Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thoughts on Boxing??
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
JonnyBlaze
I was wondering what you guys have thought this last month has done for boxing??I thought the Fres/Toney fight was the worst decision of the year and now BY FAR the Holyfield/Valuev fight replaces it..This month has made boxing take a step back in my eyes..I still love it and am gonna keep doing it of course but this shit is fucked up..I said Fres would win the fight and I said Holy would win the fight and was pullin for both of em..Fres is my guy and I don't like any fight as much as Holy besides Sugar Ray Robinson and Archie Moore..I plan on calling Fres in the next few days to see how hes doin..

What are you guys thinking??This shit is bogus..Being at the fight makes ya see it different but the judges are right outside the ring ropes and this two fights were so clear as to who won..

Ya don't need to say boxing is corrupt or this has always been going on cause I know that too but this year could be called the year of the robberies for how many have happened..This is so bad for boxing though since this is going to make guys think they need to KO to win since the judges have proven to be unreliable..They might need to require contacts or glasses whether ya need em or not cause who the fuck knows how some of these guys get their scores..
D-MARV
I actually thought this month was a pretty good month.

The bad decisions sucked... but I decided that I will never expect anything good to come out of the heavyweight decision so I just laughed it off and kept it moving.

Adamek-Cunningham was a GREAT fight and that was on basic cable. That's something the sport needed as well as the cruiserweight division. That fight turned my father into a bigger boxing fan.

Then you have Manny PAc-De La Hoya. Manny left no doubt as too who the best fighter in the world is. He also may have done enough to lure Floyd Mayweather back into the sport (lol). But if anything that led us to another MEGA Fight in Hatton-Pacquiao that is sure to be a great one.

Overall, I thought the month was a pretty good one but as you mentioned the bad decisions did hold it back a little.
mexi-cutioner
This might be pushing it, but i think compared to the MMA and most other sports, boxing has the most glory. Where in the world would u find an entire country stop to watch a fighter fight (ie: Manny Pacquiao), twenty thousand fans flying over seas to watch their favourite fighter to fight for one night, and an entire country celebrating when their beloved fighitng son wins a fight (ie: mexico, puerto rico, phillipines). You don't see that in MMA, do u? I think boxing is just fine, but boxing isn't as big in the US as it used to be, thats why alot of people here think it is on the downhill. Ask people in Europe, Mexico, south america and south east asia how boxing is doing and I think they woudl beg to differ
Snowsy
Boxing, as an American sport, is done. Dead. Finished.

Being a boxing fan is akin to being a cricket fan. Or maybe that game where people run on the ice with brooms, trying to clear a path for a rock.

Nobody likes to hear that any less than I do. But boxing has been shoved to the farthest part of the margins of society. It is the most poorly scored sport, has the worst ethical reputation, the amateur system has almost completely stagnated, and (to be completely frank) the sport is so rife with selfish imbiciles that there isn't anywhere to grow. American boxing is the worst. I'm an American, so that pains me, but there is absolutely nothing going on in this country that excites anyone who doesn't know about this site. We're a quickly shrinking minority. The mere fact that we're happy that Versus is covering fights is a bad sign.

Point blank, here is boxing's roadmap. Read it an weep:
If boxing can't get any significant exposure in the next two or three years then you might as well forget it, at least here in the US. Versus will give up on it the way ESPN has - and with the "stars" all retiring... guess what? There will be no new "stars" to fight on Showtime - who is already looking for a reason to reduce its boxing schedule... and then HBO (who holds most of the cards) simply won't want them anymore and will fold. They're too smart to carry dead weight. Oscar is done, Hopkins and Jones are done, Mayweather is done, Wladimir and Manny Pac have a small handful of years left, but nobody interesting to fight...

...the economics won't hold up. Boxing has been on life support for years. Guys like Oscar, Tito, and Roy have been carrying it and now they're gone. Think that Cotto, Dawson, and Berto are the future? Great. But the potential NEW fans have been shut out of watching them because of greed. ESPN is a boxing wasteland now, so there is no "almost famous" fights or fighters favailable for free.

If ESPN (or others) isn't showing guys that are "almost ready" to a wide audience then those guys are invisible.

