Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sugar Shane vs The Tijuana Tornado (Mosley-Margarito Preview Thread)
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3
flakillo
I want to see Margarito win even though I really like Mosley. I think Margarito will win even though I think Mosley is a good fighter.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 29 2008, 11:05 PM) [snapback]418651[/snapback]
Voted for both.

LOL... you're an asshole. LOL.
BigG
Margarito via beating..late round TKO
kidbazooka1
Mosley will make it competitve in the early rds but once Marg gets going I see him stopping Mosley late in the fight.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 30 2008, 12:05 AM) [snapback]418651[/snapback]
Voted for both.

Hahaha,that's some bitch shit..Pick one..
JonnyBlaze
I voted for Margarito..I know I've been going for the guy most unlikely to win lately but I got a feeling Marg. will get an old Mosley..Yet,if you look at the guys I've been going for lately,you'd trust my opinion since I've been dead on cool.gif

Yet,the judges fuck me over with bullshit decisions on some..
JD
Voted for both.

Solid move. That shit works.
JD
Voted for both.

Solid move. That shit works.
Method
Love that avatar, btw, Jaranda. Been meaning to tell you that for a while now. I watch that shit over and over evey time you post. Fucking Clay, man. What an animal.
alaganza
I'm not too sure that Margarito will stop Shane but his high output should be enough to win the fight.

I wouldn't count Shane out completely as he is a very good counterpuncher. Maybe not as good as he used to be but Margarito's high output should leave plenty of counter opportunities.

I think the best case scenario for the sport is that Shane loses.
Big Slim Sweet
Rooting for Shane. Picking Tony. Think it will be a closer than most but ultimately a pretty clear decision.
rusty_trombone
Fuck Margarito, Mosley better win. Otherwise FH will see another hatewagon for Mosley.
streetlion1
I like Margarito but I think Shane has the tools to pull off the win. Shane has a better chin,stamina, and faster hands then Cotto. Margarito is still gonna be the same fighter because his style doesnt change. Im sure Shane has watched the Cotto fight 100 times and knows what to do. No way does Shane allow himself to tire out and be trapped on the ropes hammered with power shots.

Mosley win by U.D. setting us up for Mosley-Cotto 2
JLUVBABY
mosley is a beast in there but i think the hard fights have taken their tolls on him... over time he has been in some fights that totally drain a fighter.. check out his fights on boxrec... since his win over phillip holliday for the lightweight title he has fought a very solid group of guys.. i think the youth of margarito is going to show in this fight down the stretch.... i do think mosley will give him problems early... my thought is that margarito wins this fight in the second half of the fight after falling behind early on the cards after mosley slows down... he'll either put so much pressure that it breaks mosley or wins a close decision...
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(JaRaNDa @ Dec 31 2008, 12:25 AM) [snapback]418818[/snapback]
Thanks man! Yes Clay was some kind of freak, I obviously love this clip too, can watch it over and over! That clip shows something so spectacular done so effortlessly by the Great Clay! Love it!

I think this fight may be close on the scorecards but Margs late work will show alot more!

Yeah,that is a awesome clip of Ali..I would be so pissed if I missed all that the way he did..Ali clowned him real bad..
Lil-lightsout
Somehow I hope Shane can pull off a spectacular win, but I favor Tony to win a decision. I think Margarito will make Shane trade with him, and in the process wear out Shane down the stretch where he will dominate. I think it is a huge plus that he dumped Jack and has Naziim(sp?) training him. I would love to see his sparring sessions with Rock Allen, if they actually are sparring together. I used to see Rock fight in the amateurs and couple times pro. I just think it should be a good change for him, it sure couldn't hurt(changing trainers).

