Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ADVISER: MAYWEATHER OPEN TO FIGHT OFFERS
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
mexi-cutioner
GRAND RAPIDS -- Floyd Mayweather's adviser acknowledged Friday night that he has been instructed to entertain inquiries about possible fights.

Mayweather has not fought in more than a year and recently called a family member to discuss various comeback possibilities, including a fight with Manny Pacquiao, but had not shown interest publicly before....

HERE IS THE FULL LINK: http://www.mlive.com/mayweather/index.ssf/...pen_to_fig.html

WOW, this kind of throws everything off course for me...I kind of got to the point where I was expecting a Hatton vs Pacquiao showdown, but now that Mayweather is open to possible fights, this changes everything. With Mayweather in the mix, I still would prefer Mayweather vs Pac or Pac vs Hatton, I dont know about you guys, but I DO NOT want to see Mayweather vs Hatton rematch...if the rematch did happen Pac would probably hv to settle with a bout vs Judah (ew...) and being a big Pac fan that would dissapoint me and it would be extremely hard to get excited for that bout.......
mexi-cutioner
Leonard Ellerbe is a bi%$h who can suck my dick after saying in another article that Mayweather was NOT interested in fighting, bastard is full of LIES
torvix2000
Pacquiao is fighting Hatton. Unless Mayweather decided to forego with his "Money" monicker for a moment.
mexi-cutioner
Floyd "bargain" Mayweather
Jack 1000
I really hope that Mayweather stays retired. Boxing fans would just get more PPV rip-offs with him coming back with one "Dancing With The Stars" UD after another. In his career, only Castillo I and Hatton were exciting fights. IF Floyd fights he's just looking for more money. He never has given two shits about pleasing the crowds.

Jack
salvador
I think everyone's missing the point, which is that it doesn't matter what Floyd wants because Floyd's being squeezed out.

There are only 3 meaningful fights for Floyd: Margarito, Williams, and Pacquiao.

Pacquiao is going to fight Hatton, probably Judah, and probably Diaz and maybe even Cotto before fighting Floyd because Arum knows that Pacquiao there's probably more money taking more easy fights. Further, Arum, by stretching out Pacquiao's reign, increases his leverage at HBO for a longer period of time - like DLH has done, which will allow Arum to get more exposure for his stable of fighters.

Now that DLH is gone, Floyd's either going to have to come way down on his price, fight one of the big wws, or sit on the sidelines. Hopefully he stays out.
D-MARV
I hope Hatton-Manny fights in May... Floyd can wait and fight the winner!
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Dec 20 2008, 12:52 PM) [snapback]417613[/snapback]
I really hope that Mayweather stays retired. Boxing fans would just get more PPV rip-offs with him coming back with one "Dancing With The Stars" UD after another. In his career, only Castillo I and Hatton were exciting fights. IF Floyd fights he's just looking for more money. He never has given two shits about pleasing the crowds.

Jack

I'm pretty sure his fights with Gatti & Corrales were exciting. Beatdowns, but certainly exciting.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Dec 20 2008, 08:01 PM) [snapback]417752[/snapback]
I'm pretty sure his fights with Gatti & Corrales were exciting. Beatdowns, but certainly exciting.

Yeah, and his fights with Corrales, Burton, Manfredy, N'dou, and some others were too(just off the top of my head).
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Dec 20 2008, 08:04 PM) [snapback]417753[/snapback]
Yeah, and his fights with Corrales, Burton, Manfredy, N'dou, and some others were too(just off the top of my head).

never had an exciting fight. ever
torvix2000
The most exciting is his fight against Baldomir.
streetlion1
What he means is Mayweather is open to offers to fight whoever will give him the most money and least risk like always.