If they are invisible there is no way to introduce them to NEW fans

If there are no NEW fans then it's just us...

If it's just us then the PPV numbers tumble (no more Oscar, Roy, Barrera etc. to grab the holdover casual fans)

If PPV tumbles then the pay networks, HBO and SHO look to dump.

Goodbye boxing.

And the kiss of death?
Don King, Gary Shaw, Bob Arum, and the rest of the geriatric promoters aren't going to help by trying to increase exposure. Why? because they are in it for the short term. They aren't worried about boxing in ten years. They are stockpiling their money now, while it's good, and then they're going to ride off into the sunset in very short order. They've got absolutely no vested interest in keeping the sport healthy. And the elite fighters have fed right into it. It's a sport of greedy, selfish fools and it deserves to be right where it is. On it's death bed with no visitors.

The fix is exposure. Free and plentiful. Want to see the best poker players on earth? Turn on your TV anytime and Helmuth, Moneymaker, and all of those other top dogs are doing their thing. All the time. Free. AND THAT IS POKER, PEOPLE, IT'S NOT EVEN A SPORT! Want to see the best golfers, football players, baseball players, etc. etc. etc. you get them free. All the time. I can see the defending Superbowl Champions every sunday for free. I don't have to pay $50 extra to watch the Giants, or the Patriots... Think the Superbowl would do pretty good PPV numbers if it wanted to? Of course it would, it would smash every record by 10,000% - but the NFL is too full of SMART PEOPLE to hide its best product for a short term gain. Boxing isn't so lucky.

Thats what I think of boxing.

mexi-cutioner
........................................... sorry.gif worried_anim.gif resent.gif sad.gif
Douchebag
QUOTE(Snowsy @ Dec 22 2008, 07:03 AM) [snapback]417869[/snapback]

Being a boxing fan is akin to being a cricket fan. Or maybe that game where people run on the ice with brooms, trying to clear a path for a rock.

Nobody likes to hear that any less than I do. But boxing has been shoved to the farthest part of the margins of society. It is the most poorly scored sport, has the worst ethical reputation, the amateur system has almost completely stagnated, and (to be completely frank) the sport is so rife with selfish imbiciles that there isn't anywhere to grow. American boxing is the worst. I'm an American, so that pains me, but there is absolutely nothing going on in this country that excites anyone who doesn't know about this site. We're a quickly shrinking minority. The mere fact that we're happy that Versus is covering fights is a bad sign.

If boxing can't get any significant exposure in the next two or three years then you might as well forget it, at least here in the US. Versus will give up on it the way ESPN has - and with the "stars" all retiring... guess what? There will be no new "stars" to fight on Showtime - who is already looking for a reason to reduce its boxing schedule... and then HBO (who holds most of the cards) simply won't want them anymore and will fold. They're too smart to carry dead weight. Oscar is done, Hopkins and Jones are done, Mayweather is done, Wladimir and Manny Pac have a small handful of years left, but nobody interesting to fight...

...the economics won't hold up. Boxing has been on life support for years. Guys like Oscar, Tito, and Roy have been carrying it and now they're gone. Think that Cotto, Dawson, and Berto are the future? Great. But the potential NEW fans have been shut out of watching them because of greed. ESPN is a boxing wasteland now, so there is no "almost famous" fights or fighters favailable for free.

If ESPN (or others) isn't showing guys that are "almost ready" to a wide audience then those guys are invisible.

If it's just us then the PPV numbers tumble (no more Oscar, Roy, Barrera etc. to grab the holdover casual fans)

Goodbye boxing.

And the kiss of death?
Don King, Gary Shaw, Bob Arum, and the rest of the geriatric promoters aren't going to help by trying to increase exposure. Why? because they are in it for the short term. They aren't worried about boxing in ten years. They are stockpiling their money now, while it's good, and then they're going to ride off into the sunset in very short order. They've got absolutely no vested interest in keeping the sport healthy. And the elite fighters have fed right into it. It's a sport of greedy, selfish fools and it deserves to be right where it is. On it's death bed with no visitors.