Off topic question for Method, if he reads this. Why did Bernard use Roach to prepare him for Calzaghe fight, and not Naziim? Is that when he had his stroke? I know Joe and Kelly have way different styles, but Bernard looked way better overall in the fight against Pavlik. He fought a perfect fight that night. Do you think Bernard could have been better against Joe if he had trained without Roach for that fight? I know you still think he won against Joe, but do you think he could have been better that night with Naziim training him?
Al Hata

I'm going with Mosley. I think hes going to have a great game plan and confuse, out work, and out class Margs. However, I could see Mosley getting tagged trying to mix it up with Margs but I'll stick with Mosley.
AussieLad
Margs all the way
Sugar Q
People think Margarito is a machine but he is 30 yrs old, been in some tough fights himself and at 5'11 gotta be killing himself to continue to make 147. Shane has problems with tall boxers not guys that come straight at him so if Shane studies those Clottey tapes and sticks to his boxing skills he should pull off a BIG win.

Douchebag
I hope Shane gets robbed. Yup I said it. I hope he beats Margarita from pilar to post but doesn't get the decision.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Dec 31 2008, 12:13 PM) [snapback]418846[/snapback]
I hope Shane gets robbed. Yup I said it. I hope he beats Margarita from pilar to post but doesn't get the decision.

Are you joking? Why the fuck would you want that to happen in this or any fight?

Sugar, you and me disagree a lot on Margarito but you make a good point here. People say Shane has trouble with height but it wasn't just the height of Vernon and Winky that troubled him. They both had superior jabs as well. Margarito doesn't, and when he fights in that crouch of his coming forward he tends to give up some of his height. I'm still going with Tony by decision cause I think he's a much bigger man and still a bit fresher (though we'll see if the Cotto fight took anything out of him), but I do expect Mosley's hand speed and pot shotting to give him some problems, especially early.
Big Slim Sweet
Oh, and like someone else said, dropping Daddy Jack and bringing in Nazim can do nothing but help at this point.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Dec 31 2008, 11:13 AM) [snapback]418846[/snapback]

I expect that shit from you.

Mosley KO 23 seconds
Douchebag
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Dec 31 2008, 12:12 PM) [snapback]418851[/snapback]
Are you joking? Why the fuck would you want that to happen in this or any fight?

Sugar, you and me disagree a lot on Margarito but you make a good point here. People say Shane has trouble with height but it wasn't just the height of Vernon and Winky that troubled him. They both had superior jabs as well. Margarito doesn't, and when he fights in that crouch of his coming forward he tends to give up some of his height. I'm still going with Tony by decision cause I think he's a much bigger man and still a bit fresher (though we'll see if the Cotto fight took anything out of him), but I do expect Mosley's hand speed and pot shotting to give him some problems, especially early.

I have my Cotto fanboy hat on and Shane is done anyway. I want Shane to set the table so Cotto can feast in June.
streetlion1
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Dec 31 2008, 11:49 AM) [snapback]418856[/snapback]
I have my Cotto fanboy hat on and Shane is done anyway. I want Shane to set the table so Cotto can feast in June.

Im a Cotto fan too but I'd rather Shane won so it would set us up for Cotto-Mosley 2......that would be a better fight.

JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Jan 2 2009, 09:42 PM) [snapback]419045[/snapback]
Im a Cotto fan too but I'd rather Shane won so it would set us up for Cotto-Mosley 2......that would be a better fight.

Shane should of retired after the Mayorga fight..I couldn't believe how bad he looked..In my opinion,Mayorga never looked better than in that fight..He stopped drinking and smoking a lot or maybe all together for the fight and somehow improved his technique a lot..DLH destroyed Mayorga with ease and Mosley has serious problems and fought the wrong fight..If Mosley tries to fight it out with Margarito,he's going to get fucked up..Yet,if he see a Mosley on his toes and sticking and moving,Mosley has a chance to win..He is getting old in boxing years,especially for his weight class/classes..