Gayweather should just stay retired.
slap
Floyd is a fucking beast so everybody who's hating on money may can go 2 hell cuz you don't appreciate true talent when u see it
slap
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Dec 20 2008, 12:52 PM) [snapback]417613[/snapback]

Jack

I can see that your not a true boxing fan floyd is 1 of if not the best 2 ever do it and if I were a boxer I would box just like him 4 me and not the crowd cause boxing 4 the crowd gets your ass whooped just ask cotto
D-MARV
Floyd is great.
Douchebag
QUOTE(slap @ Dec 21 2008, 07:19 AM) [snapback]417807[/snapback]
Floyd is a fucking beast so everybody who's hating on money may can go 2 hell cuz you don't appreciate true talent when u see it

It's what he is doing with his talent that gets him the hate. If he wasn't such a faggot with how he carries himself and his business he would not get all the hate that he gets.
Mean Mister Mustard
The title of this thread reads ADVISER: MAYWEATHER OPEN TO FIGHT OFFERS. In a couple of years it will read

ADVISER: MAYWEATHER OPEN TO FIGHT OFFERS. ANY FIGHT OFFERS. COME ON JUST MAKE US AN OFFER, WE NEED THE MONEY, WE REALLY DO. I WANT MY CRACK, I HAVEN'T HAD A TASTE IN A LONG WHILE AND I AM HURTING REAL BAD MAN. FLOYD SPENT ALL HIS MONEY ON DIAMONDS BUT THEY KEPT GETTING STOLEN BUT HE WAS TOO STRUNG OUT ON CRACK TO NOTICE IT. IT WAS LIKE A BUGS BUNNY CARTOON, HE KEPT BUYING AND THE ROBBERS KEPT BREAKING IN LOADING THE STUFF IN THEIR CAR, IT LOOKED LIKE A FACTORY LINE MAN. IT WAS RIDICULOUS. HOW DO I KNOW? I WAS ONE OF THOSE ROBBERS MAN, WHAT DIDN'T I TELL YOU I HAVE A CRACK PROBLEM MAN. COME ON JUST MAKE US AN OFFER!
Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Dec 20 2008, 08:04 PM) [snapback]417753[/snapback]

the only thing exciting about most mayweather fights is waiting to see if someone can catch him and when it doesn't happen it turns out to be pretty boring.
mexi-cutioner
QUOTE(slap @ Dec 21 2008, 04:19 AM) [snapback]417807[/snapback]

One of the most skilled and smarter fighters of this decade?? Yes, but i'll learn to appreciate his true talents once he stops making up excuses, i mean CMON he retired from the game saying he had no more motivation, nothing left to prove and no competition out there. OK MAYBE ILL BELIEVE THE LACK OF MOTIVATION, BUT THERE IS DEFINITELY STILL SOMETHING LEFT TO PROVE AND COMPETITION OUT THERE!!!!!!! A true "beast" as you say would not duck Margarito, Williams, Cotto and basically the top fighters in his division and man up and take the challenge that we would all want to see/would be the hardest fights for him and he knows it!!!!

Here's a good clip of Floyd doing what he does best...DUCKING!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOSYzIKJFro

Floyd making excuses for why he ducked Margarito.....
torvix2000
Mayweather is "pussier" than Lennox Lewis. C'mon, Lennox retired because there was no one left to fight who will offer any competition. True, maybe Vitali could beat him. But Lennox has beaten him. And there was no other who could beat him. While Gayweather retired because he's claiming there is no longer anyone in the division worth a fight. BS!!!
streetlion1
QUOTE(slap @ Dec 21 2008, 06:19 AM) [snapback]417807[/snapback]

I recognize the talent but no nuts no glory. 147lbs. showed he's a bitch....who talked retirement when asked about good real Welters and took fights with easier competition.
The CEO
I like Pacquiao...he's earned his way into my current Top 5 favorites, in fact.....but I've got news for all you Pacmaniacs out there....

