Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who had the more impressive career?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Nay_Sayer
Thoughts?
The CEO
"impressive" doesn't come to mind when I see those names....
Lil-lightsout
Both were majorally impressive at avoiding tougher fights and staying in there respective homelands. Both were obviously real good champions though, I just wish they would have come to the states in there primes and fought our best fighters.
Big Slim Sweet
Two sweaty balls in one hand, a pair of hairy testicles in the other.

Sorry, that whole 'gay' flame war from the DLH quitter thread's still on the brain I guess.
BrutalBodyShots
Did Dariusz ever leave Germany to fight? To me if you aren't willing to leave your home turf that isn't impressive. At least Calzaghe has been willing to dabble in the US in some of his more recent fights. Aside from that the only noteworthy wins that I can remember from Dariusz were over Hill and Griffen. And he also ended his career with 2 losses. So given that I'd say Calzaghe has had a more successful career, and it isn't even over yet.

ROLL DEEP
I'd probably say Calzaghe

*shudders*

the WBO......what a wicked title.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 15 2008, 03:44 PM) [snapback]416609[/snapback]
Aside from that the only noteworthy wins that I can remember from Dariusz were over Hill and Griffen. And he also ended his career with 2 losses. So given that I'd say Calzaghe has had a more successful career, and it isn't even over yet.

Dariusz beat Hill when Virgil was 43-1, having only lost to Thomas Hearns, for THE title @ LHW.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 15 2008, 09:44 PM) [snapback]416609[/snapback]
Did Dariusz ever leave Germany to fight? To me if you aren't willing to leave your home turf that isn't impressive. At least Calzaghe has been willing to dabble in the US in some of his more recent fights. Aside from that the only noteworthy wins that I can remember from Dariusz were over Hill and Griffen. And he also ended his career with 2 losses. So given that I'd say Calzaghe has had a more successful career, and it isn't even over yet.

Did that piece of trash Roy ever leave his homeland? Nuff said really DM was the lineal & true 175lb champion.

Zags to his credit became undisputed champion of 168 which is a difficult feat to achieve in this day & age.
BigG
Calfaggy....
BigG
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Dec 15 2008, 10:32 PM) [snapback]416620[/snapback]
Did that piece of trash Roy ever leave his homeland? Nuff said really DM was the lineal & true 175lb champion.

Zags to his credit became undisputed champion of 168 which is a difficult feat to achieve in this day & age.

Too bad RJJ was always seen as the P4P King and best Light-Heavyweight while Dariusz was going life and death with Richard Hall 2x, and lost his belt to a RJJ shutout victim, Julio Gonzalez.

Who cares if he was lineal champ. He was even fighting worse opposition than Roy was. The current "Lineal" Champ at 175 is named Zsolt Erdei and he's also fighting bums. Noone even cares about him.
The CEO
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Dec 15 2008, 05:32 PM) [snapback]416620[/snapback]

What the FUCK's goin' on??!!....you're the Sergeant at Arms, and you're giving him credit, STEVE....

Calslapsghe set up shop in and owned a WASTELAND.....he then beat green stalker, a B level stand up, an old Hopkins, and a dead Jones.

phewwwww....there....that's better.

STEVENSKI
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 15 2008, 10:58 PM) [snapback]416627[/snapback]
Too bad RJJ was always seen as the P4P King and best Light-Heavyweight while Dariusz was going life and death with Richard Hall 2x, and lost his belt to a RJJ shutout victim, Julio Gonzalez.

Who cares if he was lineal champ. He was even fighting worse opposition than Roy was. The current "Lineal" Champ at 175 is named Zsolt Erdei and he's also fighting bums. Noone even cares about him.

Shut your face G. It is not a popularity contest it is about who the champ is & Roy was never the champ at 175. He was a drug using silver medal crying lineal champion ducking SOB. I laugh when I think about in 100 years he will be remembered as a silver medalist & never got the gold.

QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Dec 15 2008, 11:34 PM) [snapback]416631[/snapback]
What the FUCK's goin' on??!!....you're the Sergeant at Arms, and you're giving him credit, STEVE....

I felt sick typing that. I was trying to rationalise the irrational. I am sorry for disgracing my good name as a hater. I will try & do better in future.

BigG
Shut your face G. It is not a popularity contest it is about who the champ is & Roy was never the champ at 175. He was a drug using silver medal crying lineal champion ducking SOB. I laugh when I think about in 100 years he will be remembered as a silver medalist & never got the gold.

Roy was Superman and my childhood hero...so you can go to hell!
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 15 2008, 11:50 PM) [snapback]416639[/snapback]
Roy was Superman and my childhood hero...so you can go to hell!

