Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hopkins reponds to Calzaghe.
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Mean Mister Mustard
Hopkins livid over Calzaghe's comments
Posted December 13th 2008 at 12:17am
By Michael RosenthalBuzz up!

Bernard Hopkins has two words for Joe Calzaghe: “Shut up.”

Calzaghe, THE RING light heavyweight champ who is mulling retirement, told the Associated Press a few days ago that he’s glad he’ll soon be leaving the sport because it’s in dire shape.

“I think boxing is a dying sport. Globally – in America for instance – you've got UFC, which has taken a lot off boxing, business-wise," Calzaghe said.

He went on: “There is too much politics in boxing, too many belts and too many champions, which dilutes real champions like myself. There are four world champions in each division and it's bad because there are no stars any more. It's a big problem.”

Calzaghe also took a shot at boxing in the United States, pointing out that only one American (Deontay Wilder) won a medal in the 2008 Olympics.

“America only had one medalist in the Olympics this year," Calzaghe said. "In Britain, we did pretty good, but I'm glad I'm ending my career and not starting it because I don't think it's going to be that great in the future.”

Hopkins, who lost a close decision to Calzaghe in April and wants a rematch, finds Calzaghe’s comments both interesting and infuriating, the latter because of his enduring love of the sport and probably because it remains his livlihood.

The former middleweight titleholder pointed out that Calzaghe does not attract many fans outside his native Wales, meaning he’s part of the problem. Even Englishman Ricky Hatton, Hopkins said, has a bigger following than Calzaghe.

“I don’t know where he’s been, on Mars or something,” Hopkins said. “Maybe he missed the numbers that (Oscar De La Hoya-Manny Pacquaio) generated – 1.25 million pay-per-view buys in a recession. That’s 70, 80 million dollars in revenue. And he’s says boxing is dead?

“Maybe it’s dead when he fights.”

Hopkins was just getting started.

“If he wants to retire, he should go ahead and retire and keep his mouth shut. He has his wins (this year), his undefeated record. He should go join his family. Other than that, he should shut up. And tell him Bernard says that.”

Calzaghe wasn’t finished either. He also made some comments about De La Hoya after his dismal performance on Saturday, indicating that he didn’t want to go out in a similar manner.

“De La Hoya hasn’t been a real fighter for years,” he told walesonline.co.uk. “You can’t fault the guy because he has been a great fighter in the past and made so much money from the sport. But, realistically, he has been a part-time boxer for years.”

De La Hoya has fought four times in the past 2 years.

“That’s jealousy, envy,” said Hopkins, a partner in De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions. “They [Calzaghe vs. Roy Jones Jr.] didn’t do well on pay-per-view, under 300,000. So when you start hearing things like that, it’s just jealousy. …

“It’s easy to kick someone when they’re down. I’m not saying this because I’m his friend and a partner, but Oscar’s record speaks for itself. Look at what he’s acccomplished over 20 years.”

I like how HBO thought because Jones-Trinidad did 500 000 buys that jones-Zaghe would do the same or better, completely overlooking the fact that Zaghe is not even known outside boxing or even liked by the fans and that Jones hadn't won a significant fight in 5 years. Then they put a shit undercard to top it all off. Doesn't HBO pay people to... ah whatever.
JonnyBlaze
I am a part of the hate wagon of Calzaghe,but this raises my hate for him by 100%..To say this kinda shit about boxing and other fighters is FUCKED UP!!!It's too bad that Hopkins can't fight him one more time..I feel stupid for even saying anything good about him in the past..FUCK THAT BITCH ASS FAGGOT!!!!
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Do you think we should add Nard to the hate wagon? I'm sure he'd be happy to join up. We could give him the title of Ring General or something.
King Eugene
QUOTE(the ollie reed fan club @ Dec 15 2008, 03:09 AM) [snapback]416527[/snapback]
Do you think we should add Nard to the hate wagon? I'm sure he'd be happy to join up. We could give him the title of Ring General or something.

LOL you crazy
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE(3King3 @ Dec 15 2008, 03:46 AM) [snapback]416528[/snapback]
LOL you crazy

I'm not crazy, I think every society needs an honorary President and Nard is the man for the job.

After all he got to do what all of us would love to-punch Joe in the mouth.

Nard for President of the hatewagon!

CEO add him.
The CEO
laugh.gif....that's a great idea, torfc....I'll go ahead and add him.

You know...back when I ran The Hatton Hate Wagon....both Frank Warren and Luis Collazo contacted me personally....asking to be on it....

