Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roy Jones going to Heavyweight
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
Box in Hand
Well, I have just read an interview where Roy Jones Jr. says if Calzaghe doesn't grant him a rematch he is moving to heavyweight. First, I think he may be able to beat some of the chumps at heavy but why does he even need to keep fighting? Also, he stated that Calzaghe is seriously considering offering him a rematch. What the f#@$? Didn't someone tell him he doesn't have what it takes to beat Joe. He had it, but not anymore. I'd like to get yalls opinion on this.
thehype
What you meant to say was that you just read Roy begging for a big money fight over on boxinqtalk...which is pretty standard for a lot of those brothas to do when the chips are down. Roy, Tarver, Toney, Barrett, Judah...any time those guys want to beg for a fight, they do an "interview" with boxinqtalk and say whatever they think they need to say in hopes of getting a big money fight. Roy didn't just come out and say he's moving to heavyweight...he said he's willing to fight anyone from 168 up to heavyweight...basically, wherever the money is at and whoever is going to get him paid. I can't remember the exact quote nor would I even bother putting it up, but he definitely made it clear that he's looking for a fight that's going to get him paid. So why does he need to keep fighting? Simple...money! Will he actually move to heavyweight? Only if the money is right and judging from the fact that the only two heavyweights he mentioned were Valuev and Holyfield (particularly Holyfield as he talked about fans possibly being interested in that fight), he's not going to get the kind of money that will entice him to make the move. Same ol' song and dance from Roy.
CyruS
I just can't look at Roy the same after he bended over for Calzaghe bad.gif
Box in Hand
QUOTE(thehype @ Dec 31 2008, 09:55 AM) [snapback]418841[/snapback]
What you meant to say was that you just read Roy begging for a big money fight over on boxinqtalk...which is pretty standard for a lot of those brothas to do when the chips are down. Roy, Tarver, Toney, Barrett, Judah...any time those guys want to beg for a fight, they do an "interview" with boxinqtalk and say whatever they think they need to say in hopes of getting a big money fight. Roy didn't just come out and say he's moving to heavyweight...he said he's willing to fight anyone from 168 up to heavyweight...basically, wherever the money is at and whoever is going to get him paid. I can't remember the exact quote nor would I even bother putting it up, but he definitely made it clear that he's looking for a fight that's going to get him paid. So why does he need to keep fighting? Simple...money! Will he actually move to heavyweight? Only if the money is right and judging from the fact that the only two heavyweights he mentioned were Valuev and Holyfield (particularly Holyfield as he talked about fans possibly being interested in that fight), he's not going to get the kind of money that will entice him to make the move. Same ol' song and dance from Roy.

Very well said. Why the heck does he need money? No amount of money can make me take the type of ass whoopings he gets. He has money so I guess greed clouds judgement. By the way, FightHype rules!
alaganza
Roy should just hang 'em up.
Big Slim Sweet
He needs money because he wants to continue supporting the lifestyle he's become accustomed to living, and he can't make the same kind of money anywhere else that he can make by fighting.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Dec 31 2008, 12:03 PM) [snapback]418848[/snapback]
He needs money because he wants to continue supporting the lifestyle he's become accustomed to living, and he can't make the same kind of money anywhere else that he can make by fighting.

him and floyd should team up and become the greatest producer/rapper combo boxing has ever created.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Dec 31 2008, 01:13 PM) [snapback]418852[/snapback]
him and floyd should team up and become the greatest producer/rapper combo boxing has ever created.

'I knocked out Sharmbe Mitchell with a body shot! Y'all musta forgot!!!'
D-MARV
I actually liked Roy as a commentator!
Method
What you meant to say was that you just read Roy begging for a big money fight

That's EXACTLY what it was.

I will tell you this, if motherfucking Joe Calzaghe is SERIOUSLY considering offering Jones a rematch, I will fucking shoot him. Would be the biggest bamboozle bullshit ever. The fight did less than 200K PPV buys, was the FURTHEST thing from competitive, yet, Mr "I don't do rematches" is looking to grant this joker Roy a rematch? How can this even be strong consideration. I'll be sick over this shit if it takes place.
Spyder
laugh.gif

Don't take it so personal Meth. Hopkins could still fight Dawson.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 31 2008, 12:50 PM) [snapback]418857[/snapback]
Hey. It's January 1st not April first.

oh yeah, it's already the first over there. Australian time sucks
Box in Hand
QUOTE(Method @ Dec 31 2008, 12:48 PM) [snapback]418866[/snapback]

I will tell you this, if motherfucking Joe Calzaghe is SERIOUSLY considering offering Jones a rematch, I will fucking shoot him. Would be the biggest bamboozle bullshit ever. The fight did less than 200K PPV buys, was the FURTHEST thing from competitive, yet, Mr "I don't do rematches" is looking to grant this joker Roy a rematch? How can this even be strong consideration. I'll be sick over this shit if it takes place.