I'll be rooting for Mosley but would put my money on Margarito..Yet,it's hard to say since I know Mosley knows what kinda shape he is going to have to be in to fight Margarito..Margarito is the Holyfield of the WW division ONLY and I mean ONLY because everyone knows they have to be in the best shape of their life to get in the ring for a 12 round fight with him..I hate having to say that but it is true..Holy knew he always had to be on top of his game cause no one besides Bowe(in Bowe 3) came in outta shape against him..Bowe was in decent shape but not like he was in the first and second fights..Tyson,Lennox,Mercer,and the list goes on all knew they had to be in the best shape of their life to get in there with Holy..Hell,Foreman didn't look like he was in great shape but he was in amazing shape..I wish there was a guy at heavyweight who could try to motivate guys to be in the best shape they could possibly be in..
streetlion1
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Jan 2 2009, 07:58 PM) [snapback]419048[/snapback]
Shane should of retired after the Mayorga fight..I couldn't believe how bad he looked..In my opinion,Mayorga never looked better than in that fight..He stopped drinking and smoking a lot or maybe all together for the fight and somehow improved his technique a lot..DLH destroyed Mayorga with ease and Mosley has serious problems and fought the wrong fight..If Mosley tries to fight it out with Margarito,he's going to get fucked up..Yet,if he see a Mosley on his toes and sticking and moving,Mosley has a chance to win..He is getting old in boxing years,especially for his weight class/classes..

I'll be rooting for Mosley but would put my money on Margarito..Yet,it's hard to say since I know Mosley knows what kinda shape he is going to have to be in to fight Margarito..Margarito is the Holyfield of the WW division ONLY and I mean ONLY because everyone knows they have to be in the best shape of their life to get in the ring for a 12 round fight with him..I hate having to say that but it is true..Holy knew he always had to be on top of his game cause no one besides Bowe(in Bowe 3) came in outta shape against him..Bowe was in decent shape but not like he was in the first and second fights..Tyson,Lennox,Mercer,and the list goes on all knew they had to be in the best shape of their life to get in there with Holy..Hell,Foreman didn't look like he was in great shape but he was in amazing shape..I wish there was a guy at heavyweight who could try to motivate guys to be in the best shape they could possibly be in..

I think Mayorga is just an awkward fight for most anyone...and your right Shane came in with the wrong gameplan trying to K.O. Mayorga and look impressive and it back fired. No way does he try that strategy with Margarito. I do think Shane comes out and boxes all the way. Watching the Margarito-Cotto fight the only time Cotto got in trouble is when he got tired and stopped on the ropes.

marg. has a chin and stamina but Shane is also always in shape...has a great chin, speed, and is just a better boxer overall. I think he uses his superior boxing skill to win a U.D. but Margarito will make it interesting.

JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Jan 2 2009, 10:26 PM) [snapback]419053[/snapback]
I think Mayorga is just an awkward fight for most anyone...and your right Shane came in with the wrong gameplan trying to K.O. Mayorga and look impressive and it back fired. No way does he try that strategy with Margarito. I do think Shane comes out and boxes all the way. Watching the Margarito-Cotto fight the only time Cotto got in trouble is when he got tired and stopped on the ropes.

marg. has a chin and stamina but Shane is also always in shape...has a great chin, speed, and is just a better boxer overall. I think he uses his superior boxing skill to win a U.D. but Margarito will make it interesting.

I hope Shane gets the W too..He works with DLH so I thought he would of done the same thing DLH did to Mayorga but he did the complete opposite..I thought it was really weird since he had the man who whooped Mayorga more than anyone in my opinion on his side but didn't pick up any tips..Trinidad whooped Mayorga bad too but DLH made it look so much easier..DLH used his boxing skill which is on a whole other level than Trinidad's..So I'm not sure how much he's going to try to replicate the Cotto fight with him(Cotto's early boxing,that is)..
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I have a hunch Shane pulls an upset in this one.

I know what a lousy way to pick a fight, a hunch, but since 2008 was a time for upsets I'll go for one more.

I like Shane's change of corner, for once I think it's a fighter making a real smart change. Shane is a great fighter, hasn't taken too much punishment over the course of his career and I think his strength will surprise Marg.

Shane is a real real strong WW, stronger than Cotto with a few more ring smarts. Provided he doesn't stand in the pocket too much he can frustrate Marg who we all know is one dimensional at best.

However if it's the same Shane that turned up against Mayo, that one dimension Marg will bulldoze straight over him.