You better PRAY to GOD he don't EVER fight Money Mayweather......Lil' Floyd would set Manny back 5 years....make your boy look one dimensional all over again....
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(torvix2000 @ Dec 21 2008, 08:08 PM) [snapback]417833[/snapback]
Mayweather is "pussier" than Lennox Lewis. C'mon, Lennox retired because there was no one left to fight who will offer any competition. True, maybe Vitali could beat him. But Lennox has beaten him. And there was no other who could beat him. While Gayweather retired because he's claiming there is no longer anyone in the division worth a fight. BS!!!

Uhhhhhhhh,Lennox retired because he was done boxing..He knew his limit and was really smart about it..No one left??He could of fought Vitali again and given another classic fight to boxing but he knew better..He beat Vitali because of a lucky cut..No way is Lennox a pussy!!!These guys get in the ring and risk their life so how is Mayweather or Lennox a pussy??
torvix2000
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Dec 22 2008, 03:48 AM) [snapback]417853[/snapback]
Uhhhhhhhh,Lennox retired because he was done boxing..He knew his limit and was really smart about it..No one left??He could of fought Vitali again and given another classic fight to boxing but he knew better..He beat Vitali because of a lucky cut..No way is Lennox a pussy!!!These guys get in the ring and risk their life so how is Mayweather or Lennox a pussy??

"Pussier". It's quoted.
torvix2000
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Dec 22 2008, 02:04 AM) [snapback]417846[/snapback]
You better PRAY to GOD he don't EVER fight Money Mayweather......Lil' Floyd would set Manny back 5 years....make your boy look one dimensional all over again....

It's the opposite. We're praying Mayweather fight Pacquiao. After all, Pacquiao has nothing to lose. He's the smaller man fighting the bigger guy who's afraid to fight the really bigger guys in his division and at the same time saying there's no one left to fight.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(torvix2000 @ Dec 22 2008, 12:45 AM) [snapback]417857[/snapback]
It's the opposite. We're praying Mayweather fight Pacquiao. After all, Pacquiao has nothing to lose. He's the smaller man fighting the bigger guy who's afraid to fight the really bigger guys in his division and at the same time saying there's no one left to fight.

How would Floyd be the bigger guy??I think they'd look almost exactly the same size all around at 47..
mexi-cutioner
I hope Pac fights Mayweather, and I hope Mayweather gets his a$$ beat like what Pac did to DLH cause thats what Mayweather needs, a little deflation of that big fat ego of his couldn't hurt anyone could it?
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Dec 21 2008, 09:48 PM) [snapback]417853[/snapback]
Uhhhhhhhh,Lennox retired because he was done boxing..He knew his limit and was really smart about it..No one left??He could of fought Vitali again and given another classic fight to boxing but he knew better..He beat Vitali because of a lucky cut..No way is Lennox a pussy!!!

These guys get in the ring and risk their life so how is Mayweather or Lennox a pussy??

i'm with you blaze... these fighters get out there and take beatings an lumps and risk permanant head injury for our entertainment.. like it or not what they decide to do in their respective career there is far too much name calling... no man that steps through those ropes is a pussy... thats from the champ down to the biggest club house pug... these same guys calling the respective fighters pussy etc i guarentee wouldnt talk like that if they where in the same room with those fighters... they would be very respectful and would treat those "pussies" like their biggest fans probably...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Dec 22 2008, 01:31 AM) [snapback]417861[/snapback]
How would Floyd be the bigger guy??I think they'd look almost exactly the same size all around at 47..

