Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: David Haye Vs Vitali Klitschko
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
D-MARV
Source

Vitali TKO9
MarzB
Haye got what he was looking for sorta, cept its Vitali and not Wlad. I thought Haye would have built up his profile stateside a bit more before he moved on with this but I guess he's looking at it that he's huge in the UK and if he beats Vitali, Wlad would be next.

I'm going to give the nod to Haye based on this. He's NOT a part time boxer that Vitali "IS". I don't think that anyone would consider having given this to Vitali had he not beaten Sam Peter but IMO, Sam didn't help himself too much in that fight being for the most part. He may as well have had "EVERLAST" on his head because he was a a punching bag.

Six months is a lot of time for preparation. I'm going to take athleticism over wisdom here. Haye's quicker, moves better and has better defense. I doubt he'll sit and trade with Vitali unless he knows he can take them.

Props to him for literally "TALKING" his way into a fight. Big risk equals Big reward.

I would still if I were him have another fight at heavyweight if not merely for timing sake
Method
BIG fucking MISTAKE for Team Haye. They should've gone after that little CUNT Wlad first. BIG fucking mistake. I like Haye. Big mistake going after big bro first.
JD
Agreed.

Stylistically Wlad is a worse fight for Haye, but that is nullified by the fact that he could find Little Brother's chin. Vitali is going to hurt Haye with his jab, and then bludgeon him.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(JD @ Dec 14 2008, 11:34 PM) [snapback]416503[/snapback]
Agreed.

Stylistically Wlad is a worse fight for Haye, but that is nullified by the fact that he could find Little Brother's chin. Vitali is going to hurt Haye with his jab, and then bludgeon him.

Both Klitchkos would KO him with ease..This is going to be a one sided fight just like if he fought Wlad..Also,Wlad. doesn't have a weak chin..He has a decent chin for a heavyweight but nothing great like Vitali has..
BigG
Big brother wants to do the dirty work for little brother.
JonnyBlaze
Haye maybe quicker on his feet than Vitali but with a guy like Vitali,foot speed isn't going to get the job done..His reach combined with his small calculated steps will be too much..Vitali's foot movement is something that most everyone never talks about..He is soo smart in his decisions in movement and also uses the least amount of energy he needs to moving around..I see Vitali KOing him in 6..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 15 2008, 01:46 AM) [snapback]416517[/snapback]
Big brother wants to do the dirty work for little brother.

Little brother has no option of fighting anyone besides Povetkin next..Haye is rushing into a Klitchko fight too quickly..Haye/Arreola would be the best fight for both of them next to show who the real contender is for a title..Arreola at least knows he isn't ready for a championship fight yet..
BGv2.0
IMHO...at this point this is a pick 'em fight. There are so many questions!

How will Haye deal with the size issue?
Will his chin hold up?
Will Vitali's inactivity and age actually catch up with him when he has a live opponent in front of him?

Everybody has had a major boner for Haye to fight one of these guys....and I think it's too soon. I still maintain that the size issue is such a factor that many guys get in there and freeze like a deer in headlights at that aspect.

I would really like to have seen Haye in with McCline or Thompson before he took a fight with a Klit.....but he's willing to go for broke....I wish him all the luck in the world.

I still say in relation to fighting the Klits....patience is a virtue...and testing yourself against others with their attributes would only benefit your effort.

BUT....should he beat Vitali...he would have a solid reason for a Wlad shot AND will have already been in there with that sized opponent.....so it will be interesting for sure.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Dec 15 2008, 02:04 AM) [snapback]416522[/snapback]
Will his chin hold up?

If ya look at Haye's record,his only loss was by TKO at cruiserweight..He was also put down by Jean-Marc Mormeck..Mormeck is a big puncher too..Yet,we are talking about Klitchko here and his power is on a whole other level compared to Mormeck and Carl Thompson..

Heres the Carl Thompson fight..

buford54
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Dec 15 2008, 12:57 AM) [snapback]416519[/snapback]
Haye maybe quicker on his feet than Vitali but with a guy like Vitali,foot speed isn't going to get the job done..His reach combined with his small calculated steps will be too much..Vitali's foot movement is something that most everyone never talks about..He is soo smart in his decisions in movement and also uses the least amount of energy he needs to moving around..I see Vitali KOing him in 6..