This is why people say MMA is taking over boxing.
D-MARV
I wouldn't get so mad yet... Roy said this, not Joe!

Americans should stop wasting their time with Calzaghe... The only fight that needs to happen at light Heavy is Hopkins-Dawson. Simple as that!
JonnyBlaze
Roy will be put to sleep if he goes to heavyweight NOW..The only fight for all these light heavies we've been talking about moving up is James Toney..It'd be awesome to see and it'd be 2 older guys in a BOXING match..
buford54
QUOTE(Method @ Dec 31 2008, 01:48 PM) [snapback]418866[/snapback]

I honestly don't think Joe has any intention of giving Roy a rematch. As inflated as I think his status is, he can't possibly sink that low.
I think they came to Roy for the first fight because Roy was the "big fish." THey probably blew smoke up his skirt and told him he was the greatest, blah blah blah.
Roy and Joe kept talking about how great the other guy was and how easy it was to co-promote.
I think once Joe beat Roy rather easily, Roy was relegated to the little yapping dog Tyke from the Spike & Tyke cartoons: "We're still going to hang out, aren't we Joe? We're going to do a rematch, right Joe? Man, what a great time we're going to have when I come to Wales to fight you there!"

Joe and his people are now saying, "Sure thing Roy...we still like you." Meanwhile, they have realized that Roy wasn't the "name" they thought he was, and they didn't make much money on the fight.
Joe got what he wanted...Roy's name on his resume.
Lil-lightsout
It is getting more and more embarrassing admitting being a fan of this guy. I used to think he was smart and had his stuff together, by listening to his commentating and interviews, but man Roy is just delusional and just keeps ruining his legacy. Roy is just pathetic.
MarzB
Cal's a problem for anyone period. I know he's hated here and I don't care for him but his style definitely poses problems.

I think Jones inept corner played as much a part of his loss as Calzaghe. That said, if he wants to fight Heavyweight, one thing he doesn't have to worry about is those guys activity thats for sure. Size is overrated imo and with exception to Haye, maybe the Klichko's, I think at this stage he still beats the bulk of them especially that overrated Arreola.

If he has the "Jones" (no pun) in it to continue, I say why not?
thehype
QUOTE(MarzB @ Dec 31 2008, 09:01 PM) [snapback]418904[/snapback]
Cal's a problem for anyone period. I know he's hated here and I don't care for him but his style definitely poses problems.

I think Jones inept corner played as much a part of his loss as Calzaghe. That said, if he wants to fight Heavyweight, one thing he doesn't have to worry about is those guys activity thats for sure. Size is overrated imo and with exception to Haye, maybe the Klichko's, I think at this stage he still beats the bulk of them especially that overrated Arreola.

If he has the "Jones" (no pun) in it to continue, I say why not?

laugh.gif

The ineptitude of Roy's corner didn't really come into play until the 7th round when he got the cut...you can't really blame them for how shitty he looked prior to that cut. Roy was getting embarrassed...too busy covering up to even realize he could counter. Sure, Calzaghe is good...but daaaaayum...he ain't THAT good. Fvckin Sakio Bika put on a more competitive fight with Calzaghe than Roy ever did...I think that statement alone says A LOT about what Roy Jones Jr. has left to offer.