However I'm loathed to read too much into Shane's Mayo fight nor how they each fared against Cotto, I've learned that trying to read too much into common opponents and whatnot usually adds up to a whole lot of nothing.

Should be interesting.

D-MARV
I think Tony out works Shane to a competitive UD. But I'll be pulling for "Sugar". Brother Naz is a much better trainer than Jack. Shane can benefit from that.
Mean Mister Mustard
Knowing that Margarito is only going to come at them one way, it will be pretty easy to come up with a gameplan on which punches to throw and how to neutralize Margartio. Getting it done in the ring is another thing and it will be very hard to try and completely nullify Margarito's attack because he has 2 things that will give anyone problems: A grnaite chin and tremendous stamina. The only to to work around that is to stick and move. Paul Williams pulled it off only because he has the same attributes Margarito has, plus better footwork to dance around him. He also did something Cotto failed to do which is to HOLD ON. Shane is pretty good at that so expect him to tie Margarito up pretty constantly and why I feel he will go the distance. I also think Mosley's defense will look better than usual because Margarito is so slow. The chances of Shane winning this one are good.
MarzB
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jan 3 2009, 02:32 PM) [snapback]419087[/snapback]
Knowing that Margarito is only going to come at them one way, it will be pretty easy to come up with a gameplan on which punches to throw and how to neutralize Margartio. Getting it done in the ring is another thing and it will be very hard to try and completely nullify Margarito's attack because he has 2 things that will give anyone problems: A grnaite chin and tremendous stamina. The only to to work around that is to stick and move. Paul Williams pulled it off only because he has the same attributes Margarito has, plus better footwork to dance around him. He also did something Cotto failed to do which is to HOLD ON. Shane is pretty good at that so expect him to tie Margarito up pretty constantly and why I feel he will go the distance. I also think Mosley's defense will look better than usual because Margarito is so slow. The chances of Shane winning this one are good.

The only reason I don't agree about the latter statement Triple M is that Shane has gone away from throwing combinations which was his strength in his prime.

Margarito is NOT an awkward style, just ask Santos, Williams and the forgotten fight of Joshua Clottey. Even Cotto demonstrated that he is VERY EASY to HIT and there to be hit. I personally see Margarito as just a "come forward aggressive fighter" who can only fight one way. The problem for Shane is does he have enough left in the tank to implement a fight plan that can take advantage of that.

Movement, pivoting and good defense beats aggressive styles. As of late, Shane loves to get caught in 'exchanging blows' and to me he hasn't demonstrated power in the higher weight classes (lets not count that last fight please) so I don't understand why he tries to trade.

On a side note I find it ironic he's going with Bro Naz and Naz has close ties to John David Jackson. I saw no issues with him and JDJ and if I'm not mistaken he only went back to "WACK Jack" (lol at his "power boxing" theory) because JDJ was unavailable working with Hopkins at the time.
rusty_trombone
Let me break down this fight. It is going to be a complicated match-up between 2 great prizefighters. Here are the pros and cons of each fighter as I see it:

Margarito Cons
-Window Licker
- Was first choice to play Harry on Harry and the Hendersons
- Fans are gay

Margarito Pros
- Knows how to block punches with his face well

Shane Mosley Pros
-Marital Problems will bring the mean out in him
- Margarito sucks ass

Mosley Cons
-Margarito knows how to jew out wins in fights, despite his lack of fighting ability

I'm going with Mosley via KO in round 1. Lick my balls Margarito fanboys.
Douchebag
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Jan 3 2009, 06:33 PM) [snapback]419113[/snapback]
Let me break down this fight. It is going to be a complicated match-up between 2 great prizefighters. Here are the pros and cons of each fighter as I see it:

Margarito Cons
-Window Licker
- Was first choice to play Harry on Harry and the Hendersons
- Fans are gay

Margarito Pros
- Knows how to block punches with his face well

Shane Mosley Pros
-Marital Problems will bring the mean out in him
- Margarito sucks ass

Mosley Cons
-Margarito knows how to jew out wins in fights, despite his lack of fighting ability