Yeah yeah, Superman used foreign substanced to give himself a advantage too. Hardly suprising you take a shine to another guy who used PE's as well. His kryptonite was his fine china chin.
The CEO
I felt sick typing that. I was trying to rationalise the irrational. I am sorry for disgracing my good name as a hater. I will try & do better in future.

laugh.gif

No apology necessary....and your name will never be tarnished as far as I'm concerned.....

Looking at it now....you probably said that due to some residual Hate of another fighter....namely Jones....I'm thinking it made you indirectly give a little credit to Calzaghe....I think they call that collateral damage or something.....
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Dec 15 2008, 11:56 PM) [snapback]416641[/snapback]
laugh.gif

No apology necessary....and your name will never be tarnished.....

Looking at it now....you probably said that due to some residual Hate of another fighter....namely Jones....I'm thinking it made you indirectly give a little credit to Calzaghe....I think they call that collateral damage.....

Man you are so right. My hate of Roy blinded me to my hate for Zags. Sometimes it is so strong it is like comparing Absinthe to low alcohol beer.
BigG
Roy Jones TRUE kryptonite was a man that is SO underrated by many fans ANTONIO TARVER!
The CEO
laugh.gif....yep.......and hey....did you notice where I edited in "as far as I'm concerned"?....I added that because I can't speak for the crybabies who bitch about you wishing terrible things upon fighters....laugh.gif
The CEO
Y'all post too God Damn fast....I'm not editing in any more quotes the rest of this year....
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 16 2008, 12:00 AM) [snapback]416645[/snapback]
Roy Jones TRUE kryptonite was a man that is SO underrated many fans ANTONIO TARVER!

Tarver used loaded gloves in that fight. Loaded up with a pipe full of crack for the end of round stamina boost. he was in a hurry to get a hit so he knocked his man out.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 15 2008, 06:00 PM) [snapback]416645[/snapback]
Roy Jones TRUE kryptonite was a man that is SO underrated many fans ANTONIO TARVER!

tarver beat a shot roy jones.. jones was never the same after dropping back down from heavyweight... at his best tarver never touches jones.. not even close.
Big Slim Sweet
Tarver's left was what made Roy shot.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Dec 16 2008, 12:14 AM) [snapback]416653[/snapback]
tarver beat a shot roy jones.. jones was never the same after dropping back down from heavyweight... at his best tarver never touches jones.. not even close.

Sure sure. How was Roy shot? He was still P4P #1 & the so called best fighter alive. Fishing for excuses will get you nowhere fast.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Dec 15 2008, 06:20 PM) [snapback]416658[/snapback]
Sure sure. How was Roy shot? He was still P4P #1 & the so called best fighter alive. Fishing for excuses will get you nowhere fast.

to hate a fighter is one thing... to see a fighter and how his career progresses and degresses and speak on it unbiased is another... can you honestly say to yourself that roy was the same fighter at light heavy when he moved back down from heavyweight? its not fishing for excuses it is what it is... tarver is a shit fighter who's name was made off a declining roy jones... going into the first tarver fight he was still considered p4p for good reason..
BigG
The weight DEFINITELY f*cked Roy up..but Roy wasn't shot in that fight like he was for the Hanshaw, Tito, Calzaghe fights...
alaganza
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 15 2008, 07:00 PM) [snapback]416645[/snapback]
Roy Jones TRUE kryptonite was a man that is SO underrated by many fans ANTONIO TARVER!

Not so sure that's true. Roy's downfall was his lack of boxing fundamentals. It's not too often that Roy was a better boxer than the guy across the ring. But rather Roy was a better athlete. The problem was that once he began to slow down (which by the way you can see signs of that in the Clinton Woods fight) he had nothing to fall back on. Roy's kryptonite was Roy.

Fighters know fighters. So it's no wonder that Roy stayed away from certain guys throughout his career. Some of the guys he avoided could have quite possibly been able to box well enough to overcome the athletic advantage Roy had.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 15 2008, 06:28 PM) [snapback]416660[/snapback]
The weight DEFINITELY f*cked Roy up..but Roy wasn't shot in that fight like he was for the Hanshaw, Tito, Calzaghe fights...

he wasnt as shot but he wasnt the roy jones of old.. rj as he liked to call himself.. something was lost coming back down.. his body never even looked the same... he looked drained...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(alaganza @ Dec 15 2008, 06:30 PM) [snapback]416661[/snapback]
Not so sure that's true. Roy's downfall was his lack of boxing fundamentals. It's not too often that Roy was a better boxer than the guy across the ring. But rather Roy was a better athlete. The problem was that once he began to slow down (which by the way you can see signs of that in the Clinton Woods fight) he had nothing to fall back on. Roy's kryptonite was Roy.

