Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Williams-Wright in April at 160
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
salvador
I think Winky-Williams would be an absolutely outstanding fight. I think it's embarassing for boxing that Williams has to fight at 160 to get a name in the ring, but God Bless him for taking it.

On paper I think Williams actually has the edge because of his obvious physical advantages and his high work rate. But Winky has a great defense and if there's anything in the world that could slow a high output guy like Williams down it's a great jab like Winky's.

Usually I don't get too excited about fights when I know that they will be going to the scorecards, but I like this one a lot. At 37 this is probalby Winky's last big shot unless he looks so bad that Arum decides to put Pavlik in with him. Given that, I think WInky will come out aggressively like he did against JT and I think WIlliams will be in for a hell of a fight, cause he's going to get countered with heavy jabs all night - something he's never experienced. Not to mention that WInky's a southpaw, and Williams didn't fare too well against Quintana.

I hope that after this fight Williams is still able to make it back down to ww because I'd still love to see the Marg rematch and I'd love to see Floyd shamed into fighting him.

Williams by razor thin decision.
King Eugene
Lucky Me!

I just posted a thread about bouts needed in 09 and this was one I named. I've been wanting this for a while. I'm a big fan of PWill, his style, and his respect for boxing and just wanting to fight with money not being the issue. But I think Wink gets this one by SD.

But damn its 4 months away. Well I guess its better than 6 months.
Method
Gimme WRight by UD

D-MARV
I'll go with Williams by late stoppage...

Winky has been on a steady decline in his past few fights and the TWO YEAR lay-off just adds to the effect! The Winkster is getting old and he has been touched up a bit in his latest fghts. His defense is no where near what it was and a younger, bigger, faster, stronger opponent is all wrong for Winky.

And this goes beyond my "Man Love" for PWill, as JD will put it. Abraham, Kessler, and Calzaghe would all punish the Winkster.

Sadly, we have seen Winky's best days and from this point on I would like to see Winky retire OR aim for a more winnable fights. Maybe he can target some of these young bucks like Duddy, Andy Lee, or JCC Jr.
King Eugene
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Dec 26 2008, 08:16 PM) [snapback]418262[/snapback]

Winky has been on a steady decline in his past few fights and the TWO YEAR lay-off just adds to the effect! The Winkster is getting old and he has been touched up a bit in his latest fghts. His defense is no where near what it was and a younger, bigger, faster, stronger opponent is all wrong for Winky.

And this goes beyond my "Man Love" for PWill, as JD will put it. Abraham, Kessler, and Calzaghe would all punish the Winkster.

Sadly, we have seen Winky's best days and from this point on I would like to see Winky retire OR aim for a more winnable fights. Maybe he can target some of these young bucks like Duddy, Andy Lee, or JCC Jr.

I understand your point but I think his ring smarts and experience will help guide his way to victory. The only fighter that completely took Winky out of his game was BHop but he does that to everybody.

Those other guys wouldn't bring enough money or anything else to the table for Wink to fight them. Thats like telling him to go back to Wednesday night fights. He's no Zab Judah, no matter how long he has been out.
Mean Mister Mustard
Wright had trouble with J.C Candelo back in 03 and that was when he was lighter and quicker on his feet. However, if the Wright that showed up against Taylor shows up here I guve him a good chance to beat Williams. Williams is not knocking Wright out.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Dec 26 2008, 08:30 PM) [snapback]418265[/snapback]
Wright had trouble with J.C Candelo back in 03 and that was when he was lighter and quicker on his feet. However, if the Wright that showed up against Taylor shows up here I guve him a good chance to beat Williams. Williams is not knocking Wright out.

Thats for Damn sure
D-MARV
PWill won't knock him out!...

but the fight will be stopped within the distance.
D-MARV
QUOTE(3King3 @ Dec 26 2008, 08:28 PM) [snapback]418264[/snapback]
I understand your point but I think his ring smarts and experience will help guide his way to victory. The only fighter that completely took Winky out of his game was BHop but he does that to everybody.