The fix is exposure. Free and plentiful. Want to see the best poker players on earth? Turn on your TV anytime and Helmuth, Moneymaker, and all of those other top dogs are doing their thing. All the time. Free. AND THAT IS POKER, PEOPLE, IT'S NOT EVEN A SPORT! Want to see the best golfers, football players, baseball players, etc. etc. etc. you get them free. All the time. I can see the defending Superbowl Champions every sunday for free. I don't have to pay $50 extra to watch the Giants, or the Patriots... Think the Superbowl would do pretty good PPV numbers if it wanted to? Of course it would, it would smash every record by 10,000% - but the NFL is too full of SMART PEOPLE to hide its best product for a short term gain. Boxing isn't so lucky.

Meh in the short run I can see what your saying playing out but there are plenty of little kids in the gyms learning the craft right now to make it have a viable future. The fact of the matter is that the sport has to die for a while so that it can come back the way it is supposed to be. Smaller purses mean more fights and more quality fights which is better for us the hard core fans.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Snowsy @ Dec 22 2008, 07:03 AM) [snapback]417869[/snapback]

Goodbye boxing.

And the kiss of death?

Some very good points there Snowsy. I think what you said about idiots running boxing ties in with JOhnnyBlaze's initial point about bad decisions. The fact that us boxing fans let them get away with robberies just makes them think no one will do anything. Here's the thing, if boxing were mainstream you can bet there would be less robberies. Just look at the Lewis-Holyfield fight which recevied mainstream coverage. Any other bad decision between two fighters Joe Football and Jane Voleyball had never heard of would not have mattered but since this fight was seen by millions the bad decision was rightfully condemended. The Comission actually launched an investigation and still it found no wrongdoing. Imagine that, world coverage and they were still to yellow to overturn the decision or at least go after the judges.

The media are also somewhat complicit in these affairs. Often times when a fighter who was robbed in his last fight has another bout on TV the comentators will say he lost a "controversial" decision instead of blatantly saying the truth which is that it was a robbery.

Casamayor-Santa Cruz was a robbery, Casa didn't do jack in that fight. There was an outrage but the judges who screwed Santa Cruz are still working as judges. Why? Would this be allowed in other sports? People say "Well that's boxing, robberies are normal." Actually they are common but they are definelty not normal. Say that they are normal toa fighter who trained his ass off for 2 months only to get robbed of a decision. Oh sure deep down he knows he won the fight but oficially he has an L in record and that stings.

One thing I do now is to write to the comissions, writers and networks everytime a bad decision happens. It might not make much of a difference but if at least a couple hundred of us d so they at least know that there are people out there who don't stand for this crap.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(mexi-cutioner @ Dec 22 2008, 06:16 AM) [snapback]417868[/snapback]
This might be pushing it, but i think compared to the MMA and most other sports, boxing has the most glory. Where in the world would u find an entire country stop to watch a fighter fight (ie: Manny Pacquiao), twenty thousand fans flying over seas to watch their favourite fighter to fight for one night, and an entire country celebrating when their beloved fighitng son wins a fight (ie: mexico, puerto rico, phillipines). You don't see that in MMA, do u? I think boxing is just fine, but boxing isn't as big in the US as it used to be, thats why alot of people here think it is on the downhill. Ask people in Europe, Mexico, south america and south east asia how boxing is doing and I think they woudl beg to differ

Boxing is indeed more glorious than MMA now and I hope it stays that way, I enjoy MMA but nothing beats boxing for me.

Also, if Pacquiao were an MMA fighter the Filipinos would be watching that instead of boxing.
ROLL DEEP
On one hand, I think boxing is a dying sport, but then I think of the Froch-Pascal fight, Haye, Amir Khan, Hatton and boxing in the UK seems pretty healthy.

It's still pretty popular over here. It's never going to be the most popular sport, but it's doing ok recently.

I think Europe is doing well.
Maxy
There has always been bad decisions in boxing. That's just the way it is. Makes you angry for a while but you move on to the next fight and put it behind you.

Bad decisions piss me off but they don't ruin my love for boxing.

I think boxing in America is going through a bad phase. The amateur scene is as poor as I've ever known it to be and without any really top notch heavyweights in the pro ranks, it's lacking big time. I hope it improves but we could be in for a long wait.

You need free-to-air quality fights between prospects over there also.