As for him moving to heavyweight, you're not really understanding what he's saying...he's not saying he wants to conquer the heavyweight division...he's saying he'd move to heavyweight for a big money fight. Arreola, Povetkin, Chagaev, Dimitrenko, Ibragimov...NONE of those guys are "big money fights" for Roy. Hell, Holyfield couldn't even get $1 million to fight Valuev and with Roy's overinflated opinion of his self worth, he's not going to be willing to move to heavyweight for less than $1 million since, as he once said, he's putting his life on the line to make such a move. So you wouldn't even see him fighting the type of guys that he might actually have a chance of beating...although in all honesty, I don't think there's too many guys in the top 10 that he actually could go 12 rounds with without getting thumped. Maybe Valuev...MAYBE...but Roy looked so horrible against Calzaghe, I don't even know if that's possible...especially considering that he took off all that muscle just to get back down to 168. Personally, I think the bulk of them would be the ones beating Roy while there may be 1 or 2 guys (maybe Holyfield and Valuev) that he might stand a chance against. The point is, if he wants the "big money fight" that he's looking for, he'd have to fight the Klitschkos, Haye or even Peter...and all those guys would decapitate him.
Box in Hand
Roy's corner called his father in the middle of the fight to get advice. You mean to tell me after all these years as a elite fighter Roy needed his corner to call daddy for advice. That is a sign that a fighter needs to sit his ass down in a rocking chair. Roy is gun shy and has been since the Johnson fight. He's shaky on both legs and his speed is decreasing even as I type. I want Hopkins vs. Calzaghe and that's it. I personally think Dawson would have fits with Calzaghe's weird style. Hopkins is the only on to tame Joe. Roy needs to go out to pasture.
EpTXCHAMP
If roy goes up to heavy he should only consider valuev beat him take the heavyweight championship and retire! He's already one of the greatest fighters of all time but I dnt want to see him go out with his last fight being against calz! so If he chose to fight valuev I wouldnt mind it

I hate to see the great ones in any sport go out on a sour note like jordan with the wizards, montana with the cheifs it just sucks!

If the fight were to take place in the U.S i'd go with roy by SD
outside the u.s valuev by UD lol
streetlion1
Roy needs to retire. He stands next to no chance against the top heavys except for that garbage ass Valuev.
MarzB
QUOTE(EpTXCHAMP @ Jan 1 2009, 06:40 PM) [snapback]418946[/snapback]
If roy goes up to heavy he should only consider valuev beat him take the heavyweight championship and retire! He's already one of the greatest fighters of all time but I dnt want to see him go out with his last fight being against calz! so If he chose to fight valuev I wouldnt mind it

I hate to see the great ones in any sport go out on a sour note like jordan with the wizards, montana with the cheifs it just sucks!

If the fight were to take place in the U.S i'd go with roy by SD
outside the u.s valuev by UD lol

I'm not a Jordan fan (Pistons fan 4 life) but Jordan's tenure with the Wizards was productive(He averaged 20 plus) and the same could be said for Montana and the Chiefs. A better analogy would be Moon on the CHiefs (where they sat him to rot), Nameth on the RAMS, Dorsett on the Broncos and Franco Harris on the Seahawks.

To Hype, if Roy is saying (I didn't read the interview, that dude kills me STILL charging for this crap,lol. What was it 3 paragraphs??) what you're saying then yes he's delusional.

Calzaghe is a piece of shit if he is truly considering giving ROY a rematch and not Hop.
Big Slim Sweet
Would there be any money in a Jones-Toney rematch at this point? That's a fight for Roy I'd still like to see.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Jan 2 2009, 12:08 PM) [snapback]419000[/snapback]
Would there be any money in a Jones-Toney rematch at this point? That's a fight for Roy I'd still like to see.

Sadly, I would watch it. Before Toney's fight with Fres, I would have picked him to KO Roy. But after seeing Toney struggle to throw any real punches at Fres, I have no clue how that fight would play out.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Jan 2 2009, 01:13 PM) [snapback]419003[/snapback]
Sadly, I would watch it. Before Toney's fight with Fres, I would have picked him to KO Roy. But after seeing Toney struggle to throw any real punches at Fres, I have no clue how that fight would play out.

Sums my feelings up pretty well too. I'd watch it and root like hell for Toney.
buford54
Roy needs to retire. Period.
He's losing his speed and he's terrified of getting knocked out.
He could rematch Prince what's-his-name and then retire on a high note.
He would not gain anything by going to HW, and nobody would pay to watch him rematch Ruiz or fight Holyfield.
He stayed around too long and, to a degree, his legacy is being revealed for what it is...he had a few solid wins, beat a poor HW champ, but mostly dominated low level opposition.
Romulus9
I think they should coax Naseem Hamed out of retirement, tell him to gain 40 pounds, and let Jones beat the hell out of him for a while.

If they can't get Jones to do it, let Hamed fight Klitschko.

With his absence, I'd forgotten how much I hated Hamed. Seriously.