You hit it on the head, again.
Vitali doesn't rely on winding up to punch. He has a very wide stance and mostly uses his upper body to lean in and out of his punches. Against other big guys, that's pretty dumb, since they can catch him pulling straight back.
Against smaller guys it works well because they can't actually reach him.
He won't really be chasing Haye around the ring...Haye will be using a lot of energy to stay outside of Vitali pretty constant jab.

I haven't seen much of Haye, but I think his ego is writing checks that his chin won't be able to cash.
Lest we forget, Monte Barrett's biggest "win" was controversial loss to Joe Mesi. G Leon may want us to drool over his knockout of Tye Fields...but let's be realistic.
Rancer
QUOTE(buford54 @ Dec 15 2008, 09:01 AM) [snapback]416533[/snapback]
Against smaller guys it works well because they can't actually reach him.
He won't really be chasing Haye around the ring...Haye will be using a lot of energy to stay outside of Vitali pretty constant jab.

There is only one way haye will realistically beat vitali, and thats by jumping on him. Robots like the klitschos looks good when someone stands in front of them and allows them to dicate with their jab but what happens if someone if fast enough to not alow them to do it and jumps all over them and turns it into a street fight? I think they would be in trouble in that situation. Haye is very fast and that changes everything. I cant imagine him sitting at the end of vitalis jab all night. Vitali has a great chin so he picked the wrong brother but haye could win this if he turns it into a real fight. I dont think most boxing matches are real fights mind you, the sitting infront of each other playing chess is not real fighting, not enough boxers jump on someone like they just called their mum a whore. That is real fighting and takes most 'boxer's out of their game plan. Tyson used to be like that.
The CEO
If Haye tries to box with Vitali....he gets knocked out.

If Haye tries to jump on Vitali....he gets knocked THE FUCK out.

Anyway....looking foward to this fight.
salvador
QUOTE(Method @ Dec 14 2008, 11:29 PM) [snapback]416502[/snapback]
BIG fucking MISTAKE for Team Haye. They should've gone after that little CUNT Wlad first. BIG fucking mistake. I like Haye. Big mistake going after big bro first.

I'm sure it was a package deal: no chance do you fight Wlad until you fight Vitali ect. I just hope he's got an injury clause in his contract that says if Vitali gets hurt in training that Haye can go straght to Wlad.

I agree that Haye has no chance against Vitali because there's no way he's going to hurt Vitali. At least with Wlad there's the chance that Wlad's chin will cave in.

Vitali by ko in round 3.

JLUVBABY
i just read this report on fightnews and i dont think this fight is signed yet is it?... i thought vitali was fighting gomez?.. did i miss something?... all haye said was that he had a verbal commitment for june... that dont mean a thing until paper is signed... anyway vitali is the wrong klit. for haye.. haye has rushed into something, if indeed the fight happens, that is gonna get him paid.. he might even land a punch or two that gets klits. attention.... but he wont win this fight...wlad. needs a dance partner and haye should have taken one more fight at heavyweight, let wlad. fight povetken and get that fight out of the way then fight the winner... only other thing i can see is that hayes people want to cash in on him before his suspect chin gets tapped by some b or c class fighter... may as well get knocked out for the biggest bucks...lol... i'm sure it will be 2 of the craziest ring entrances in boxing history if the fight does take place...
Method
Whether he wouldve gotten KO'd or not, I STILL think baby brother Wlad is the fight that Haye should've nailed down. Wlad is a pussy, and you'd of seen his wet pussy vs Haye. Betcha he woulve been a flinchy, jumpy motherfucker at the slightest sign of aggression.
Mean Mister Mustard
My mind tells me that if Vitali was able to stand up to Lewis's bombs then Haye won't hurt him. Speed is power though and Haye has shown both, at least in the cruiserweight division. Vitali is to the best heavyweight out there. The questions I have are will Vitali's jab be quick enough to reach Haye (Haye got hit easily by some of Maccarineli's jabs, the dude thinks he's Roy Jones) and can Haye reach Vitali's chin.

And like JLUV said, this fight is not even signed yet so maybe Haye won't get KO'd in June.

By the way I hope Haye knocks out at least one of the Klitcshkos. This whole "We want to be the first brothers to consecutively hold titles" thing was cute until it actually hapened.
Lil-lightsout
If it does come off, I will take Haye by KO. I thought Vitali looked great against Peter, but he is so slow and barely threw anything meaningful in that fight. It was just a sparring session, Peter brought nothing to that fight to challenge Vitali. The biggest thing I do not like about Vitali, is the way he keeps his hands down most of the time, and I personally think Haye's speed Vitali will not be ready for. Haye definately needs to get inside the jab and not stay on the outside. Vitali always pulls back with his chin up to avoid punches, and therefore Haye should not just throw one bomb at a time. He should throw multiple hard punches at Vitali, and keep pressure on him. Hopefully having only one fight in like 4 years, this will hurt Vitali.