I'm going with Mosley via KO in round 1. Lick my balls Margarito fanboys.

your predictions are even more ludacris than mine. Very big accomplishment.
Devo
dirol.gif ...These fighters are going in opposite directions ... Mosely (38yr. old) fights twice a year, has medium power & has gone the distance w/ the likes of Collazo... Cruz & Estrada ...12 rounds to KO Mayorga ... lost to Cotto ...2 losses to Stinky Winky ...2 losses to the Viper ..."When in doubt, ask your bookie" ... Tornado is -600 @ most sites now dirol.gif
JonnyBlaze
Margarito was first choice for Harry on the Hendersons??To this day I believe Harry was played by Valuev..They shaved his back hair and distributed it all over his body and face..
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Jan 3 2009, 07:40 PM) [snapback]419119[/snapback]
Margarito was first choice for Harry on the Hendersons??To this day I believe Harry was played by Valuev..They shaved his back hair and distributed it all over his body and face..

ok, how about the caveman in Encino Man? There's one thing you learn early in show business, never, ever, ever,ever turn down an opportunity to work with the guy who played Rudy & Pauly Shore. Turning down a movie with Pauly Shore is career suicide, Brendan Frasier would be a nobody without Pauly Shore. Now he's in The Mummy getting paid like he's Money May
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Jan 3 2009, 08:51 PM) [snapback]419120[/snapback]
ok, how about the caveman in Encino Man? There's one thing you learn early in show business, never, ever, ever,ever turn down an opportunity to work with the guy who played Rudy & Pauly Shore. Turning down a movie with Pauly Shore is career suicide, Brendan Frasier would be a nobody without Pauly Shore. Now he's in The Mummy getting paid like he's Money May

HAHAHA..Margarito would of been perfect in Encino Man..
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(MarzB @ Jan 3 2009, 02:27 PM) [snapback]419089[/snapback]
The only reason I don't agree about the latter statement Triple M is that Shane has gone away from throwing combinations which was his strength in his prime.

Margarito is NOT an awkward style, just ask Santos, Williams and the forgotten fight of Joshua Clottey. Even Cotto demonstrated that he is VERY EASY to HIT and there to be hit. I personally see Margarito as just a "come forward aggressive fighter" who can only fight one way. The problem for Shane is does he have enough left in the tank to implement a fight plan that can take advantage of that.

Movement, pivoting and good defense beats aggressive styles. As of late, Shane loves to get caught in 'exchanging blows' and to me he hasn't demonstrated power in the higher weight classes (lets not count that last fight please) so I don't understand why he tries to trade.

On a side note I find it ironic he's going with Bro Naz and Naz has close ties to John David Jackson. I saw no issues with him and JDJ and if I'm not mistaken he only went back to "WACK Jack" (lol at his "power boxing" theory) because JDJ was unavailable working with Hopkins at the time.

Yeah he's not an awkward style, he has a difficult style because he can pull it off with the attributes I mentioned, a granite chin and stamina. Santos didn't school Margarito, the fight was close and he was being pushed back by the smaller man in Margarito. Williams won the fight but he had to give everything he had to edge out the win. Fact of the matter is it is Margarito is a problem for anyone, win or lose.
JonnyBlaze
Margarito has a very usual style..He comes forwards and doesn't use his head much and throws a lot of punchs..He is a typical pressure fighter..
Big Slim Sweet
Unlike a lot of similar pressure fighters, Margarito can throw punches going forward OR backward, and doesn't need to plant his feet to get off his power shots. He IS an awkward style because of these attributes. He's really never been beaten these past 5-10 years. Santos was home-cookin', and Williams had to hang on to finish the job. And while I thought Williams deserved the nod in that fight, I think Shane will have to win even more convincingly to get the nod in this one. The powers that be (hate to use that term, but I do believe in it) want a Margarito-Cotto rematch more than a Cotto-Mosley one. Mosley is up against it here, much like he was against Cotto.