On a sidenote, I'd order Jones-Toney II on pay-per-view, as sad as that sounds. I ordered the Trinidad fight because I hate Tito and knew Jones would hammer him. I doubt Toney could even catch this version of Jones to be honest. Toney's such a fatass, it's sad. He could have DOMINATED cruiser (see the Jirov fight) but he couldn't put the damn fork down.
D-MARV
Hamed wouldn't have to gain any weight. Im sure he's sitting around 200 pounds right now.

Jones Jr.-Toney would be boring but like others, I would still watch the fight.
JLUVBABY
jones should have stayed at heavyweight after beating ruiz...
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 2 2009, 05:39 PM) [snapback]419023[/snapback]
Hamed wouldn't have to gain any weight. Im sure he's sitting around 200 pounds right now.

LOL. You are probably right. I miss Hamed, why the heck did he stop fighting anyway? He could have still made some good money in boxing. I am now curious to what he is up to these days, I am serious too.
Romulus9
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Jan 2 2009, 07:09 PM) [snapback]419033[/snapback]
LOL. You are probably right. I miss Hamed, why the heck did he stop fighting anyway? He could have still made some good money in boxing. I am now curious to what he is up to these days, I am serious too.

I hope he's working at a Sheffield bowling alley as the night janitor from 1 til 6 in the morning.

I think I'm going to go watch my DVD of the Barrera fight. Good times.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Jan 2 2009, 06:51 PM) [snapback]419027[/snapback]
jones should have stayed at heavyweight after beating ruiz...

Really??

I think if he did he would of retired years ago..I still like seeing him in the ring even though he isn't what he used to be but if he would of stayed at heavyweight I seriously think something really bad would of happened to him..If he would of went to cruiserweight(which he was when he fought Ruiz),I think he would of done a lot for boxing..I think he would of brought the casual fans attention on a great cruiserweight scene like we still have..Toney/Jones would of been a really dope fight at cruiserweight..It would of been a lot better than their first fight IMO since they'd both be on the top instead of just Jones..Toney shouldn't of been fighting at such a low weight back then,especially after the Ali movie..I think Jones would of still beat him but it would of been a lot more entertaining and a lot more of what we'd want outta that match up..Anyway,Jones would of been a awesome cruiserweight back then and after winning the heavyweight belt,he could of got some more belts at cruiserweight to add to his already insane belt collection(past and present belts)..
King Eugene
As much as I like Jones and to watch him fight I really hope he just retires now. I think he should have stayed at Heavyweight after the Ruiz fight as well.

Being a commentator again would be good for him. Hell he has his own promotion company, why not push that more to get better fights out. Then again I think he would be a pretty good trainer as well.

But who am I...those are just my opinions
Col Reb
He should have fought Holyfield after Ruiz. A win there and he could have retired with some people calling him the GOAT.

Anyway, that's water under the bridge. I'd like to see him or Holyfield take out Valuev. After that, we could see a defense vs Toney, Hopkins (who could move up) or maybe even....Tyson (just joking)? Now I'm dreaming. My point is that there are marketable fights out there for nostalgic fans, kind of a minor league title while the Klits dominate the big boys.

One thing that I've been pondering: How did Rahman get a title shot ahead of Toney after their last fight?
mrwigi
OMFG... Somebody please stop this guy b4 he gets himself killed. Roy just go home man.... Just go home.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Jan 2 2009, 08:09 PM) [snapback]419051[/snapback]
Really??

I think if he did he would of retired years ago..I still like seeing him in the ring even though he isn't what he used to be but if he would of stayed at heavyweight I seriously think something really bad would of happened to him..If he would of went to cruiserweight(which he was when he fought Ruiz),I think he would of done a lot for boxing..I think he would of brought the casual fans attention on a great cruiserweight scene like we still have..Toney/Jones would of been a really dope fight at cruiserweight..It would of been a lot better than their first fight IMO since they'd both be on the top instead of just Jones..Toney shouldn't of been fighting at such a low weight back then,especially after the Ali movie..I think Jones would of still beat him but it would of been a lot more entertaining and a lot more of what we'd want outta that match up..Anyway,Jones would of been a awesome cruiserweight back then and after winning the heavyweight belt,he could of got some more belts at cruiserweight to add to his already insane belt collection(past and present belts)..

i see it like this johnny blaze... when roy moved up to heavyweight and beat ruiz he had the skill level and he still had the reflexes to win key fights at that division... those key fights are tyson and holyfield... you can forget toney.. roy is a class or two above toney he showed that back in the day and it would have been true had jones stayed at heavyweight... jones hurt himself moving back down to light heavyweight... you may not agree but i dont think he was ever even close to the same fighter after shedding all that muscle to go back down in weight... he should have made his money and got out the game.. he would have beaten tyson and more than likely holyfield too... he could have held on to that belt and made at least a few defences before cashing out and most of those fights would have been events... that would have been better than him cutting weight and losing the way he did.. or has since the move back down... and he would have made a lot more money...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Col Reb @ Jan 3 2009, 01:01 AM) [snapback]419071[/snapback]
He should have fought Holyfield after Ruiz. A win there and he could have retired with some people calling him the GOAT.