Having said that, I know Vitali is way tougher than his little brother, and of course Vitali could possibly KO Haye too. I just do not think Vitali is fast enough, or nearly as fluid as his brother in there, and Haye should be able to avoid his punches. Flame away.
buford54
QUOTE(Rancer @ Dec 15 2008, 09:52 AM) [snapback]416536[/snapback]
There is only one way haye will realistically beat vitali, and thats by jumping on him. Robots like the klitschos looks good when someone stands in front of them and allows them to dicate with their jab but what happens if someone if fast enough to not alow them to do it and jumps all over them and turns it into a street fight? I think they would be in trouble in that situation. Haye is very fast and that changes everything. I cant imagine him sitting at the end of vitalis jab all night. Vitali has a great chin so he picked the wrong brother but haye could win this if he turns it into a real fight. I dont think most boxing matches are real fights mind you, the sitting infront of each other playing chess is not real fighting, not enough boxers jump on someone like they just called their mum a whore. That is real fighting and takes most 'boxer's out of their game plan. Tyson used to be like that.

Haye would have to fight like Tyson to accomplish that.
He didn't fight Monte Barrett that way.
If he fights the way he fought Barrett, Vitali will catch him with 1-2's all night long.

Remember, Vitali took Lennox's best shots, and he took Cory Sander's best shots (yeah he was a bum, but he still had hand speed and a ridiculous right hook...the one that had Wlad on queer street).
I don't see Haye having the power to really hurt Vitali.
Also, Vitali is the kind of guy who, when he gets hit, seems to get angrier and more determined. When Lennox and Cory hit him, he was immediately back in their face.

Big Slim Sweet
I agree with the general sentiment here. Haye is going after the wrong Klitschko in Vitali.

Haye's going to be at a disadvantage against either one. But at least with Wlad, his shaky thirst for combat could come into play. Vitali seems pretty unflappable. He's not going to get rattled and start panicking when Haye lands one or two flashy bombs on him.

Bad choice by Haye. Don't think the Klits don't know it either. Vitali knows against who and when baby bro needs his help.

Really, really hope this fight doesn't come off.
stillperpetuallygrooving
hahaha WHO THE FUCK said that haye has better defense that vitali? haha are u serious? defense is the one thing that HAYE is lacking to be a great boxer...his defense has barely held up in the past against club fighters and second tier challegers...the first time he gets hit cleanly by vitali he will think "wtf am i doing here"...haye is nothing special, just another loud mouthed brit like junior witter who will be a distant memory, and a skidmark on the underpants of british boxing...only difference is haye ACTUALLY talked his way into the big moeny fight, whereas witter ALMOST did it, but ultimately was exposed, and just as hatton had always said, "not ready, nor worthy of stepping in the ring with the best, for a HUGE payday"....now that haye has gotten his wish, he will be put to sleep, possibly even killed...UNLESS he goes back on his word, which was "I am going to breathe life into this SUCKY, boring division...i will go toe to toe with the best and throw punches...I will not be a bore fest and put fans to sleep like wladimir", he wont last three rounds.....BUT, just maybe, if he fights a tactical fight, that may be somewhat boring, he could at least make it to the finish line without life threatening injuries, albeit still will be on the losing side of a shutout....haha i really am interested to see if haye will keep his word about being an exiciting fighter; will he go out swinging or will he go out in a borefest? the question of him winning or losing is not the issue, the issue is will he keep his word as an "exciting heavyweight"

what do ya'll think?
Michigan Assassin
I'm actually really interested in the JC Gomez - Vitali fight.

I haven't seen Gomez fight in several years because al his fights seem to be in Germany but I used to think he had some nice skills when he moved up from Cruiser.

I hope that fight is shown in the States and then if Vitali wins that this Haye fight would be an exciting heavyweight match up in the summer.
BGv2.0
QUOTE(Michigan Assassin @ Dec 15 2008, 03:28 PM) [snapback]416581[/snapback]
I'm actually really interested in the JC Gomez - Vitali fight.