i've been thinking about this fight a lot lately and i agree their size diffrence is really not gonna matter... because their is no size diffrence... actually pac might be the bigger fighter from the hips down... his legs are massive... of o had to pick tho i think mayweathers skill overcomes what manny brings to the table but i will hedge on that by saying i'm liking what i'm seeing from manny... not the win itself but what he did to get the win.. he showed a lot of speed to match the power... a fight with mayweather or hatton will show just how much of that was oscar aging and how much of that was actually manny... IF manny beats hatton which i dont think he will but if he does that is def. the fight to make... pac. vs. mayweather... if mayweather dont wanna fight marg. he could at least fight a clottey or a berto to get a fight in and pick up a belt while waiting for pac and hatton to solve their buisness... and most wont agree but i think a clottey fight would be the easier between clottey and berto... i also wanna add if mayweather waits for pac and hatton to fight being inactive no matter who wins the fight get closer and closer... by the time a fight can reasonably be made if pbf hasnt had a get the rust off fight it will have been at least a year and a half if not 2 yers since his last fight... all of a sudden a fight that he would have won easily becomes very interesting... i dont care how good of a fighter you are i wouldnt want to fight hatton or pac with that much time off and no tune-up... thats just dangerous.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Dec 22 2008, 06:35 PM) [snapback]417911[/snapback]
i'm with you blaze... these fighters get out there and take beatings an lumps and risk permanant head injury for our entertainment.. like it or not what they decide to do in their respective career there is far too much name calling... no man that steps through those ropes is a pussy... thats from the champ down to the biggest club house pug... these same guys calling the respective fighters pussy etc i guarentee wouldnt talk like that if they where in the same room with those fighters... they would be very respectful and would treat those "pussies" like their biggest fans probably...

I'm sure these guys don't care about getting called pussies, in reality who has the last laugh? the point of boxing is to make money, and i think its pretty smart to to make the most amount of money possible in the easiest fashion. Work smarter, not harder. sure we want to see exciting fights and shit, but i would be doing the same shit as guys like dlh if i were a fighter. if people are dumb enough to keep paying mayweather for unentertaining fights, then they deserve to pay the retard tax. Like the old saying goes, 'it's immoral to let a sucker keep his money.'

quit bitching about a retired fighter. and if you hate him that much, don't buy his ppv when he comes out of retirement.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Dec 22 2008, 06:35 PM) [snapback]417911[/snapback]
i guarentee wouldnt talk like that if they where in the same room with those fighters... they would be very respectful and would treat those "pussies" like their biggest fans probably...

Me and my one friend went to A.C years ago to see a fight(forget which one, been to alot). After the fight we ran into Vinny Pazienza, and my friend went right up to him and shook his hand and gave him props and stuff. Anyway, after we walked away from him, my friend says to me I fucking hate Pazienza! I was like WTF did you shake his hand for? He was like, dntknw.gif.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Dec 22 2008, 07:06 PM) [snapback]417919[/snapback]
Me and my one friend went to A.C years ago to see a fight(forget which one, been to alot). After the fight we ran into Vinny Pazienza, and my friend went right up to him and shook his hand and gave him props and stuff. Anyway, after we walked away from him, my friend says to me I fucking hate Pazienza! I was like WTF did you shake his hand for? He was like, dntknw.gif.

thats my point... there is too much hating going on with these fighters... its one thing to not like a fighter cuzz maybe he's a rival with a fighter you root for or he's cocky etc (you'll find most of the bravado and talkin is for show)... but how do you muster a true dislike for these guys without knowing them?.... i've met a few fighters some of them i didnt like as fighters but they've all been very aproachable and down to earth as celebs. as far as signing autographs and talking about whats going on with their careers and etc... the nicest most talkative for me was lou savarese... he's a big country boy hick..lol... nice as hell and wouldnt stop talking... i've heard a few stories but my experience has been cool... one fighter i've heard is an asshole is joel casamayor....
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Dec 22 2008, 06:21 PM) [snapback]417913[/snapback]
I'm sure these guys don't care about getting called pussies, in reality who has the last laugh? the point of boxing is to make money, and i think its pretty smart to to make the most amount of money possible in the easiest fashion. Work smarter, not harder. sure we want to see exciting fights and shit, but i would be doing the same shit as guys like dlh if i were a fighter. if people are dumb enough to keep paying mayweather for unentertaining fights, then they deserve to pay the retard tax. Like the old saying goes, 'it's immoral to let a sucker keep his money.'

quit bitching about a retired fighter. and if you hate him that much, don't buy his ppv when he comes out of retirement.

