Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Laughable article about Holyfield/Valuev fight
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Byrd Man
The absolute WORST report of this fight that I found is listed below. There apparantly are very lax journalistic standards in London

Is this prick on Sauerland's payroll?

Holyfield No Match For Giant

Gareth Davies
December 22, 2008

IN A laboured 12-round championship bout that was more a trundle than a rumble, Evander Holyfield failed in his bid to become the oldest heavyweight champion of the world at the age of 46.

Russian Nikolai Valuev defeated the veteran on a majority points decision in Zurich on Saturday, to retain his World Boxing Association title. Two of the judges scored the contest in favour of the 146-kilogram, 2.13-metre giant, 116-112, 115-114, while judge Guillermo Perez had it 114-114. That was being generous to the American.

This fight, between a cumbersome giant world champion and an ageing former four-time world champion whose best days are well behind him, made for tedious fare, although the contest was not the mismatch many had predicted.

It was a stalemate, at times, of epic proportions, Holyfield showing glimpses - just glimpses - of the great fighting spirit and his ability to counterpunch out of adversity that he once possessed, yet it was Valuev who simply used his size, reach and strength advantages to control the fight with his jab, and keep a bouncing Holyfield at bay.

The once-great fighter was incapable of felling a Goliath of a man who is the tallest, heaviest world champion of all time. As the fight wore on, so Valuev's reach, height, power - and perhaps most importantly, age advantage of 11 years - began to tell as he dominated the fight, finding Holyfield more often with his jab in the late rounds. Valuev became more ambitious with his right hand and combinations as Holyfield slowed, though he did take at least a dozen left hooks from the American throughout the fight.

Holyfield, gracious in defeat, said: "I saw it the other way than the judges but I'm not disappointed with my performance. He's a tough opponent and you see it when you are looking at a seven-foot fighter. The sheer size of him is the main factor. He fights well with it too and that was the problem."

There were chants of Ho-ly-field all night. He was a huge underdog, yet the crowd favourite. And how the Swiss wished for an upset. Holyfield started his dance and won the opening round with a left-right combination and a left hook, while Valuev reverted to type behind the jab. In the second, Holyfield managed to find his way in close a couple of times landing with clubbing left hooks to take the round. From round five onwards, however, Valuev dominated more as Holyfield slowed and worked less.

Yet it was hardly thrilling stuff. Holyfield looked for big, eye-catching shots all night, Valuev was clinical and one-dimensional. Such is the world heavyweight division at present. Valuev stepped up the pace from the eighth onwards, getting the better of the exchanges.

Holyfield, 46 years and two months old, was sure he could eclipse George Foreman, who won the same WBA title at the age of 45, when he knocked out Michael Moorer in 1994. It was not destined to be.

Yet Holyfield's name gave this fight enough of a draw for the venue to be sold out to capacity with 12,500 spectators in the Hallenstadion, normally the home of professional ice hockey outfit Zurich Lions. In a red robe, punching his gloves together Holyfield walked alone to the ring, rapturous applause greeting the ring warrior's every move. Holyfield stood in the ring, soaking it all up, clearly emotional. These are the nights he simply cannot force himself to give up. Yet maybe it is time for him to do exactly that. Afterwards, Holyfield ruled out retirement and said he wants another shot at being world champion for the fifth time.

"I don't doubt myself, people doubt me, but I have a history of proving people wrong," he said.

"I always make good bets, I know who I am.

"Unfortunately, I was injured before my previous fight and I actually thought I could win even though my shoulder was bust up.

"I didn't complain, I just went out and fought.

"I am healed now and, at the age of 46, I can still do it."

Telegraph, London and AFP
Michigan Assassin
Brian Doogan's article on ESPN.com has very similar stance. Holyfield has his moments but Valuev controlled most rounds with this jab yada yada yada.

I know Holyfield didn't do much in that snorefest either but Valuev didn't do shit. Terribe fight, terrible decision.
Michigan Assassin
Here is another article for Valuev winning.

Yahoo article

But whats funny is in this next article it completely contridicts the scorring that the first article mentions for Yahoo's official score.

Yahoo scoring breakdown

Keepinmind these are both Yahoo article with the exact opposite scoring listed.
Jack 1000
QUOTE(Michigan Assassin @ Dec 21 2008, 02:20 PM) [snapback]417824[/snapback]
Here is another article for Valuev winning.

Yahoo article

But whats funny is in this next article it completely contridicts the scorring that the first article mentions for Yahoo's official score.

Yahoo scoring breakdown

Keepinmind these are both Yahoo article with the exact opposite scoring listed.

I saw that. I believe the 116-112 Holyfield score, submitted by the original story to Yahoo, yesterday. I have no idea where the 116-112 Valuev bullshit came from. It would appear that anyone who gave that fight to Valuev has no business judging boxing matches. My only explanation is that Yahoo is an international web site, so maybe they had multiple writers covering the match. This is strange.

Jack
JonnyBlaze
Anyone find any punch stats on the fight??
D-MARV
I feel bad for Holyfield... They robbed that man "HISTORY", whether it was lackluster or not.
Mean Mister Mustard

What were these writers watching? Just goes to show that no matter how much boxing history you know, it won't help you to become a boxing analyst.

Like Michigan Assasin said, if Holyfield didn't do much then Valuev did much less.
Michigan Assassin
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Dec 21 2008, 04:47 PM) [snapback]417827[/snapback]
Anyone find any punch stats on the fight??

I believe the final punchstats were:
Holyfield 17 of 42 for 40%
Valuev 6 for 22 for 27%
Byrd Man
QUOTE(Michigan Assassin @ Dec 21 2008, 08:26 PM) [snapback]417839[/snapback]
I believe the final punchstats were:
Holyfield 17 of 42 for 40%
Valuev 6 for 22 for 27%

Are you effing serious????
Michigan Assassin
QUOTE(Byrd Man @ Dec 21 2008, 09:11 PM) [snapback]417848[/snapback]
Are you effing serious????

haha no but might as well be with as few punches as they threw yesterday.
JonnyBlaze
Holy did a lot more than that..haha..The Valuev stat. may be true..
JLUVBABY
those writers must have been sharing lines while watching the fight.. that is unbelievable...
Byrd Man
Brian Doogan on ESPN has the same opinion, that Valuev won. smh
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.