WHY???? JCG is the biggest waste of space on the HW top ten.

Gomez esentually replaced Tony Tucker as the constant HW that occupies a top ten spot and does absolutely NOTHING to warrent it. I swear....back int he day....Toney Tucker could have lost a fight, went home for 2 years and sat on his couch and ate ceral in his undwear....and one day crack open a Ring magazine....and he would STILL be in the top ten.

Gomez is now that guy.

He has only had a handful of actual HW fights in many years.....many with scrubs, one of which he was KOd ugly in the first round to Diaz and he has also tested positive for drugs in one of his decesion wins over the extreamly old Oliver McCall. Who he fought twice!

The guy sucks....I don't think he brings anything to the table....BUT I do agree with you, I'd like to see him cash out and get KTFO by either Klit.
Michigan Assassin
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Dec 15 2008, 02:43 PM) [snapback]416585[/snapback]
WHY???? JCG is the biggest waste of space on the HW top ten.

Gomez esentually replaced Tony Tucker as the constant HW that occupies a top ten spot and does absolutely NOTHING to warrent it. I swear....back int he day....Toney Tucker could have lost a fight, went home for 2 years and sat on his couch and ate ceral in his undwear....and one day crack open a Ring magazine....and he would STILL be in the top ten.

Gomez is now that guy.
He has only had a handful of actual HW fights in many years.....many with scrubs, one of which he was KOd ugly in the first round to Diaz and he has also tested positive for drugs in one of his decesion wins over the extreamly old Oliver McCall. Who he fought twice!

The guy sucks....I don't think he brings anything to the table....BUT I do agree with you, I'd like to see him cash out and get KTFO by either Klit.

Thats why I want to see what he has now.

Like I say I haven't seen him for years but his skillset is pretty good but he hasn't been on US tv in years. Especially after that coke suspension was overturned.

He could make the fight with Vitali interesting, but I'd still take Vitali to get the victory.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(Method @ Dec 14 2008, 09:29 PM) [snapback]416502[/snapback]

I'm going to disagree. Personally I think this was a smart move on Haye's part. Let's face it, the older Klit is a part time fighter and is ready to be taken, IMO. Vitali didn't look all that impressive going 8 rounds with what was essentially a human punching bag. Someone who's quick on their feet with fast hands, good head movement, and good power gives the older Klit all kinds of problems, IMO.

In fact, I'm going to predict that, IF this fight comes off [big if considering the Klit's history], Haye makes the Klit quit on his stool...
Method
From Fightnews.com

Gomez: Vitali is mine!
WBC mandatory heavyweight challenger Juan Carlos Gomez has commented to claims by ex-cruiser champ David Haye that he has a deal to fight WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko. "I understand how this kid feels and what he thinks," stated Gomez. "In fact, we have a lot in common. We both used to be the best cruiserweights in the world, now we both want to become world heavyweight champions and get rid of those annoying Ukrainians. But, David, I got one advice for you: Keep your hands off Vitali. He's mine. You can go after Wladimir if you want. He will be easier to handle for you anyways. If you desperately want to fight Vitali you will have to wait until I stripped his belt from him. After we dethroned both Klitschko sisters we can go on and find out one on one who is the best heavyweight fighter in the world if you want. It will be my honor and pleasure to beat you up to become undisputed heavyweight champion of the world."
Douchebag
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Dec 15 2008, 03:09 PM) [snapback]416589[/snapback]
I'm going to disagree. Personally I think this was a smart move on Haye's part. Let's face it, the older Klit is a part time fighter and is ready to be taken, IMO. Vitali didn't look all that impressive going 8 rounds with what was essentially a human punching bag. Someone who's quick on their feet with fast hands, good head movement, and good power gives the older Klit all kinds of problems, IMO.

In fact, I'm going to predict that, IF this fight comes off [big if considering the Klit's history], Haye makes the Klit quit on his stool...