you're right trombone... my point is that its one thing to hate the fighters but none of those guys are pussies etc... bitches etc... i personally have respect for any fighter man or woman that puts on the gloves for my entertainment... but i guess it can be viewed in many diffrent ways....
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Dec 22 2008, 11:48 PM) [snapback]417935[/snapback]
thats my point... there is too much hating going on with these fighters... its one thing to not like a fighter cuzz maybe he's a rival with a fighter you root for or he's cocky etc (you'll find most of the bravado and talkin is for show)... but how do you muster a true dislike for these guys without knowing them?.... i've met a few fighters some of them i didnt like as fighters but they've all been very aproachable and down to earth as celebs. as far as signing autographs and talking about whats going on with their careers and etc... the nicest most talkative for me was lou savarese... he's a big country boy hick..lol... nice as hell and wouldnt stop talking... i've heard a few stories but my experience has been cool... one fighter i've heard is an asshole is joel casamayor....

I have met quite a few fighters myself, and most everyone was approachable. I can tell Casa is a prick, just seeing too many of his fights and interviews over many years. I would have to say Joel is easily my most hated fighter(even more than Calzaghe with his stupid comments). You could not pay me to shake his hand, and I can not thank Marquez enough seeing him KO that ass.
King Eugene
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Dec 22 2008, 07:21 PM) [snapback]417913[/snapback]

Couldn't have said it better myself!
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Dec 23 2008, 04:48 AM) [snapback]417935[/snapback]
thats my point... there is too much hating going on with these fighters... its one thing to not like a fighter cuzz maybe he's a rival with a fighter you root for or he's cocky etc (you'll find most of the bravado and talkin is for show)... but how do you muster a true dislike for these guys without knowing them?....

With astounding ease actually. How about fighters that continually & habitually defraud the public with their sham PPV farces for meaningless belts earned in a courtroom or by making payoffs to the governing organizations. How about "network" fighters who get passes on fighting lesser fighters with monotonous regularity & get cheer leaded by their corporate sponsored "expert" commentators.

It makes me fucking sick & I fucking hate loudmouthed cumbuckets like Mayweather. So you will beat every man & his dog? How about doing it you fucking overrated cuntfaced muthafucker instead of running your fucking cocksucker like a gay porn lead. Fuck you Mayweather I hope you lose every cent you earned & come back to be the next generations punching bag you fucking whiny overpaid shitheel!

Same goes for you Calzaghe you sheep fucking son of a bitch. You & your fucking old man. I am not suprised his name is Enzo because that twat runs from making legit fights for his son as fast as the Ferrari that bears that pricks name.

There are a few more but these two top the list right now. Undefeated money hungry whores who sell their arses to the highest bidders & don't give a fuck about their legacies. Guys like Robinson must be turning in their graves but strangely enough that is why we all still talk about fighters from 50+ years ago. They built thier legacies on accomplishments & displays of courage these two cumdrinkers could only fantasise about.
AussieLad
To some fighters its a business. To the fans and real fighters its a sport So the question must be asked, who are these dumb fucks who would prefer to watch a soulless money bleeding sideshow than a real sport. I will never pay money for floyds shit. If someone wants to line mayweathers pockets and suck his dick on these boards at the same time so be it, but i hope they at least know that they are a pathetic cock gobbler
Mean Mister Mustard
I remember some guy defending Mayweather because he had met him once and he was "cool" with him. How about living with the guy see if you like him so much?
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Dec 23 2008, 05:38 AM) [snapback]417941[/snapback]
With astounding ease actually. How about fighters that continually & habitually defraud the public with their sham PPV farces for meaningless belts earned in a courtroom or by making payoffs to the governing organizations. How about "network" fighters who get passes on fighting lesser fighters with monotonous regularity & get cheer leaded by their corporate sponsored "expert" commentators.