Byrd Man
Wow Hopkins is coming off pretty desperate to goad Calzaghe into another fight. I'd be willing to bet that Hopkins doesn't give a shit what Calzaghe said, or whether he thinks boxing is dead or not. He wants another fight, and Calzaghe won't give it to him so now Hopkins is acting like a bitch and crying and insulting him.

When's the "Your momma's a slut" line coming from Hopkins?

Man it's sad to see a grown man beg like this.
Mean Mister Mustard
William Dettloff said something interesting about Zaghe's comments and that is that why is he complaining about too many titles when he himself carried around the WBO belts fighting nobodies for years and then has the audacity to say he's been champ for a decade. Can't have it both ways Joey.
Douchebag
Fuck that whole calzaghe clan. Him and his father need to just suck on exhaust fumes.
stillperpetuallygrooving
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Dec 15 2008, 12:31 PM) [snapback]416558[/snapback]
Fuck that whole calzaghe clan. Him and his father need to just suck on exhaust fumes.

finally something i can agree with the masses on this board...WE ALL SHARE HATE FOR JOE CALZAGHE....you see, joe is the guy a lot of you think that oscar is....BUT OSCAR WAS A REAL CHAMPION, joe never was, nor will he ever be...that being said, he will probably still have a spot reserved for him in the history of pugilism...if he would just fight some more REAL CHALLENGERS, that would actually have an effect on the overall division then i would show him the respect he wants in america, but cant get...that is why he has been lashing out at american boxers and boxing lately, because he KNOWS that american fight fans make fun of him for his slapping style and that no one likes him or cared about him until a year or two ago...hahaha he is pissed because he was not accepted by the american boxing community like ricky hatton was...it is so obvious that he wants to be remembered like a roy jones, or a bernard hopkins, and he thinks that because he beat them (he really only beat the former, in my opinion) he should be labeled as a legend...he fails to realize that what made them legends were not a hyped up, PROTECTED for a decade undefeated record, or beating former champs that no longer rank in the top...WHAT made them legends in the sport was the fact taht they took on all comers during their reign, ACTUALLY had REAL POWER and threw REAL PUNCHES. their showmanship and exciting styles and fights are something that calzaghe CAN NEVER EVER EMULATE, despite desperately trying...he wins matches by touching his gloves to his opponents body more times then they touch him, which i guess is the definition of winning a boxing match, HOWEVER, it is not how you "win" in the bigger picture of the sport...he is a punk made bitch that deserves no mention once he retires...UNLESS he steps up to the plate and takes on chad dawson, WIN OR LOSE, ill respect him...

That being said, where do ya'll think he will be placed on the infamous "all-time" list of boxing? top 5? HAHA NEVER...top 10, 25, 50, 100? I can see ESPN classic's "best all time boxers" in twenty years placing him somewhere in the top 50, MAYBE at the bottom of the top 25 if he fights chad dawson, or other REAL CHALLENGERS....if he retires right now, he'll be like 40th or something on their made up list...
mrwigi
glad to see im not the only one who doesnt like calzaghe.
Rabbit Punch2
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Dec 15 2008, 09:17 AM) [snapback]416557[/snapback]
William Dettloff said something interesting about Zaghe's comments and that is that why is he complaining about too many titles when he himself carried around the WBO belts fighting nobodies for years and then has the audacity to say he's been champ for a decade. Can't have it both ways Joey.

Exactly. What a classless fraud. He makes millions from the sport that he helped damaged with his bogus title reigns and insomnia curing style. Take a hike, Joe. You will not be remembered in a sport that will be around forever. You are a superfluous footnote.
BoxingStill#1
Cal is acting just like I thought he would.......so is hopkins....
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(Rabbit Punch2 @ Dec 15 2008, 02:38 PM) [snapback]416584[/snapback]
Exactly. What a classless fraud. He makes millions from the sport that he helped damaged with his bogus title reigns

clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif

Best post I've read in a while! Spot on.
JD
If Calzaghe did so much as ONE THING to help the sport of boxing, he could talk...otherwise, he should kindly shut the fuck up, and be thankful that the sport he now ridicules, set him up for life.
STEVENSKI
The best thing Calzaghe could do is just kill himself.
Byrd Man
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Dec 16 2008, 04:55 PM) [snapback]416869[/snapback]

Another brilliant observation by the #1 hater on the site.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Dec 16 2008, 04:55 PM) [snapback]416869[/snapback]

shok.gif Man, you are crazy. I can not believe some of the shit you say, and for some strange reason because its you, I end up laughing. It would be nice if you would surprise us with some posts with some actual responses that have to do with boxing.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Byrd Man @ Dec 16 2008, 05:12 PM) [snapback]416870[/snapback]
Another brilliant observation by the #1 hater on the site.