Froch-Pascal had people talking about it everywhere, people who aren't real fight fans because it was on prime time free tv. Boxing over here, as Roll Deep pointed out, is going from strength to strength. We've got some good fighters at the moment and some excellent ones for the future. Frankie Gavin turns pro in 2009....I expect him to be a big force in 3 years time.

I hate all these uncharismatic European fighters who are technically sound but lack any flair, doing so well at the moment. They are dull to me so I hope that the American boxing scene picks up and some stars emerge from somewhere as soon as possible.
Big Slim Sweet
I can't speak for the Valuev-Holyfield decision but I saw Toney-Fres and it was FAR from being one of the worst decisions I've ever seen. Sometimes with fights like that the decision seems worse when the guy who lost was dominating late in the fight, as Fres was. But overall it was a fight that depending on how you scored the middle rounds could have gone either way. Yeah, it was in Toney and Goosen's backyard, so that raises eyebrows, but so what? Fres knew that going into the fight, and he shouldn't have counted on anything different than what he got.

You know, that fight really wasn't a whole lot different than what you see in every mainstream sport, where the home team gets the benefit of the calls. Why do NBA teams generally have much better records at home than on the road? The energy from the crowd? Of course not. The refs call a slightly biased game for them. That's the way it is in all sports. But when its boxing, everyone and their mother comes out of the woodworks to wax poetic about it being another nail in the coffin. I'm so sick of hearing that shit. People who say boxing's dead want it to be dead.
pcraw
I think it's been a work in progress of boxing steadily shooting itself in the foot. The decisions were horrible, but more than that Valuev and Holyfield being on PPV, Glen Johnson not getting a rematch with Chad Dawson after losing a close decision, but HBO picking up Tarver/Dawson 2 after Tarver loss a lopsided unanimous decision, Julio Caesar Chavez Jr. constantly being on PPV. It's ridiculous. Alot of boxing die hards trash MMA, but boxing really needs to learn from these guys. Champions shouldn't have an option on who they're going to fight. Abraham and Marquez PPV, What?
BGv2.0
I think the sport in general is in a terrible spot....and I cannnot say it anymore perfect than Snowsy did.

I agree with all that post said 100%!

The sad part about it is that I can feel myself losing interest in the game. In about the last 5 years or so I have caught myself skipping fights, adding less and less to my collection and simply being less interested in fights moreso than at any time in my life.

Even supposed "mega fights" hold little interest for me. Oscar/Pac, RJJ/Calzage....among others.....I completley dismissed and never even bothered to watch the replays.

AND....MMA is not a saving grace for me as I have NEVER liked it.

Also....I think MMA will face the exact same fate as Boxing will....but it will be even faster. We are already seeing it with terrible mismatches, crappy PPVs, entire leagues shutting down etc.

In the end....I'll always have my collection to watch. I still enjoy setting back and watching a classic like Bowe/Holyfield or Hagler/Herns or an obscure gem like Foreman/Toronto 5.

So...even if the sport dies...I'll be set up to still love and enjoy what it once was.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(mexi-cutioner @ Dec 22 2008, 07:16 AM) [snapback]417868[/snapback]

Well said. Boxing has always been big in Mexico and when I visited the phillipines two years ago it was booming becuase of Manny. Whne I asked my father in law about boxing in the phillipines before Manny he said the talk would turn to flash elorde meaning before pac boxing was not the most popular sport in the country.
BGv2.0
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 22 2008, 04:09 PM) [snapback]417892[/snapback]
Don't worry, I think everyone is disgusted in heavyweight boxing.

But it's not just HW boxing for me. Like I said, fights with Oscar and RJJ have done little to excite me. Potential fights like PBF/Pac do little for me as well. BOXING is what I'm losing interest in......the HW division is not the ONLY problem.
Mean Mister Mustard
I agree with Fitz, as frustrating and disgusting as decisions and the heavyweights are, boxing is not dying. So RJJ and B-Hop are going out. One of those guys was done and the other will represent a loss of skill for boxing. Sure there doesn't seem to be another DLH in the horizon for now and in 2005 the year in which he didn't fight, the highest grossing PPV was Wright-Trinidad did 500 thousand buys. Good but nothing compared to DLH's numbers. But then look at 2006, he only fought once yet there were still some good fights that year. Same thing in 2007, he fought PBF, a fight I was not all that interested in seeing, yet it too featured some great matches.

