Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HBO Turns Down Taylor v. Froch but Wants Taylor v. Wright
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
King Eugene
BoxingScene.com was advised that HBO is not willing to approve a super middleweight bout between WBC champion Carl Froch and mandatory Jermain Taylor. Instead, HBO is trying to make a rematch between Taylor and Winky Wright. Wright, as you may remember, was due a date on HBO last September. The network would eventually renege on Winky, and handed the date to Golden Boy Promotions for Mosley-Mayorga.

After Wright's attorney contacted HBO with a legal threat, the network promised him a date in 2009. Wright was scheduled to appear in January, then February and then March 14, which is now confirmed for Dawson-Tarver II. Some have said that Winky could face "someone" in the opener of that Dawson-Tarver, but others say the network is pushing to see him face Taylor in April.

Taylor would probably fight Wright, but considering the amount of time that Wright has been away, and winless since 2006, the negotiations for the fight are going to be hell. Wright is going to demand at least a 50-50 split, if not more, and that will not happen. HBO is also said to be open for a Taylor fight with WBA champion Mikkel Kessler. Again, HBO would have to make the money right for both sides to make Taylor take the risk, and to make Kessler travel to America.

Now everybody knows I'm a Winky Wright fan but this is ridiculous. Wright doesn't deserve Taylor at this time and the best fight to be made would be either Taylor vs. Kessler. Either way it goes Taylor has a shot at a title next. He should not fight Winky. Winky needs a tune-up followed by a convincing win over a top contender. I think he should atleast fight two times before he gets a shot at any belt.

This is probably the first time I've agreed that Wright dont deserve a fight.

HBO is killing me, they wonder why boxing is in the slums as far as mainstream.
Jack 1000
QUOTE(3King3 @ Dec 19 2008, 01:21 AM) [snapback]417459[/snapback]
Now everybody knows I'm a Winky Wright fan but this is ridiculous. Wright doesn't deserve Taylor at this time and the best fight to be made would be either Taylor vs. Kessler. Either way it goes Taylor has a shot at a title next. He should not fight Winky. Winky needs a tune-up followed by a convincing win over a top contender. I think he should at least fight two times before he gets a shot at any belt.

This is probably the first time I've agreed that Wright don't deserve a fight.

HBO is killing me, they wonder why boxing is in the slums as far as mainstream.

Sure,

They bent over and shit on command for Winky, "Stinky, Dinky," Wright because of the fear of being sued by Wright's people instead of trying to make a better action match. It's business as usual before pleasing the fans at HBO's boxing department. But what it boils down to is fear of a lawsuit in today's harsh economy. HBO doesn't want to risk a legal loss, and will be reducing their boxing budgets considerably for 2009. Perhaps in better economic times, they would have shown some balls and told Winky to "stick it." But economically, they can't afford to say no to any boxer under their contract.

This is what happens when you have long term contracts with your fighters instead of just individually buying the best fights that people want to see. HBO still can't get that through their dense skulls. I think all those years of Roy Jones fighting garbage men clogged their judgment. Shit, get Manny Pacquiao in on some good action fights and a few other guys who like to bang for the fans $12.95 a month instead of yet another crapola Winky Wright insomniac cure coma.

Jack
JD
Give me Froch over Taylor.
MarzB
"Stinky" Winky?? Are you all serious?? "Deserve",lol. Give me a break. I'm trying to wonder why Winky catches so much hell here first of all.

I can't get my head around it honestly. Because people aren't a fan of his style?? Because some of you actually think he should have taken shorter money to fight a Taylor rematch, go to Germany to fight Abraham and Sturm (smirk there)? You're not the one in the ring taking the risk but most of all, when was Winky's last terrible performance? Did Winky get KTFO in the last 5 years that I missed??

I could see if the first Taylor vs. Wright fight wasn't competitive but come on. I'm just as much of a hardcore boxing fan as most of you and I barely know who Carl Froth or whatever his name is. Haven't cared to bother looking this guy up on youtube either.

If I don't know who he is, what heck makes you think HBO's audience outside of hardcore fans would?? If I were the suits at HBO, I'd turn that match down also.