The way you defend boxers all the time I think maybe you are Chris Byrd but that can't be because Chris Byrd has balls.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Dec 16 2008, 10:33 PM) [snapback]416874[/snapback]
It would be nice if you would surprise us with some posts with some actual responses that have to do with boxing.

Man you crazy. It has everything to do with boxing. The undertaker would be boxing up his corpse. His wife would be getting her box stuffed by his best mate & we would be dancing on his grave. Everyone wins.

Actually I was lying about his best mate. We all know he has no mates.
Mean Mister Mustard
By the way Byrdman you know I was kidding. Byrdman is one of the nice guys of the boeard who will defend any fighter even if the fighter is an asshole.

Still, if any fighter today deserves to be made fun of it has to be Calzaghe.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Dec 16 2008, 06:01 PM) [snapback]416877[/snapback]
Man you crazy. It has everything to do with boxing. The undertaker would be boxing up his corpse. His wife would be getting her box stuffed by his best mate & we would be dancing on his grave. Everyone wins.
Actually I was lying about his best mate. We all know he has no mates.

WTF!!! Where and how the hell do you think this shit up? You got me in tears here, and I know I should not be laughing at this.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Dec 16 2008, 11:38 PM) [snapback]416880[/snapback]
WTF!!! Where and how the hell do you think this shit up? You got me in tears here, and I know I should not be laughing at this.

Maybe you & Enzo could share a 1/2 pint together because you would be the only ones sad at Joe's sudden end. Be careful though because Enzo would try & get you drunk just to get you into bed so he could have a threesome with you being the meat between Enzo & his favourite sheep Mark.
stillperpetuallygrooving
so where do ya'll think calzaghe ranks all time if he retires today, and never fights another round?

lets try and put our hate aside for this douche knuckle and seriously think about it...seeing as how rocky marciano went undefeated and rarely cracks the top 20, i dont see calzaghe having a a noteable spot on the all time list...marciano, despite fighting in the post prime joe louis era, still fought way more competition than calzaghe...and if marciano, who actually was VERY popular and had an exciting style, cant get a lot of love, no way joey is...

joe will be the 48th best boxer of all time when its all said and done, UNLESS he continues fighting on...unfortunately, if he gets to like 50-0 with wins over top prime fighters like chad dawson he might have a chance at top 20, NO WAY he gets top ten, though....if he loses then he will drop to 63rd best boxer of all time....YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST

-all time rankings will be based on ring magazine, and/or espn.
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Dec 16 2008, 06:01 PM) [snapback]416877[/snapback]
His wife would be getting her box stuffed by his best mate

laugh.gif
Byrd Man
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Dec 16 2008, 06:00 PM) [snapback]416876[/snapback]
The way you defend boxers all the time I think maybe you are Chris Byrd but that can't be because Chris Byrd has balls.

Ba dum tshhhh!
streetlion1
QUOTE(Byrd Man @ Dec 15 2008, 11:44 AM) [snapback]416548[/snapback]
Wow Hopkins is coming off pretty desperate to goad Calzaghe into another fight. I'd be willing to bet that Hopkins doesn't give a shit what Calzaghe said, or whether he thinks boxing is dead or not. He wants another fight, and Calzaghe won't give it to him so now Hopkins is acting like a bitch and crying and insulting him.

When's the "Your momma's a slut" line coming from Hopkins?

Man it's sad to see a grown man beg like this.

B-Hop aint beggin for nothing he is just telling it like it is! CalSlappy is a pussy and doesnt wanna fight Hopkins again because he was given a gift victory in their first fight.

Slappy does need to shut the fuck up and retire if thats what he's going to do....if not then the Paper Pussy should do something for the sport he says is "dying" (which is bullshit) and make a fight that people actually want to see. A rematch with B-Hop or fight a young beast like Dawson.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Dec 17 2008, 07:43 PM) [snapback]417185[/snapback]
Slappy does need to shut the fuck up and retire if thats what he's going to do....if not then the Paper Pussy should do something for the sport he says is "dying" (which is bullshit) and make a fight that people actually want to see. A rematch with B-Hop or fight a young beast like Dawson.

Very well said.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.