Those other guys wouldn't bring enough money or anything else to the table for Wink to fight them. Thats like telling him to go back to Wednesday night fights. He's no Zab Judah, no matter how long he has been out.

Winky Vs JCC Jr would do well and Duddy-Winky would do well at the Garden.
salvador
QUOTE(Method @ Dec 26 2008, 09:09 PM) [snapback]418260[/snapback]
Gimme WRight by UD

That was my first instinct just because his jab is going to be landing so cleanly so often and Williams' wide punches are mostly going to be landing on Winky's gloves. But I just think that Williams throws too many punches for the judges to give it to Winky.

But if the odds are right - Winky at +200 or better, then I'm with Winky.
King Eugene
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Dec 26 2008, 09:07 PM) [snapback]418269[/snapback]
Winky Vs JCC Jr would do well and Duddy-Winky would do well at the Garden.

No they wouldn't.

You might as well go ahead and put Duddy and JCC Jr. in there on somebodies undercard.

Winky vs. Sturm would be great though. I wish Winky and Forrest would fight though.
JonnyBlaze
I'm real glad this is happening..2 guys who are always being avoided..One punishes you and one makes you look really bad..I think it's a toss up fight but I'll go with Williams by UD..He has a huge output and his speed won't allow as many counters as Winky would like..
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I think Winky is a yard slower than he was a couple of years ago (inevitable I guess). I like Paul's reach advantage and superior output.

A fairly boring UD to The Punisher.
King Eugene
I like Paul but he is very hittable. His defense is not on a high enough level to stop the constant jabs and I dont care how many punches he throws a round.
Sugar Q
Paul Williams is punking Margarito in every category by showing the heart of a true champion. Why isn't Margarito fighting Paul Williams? NO EXCUSES! Margarito is a sham who only wants to fight guys that are smaller than him! I hope Shane comes to fight so he can finally expose this sham. PW does not need Winky but I aint mad at this fight. Paul is a throw back. If only he'd fight tall he would really make life easier for himself. Good fight for the fans but I dont know if this is a good move for PW.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Dec 27 2008, 12:19 AM) [snapback]418325[/snapback]
Paul Williams is punking Margarito in every category by showing the heart of a true champion. Why isn't Margarito fighting Paul Williams? NO EXCUSES! Margarito is a sham who only wants to fight guys that are smaller than him! I hope Shane comes to fight so he can finally expose this sham. PW does not need Winky but I aint mad at this fight. Paul is a throw back. If only he'd fight tall he would really make life easier for himself. Good fight for the fans but I dont know if this is a good move for PW.

The sad thing is that Margarito isn't even thinking about Williams... We won't see this fight until 2010!
D-MARV
QUOTE(3King3 @ Dec 26 2008, 10:29 PM) [snapback]418277[/snapback]
No they wouldn't.

You might as well go ahead and put Duddy and JCC Jr. in there on somebodies undercard.

Winky vs. Sturm would be great though. I wish Winky and Forrest would fight though.

You think Sturm-Winky would do more numbers than JCC Jr-Winky?
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Dec 26 2008, 07:16 PM) [snapback]418262[/snapback]

i think winky is too savvy to get stopped but i do think williams can out work him for 12 rounds... we could see winky hurt on occasions too in this fight... winky doesnt fight enough to keep any kind of edge and to have any kind of consistency...
MarzB
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Dec 27 2008, 01:19 AM) [snapback]418325[/snapback]

Not according to another thread where there Margarito is still the most feared man in boxing or atleast to Floyd Mayweather. Nevermind that dude was clearly losing to Clottey and Clottey doesn't have half the tools of Floyd but I've learned to just let it be..

That said, I hate to say this but Winky not having a tune up fight and being off nearly two years doesn't bode well with a guy like this. Paul isn't going to "Harry Simon" him by any means but if Wrights jab isn't working (his bread and butter) I can see Williams getting a decision the "Calzaghe" way. By more activity.