Lie BGv, I too did not look foward with delight to DLH's fights. Apart from his box office appeal boxing is not losing all that much from him. We have guys like Cotto, Hatton, PWill, Margarito, Vazquez, Marquez bros, Pacquiao, Direll, Ward, PBF (you know he's not reitred) Caballero, Diaz, Campbell, Kessler, Pavlik, Abraham, Darchinyan these are all big names and they make for compelling fights. Plus if Haye can beat some good heavies he might inject some long needed life into the division and just migh beat one of the Klits. So to say boxing is dying is a bit of a stretch. Sure boxing is not mainstream, it hasn't been for more than a decade but it is doing fine.
Big Slim Sweet
All in all I thought 2008 was a banner year for boxing.

Honestly, when was the last year where we had three outstanding big time fights like we did this year with Vazquez-Marquez 3, Pacman-Marquez 2 and Margarito-Cotto?
JLUVBABY
i have a very bad taste in mouth with the sport right now over the bad decisions... i love the sport tho and will always watch but i recognize there needs to be a serious change for it to continue to have any resemblance of a sport here in the states for any network to pick it up... like someone said the sport has to die off a little in order to get back in line.. i think the monstrous purses really hurt the game.. most of these guys are getting grossly over paid for what they bring into the ring and the fighters that leave thier hearts an souls in the ring is getting paid peanuts.... also, the fight game will continue to suffer as long as the greed of the promoters drive the sport... fighters dont hardly fight each other on the way up anymore for the most part most fighters are protected, then once they get a shot at the titile they are not ready for that type of fight and the fans are cheated either way that is a double edged sword.... i feel like the promoters dont care about the fans.. think about it there are so many fights that take place years after they should have.. i think that hurts the game as well.. holyfield tyson should have happened in the late 80's is one example of what i speak of here... when the promoters finally make a fight we want to see and charge us now $65.99 if you wanna watch it on hd ppv they put on an undercard that aint worth shit then without fail one of the main event fighters either age over night or doesnt show up to fight... i think the only way to fix the problem is to start boycotting the fights... dont let that promoter get another dime of your money till that promoter shows they are gonna put on a quality fight card that is worth the hard earned money you are going to shell out to him.. also to speak on a certain promoter, oscar dela hoya when he first came into his promotional venture he said he would transend the sport with great matches and cards and he seems to put on the worst shit i think i have ever seen from a high scale promotional company... i never minded buying a tyson fight back in the day cuzz one thing for sure even though you knew chances are it was going to be over in 1 or 2 the under card was packed full of fights that would have been main events on any other card... actually not just king it seems all the promoters of the 80's and into the mid 90's put on better cards back then... we are being served garbage and it shows with how the sport is looked at by the general public... ask the average joe blow on the street what he thinks about boxing and he/she will tell you either 1) its rigged or 2) they will compare it to wrestling.... most average joes cant even tell you who the heavyweight champ is right now... when was the last time the casual fan knew who was actually champ?... let me think.. you could argue lewisa but the name that comes to my mind is tyson or the man that beat him holyfield, same guy that got screwed over in switzerland the other night... holyfield having that belt would have been a b-12 shot in the arm for boxing even at the age of 46... you know its bad when cnn only reports on 2 fighters... thats hoya nad mayweather... the sport will be back in due time but i'm not sure how long it will be before it has the luxery it had back in the mid 90's when it was really thriving and we steadily got quality fights and fight cards..
rusty_trombone
i like boxing. i think i dislike most boxing fans.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Dec 22 2008, 12:06 PM) [snapback]417881[/snapback]
I can't speak for the Valuev-Holyfield decision but I saw Toney-Fres and it was FAR from being one of the worst decisions I've ever seen. Sometimes with fights like that the decision seems worse when the guy who lost was dominating late in the fight, as Fres was. But overall it was a fight that depending on how you scored the middle rounds could have gone either way. Yeah, it was in Toney and Goosen's backyard, so that raises eyebrows, but so what? Fres knew that going into the fight, and he shouldn't have counted on anything different than what he got.

