Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My wish list for BHOP for 2009
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Col Reb
This is how I'd love to see BHOP spend his 2009:

Spring: Fight Chad Dawson and earn a belt at light-heavy

Winter: Fight Valuev and get a heavyweight belt

I think both are fights that I would favor BHOP to win. He could add to his legacy and mkae history. Then, just for entertainment purposes, give us that long-awaited match with James Toney in early 2010. I know I'm just dreaming, but it would be interesting if BHOP were to follow this path.

Method
All I want to see is the Calzaghe rematch. That's it. Oh, and if he feels like a tune up bout, he could school Glenn Johnson again in a farewel fight, but ONLY after the Calzaghe rematch.
Yucayeke
QUOTE(Method @ Dec 28 2008, 12:51 PM) [snapback]418423[/snapback]
All I want to see is the Calzaghe rematch. That's it. Oh, and if he feels like a tune up bout, he could school Glenn Johnson again in a farewel fight, but ONLY after the Calzaghe rematch.

All I truly want for Hopkins is to retire, go home hang with the kids, live the life he has fought so hard for.

The man has nothing to prove, can't be hurting for Money unless he invested it all with either Tyson or Madoff!

Hopkins will get his HOF pick and maybe one day he might even do something to that gap he has in his grill!

What's the point of fighting on?Teach the kids how to do what he does, with what Bhops knows about boxing, he could very well end up being one of the best trainers in the sport!
JD
The Pavlik fight was a perfect...PERFECT farewell.

Ride off into the sunset.
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(JD @ Dec 28 2008, 12:11 PM) [snapback]418446[/snapback]

Or smash the shit outta Calzaghe.
D-MARV
Hopkins won't Smash Calzaghe.

I agree with JD... Just ride off into the sunset. You're a legend and an All Time Great!
thefloatingmonkey
I did enjoy his beatdown of Palvik, but I think BHOP needs to retire.

If he fights Joe again, he will get beat again.
Snoop
I have to agree with most posters here. Calzaghe is just a bad style matchup for B-Hop. I too would like to see him retire. He's earned it. Although I do want to see Calzaghe's face smashed in too.
D-MARV
I want to see Calzaghe get smashed too. That's why he has to fight Chad Dawson.
King Eugene
BHOP went out on top against Pavlik, he should leave it that way.

I've always said he'd be a great trainer.
Fitz
He should retire. It's a remarkable story to see a guy at this age perform at the level he is and it's what separates from the others. If he fights too long, he is pretty much going out like others. Go out now.
salvador
QUOTE(JD @ Dec 28 2008, 01:11 PM) [snapback]418446[/snapback]
The Pavlik fight was a perfect...PERFECT farewell.

yep
Method
I thought he beat Calzaghe the first go-round, and I think he does it more convincingly the second time around.
King Eugene
I dont want BHOP to fight again and really get old over night and make his fight with Pavlik look like a fluke or get even more discredited because people will really start to think Pavlik is way overrated.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Method @ Dec 28 2008, 09:57 PM) [snapback]418500[/snapback]
I thought he beat Calzaghe the first go-round, and I think he does it more convincingly the second time around.

I hope your correct! Next time... after he drops in the first I hope he jumps on him.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Dec 28 2008, 10:57 PM) [snapback]418509[/snapback]
I hope your correct! Next time... after he drops in the first I hope he jumps on him.

It still irks me cause Bernard and Roy both really did not go after Joe after dropping him in the first round. It is like they both played it too cautious, they could have went after him more and maybe tried for the KO. The Roy fight was the more recent fight, so I definately remember Roy not testing Joe too much and letting him off the hook. I thought Bernard did lay back too much too, but I could be wrong, I only watched that fight once.
Method
Bernard should NOT have jumped on Joe after the KD because Joe was NOT HURT. you don't dont jump all over a guy who is not hurt because you leave yourself wide open to get caught with something (see Charles Brewer/Antwun Echols for just ONE example of this age old axiom).
D-MARV
QUOTE(Method @ Dec 29 2008, 05:55 AM) [snapback]418541[/snapback]
Bernard should NOT have jumped on Joe after the KD because Joe was NOT HURT. you don't dont jump all over a guy who is not hurt because you leave yourself wide open to get caught with something (see Charles Brewer/Antwun Echols for just ONE example of this age old axiom).

Bernard didn't even test Joe after he dropped him... He didn't have to go balls out but he should applied more pressure. Just my opinion!
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Dec 29 2008, 08:46 AM) [snapback]418544[/snapback]
Bernard didn't even test Joe after he dropped him... He didn't have to go balls out but he should applied more pressure. Just my opinion!