Anyway, that's water under the bridge. I'd like to see him or Holyfield take out Valuev. After that, we could see a defense vs Toney, Hopkins (who could move up) or maybe even....Tyson (just joking)? Now I'm dreaming. My point is that there are marketable fights out there for nostalgic fans, kind of a minor league title while the Klits dominate the big boys.

One thing that I've been pondering: How did Rahman get a title shot ahead of Toney after their last fight?

col reb... they where triing to make a roy jones mike tyson fight after the ruiz fight... roy makes a lot more money fighting tyson than he does fighting holyfield... he should have taken that fight.. he would have won... and that would have been the biggest grossing fight of all time that record would probably still stand right now today... that would have been a HUGE fight.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(mrwigi @ Jan 3 2009, 08:40 AM) [snapback]419078[/snapback]
OMFG... Somebody please stop this guy b4 he gets himself killed. Roy just go home man.... Just go home.

i agree... its time now for jones to pack it in and call it a day...
Big Slim Sweet
I agree Roy should have stayed at heavyweight after the Ruiz fight and fought Holyfield and/or Tyson. I don't think he would have beaten either man but no one would have held it against him legacy-wise the way they do Tarver and Johnson, and the fights would have been absolutely HUGE money makers.

I also think Toney would have beat Roy had they fought at heavyweight (he carried the weight much better initially IMO), and there was a time there after the Holyfield KO when a Jones-Toney rematch could have been big too.

Either way Roy erred dropping back down. It was a typical move on his part - seeking out the path of seemingly least resistance - and it would up blowing the fuck up right in his face.

JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Jan 3 2009, 01:33 PM) [snapback]419083[/snapback]
i see it like this johnny blaze... when roy moved up to heavyweight and beat ruiz he had the skill level and he still had the reflexes to win key fights at that division... those key fights are tyson and holyfield... you can forget toney.. roy is a class or two above toney he showed that back in the day and it would have been true had jones stayed at heavyweight... jones hurt himself moving back down to light heavyweight... you may not agree but i dont think he was ever even close to the same fighter after shedding all that muscle to go back down in weight... he should have made his money and got out the game.. he would have beaten tyson and more than likely holyfield too... he could have held on to that belt and made at least a few defences before cashing out and most of those fights would have been events... that would have been better than him cutting weight and losing the way he did.. or has since the move back down... and he would have made a lot more money...

I think Tyson would of KO'd him extremely bad..One shot from Tarver put him to sleep..Yeah Tyson sucked real bad after 3-4 rounds but in those 3-4 rounds I don't think Roy would of survived..The muscle loss did effect him really bad though when he moved back down..Roy would only be able to get decisions at heavyweight since I doubt he would of been able to KO anyone..Roy would of been a better cruiserweight than heavyweight..He was 193 lbs in the Ruiz fight so he was more of a cruiser than heavy anyway..
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Jan 4 2009, 07:22 PM) [snapback]419188[/snapback]
I think Tyson would of KO'd him extremely bad..One shot from Tarver put him to sleep..Yeah Tyson sucked real bad after 3-4 rounds but in those 3-4 rounds I don't think Roy would of survived.

Tyson in 2003 would have splattered Roy in a round or two, no question. Roy never would have made it to Mike's tiring point.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Jan 4 2009, 07:19 PM) [snapback]419191[/snapback]
Tyson in 2003 would have splattered Roy in a round or two, no question. Roy never would have made it to Mike's tiring point.

I disagree! Tyson was shot tremendously by 2003. Roy would have survived and cruised to a UD. Even a Roy Jones-Holyfield fight would have been competitive at that time. In Fact, I would have favored RJJ. But In their primes... Tyson and Evander would have beaten Roy.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 4 2009, 08:37 PM) [snapback]419193[/snapback]
I disagree! Tyson was shot tremendously by 2003. Roy would have survived and cruised to a UD. Even a Roy Jones-Holyfield fight would have been competitive at that time. In Fact, I would have favored RJJ. But In their primes... Tyson and Evander would have beaten Roy.