Fighters know fighters. So it's no wonder that Roy stayed away from certain guys throughout his career. Some of the guys he avoided could have quite possibly been able to box well enough to overcome the athletic advantage Roy had.

i'd like to know who a prime roy jones stayed away from that could have possibly out boxed him...?....
D-MARV
Easy One... Calzaghe
King Eugene
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Dec 15 2008, 07:14 PM) [snapback]416653[/snapback]

Man usually I'd be 100% with you about Jones but Tarver did not fight a shot Jones. Jones beat Tarver the first time cause of his heart and he was drained when he did it. The second time Jones won the first round and just got caught. The third fight he had no confidence cause Johnson took it from him. Jones was shot the third fight but not the second one.
King Eugene
QUOTE(alaganza @ Dec 15 2008, 07:30 PM) [snapback]416661[/snapback]

Like?
King Eugene
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Dec 15 2008, 08:49 PM) [snapback]416678[/snapback]
Easy One... Calzaghe

Shittin me. I would have given BHop a better shot at a prime Jones than I would have given Calzaghe at a prime Jones.
D-MARV
QUOTE(3King3 @ Dec 15 2008, 09:05 PM) [snapback]416686[/snapback]
Shittin me. I would have given BHop a better shot at a prime Jones than I would have given Calzaghe at a prime Jones.

LOL... I was answering the question in the Thread Title.
King Eugene
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Dec 15 2008, 09:07 PM) [snapback]416688[/snapback]
LOL... I was answering the question in the Thread Title.

laugh.gif Oh my bad, you almost got me worked up.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Dec 15 2008, 07:19 PM) [snapback]416656[/snapback]
Tarver's left was what made Roy shot.

I do not know if you agree with me on this, but I would say that one punch RUINED Roy completely. And his legacy will be forever tarnished from the aftermath of that one single punch. Before that punch, I would have said Roy was the greatest fighter I ever seen, he pretty much dominated everyone he was in the ring with his whole career up till that point(not Hopkins or Grifffin I).
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(3King3 @ Dec 15 2008, 08:00 PM) [snapback]416684[/snapback]
Man usually I'd be 100% with you about Jones but Tarver did not fight a shot Jones. Jones beat Tarver the first time cause of his heart and he was drained when he did it. The second time Jones won the first round and just got caught. The third fight he had no confidence cause Johnson took it from him. Jones was shot the third fight but not the second one.

king.. jones decline started when he started losing all that weight to get back down to light heavy... jones was a drained fighter and a rapidly declining fighter in the first fight the second fight decline or not he got caught with a punch that would have knocked him or most others out... 3rd fight he's even more declined... i'd like to be able to say tarver beat a good version of jones.. not even a prime version but a good version and i cant say that... maybe its like someone else said earlier that once jones lost the reflexes that he relied on so much he just became an average fighter... that very well could be the case but i know what he was and i cant give tarver credit for a victory over that version of jones... yes tarver beat jones twice but he beat a shadow of once was a very great dam near untouchable fighter... everything after ruiz is a shadow of what jones was once capable of... i know its hard to believe a fighter could decline so rapid but the proof is in the pudding.. it happened...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(3King3 @ Dec 15 2008, 08:05 PM) [snapback]416686[/snapback]

most def.. hopkins was the closest most even fight jones had in his prime... that was one fighter that jones did not overwhelm...
King Eugene
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Dec 15 2008, 10:29 PM) [snapback]416716[/snapback]
king.. jones decline started when he started losing all that weight to get back down to light heavy... jones was a drained fighter and a rapidly declining fighter in the first fight the second fight decline or not he got caught with a punch that would have knocked him or most others out... 3rd fight he's even more declined... i'd like to be able to say tarver beat a good version of jones.. not even a prime version but a good version and i cant say that... maybe its like someone else said earlier that once jones lost the reflexes that he relied on so much he just became an average fighter... that very well could be the case but i know what he was and i cant give tarver credit for a victory over that version of jones... yes tarver beat jones twice but he beat a shadow of once was a very great dam near untouchable fighter... everything after ruiz is a shadow of what jones was once capable of... i know its hard to believe a fighter could decline so rapid but the proof is in the pudding.. it happened...

At the end of the day he should have fought Tarver(which would have been a one sided fight) after Woods or just retired after Ruiz. Thats just my opinion. He would be looked at as a true ATG almost in similar fashion to Lennix.
Spyder
You don't get beat down by Richard friggin Hall and get any respect from me.

Calzaghe.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Spyder @ Dec 15 2008, 10:39 PM) [snapback]416726[/snapback]
You don't get beat down by Richard friggin Hall and get any respect from me.