Paul Williams is (very) beatable IMO but his southpaw, frequent activity style is very hard to replicate in sparring.

I'm rooting for Winky but I think Paul gets this nod.

I wouldn't mind attending this fight if it's NOT in Vegas...
EpTXCHAMP
man i wish paul would just straight out call margarito aka the maxboxing hype job in the post fight interview after beating winky.

I see P-will by UD there will be moments in this fight but doubt this fight provides much excitment unless paul proves me wrong and his punches are actually stronger now that he doesnt need to drop too much weight
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(MarzB @ Dec 27 2008, 01:51 PM) [snapback]418357[/snapback]
Not according to another thread where there Margarito is still the most feared man in boxing or atleast to Floyd Mayweather. Nevermind that dude was clearly losing to Clottey and Clottey doesn't have half the tools of Floyd but I've learned to just let it be..

That said, I hate to say this but Winky not having a tune up fight and being off nearly two years doesn't bode well with a guy like this. Paul isn't going to "Harry Simon" him by any means but if Wrights jab isn't working (his bread and butter) I can see Williams getting a decision the "Calzaghe" way. By more activity.

Paul Williams is (very) beatable IMO but his southpaw, frequent activity style is very hard to replicate in sparring.

I'm rooting for Winky but I think Paul gets this nod.

I wouldn't mind attending this fight if it's NOT in Vegas...

i'm not sure williams is very beatable right now.. he can be beat just like every fighter but i see him slowly becoming a force in the middle weight classes... he appears to be getting better by the fight... winky not having fought in a while is taking the wrong fight.. my opinion is that winky has hurt his career tremendously by not being active... he could be in the mix for all types of fights but he chooses to fight once a year if that, then outprice himself in key fights he should take... personally i dont think boxing needs a fighter like that, if he doesnt wanna fight and be active stay out the game is my opinion... he has made a little money and he doesnt fight regularly like he should... he wont beat williams just like he wont beat abraham and a lot of other guys out there... he's not active enough...
Big Slim Sweet
Man, it's really happening, huh? Williams-Margarito is becoming just like Mayweather-Margarito here, where you can't have a thread about one without it turning into a diatribe against the other. That's a shame. To me they're two of the truest, most likeable warriors to come around the sport this generation. There's no reason fans should feel the need to have to pick one or the other.

And I'm guessing most of the people claiming Tony's a hypocrite now for acting just like Mayweather did were some of the same ones defending Mayweather for acting like that then. Oh well. Always remember the crucial difference in these two scenarios: Margarito had the stones to fight Williams once, something Mayweather wasn't willing to do with him.

As for the fight on topic, I'll go (perhaps wishfully) with Paul by UD. His activity should cause the aging Winkster a lot of problems. Wink will have to fight this time around, which should make it a surprisingly entertaining scrap, much like Winky-Taylor was.
neophyte7
Winky schools Williams then we can stop hearing all of the pathetic overrated talk about this guy... good young fighter yes... he is not able to beat Wright- a borderline great fighter---
thefloatingmonkey
Winky is one of my favorite fighters and I hate going against him, but I think Paul will be too active for him. Paul by UD.
STEVENSKI
I think I wish I was dead looking at fights like this being made & being called main events. Williams is OK but I am not riding his pole like some on here. Winky well the less said about him the better IMO.
Mean Mister Mustard
People scolded Hopkins and Wright after their fight for looking old but the reason why the fight turned out like it did was because you had two guys in there who were and are very hard to beat decisevely. Nothing in boxing is very shocking, theater of the unexpected but Wright is virtualy KO proof. He's also a strong guy and if Quintana could outmuscle Williams in close then you can bet Wright will too.
Sugar Q
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Dec 27 2008, 03:34 PM) [snapback]418368[/snapback]
Man, it's really happening, huh? Williams-Margarito is becoming just like Mayweather-Margarito here, where you can't have a thread about one without it turning into a diatribe against the other. That's a shame. To me they're two of the truest, most likeable warriors to come around the sport this generation. There's no reason fans should feel the need to have to pick one or the other.