Beaten is a understatement..
D-MARV
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Jan 4 2009, 08:16 PM) [snapback]419194[/snapback]
Beaten is a understatement..

I dont think Evander would dominate Roy Jones in their respective primes! I think he would win but not dominate.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 4 2009, 10:06 PM) [snapback]419196[/snapback]
I dont think Evander would dominate Roy Jones in their respective primes! I think he would win but not dominate.

Roy wouldn't go the distance with Holy,no way..Yet,we really can't talk prime for prime unless we are using the heavyweight Jones as the prime Roy..If it was that Roy against a cruiserweight Holy or heavyweight,I really don't see him taking Holy's punch..Holy was a machine back then and would make sure to get in big big shots..How would Tyson dominate Roy and not Holy??Holy is 6'2 and a half,Tyson is 5'9 at most..Tyson would be dominated by Holy in any parts of their careers and KO'd everytime..
D-MARV
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Jan 4 2009, 09:27 PM) [snapback]419197[/snapback]
Roy wouldn't go the distance with Holy,no way..Yet,we really can't talk prime for prime unless we are using the heavyweight Jones as the prime Roy..If it was that Roy against a cruiserweight Holy or heavyweight,I really don't see him taking Holy's punch..Holy was a machine back then and would make sure to get in big big shots..How would Tyson dominate Roy and not Holy??Holy is 6'2 and a half,Tyson is 5'9 at most..Tyson would be dominated by Holy in any parts of their careers and KO'd everytime..

Come on Jonny, you know better than that. "Styles make fights". Tyson dominated Spinks, yet, I think Spinks would give Holy a helluva fight and possibly beat Holy. Tyson dominated Holmes and Holmes was pretty competivtive against Holyfield. Thats not to say that tyson would beat Holyfield, I'm just defending my logic. Roy is competitive against Holy but likely blown away by a prime Tyson.
BigG
Holyfield beats Tyson because of how mentally tough he was and he had the conditioning, chin, overall good skills (and clinching). Holyfield vs. 80's Tyson give me Holyfield by decision or late TKO.

I agree with Dmarv about Spinks-Holyfield, Spinks liked to move aot and throw jabs, combinations..he could outpoint Holyfield.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 5 2009, 07:17 AM) [snapback]419204[/snapback]
Come on Jonny, you know better than that. "Styles make fights". Tyson dominated Spinks, yet, I think Spinks would give Holy a helluva fight and possibly beat Holy. Tyson dominated Holmes and Holmes was pretty competivtive against Holyfield. Thats not to say that tyson would beat Holyfield, I'm just defending my logic. Roy is competitive against Holy but likely blown away by a prime Tyson.

Sounds to me like you're saying that everyone would have a problem with Tyson besides Holy..Buster Douglas KO'd him in his prime then Holy KO'd him in 3 rounds the very next fight for Douglas..I really hope you don't say Douglas was outta shape either cause it had nothing to do with what kinda shape he was in,Holy had been thinking about that counter shot months before they got in the ring together..It was actually one of my favorite one punch KO's in Holy's career..I really liked the Rodrigues one shot KO too..I remember after Rodrigues was down he was out cold and his left arm was doin really weird things before it touched the ground..hahaha..You remember that fight??I'll try to find a clip if ya haven't just cause of how funny it was..

Styles do make fights,no doubt..I was just talking about that on another thread(the one about Andre Arlovski becoming a boxer)..I think Spinks/Holy would of been a lot more competitive than the Tyson fight with Spinks..I don't think Spinks would beat Holy though..Holy was fast on his feet too and had a lot of handspeed for a heavyweight,especially when he first entered the heavyweight division..
buford54
Bottom line is that Roy took the 1 fight at HW that he knew he could win, based on styles. He agreed with the logic that 20 years from now, nobody will remember how good/bad a champ John Ruiz was.
He then dropped a few names, but ran back to his LH kindom without fight any of them.
I think Roy could have beaten Holy if he stayed at HW, because Holy was not fighting well then (evidenced by JT stopping him shortly after Roy's visit to HW).

That's the sum of the majority of Roy's career. He took easy fights for as much money as he could get.
His trip to HW was a stunt. He knows he's not seen as invincible anymore since he's lost 4 of his last 7 fights, and he doesn't sell PPV very well.
His last gimmick to make money would be to try to head north again.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.