Let's not forget history and the fact that Vatali quit because of his fucked up shoulder. Bar some injury I don't see him quiting at all. I do think that Haye has to make this a street fight to push Vitali out of his comfort zone, but if Big Klit has even a little bit of th fight left in him that he had in the fight with Lenox Lewis it won't be enough. Big Klit by KO in the middle rounds.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Method @ Dec 15 2008, 04:23 PM) [snapback]416594[/snapback]
WBC mandatory heavyweight challenger Juan Carlos Gomez has commented to claims by ex-cruiser champ David Haye that he has a deal to fight WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko. "I understand how this kid feels and what he thinks," stated Gomez. "In fact, we have a lot in common. We both used to be the best cruiserweights in the world, now we both want to become world heavyweight champions and get rid of those annoying Ukrainians. But, David, I got one advice for you: Keep your hands off Vitali. He's mine. You can go after Wladimir if you want. He will be easier to handle for you anyways. If you desperately want to fight Vitali you will have to wait until I stripped his belt from him. After we dethroned both Klitschko sisters we can go on and find out one on one who is the best heavyweight fighter in the world if you want. It will be my honor and pleasure to beat you up to become undisputed heavyweight champion of the world."

LMAO. It's gay day today on fighthype I swear.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Dec 15 2008, 02:26 PM) [snapback]416595[/snapback]
Let's not forget history and the fact that Vatali quit because of his fucked up shoulder.

If that's the case then why did Byrd never get the rematch?

Bar some injury I don't see him quiting at all. I do think that Haye has to make this a street fight to push Vitali out of his comfort zone, but if Big Klit has even a little bit of th fight left in him that he had in the fight with Lenox Lewis it won't be enough. Big Klit by KO in the middle rounds.

I think people have forgotten exactly what the older Klit's reputation is based on - two losses.

The guy has fought ONCE in four years against a guy who did his best imitation of an Everlast heavy bag, and spent much of those four years on the sidelines because of injuries. The Lennox fight was a LONG time ago, and again, that was a LOSS. The best thing Vitali proved in the Lennox fight was that he could take hard punches from an old, tired, out of shape HW Champion for six rounds. However, Vitali's losing effort against Lennox also proved that he couldn't get out of the way of punches coming from an old, tired, and out of shape HW Champion - hence the various cuts around his eye. Lennox landed EVERYTHING he threw @ Vitali.
Michigan Assassin
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Dec 15 2008, 03:48 PM) [snapback]416602[/snapback]
If that's the case then why did Byrd never get the rematch?
I think people have forgotten exactly what the older Klit's reputation is based on - two losses.

The guy has fought ONCE in four years against a guy who did his best imitation of an Everlast heavy bag, and spent much of those four years on the sidelines because of injuries. The Lennox fight was a LONG time ago, and again, that was a LOSS. The best thing Vitali proved in the Lennox fight was that he could take hard punches from an old, tired, out of shape HW Champion for six rounds. However, Vitali's losing effort against Lennox also proved that he couldn't get out of the way of punches coming from an old, tired, and out of shape HW Champion - hence the various cuts around his eye. Lennox landed EVERYTHING he threw @ Vitali.

Agreed although I will say that in the LL fight Vitali pretty much had to turn it into a brawl and try to get Lewis out of there after that cut. He had to know they were only gonna give it a couple more rounds and he had to try to KO Lennox before the could stop it.

Other than that fight VK fits like the big man he is and his defense is pretty good for a big guy.

I do think Haye's handspeed will give him some problems but I still have doubts about Haye's ability to take a punch. Especially from a big puncher like VK.
JLUVBABY
By the way I hope Haye knocks out at least one of the Klitcshkos. This whole "We want to be the first brothers to consecutively hold titles" thing was cute until it actually hapened.
[/quote]

it wouldn't be half bad if they had opponents to actually give them a fight... or shall i say would actually fight back...sam peter hardly mounted an offense against vitali... he had all kinds of punchers chance in that fight and never took advantage.. same thing with rahman.. he had a punchers chance and didnt take advantage to at least try to rough up the fight to open wlad. up for a shot...
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(Michigan Assassin @ Dec 15 2008, 03:05 PM) [snapback]416604[/snapback]
I do think Haye's handspeed will give him some problems but I still have doubts about Haye's ability to take a punch. Especially from a big puncher like VK.

I have my reservations about the older Klit's ability to land a big punch on a faster opponent. Sure, he was beating Byrd, but Byrd was making him miss, badly - and that was how many years ago?

And exactly how many quick heavyweights has the older Klit beaten?
Michigan Assassin
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Dec 15 2008, 05:18 PM) [snapback]416615[/snapback]
it wouldn't be half bad if they had opponents to actually give them a fight... or shall i say would actually fight back...sam peter hardly mounted an offense against vitali... he had all kinds of punchers chance in that fight and never took advantage.. same thing with rahman.. he had a punchers chance and didnt take advantage to at least try to rough up the fight to open wlad. up for a shot...