I agree. I am a huge Toney fan, and I thought it was close, probably giving a slight edge to Fres the way he ended the fight. Fres did next to nothing early in the fight, and so many middle rounds were hard to score because both fighters barely did anything. If Fres had more desire in there he would have went after Toney way more and took advantage of a fat, half shot Toney. Fres' style is painful to watch.
The CEO
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Dec 22 2008, 07:22 PM) [snapback]417914[/snapback]
i like boxing. i think i dislike most boxing fans.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Post Of The YEAR candidate right there......
Fadetwist
I think the only way boxing would survive is to bring it back to primetime networks. If boxing can get back to prime time all the drama, and excitement each fight brings would be a boost for the sport. Think WWF but REAL.
Snowsy
Everyone in here is right with what they've said.

Boxing has to get back on MAJOR free TV with MAJOR fights. God, it seems so simple.

Otherwise it'll just be folks like us saying, 2008 was a great year for boxing, but that is just because we happen to reside where boxing is currently hiding.

People that I know that are true sports fans, and who can quote statistics from baseball, tell you how to come off of a curl-screen in basketball, and know who the 133rd ranked player on the Tennis Tour is has never heard of the name Cotto or Margarito or Berto or Calzaghe. Face it, boxing is off the map - and the only reason we know about it is because... well... we're off the map too smile.gif
ROLL DEEP
Here is what would make boxing a million times better:

1. Less 'world' titles...none of this WBC, WBA, IBF, WBO, IBO, WBF, WBU....two or three is enough.

2. Exposure on FREE TV. Like I've mentioned before, in the UK, Froch-Pascal was on FREE prime time and that fight had loads of non boxing fans talking about it.

3. A bit more razzamatazz. Build up the fights more, 24/7 style. Pump the fights up. UFC do this very well.

Thats about it really. Easy.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Dec 22 2008, 08:26 PM) [snapback]417925[/snapback]
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Post Of The YEAR candidate right there......

seriously, whiny bunch of bitches
MarzB
Jluv, you've got to get some paragraph spacing going on. You had some good points but that is hard as heck to read.

Rolldeep and everyone else makes good points about free tv but I'd like to add to that.

Here in the states, the NFL (american football) rules. I'm a sports fan in general of all sports but the NFL is KING, TOP DOG here. Why is it PPViews, even pay service fights aren't advertised during games much less the playoffs?? I know those are $$$ ads but I record damn near everything boxing and sometimes show them to my friends and they often say, "I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT IT"!!

Bottom line the promoters are doing a horrible job marketing their product. I heard Bob Arum make a great point about Richard Schaefer saying, "all he knows how to do is take HBO's money and get a site fee". Funny but true.

Here some other things.

Stop having big fights ONLY in Vegas, Atlantic City. When Tyson fought Lewis in Memphis, that was great. Mosley and Margarito in LA is a great selection over the first Vegas choice. But overall the big fights are still in those two places mainly Vegas and it's getting boring personally. It to me creates an already existing "class" division but within boxing.

I'm in my mid 30's and "back in my day,lol" I remember going to the arena to watch big fights with my pops. That experience is pretty much a novelty nowadays. The point is by having fights ONLY at the big venues you're spitting the foot for the new/next generation. I teach boxing to adults and kids and most hardly KNOW of any active boxers not named Dela Hoya, maybe Mayweather and still Mike Tyson is referenced.

I was talking to my brother about this and he mentioned back in the 70's, ABC Wide World of Sports would often showcase prison boxing. One of those coming out was Ron Lyle. Not to say we should go back and rely on convicts,lol but whats clearly missing is that element of watching someone come up.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Fadetwist @ Dec 22 2008, 10:15 PM) [snapback]417928[/snapback]
I think the only way boxing would survive is to bring it back to primetime networks. If boxing can get back to prime time all the drama, and excitement each fight brings would be a boost for the sport. Think WWF but REAL.

Bring back the networks and get us Fighthypers sitting at the judges scoring table so we can put these judges today to shame by calling it how it really is..Yeah some fights are tough to call but for the most part it's clear to use hardcore fans..Maybe the judges aren't watching or something..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.