It makes me fucking sick & I fucking hate loudmouthed cumbuckets like Mayweather. So you will beat every man & his dog? How about doing it you fucking overrated cuntfaced muthafucker instead of running your fucking cocksucker like a gay porn lead. Fuck you Mayweather I hope you lose every cent you earned & come back to be the next generations punching bag you fucking whiny overpaid shitheel!

Same goes for you Calzaghe you sheep fucking son of a bitch. You & your fucking old man. I am not suprised his name is Enzo because that twat runs from making legit fights for his son as fast as the Ferrari that bears that pricks name.

There are a few more but these two top the list right now. Undefeated money hungry whores who sell their arses to the highest bidders & don't give a fuck about their legacies. Guys like Robinson must be turning in their graves but strangely enough that is why we all still talk about fighters from 50+ years ago. They built thier legacies on accomplishments & displays of courage these two cumdrinkers could only fantasise about.

Legacy don't buy houses. Legacy don't feed your kids. Legacy doesn't mean shit, these guys are fighters, they're not curing cancer. Such high standards for entertainers...

it's easy, just boycott their fights. whining about it just makes people more interested.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(AussieLad @ Dec 23 2008, 06:06 AM) [snapback]417942[/snapback]
To some fighters its a business. To the fans and real fighters its a sport So the question must be asked, who are these dumb fucks who would prefer to watch a soulless money bleeding sideshow than a real sport. I will never pay money for floyds shit. If someone wants to line mayweathers pockets and suck his dick on these boards at the same time so be it, but i hope they at least know that they are a pathetic cock gobbler

no, it's a business to all fighters. none of them would be fighting unless they were getting paid. it's that simple. some of them are dumb, and don't care about how much money they make, good for us.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Dec 23 2008, 08:35 PM) [snapback]418016[/snapback]
no, it's a business to all fighters. none of them would be fighting unless they were getting paid. it's that simple. some of them are dumb, and don't care about how much money they make, good for us.

Y'know, I kinda agree with you in regard to that. If SRR and Louis fought for money, they wouldnt have died going broke... In an ideal world, fighting for legacy should net you the largest payday. Unfortunately in the age of DLH, we get the converse...
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Dec 23 2008, 08:08 PM) [snapback]418014[/snapback]
Legacy don't buy houses. Legacy don't feed your kids. Legacy doesn't mean shit, these guys are fighters, they're not curing cancer. Such high standards for entertainers...

it's easy, just boycott their fights. whining about it just makes people more interested.

So Mayweather would not have made millions fighting Margarito, Cotto and Williams? This is what irks me about some fighters, when their excuse for not fighting a worthy challenger who is not all that well known is "He doesn't bring enough $$ to the table" then he goes on to fight some bum and gets paid 5 mil. Fact of the matter is if you're an HBO fighter like Mayweather was they'd pay you big $ to fight almost anyone.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Dec 24 2008, 09:25 AM) [snapback]418055[/snapback]
So Mayweather would not have made millions fighting Margarito, Cotto and Williams? This is what irks me about some fighters, when their excuse for not fighting a worthy challenger who is not all that well known is "He doesn't bring enough $$ to the table" then he goes on to fight some bum and gets paid 5 mil. Fact of the matter is if you're an HBO fighter like Mayweather was they'd pay you big $ to fight almost anyone.

he's just negotiating. stop taking what he says at face value. here's a bit of an industry secret, people lie to get paid more.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Dec 24 2008, 03:04 AM) [snapback]418044[/snapback]
Y'know, I kinda agree with you in regard to that. If SRR and Louis fought for money, they wouldnt have died going broke... In an ideal world, fighting for legacy should net you the largest payday. Unfortunately in the age of DLH, we get the converse...

well louis wouldn't have been broke if the government didn't screw him.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Dec 24 2008, 01:33 PM) [snapback]418070[/snapback]
he's just negotiating. stop taking what he says at face value. here's a bit of an industry secret, people lie to get paid more.