Sam Peter's performance againt Vitali was even worse than Rahman. We knew Rock had nothing to offer but Peter's unwillingness to throw anything was absolutey disgusting. And then to quit on his stool and not give the crowd the satisfaction of seeing him KTFO pissed me off.

I hope we don't see to much of Peter and no more of the Rock after these performances.
FenderDG3
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Dec 15 2008, 12:04 AM) [snapback]416522[/snapback]
IMHO...at this point this is a pick 'em fight. There are so many questions!

How will Haye deal with the size issue?
Will his chin hold up?
Will Vitali's inactivity and age actually catch up with him when he has a live opponent in front of him?
Everybody has had a major boner for Haye to fight one of these guys....and I think it's too soon. I still maintain that the size issue is such a factor that many guys get in there and freeze like a deer in headlights at that aspect.

I would really like to have seen Haye in with McCline or Thompson before he took a fight with a Klit.....but he's willing to go for broke....I wish him all the luck in the world.

I still say in relation to fighting the Klits....patience is a virtue...and testing yourself against others with their attributes would only benefit your effort.

BUT....should he beat Vitali...he would have a solid reason for a Wlad shot AND will have already been in there with that sized opponent.....so it will be interesting for sure.

This is exactly what I was going to post once I got done reading thru the thread! So I cosign...
D-MARV
QUOTE(Michigan Assassin @ Dec 15 2008, 05:30 PM) [snapback]416619[/snapback]
Sam Peter's performance againt Vitali was even worse than Rahman. We knew Rock had nothing to offer but Peter's unwillingness to throw anything was absolutey disgusting. And then to quit on his stool and not give the crowd the satisfaction of seeing him KTFO pissed me off.

I hope we don't see to much of Peter and no more of the Rock after these performances.

The Peter fight didn't surprise me at all... The only shocking element of that fight was Sam Peter left conscience. PETER SUCKS
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Dec 15 2008, 09:55 PM) [snapback]416683[/snapback]
The Peter fight didn't surprise me at all... The only shocking element of that fight was Sam Peter left conscience. PETER SUCKS

That's real funny you say that Peter sucks but you got a weird craze for Arreola..Peter has better skills and comes into fights in shape and can go the 12 round distance..Arreola has to just go in for the KO cause he knows if he gets in deep water,he'll drown..
Douchebag
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Dec 15 2008, 08:55 PM) [snapback]416683[/snapback]

I thought he would do better than he did against Vitali based on his performance and against Wlad.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Dec 15 2008, 11:44 PM) [snapback]416730[/snapback]
I thought he would do better than he did against Vitali based on his performance and against Wlad.

Wlad created Peters downfall if ya ask me..After that fight he was never the same..Wlad rocked him in the 12th and I think that made Peter become weaker mentally after that..After seeing the recent Toney fight,ya all should know that Toney wasn't himself in the Peter fights which made it easier for Peter to get the W..Peter did pick up some extra skill from the 2 fights with Toney though..He broke down mentally against Vitali and basically told himself that he wasn't going to be able to get off AT ALL so he barely even tried..
King Eugene
Haye is finally talking like he has some since. I still hope he stops Vitali though.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=17492
JonnyBlaze
They are planning the fight for June???That's bogus as hell..
King Eugene
I swear these guys are killing me fighting twice a year. Why the hell are they waiting all the way until June. I think 4 months in between fights is just enough time.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Dec 16 2008, 03:50 AM) [snapback]416772[/snapback]
I swear these guys are killing me fighting twice a year. Why the hell are they waiting all the way until June. I think 4 months in between fights is just enough time.

I've been sayin this stuff for a long time now..Twice a year is really bad and 4 times a year is bad too..The only reason to wait to get back in the ring is for a short rest after a hard camp and if you got cut or if the fight was a brutal one..

I may sound like a broken record with this but Willie Pep had been known to fight 4-5 times in 1 week!!!There is only 1 Pep though..Ray Robinson could do 5 fights easy in a month..James Toney always did talk about "I want to get back in there next month" and it never happened..Toney has more fights than any active fighter now though..I think Wlad. Klitchko is the only guy who I see racking up more fights than Toney..He has 55 fights and is only 32..He is still real young for a heavyweight..Most heavyweights prime around 30-35..Closer to 35 too..Paul Williams is still real young so it's hard to say how long he'll stick around but he is one of the more active fighters these days..
King Eugene
Yea but at the same time we do have to understand these guys do have families and other stuff going on in their lives besides boxing. But I still say 4 fights a year should be a minimum. Atleast one fight a quarter.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Dec 16 2008, 04:08 AM) [snapback]416780[/snapback]
Yea but at the same time we do have to understand these guys do have families and other stuff going on in their lives besides boxing. But I still say 4 fights a year should be a minimum. Atleast one fight a quarter.