Stylistically though I really think this match-up favors Shane, it's just a question of how much he can still put his body through at 37, cause Margarito's gonna bring it for 36 minutes. At +600 - if that's what he really has fallen to - I think Shane is a pretty good bet. I'm not expecting him to have his hand raised in the end, but it wouldn't shock me.
Mean Mister Mustard
The way Margarito tucks his chin in he leaves himself open for uppercuts and Mosley has a good right hand upper, though he rarely uses. He prefers to go with the sledgehammer right to the temple. Margarito has a good chin but the only time I ever saw him wobbled was via short hook to the temple. That being said Mosley has to be realistic and go into this fight with the mentality to score and win a UD. I think Mosley will score often with the overhand right, whether that is enough scoring to win the fight will remain to be seen.
buford54
Mosely thinks too highly of his power. He thinks he's a KO puncher. But he needs volumes to KO someone and Tony won't let him get off in volumes.
The Original MrFactor
The bottom line is, Shane gets credit for being this slick boxer, which clearly he is not. In fact I'd almost go out on a limb and say he never was. He's a power punching fighter. He has a jab that he seldom uses, unless its to measure a guy for an obvious hook. Sure he may throw a double or triple jab on occasion. For the most part, he throws on punch at a time, like Margarito. Shane doesnt have great defense and will be willing to bang with the banger. Thats been his style. He doesnt really move his head well and is willing to fight the other guys fight. Margarito is gonna put it on him because he throws and throws and throws. Cotto was moving and Tony took 11 rounds to chop him down. Mosley wont be getting out of the way and will get chopped down too...
Devo
QUOTE(buford54 @ Jan 5 2009, 05:10 PM) [snapback]419215[/snapback]
Mosely thinks too highly of his power. He thinks he's a KO puncher. But he needs volumes to KO someone and Tony won't let him get off in volumes.

Devo
dirol.gif ...you nailed it , plus he's 38yrs. olde' ...very good chance for TKO ! dirol.gif
King Eugene
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Dec 30 2008, 07:05 PM) [snapback]418782[/snapback]
I like Margarito but I think Shane has the tools to pull off the win. Shane has a better chin,stamina, and faster hands then Cotto. Margarito is still gonna be the same fighter because his style doesnt change. Im sure Shane has watched the Cotto fight 100 times and knows what to do. No way does Shane allow himself to tire out and be trapped on the ropes hammered with power shots.

Mosley win by U.D. setting us up for Mosley-Cotto 2

I'm with you 100%

Man after watching the Cotto-Margarito fight over and over I just dont see Margarito landing too many big shots unless Mosley gets tired or decides to stand toe to toe and bang. Margarito is slow as shit...I wouldn't be suprised if this looked like Mayweather vs. Baldomir.

But to counter that, Margarito is like a pink bunny. He never stops punching so that to me is whats going to be the problem.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Jan 5 2009, 10:17 PM) [snapback]419253[/snapback]
I'm with you 100%

Man after watching the Cotto-Margarito fight over and over I just dont see Margarito landing too many big shots unless Mosley gets tired or decides to stand toe to toe and bang. Margarito is slow as shit...I wouldn't be suprised if this looked like Mayweather vs. Baldomir.

But to counter that, Margarito is like a pink bunny. He never stops punching so that to me is whats going to be the problem.

Sup 3King3,where you been at man??Haven't seen ya around in awhile..
King Eugene
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Jan 5 2009, 09:31 PM) [snapback]419256[/snapback]
Sup 3King3,where you been at man??Haven't seen ya around in awhile..

What up Blaze...the Holidays man. I was enjoying every bit of it. Mainly partying and hanging out since I rarely do it.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Jan 5 2009, 10:41 PM) [snapback]419258[/snapback]
What up Blaze...the Holidays man. I was enjoying every bit of it. Mainly partying and hanging out since I rarely do it.

That's good man,I did the same..Last week I only was able to work out 2 times because I was doing the samekinda stuff..I rarely do it too so it was fun..I'm started school up again today so I gotta get back in the rhythm of things..What about you??What you got goin on this week??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.