Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boxing's New Face
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
alaganza
The older guys fo the sport have been on their last leg for a little while now. Lennox, Oscar, Shane, Roy, Bernard, Calzaghe....ect

These guys are either "done" or are about to be done with the sport. Who is the next face of the sport. I even feel that the Klits may not be around too much longer. My personal belief is that boxing only needs a face for the casual fans. But the fact of the matter is there are more of them than their are of us.

So is it Margarito, Williams, Cotto, Pacman, Berto. (Just throwing names out here)

Who carries the torch for the sport?

Intested in hearing any thoughts.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(alaganza @ Dec 30 2008, 09:31 AM) [snapback]418725[/snapback]
The older guys fo the sport have been on their last leg for a little while now. Lennox, Oscar, Shane, Roy, Bernard, Calzaghe....ect

These guys are either "done" or are about to be done with the sport. Who is the next face of the sport. I even feel that the Klits may not be around too much longer. My personal belief is that boxing only needs a face for the casual fans. But the fact of the matter is there are more of them than their are of us.

So is it Margarito, Williams, Cotto, Pacman, Berto. (Just throwing names out here)

Who carries the torch for the sport?

Intested in hearing any thoughts.

i think the cuban guy odliander solis MIGHT become the answer that the heavyweight division has been waiting for... i have really liked what i've seen from that guy ameture and pro though i havent heard much lately... i think he has a fight coming up early next month tho... but the old saying goes so goes the heavyweights so goes boxing.. as soon as their is a heavyweight champ that captivates the public boxing should start to gaining momentum again... and his stable mate gamboa seems to def. be the real deal... he should start making some waves as well... i am also very high on juan manuel lopez... i think all 5 names you mentioned will also brighten their stars even more than what they are now... and i also have to mention ricky hatton... his face is on the boxing poster right now as well... he has thousands of fans following him here to the states win or lose... i dont know why he has to travel here to fight.. it would seem like financial sence is to fight him on his home turf...
JD
Pac.
D-MARV
QUOTE(JD @ Dec 30 2008, 11:03 AM) [snapback]418728[/snapback]
Pac.

+1
thehype
Pac
D-MARV
Floyd
streetlion1
Its yet to be determined but I like what I see from Chad Dawson. Unless he makes a mistake and fights hopkins he is gonna be on top for a long time.
AussieLad
Pacs not exactly a new face in boxing, he's been around for a while.
stateofthegame
Right now it is Pac, but I do not think he will fight much longer. If he beats Hatton, there will be nothing to prove unless Mayweather graces him with a fight, but Money only fights that he knows he will win. Pac is a god in the Phillipines and he has aspirations of running for President. As soon as there is nothing else in boxing he will do just that because he knows he will win.
BigG
Pacquiao, especially after what he did to DLH. But Pacquiao doesn't have much longer in the sport.

Cotto would've been the face had he beaten Margarito.
D-MARV
Kelly Pavlik could have been if he beat Hopkins but unfortunately, just like Cotto, he couldn't get the job done.

It's hard to say who the "New" face of boxing will be. I want to say Chad Dawson... dntknw.gif
alaganza
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 30 2008, 11:22 PM) [snapback]418817[/snapback]
Pacquiao, especially after what he did to DLH. But Pacquiao doesn't have much longer in the sport.

Cotto would've been the face had he beaten Margarito.

I wouldn't necessarily disqualify Cotto just for the loss to Margarito. If Cotto could string together a few significant wins he could still be the "face" of the sport. Because he has a pretty good following he can draw and can be marketed.

Besides that Pac has a few losses to his credit and many would accept him as the face of the sport.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.