Yeah, I agree. He did after all drop Joe, maybe he could have done it again? And Joe is not exactly an Echols in the power department, and Brewer as always had a shaky chin where Bernard has an excellent chin.
Fitz
Method is right, Hopkins did not hurt Joe, he dropped him which was a flash knockdown. Jones Jr, hurt Calzaghe.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Method @ Dec 29 2008, 06:55 AM) [snapback]418541[/snapback]

Exactly..B-Hop was smart about it..He and Jones both didn't hurt him they just got him with a quick shot he didn't see..Calzaghe may of came in kinda cold and they surprised him with a quick short shot that put him down but didn't faze him..The B-Hop punch was PERFECT..Short right hand on the inside while Joe thought he had him since he was on the ropes where he wanted him..Jones landed a weird shot on him and he did hurt him more than B-Hop's..Sometimes it's not the flush perfect shot that does more damage as a awkward punch..
Fitz
I disagree, I think Jones actually hurt Calzaghe.
Mean Mister Mustard
Hopkins should retire but he won't.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Dec 28 2008, 03:08 PM) [snapback]418461[/snapback]
I have to agree with most posters here. Calzaghe is just a bad style matchup for B-Hop. I too would like to see him retire. He's earned it. Although I do want to see Calzaghe's face smashed in too.

I can live with that,,,,

But Calzaghe can beat B-HOP 10 times.....and still wouldnt be greater.....
King Eugene
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 29 2008, 03:25 PM) [snapback]418585[/snapback]
I disagree, I think Jones actually hurt Calzaghe.

He hurt him bad. I think if the glove would have actually connected with the chin instead of the wrist, it would have been a first round 10 count. Then we would be talking Hopkins vs. Jones II
D-MARV
All I'm saying is that Hopkins should have pressured Calzaghe more.
Col Reb
I understand the sentiment that BHOP should go out on such an impressive win, but I think that he'll dominate Dawson as well. That would add to his legacy. Do y'all think BHOP would win that fight?
D-MARV
I would Favor Dawson by Close decision over Hopkins.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Dec 29 2008, 06:51 PM) [snapback]418601[/snapback]
He hurt him bad. I think if the glove would have actually connected with the chin instead of the wrist, it would have been a first round 10 count. Then we would be talking Hopkins vs. Jones II

HAHAHAHAHA..I wouldn't expect anything less from you..
streetlion1
Wouldnt be mad at him if he retired but i think he would beat Dawson and i think he would beat Calzaghe in a rematch. No one is fuckin with B-Hop even at this point in his career....I wish that pussy Calzaghe would take the rematch!
neophyte7
Dawson is good but he can be touched... I recall Adamek dropped and hurt him... also Dawson throws alot of punches- all that don't land cleanly. Hopkins can time Dawson and after watching Hopkins Pavlik, it seems that Hopkins is mighty strong at lightheavy. I give Dawson credit for his victory against Tarver, but people have blown his performance out of proportion because like I said many of his flurries did not land cleanly... Tarver actually buzzed him a few times while Dawson took his customary breaks. Hopkins is a master of the sweet science, a guru of the mental aspects of the game- almost like no one in the history of boxing his only "so called flaws in recent years, where his mastery was challenged considerably was against Taylor and Calzaghe, and in both fights many feel Hopkins won... Hopkins, though, I feel was not 100% focused in these situations--- he had separation issues with Bouie Fisher in the Taylor bouts, and he did not have Nazim against Calzaghe due to his stroke( I still feel Hop won both bouts)--- Calzaghe will be a different outcome with Nazim Richardson in the corner with Hopkins and involved in the dissecting and breaking down of Calzaghe or Dawson--- I think that the "getting old overnight" concept goes out of the window with Hopkins- the man is a boxing God

Nazim Richardson can develop a plan the break Chad Dawson--- If Hopkins wanted him now, he should take him this Spring - I want a Calzaghe rematch with Richardson in the training camp and corner of Hopkins
Method
Agree with you except there were no seperation issues with Bouie. Bouie, IMO, did a shit job as far as corner advice, in the first Taylor fight, but that didn't really matter as much. In his later years as Hopkins' trainer, Bouie was there more in stature, out of respect on Bernard's part, than he was because what he was teaching and advising on during fights.

I have been in a couple of camps, and every time I was, Bouie was more of a guy on the sidelines, just an observer. Naaz and Bernard were really the guys interacting day to day in camp. That is NOT to say Bouie didnt have a roll. The only times I saw them interact was when Bouie would tape Bernard up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.