And I'm guessing most of the people claiming Tony's a hypocrite now for acting just like Mayweather did were some of the same ones defending Mayweather for acting like that then. Oh well. Always remember the crucial difference in these two scenarios: Margarito had the stones to fight Williams once, something Mayweather wasn't willing to do with him.

As for the fight on topic, I'll go (perhaps wishfully) with Paul by UD. His activity should cause the aging Winkster a lot of problems. Wink will have to fight this time around, which should make it a surprisingly entertaining scrap, much like Winky-Taylor was.

The difference is Mayweather was in the position to call the shots Margarito wasn't and still isn't.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Dec 27 2008, 11:15 PM) [snapback]418410[/snapback]
The difference is Mayweather was in the position to call the shots Margarito wasn't and still isn't.

Huh? Says who? That difference is your perception. Margarito fighting Williams already is fact.
Sugar Q
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Dec 28 2008, 11:48 PM) [snapback]418515[/snapback]
Huh? Says who? That difference is your perception. Margarito fighting Williams already is fact.

So is Margarito losing to Williams and refusing the rematch for more money than he's ever made. If I recall Margarito HAD to fight Williams or be stripped. PBF being ranked P4P by everyone and their mother makes him the man. Not to mention being a undefeated,multi-division champion. Try comparing that to a 5-time loser that is killing himself to make weight with 2 of those loses to current champions and a controversial win against another current champion that he refuses to fight. Get real. Margarito doesn't compare to Mayweather and never will. He's a big welter that preys upon smaller welters cause he doesn't have the heart to move up. Why is their talk of Williams/Pavlik, Williams/Wright,etc. We can't even get a Williams/Margarito, Clottey/Margarito let lone a Santos/Margarito rematch. Forget about Stiffmet Cintron. I see a pattern of a guy that doesn't like fighting guys his own size and that is NOT a champion's heart.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Dec 29 2008, 01:14 PM) [snapback]418556[/snapback]
So is Margarito losing to Williams and refusing the rematch for more money than he's ever made. If I recall Margarito HAD to fight Williams or be stripped. PBF being ranked P4P by everyone and their mother makes him the man. Not to mention being a undefeated,multi-division champion. Try comparing that to a 5-time loser that is killing himself to make weight with 2 of those loses to current champions and a controversial win against another current champion that he refuses to fight. Get real. Margarito doesn't compare to Mayweather and never will. He's a big welter that preys upon smaller welters cause he doesn't have the heart to move up. Why is their talk of Williams/Pavlik, Williams/Wright,etc. We can't even get a Williams/Margarito, Clottey/Margarito let lone a Santos/Margarito rematch. Forget about Stiffmet Cintron. I see a pattern of a guy that doesn't like fighting guys his own size and that is NOT a champion's heart.

Margarito CHOSE to fight the bigger man in Williams to honor his mandatory INSTEAD OF relinquishing the title like most fighters would have to take the bigger purse against the smaller, more beatable man in Cotto. In the past two years alone he's fought all the other notable big welterweights in Williams, Cintron and Clottey. Prior to that Margarito accepted a fight with Winky that Winky turned down. That pattern you say you see is based solely on your own personal bias and nothing more.

PBF was calling the shots against Margarito, true, and as a result that fight didn't get made. Well now Margarito is the one calling the shots against Williams. That's just how it is. You might feel like Mayweather was justified to be in that position while Margarito isn't, but again, that's your opinion and nothing else. Five previous losses (three of which btw came before the guy even had hair on his balls) doesn't mean you can't be in a position of power with regards to negotiating. Just look at DLH for proof of that.

Again, Margarito chose to fight Williams. Mayweather refused to fight Margarito. That's the difference.
King Eugene
Ok lets try to keep one thread on topic.