Calzaghe.

I swear I was thinking the samething laugh.gif
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Dec 15 2008, 10:00 PM) [snapback]416684[/snapback]

You're tellin it like it is 3King3..The first fight with Tarver was really close and I wouldn't argue with anyone if they thought Tarver won it because sometimes when I've watched it I thought Tarver won..

Roy didn't duck anyone..I don't know who said he did,but he didn't..You guys get hung up on this shit too much..Enough is never enough for a lot of you guys..Just like Mayweather has to fight Margarito..
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(3King3 @ Dec 15 2008, 09:35 PM) [snapback]416721[/snapback]
At the end of the day he should have fought Tarver(which would have been a one sided fight) after Woods or just retired after Ruiz. Thats just my opinion. He would be looked at as a true ATG almost in similar fashion to Lennix.

i've always felt like after beating ruiz jones should have stayed at heavyweight and made the tyson fight that was proposed at the time... he didnt want to make that fight but that would have been probably the biggest fight in boxing history... that was still a very marketable fight at the time and i think he would have beaten tyson... he could have then fought holyfield and he would have beaten holyfield and cashed out in another mega fight with lennox lewis in which he probably would have gotten knocked out or lost a decision but the point is he had mega options at heavyweight... and that is a very real scenario that could have taken place at the time... but that is just my opinion...lol
King Eugene
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Dec 15 2008, 10:48 PM) [snapback]416734[/snapback]
i've always felt like after beating ruiz jones should have stayed at heavyweight and made the tyson fight that was proposed at the time... he didnt want to make that fight but that would have been probably the biggest fight in boxing history... that was still a very marketable fight at the time and i think he would have beaten tyson... he could have then fought holyfield and he would have beaten holyfield and cashed out in another mega fight with lennox lewis in which he probably would have gotten knocked out or lost a decision but the point is he had mega options at heavyweight... and that is a very real scenario that could have taken place at the time... but that is just my opinion...lol

Yea he had plenty of options at heavyweight. I would have loved to see him and Tyson, two of my favorites go at it. I wouldn't have put him in the ring with Lewis though. I just wish he would have retired after Ruiz. Retire on top like Mayweather and Lewis did. People will criticize you about you didn't fight this guy or that guy but thats just whats going to happen cause you cant satisfy everybody.
Nay_Sayer
How did this turn into a Roy vs Tarter thread?!?
King Eugene
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Dec 16 2008, 12:25 AM) [snapback]416750[/snapback]
How did this turn into a Roy vs Tarter thread?!?

Ah, I believe cause somebody said your not a real champ unless you leave your country then somebody else said the piece of shit Roy wouldn't leave the country then somebody said the dariuz dude struggled and lost to opponents that Roy destroyed then somebody said Roy's downfall was Roy then somebody said Roys kryptonite was Tarver so there is no telling whats coming up next.

I'm willing to bet we'll end up some way in throwing either Mayweather, Manny, or DLH in this thread. search.gif
Tha Docta
the first fight with tarver is actually one of my favorite roy jones fights. first time i actually witnessed the man showing real heart and determination.
thehype
Neither!

I can't remember anything too memorable out of any of their fights.

laugh.gif
D-MARV
QUOTE(thehype @ Dec 16 2008, 02:55 PM) [snapback]416850[/snapback]
Neither!

I can't remember anything too memorable out of any of their fights.

laugh.gif

I don't think you can question Roy's heart in that fight! He won that fight in the championship rounds fighting on pure guts and heart!
Nay_Sayer
Guess I might as well chime in here....

Roy got KTFO'd by the same guy who LOST to Eric Harding and could only manage a SD against Reggie f@cking Johnson. Tarver is a bum and if you're going to penalize Dariusz Michalczewski for struggling with Roy victums then you should apply that same logic to Roy - seeing as Roy got KTFO'd by a BUM...
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Dec 16 2008, 03:48 AM) [snapback]416734[/snapback]
cashed out in another mega fight with lennox lewis in which he probably would have gotten knocked out or lost a decision

He never ever would have lasted 12 against Lewis. If he was lucky he would have lasted 3 rounds at best.

QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Dec 16 2008, 10:25 PM) [snapback]416872[/snapback]
Guess I might as well chime in here....

Roy got KTFO'd by the same guy who LOST to Eric Harding and could only manage a SD against Reggie f@cking Johnson. Tarver is a bum and if you're going to penalize Dariusz Michalczewski for struggling with Roy victums then you should apply that same logic to Roy - seeing as Roy got KTFO'd by a BUM...

Oh you speak the truth brother!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.