"But Marz, Winky hasn't been active in a year and a half" So, f he wants to put himself up for that risk, thats on him. He's still a very skilled, adept boxer that I highly doubt will be embarrassed unlike a certain part time boxer/promoter HBO loved to feature against whomever.

As far as the "deserved" comment goes, Jermain Taylor beat Jeff Lacy, boo hoo, big deal. If anyone doesn't DESERVE anything it would be him.

This is still a very competitive fight come fight night most of you will be in here discussing so save the pseudo "outrage" theres been many more future fights discussed that the alarm could be rang on.

JD
Oh...and give me Winky over Taylor.
D-MARV
Taylor beats up Winky in the rematch... Taylor UD
JD
Ok...I'll take Taylor too than.
D-MARV
QUOTE(JD @ Dec 19 2008, 08:57 AM) [snapback]417470[/snapback]
Ok...I'll take Taylor too than.

LOL... still trying?
JD
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Dec 19 2008, 08:59 AM) [snapback]417472[/snapback]
LOL... still trying?

Nope...just making my pick.

I'm going to be right, I just know it!
D-MARV
QUOTE(JD @ Dec 19 2008, 09:13 AM) [snapback]417477[/snapback]
Nope...just making my pick.

I'm going to be right, I just know it!

You should lay down some money on both guys.
JD
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Dec 19 2008, 09:15 AM) [snapback]417479[/snapback]
You should lay down some money on both guys.

Sure...provided you give me favorable odds for each.

I'll take Taylor and Winky at +150 each!
D-MARV
QUOTE(JD @ Dec 19 2008, 09:17 AM) [snapback]417480[/snapback]
Sure...provided you give me favorable odds for each.

I'll take Taylor and Winky at +150 each!

You're sure to win something! thumbsup_anim.gif
JD
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Dec 19 2008, 09:36 AM) [snapback]417481[/snapback]
You're sure to win something! thumbsup_anim.gif

No doubt! Plus I'll get my pick right...BONUS!
D-MARV
QUOTE(JD @ Dec 19 2008, 09:44 AM) [snapback]417483[/snapback]
No doubt! Plus I'll get my pick right...BONUS!

And you'll really be the MAN then!
JD
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Dec 19 2008, 09:50 AM) [snapback]417484[/snapback]
And you'll really be the MAN then!

Not really...I have higher standards than you. laugh.gif

Marv...as an aside...and maybe this is lost in the written word, but I am fucking around with you...I assume you understand that.
D-MARV
QUOTE(JD @ Dec 19 2008, 09:53 AM) [snapback]417485[/snapback]

Marv...as an aside...and maybe this is lost in the written word, but I am fucking around with you...I assume you understand that.

Sure you do...
JD
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Dec 19 2008, 09:56 AM) [snapback]417486[/snapback]
Sure you do...

Zing!
D-MARV
Zing!

badda bing!
D-MARV
QUOTE(JD @ Dec 19 2008, 09:53 AM) [snapback]417485[/snapback]

Come on JD... Im not totally clueless! I figured out when people are having fun. I find this very funny, especially when I was silly enough to use the Pacuiao-De La Hoya fight to back my views on Paul Williams...

I'd be clowning ME too.
Chi-Town
Typical HBO. Chasing names instead of matchups as usual. These motherfuckers are so clueless
MarzB
QUOTE(Chi-Town @ Dec 19 2008, 11:51 AM) [snapback]417494[/snapback]
Typical HBO. Chasing names instead of matchups as usual. These motherfuckers are so clueless

Ok, whast so bad about Wright and Taylor??
Maxy
I'm surprised they have rejected Froch. He's an exciting fighter as proven in his bout with Pascal. Really good fight.

Froch-Taylor would be far more entertaining than Winky-Taylor and that's a cert.
Mean Mister Mustard
I too am surprised they went with Wright, now they will have to pay him bigger money than Froch, and you know a Taylor-Froch fight would have been more entertaining. Plus this fight would be at 168 right? So does that mean Wright will be leaving the middleweight division?