Yeah,you're right about the family thing..Yet,some boxers like B-Hop and Mayweather live in the gym and are always ready..There are a lot of other guys like that too so if they are constantly in a beginning or maybe even middle stage of a training camp year round,why not have more fights??Those kinda guys box because they love boxing and not because of money or anything..4 fights a year should be minimum unless you get hurt training or if you get cut or KO'd in one of your fights..I forget the rule about how long you have to wait before getting back in the ring after being KO'd..Anyone remember the time period??90 days is my guess..
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Dec 16 2008, 03:03 AM) [snapback]416777[/snapback]
I've been sayin this stuff for a long time now..Twice a year is really bad and 4 times a year is bad too..The only reason to wait to get back in the ring is for a short rest after a hard camp and if you got cut or if the fight was a brutal one..

I may sound like a broken record with this but Willie Pep had been known to fight 4-5 times in 1 week!!!There is only 1 Pep though..Ray Robinson could do 5 fights easy in a month..James Toney always did talk about "I want to get back in there next month" and it never happened..Toney has more fights than any active fighter now though..I think Wlad. Klitchko is the only guy who I see racking up more fights than Toney..He has 55 fights and is only 32..He is still real young for a heavyweight..Most heavyweights prime around 30-35..Closer to 35 too..Paul Williams is still real young so it's hard to say how long he'll stick around but he is one of the more active fighters these days..

It has got to be mostly the money issue. The fighters way back probably made very little money compared to now, so they had to fight more to earn a living. Plus it is more of a business today then a sport, and there are too many politics involved with making fights. I have said this before, it would be nice even if these champs would fight tune-ups, like Chavez did, just to stay sharp and let your fans get to see you fight.

I remember Toney always saying that shit too, then you would not see him for a while. LOL
ROLL DEEP
4 times per year is fine by me.

Think if all the top fighters fought that often.....there would be great fights on all the time, instead of us having to wait weeks and weeks for a decent match up or to see a good fighter have a scrap.

I don't expect fighters to fight as many times as they used to. Like people have said, they have families and can make enough money without having to fight every week, but fighting once or twice a year? That sucks and is damaging boxing.
JonnyBlaze
Do you think Paul Williams is fighting for money right now??Hell naw,he is fighting for pride and to prove he is the best..He is making visits at 3 different weight classes to get fights..

If I go pro one day,you can bet your asses it wouldn't be for money..The money would only be a bonus..I've said it many times,it's all about the art to me and nothing else..To master boxing would be my dream come true,not making millions of dollars..
Fitz
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Dec 17 2008, 01:01 PM) [snapback]416907[/snapback]
Do you think Paul Williams is fighting for money right now??Hell naw,he is fighting for pride and to prove he is the best..He is making visits at 3 different weight classes to get fights..

If I go pro one day,you can bet your asses it wouldn't be for money..The money would only be a bonus..I've said it many times,it's all about the art to me and nothing else..To master boxing would be my dream come true,not making millions of dollars..

I like Paul Williams, but he has fought Kolle and Phillips. That's not exactly fighting for greatness yet, it seems to be just staying active as nobody wants to fight him now.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 16 2008, 10:31 PM) [snapback]416915[/snapback]
I like Paul Williams, but he has fought Kolle and Phillips. That's not exactly fighting for greatness yet, it seems to be just staying active as nobody wants to fight him now.

Exactly..I know Phillips and Kolle are the best but he wants to make a point that he'll fight anyone who is willing and not many are willing..None of the champs want him..It must really suck to be in his shoes..If no one will fight him,he has to go to the lower levels against guys who would be making a huge statement and bringing themselves on the map or back on the map as a major player in Phillips case..
King Eugene
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Dec 16 2008, 09:01 PM) [snapback]416907[/snapback]

You say that now but I'd believe it when you actually pass up a low risk high reward fight for a high risk mediocre reward fight.

If you go pro one day you better stay on this forum bored so if you get your ass whooped we can clown you about it. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.