Nothing wrong with wanting more money but it does bother me when fighters (not refering to Mayweather here) say they don't want to face A fighter because he doesn't bring $ to the table and then they go on and fight some fighter who is less skilled and talented than fighter A.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Dec 24 2008, 02:57 PM) [snapback]418072[/snapback]
Nothing wrong with wanting more money but it does bother me when fighters (not refering to Mayweather here) say they don't want to face A fighter because he doesn't bring $ to the table and then they go on and fight some fighter who is less skilled and talented than fighter A.

every compnay in the world does risk analysis. why shouldn't a pro fighter, who's company is his career, do the same? no one gives a fuck about these guys when they're retired, no one feeds them when they are fucked up like meldrick taylor. they should handle their shit like that, and i know i would do the same. no one is gonna help my brain damaged, drooling, mashed carrots eating ass after my career is done.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Dec 24 2008, 04:19 PM) [snapback]418080[/snapback]
every compnay in the world does risk analysis. why shouldn't a pro fighter, who's company is his career, do the same? no one gives a fuck about these guys when they're retired, no one feeds them when they are fucked up like meldrick taylor. they should handle their shit like that, and i know i would do the same. no one is gonna help my brain damaged, drooling, mashed carrots eating ass after my career is done.

Couldn't agree with you more. However there are fighters who know how to divide business and legacy, others just care about the cash. It is the latter that usually don't have that many fans or whose career standing is well below their talents.
AussieLad
Never seen a forum poster so concerned with a fighters bank balance before as rusty. Fair enough, they can have as much money as they can get... but dont bother calling them the greatest p4p or ranking them all time if they avoid the best fights in order to pursue $$$. Mayweather seems to be ranked so highly based upon talent and the perception of how well he will do against the most dangerous fighters in each divsion, simply because we will never really know how he would fair against the absolute best because he hasnt faced a peak fighter in several years.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(AussieLad @ Dec 24 2008, 06:08 PM) [snapback]418087[/snapback]
Never seen a forum poster so concerned with a fighters bank balance before as rusty. Fair enough, they can have as much money as they can get... but dont bother calling them the greatest p4p or ranking them all time if they avoid the best fights in order to pursue $$$. Mayweather seems to be ranked so highly based upon talent and the perception of how well he will do against the most dangerous fighters in each divsion, simply because we will never really know how he would fair against the absolute best because he hasnt faced a peak fighter in several years.

i'm not concerned about his bank balance, i'm concerned with the amount of whiny bitches concerned with how PBF ranks himself. and also people whining about fighters "fighting for money & not legacy". quit bitching, it's entertainment. There's only a few fighters legacies that are worth a damn, and it's because of what they accomplished outside the ring and not in. I guess what I'm basically saying is nostalgia is bs.

I'll look back and say, that Toney, he was a good fighter he sure gave me something to do a few Saturday nights. I'll also look back and say, that Ali, he was a great fighter and a great man boy did he help change the landscape of america.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(AussieLad @ Dec 24 2008, 06:08 PM) [snapback]418087[/snapback]

Agree with you Aussie, I also agree with Rusty though about fighters wanting to make money. That being said I agree with you that fighters can improve their legacy while at the same time making money. Just imagine how many fighters with talent and skills never made it because they didin't get a chance or a good promoter to take them to the top and then look at guys like Roy Jones who had all the talent in the world and didn't make the most of it. Then he regrets it when he gets old and tries to show he is a great fighter but fails horribly.

I was reading about Genaro Hernandez who has cancer and apparently he lost a lot of money on bad investments. There is a special fund for him but even if he hadn't been afflicted with cancer he still lost a lot of money, money he earned getting punched in the head not making it in an office. So there's the other side. This discussion could take us a long way, all I'm going to say is what I already wrote before and what Aussie wrote, you never know about your financial future, and in boxing, where you have the chance to make as much money as you can it is understanable for fighters to want to do that. On the other hand, this is a buisness and if fans don't want to pay for crappy fights then the fighter might suffer from it although that's not how it has been for years with fighters like PBF who get millions because of HBO contracts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.