Remember that just 2 years ago this guys were in the P4P top 10 and were fighting for the 160 pound title? Now Taylor has two losses and has no REAL title and Wright has one more loss, has not fought in over a year and is fatter. I think it will be a good match.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Dec 19 2008, 06:02 AM) [snapback]417460[/snapback]
Sure,

They bent over and shit on command for Winky, "Stinky, Dinky," Wright because of the fear of being sued by Wright's people instead of trying to make a better action match. It's business as usual before pleasing the fans at HBO's boxing department. But what it boils down to is fear of a lawsuit in today's harsh economy. HBO doesn't want to risk a legal loss, and will be reducing their boxing budgets considerably for 2009. Perhaps in better economic times, they would have shown some balls and told Winky to "stick it." But economically, they can't afford to say no to any boxer under their contract.

This is what happens when you have long term contracts with your fighters instead of just individually buying the best fights that people want to see. HBO still can't get that through their dense skulls. I think all those years of Roy Jones fighting garbage men clogged their judgment. Shit, get Manny Pacquiao in on some good action fights and a few other guys who like to bang for the fans $12.95 a month instead of yet another crapola Winky Wright insomniac cure coma.

Jack

HBO doesn't think. They don't listen either because they do pay people to think for them but they can't hear. Actually they choose not to.
JonnyBlaze
Taylor looks like he might be making a comeback after his last fight..If he fights like that in every one of his fights now,I see him being considered one of the best guy..He did fall off after Hopkins but ya do gotta admit,he was fighting the wrong fights for him..Spinks,Wright,and Hopkins is enough to make a fighter insane..Lacy was just what he needed..Pavlik/Taylor was so bad because Taylor hadn't fought a righty in awhile and he hadn't fought someone with as much power as Pavlik has at 160..As soon as Pavlik steps outta 160,his power goes down like we saw in the rematch..Taylor also let all his skills go out the window and decided to fight Pavlik's fight with him..
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Dec 19 2008, 04:02 PM) [snapback]417524[/snapback]
Taylor looks like he might be making a comeback after his last fight..If he fights like that in every one of his fights now,I see him being considered one of the best guy..He did fall off after Hopkins but ya do gotta admit,he was fighting the wrong fights for him..Spinks,Wright,and Hopkins is enough to make a fighter insane..Lacy was just what he needed..Pavlik/Taylor was so bad because Taylor hadn't fought a righty in awhile and he hadn't fought someone with as much power as Pavlik has at 160..As soon as Pavlik steps outta 160,his power goes down like we saw in the rematch..Taylor also let all his skills go out the window and decided to fight Pavlik's fight with him..

Lacy is right for everyone now.
BigG
Lacy was ALWAYS overrated...Calzaghe's win over Lacy WAS fucking overrated. Made people rate Calfaggy in the top 5 after beating Lacy...I wonder where Taylor is after dominating Lacy for 12 rounds and hurting him twice.
streetlion1
Theres nothing wrong with Taylor-Wright 2 but I hope Winkys age isnt showing even more now and that we get the same kinda fight the next time.

If we do its definitely worth watching. I like Wink but I think his age does show and Taylor out works him to a U.D. victory.

King Eugene
QUOTE(MarzB @ Dec 19 2008, 11:01 AM) [snapback]417495[/snapback]
Ok, whast so bad about Wright and Taylor??

I'd love to see Winky vs. Taylor but I thing Taylor should go after the belts first. Plus if they do fight it would have to be at a catchweight cause Winky should not go up to 168 even though he fought Hopkins at 170.
BigG
If Winky had a tune up and looked good, no would say anything since their first fight was an action packed fight in which BOTH guys took punishment. As long as Winky is still the same from the Hopkins mugging, this will likely be another war. Winky will walk Taylor down and Taylor will throw combo's to keep him off.
King Eugene
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 19 2008, 08:41 PM) [snapback]417544[/snapback]
If Winky had a tune up and looked good, no would say anything since their first fight was an action packed fight in which BOTH guys took punishment. As long as Winky is still the same from the Hopkins mugging, this will likely be another war. Winky will walk Taylor down and Taylor will throw combo's to keep him off.

PWill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.