Williams may be the favorite to win but he is not knocking Winky out. Winky by SD.
Lil-lightsout
If Winky has anything left, he will be a good test for Williams. I can not remember how long since Winky has been in the ring? Was it the Hopkins fight? I would slightly favor PW at this point, but I would not count out Winky. To me it depends what Winky shows up.
streetlion1
No way this hype job beats Winky unless he's fallin completely off..........Wright by U.D.
alaganza
A very uneventful split to Winky in this one.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 30 2008, 10:39 PM) [snapback]418800[/snapback]
The most interesting thing will be how Williams handles another southpaw. Already had trouble with Quintana once, but avenged that in the best possible way.

He also was getting hit a lot by Sharmbe Mitchell, despite knocking him down 17-18 times.
neophyte7
The more I think of this bout, Williams may get hurt. This will be the biggest man he has faced. - Winky has seen it all LMAO... Winky was muscling Jermain Taylor, pummelling him on the ropes and Taylor is strong as a motherphucker... Willliams is going to get his ass kicked. Winky needed some time off. The man has logged alot of rounds, but does not take a great deal of punishment to his head. His defense is tremendous- He may be among Hopkins and Mayweather in terms of ability to land clean punches against him. At middle Winky is very strong. The gangly Williams may be in for a thrashing
The Original MrFactor
Gimme Williams by decision. Williams has had trouble with southpaws before, so Winky will have his moments. However, Winky doesnt shoot from angles or do anything special accept hide behind a turtle shell and jab. Williams will be throwing all day at his ribs, arms and eventually getting thru the shell to Winky's face.

The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(neophyte7 @ Dec 27 2008, 03:45 PM) [snapback]418369[/snapback]
Winky schools Williams then we can stop hearing all of the pathetic overrated talk about this guy... good young fighter yes... he is not able to beat Wright- a borderline great fighter---

Man you must have been hell on Holyfield and Tyson around 1986. Tyson was probably overrated too huh? He'd never be able to beat a guy like Trevor Berbick... rolleyes_anim.gif
D-MARV
According to Boxrec... the fight will be for the WBO light welterweight title. Is it @ 154?
D-MARV
And when was the last time Winky schooled anyone? Tito? Paul Williams will "PUNISH" Winky Wright.
streetlion1
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 1 2009, 03:51 PM) [snapback]418942[/snapback]
And when was the last time Winky schooled anyone? Tito? Paul Williams will "PUNISH" Winky Wright.

Sorry but Wink probably will dominate the over-hyped PW. The only way he doesnt is if his skills have dropped off. Wink has been in there with way better competition than this so-called Punisher.

Paul Williams can move better than Wink but thats it and that being said who cant? Wink is a great defender and better boxer overall. He will just walk through PW's punches (who is like Slappy at times with his pitty-pat punches) with his turtle shell defense and assert his jab on his way to a U.D. victory.

Devo
QUOTE(salvador @ Dec 26 2008, 08:31 PM) [snapback]418252[/snapback]
I think Winky-Williams would be an absolutely outstanding fight. I think it's embarassing for boxing that Williams has to fight at 160 to get a name in the ring, but God Bless him for taking it.

On paper I think Williams actually has the edge because of his obvious physical advantages and his high work rate. But Winky has a great defense and if there's anything in the world that could slow a high output guy like Williams down it's a great jab like Winky's.

Usually I don't get too excited about fights when I know that they will be going to the scorecards, but I like this one a lot. At 37 this is probalby Winky's last big shot unless he looks so bad that Arum decides to put Pavlik in with him. Given that, I think WInky will come out aggressively like he did against JT and I think WIlliams will be in for a hell of a fight, cause he's going to get countered with heavy jabs all night - something he's never experienced. Not to mention that WInky's a southpaw, and Williams didn't fare too well against Quintana.

I hope that after this fight Williams is still able to make it back down to ww because I'd still love to see the Marg rematch and I'd love to see Floyd shamed into fighting him.

Williams by razor thin decision.
cool.gif Wright says April 11th ... Mandalay Bay ... sure would like to see the Punisher catchem' flush .... but he is the elusive Winkmeister .... good fight ! Good point about the southpaw ... straight rights needed !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.