Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Donaire vs Montiel
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
AussieLad
I'm very much interested in the winner of this fight, as they will most likely face the winner of Darchinyan vs Arce.

I havent really seen that much of Donaire, aside from his KO over Darchinyan. Nonitoe is fast and has power, hence the KO, but the version of Vic he was fighting that night was way way overconfident. Darchinyan came in thinking he could blow Donaire out like he did with his brother, no regard for defence or setting up his shots, and the swelled head proved to be an easy target to be deflated. Donaire doesnt seem to have capitalized on his win, but Montiel is a big fight against a dangerous opponent. I am leaning towards montiel given that he has power, skill, and has generally fought at a higher level against better opposition.

I wouldnt mind Donaire winning, as it sets up a rematch for redemption for vic who obviously wont be taking donaire lightly and will come in highly motivated by revenge. Vic needs to rematch Donaire IMO and this would be perfect oppurtunity with all the belts at stake, but i think it will be Montiel that he ends up facing

Thoughts?
stateofthegame
I like Nonito, but honestly his fight with Vic has been his most impressive to me. His other fights it seems he has had a few problems, but he does win. I would take Montiel over him just because I feel Montiel is the better fighter in all areas.
JonnyBlaze
This will be a really interesting and entertaining fight to see..I'd go with Montiel though..Donaire is still improving but Montiel is on top of his game..This isn't a huge move up in weight but is a move up either way..Donaire will have 2 inches in height and a slight reach advantage..It'll be a great fight..
kidbazooka1
I think it's a toss but I'll be rooting for Nonito.
Mean Mister Mustard
Montiel is hot and cold. I'm going with Donaire on this one.
D-MARV
Im going with Donaire on this one. It's going to be a good fight either way.
Devo
dirol.gif ... Its a pick'em, odds makers nightmare ... Cochulito went 10 w/ El Topo down Mexico way in November & previously went the distance w/ Melendez & Santos ...shows power against weaker opposition (Maldonato & Castillo) ...lost to Gonzo unsure.gif The Flash showed power in 5 of his last 6, I like the way he timed Vic "The Mouth" ...but that was 18 months ago ...he needs Freddie . I'm married to a Filipina so I will play it safe & put my pesos on the Flash ...Mabuhay ! dirol.gif
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Devo @ Jan 4 2009, 04:32 PM) [snapback]419184[/snapback]
dirol.gif ... Its a pick'em, odds makers nightmare ... Cochulito went 10 w/ El Topo down Mexico way in November & previously went the distance w/ Melendez & Santos ...shows power against weaker opposition (Maldonato & Castillo) ...lost to Gonzo unsure.gif The Flash showed power in 5 of his last 6, I like the way he timed Vic "The Mouth" ...but that was 18 months ago ...he needs Freddie . I'm married to a Filipina so I will play it safe & put my pesos on the Flash ...Mabuhay ! dirol.gif

Im Mexican and my wifes filipina so im stuck in the middle.
mexi-cutioner
I'm going with Flash, but i'm definitely excited for this fight!!!!!!! If only it could be televised in Canada....sad.gif
AussieLad
Apparently Montiel cant make the weight and the fight is off. Donaire will fight a guy named Jose Lopez for the title. Dont know anything about this other guy
Devo
QUOTE(AussieLad @ Jan 8 2009, 08:37 AM) [snapback]419544[/snapback]
Apparently Montiel cant make the weight and the fight is off. Donaire will fight a guy named Jose Lopez for the title. Dont know anything about this other guy
dirol.gif ...Sad but true, its 36 yr. old Jose "Carita" Lopez (Puerto Rico) 38-7, 32 KO's, ironically he lost a 12 rd. UD to Montiel in 2001 ...originally scheduled to fight Thailands' Pramuansak "Machine Gun" Posuwan (45-1, 32 KO's) on the 7th, ...apparently Montiel wants Erik Morel who wants Geronimo "The Fearless Filipino" Penalosa who wants Juan Manuel "Juanma" Lopez ...ironically again, Geronimo KO'd Jhonny Gonzalez in 7 in '07 & in my opinion wants no part of "Little Hands of Steel" Morel (I hope my Filipina wife dosen't read this, ...Penalosa fan) .... The Flash will dominate the 36yr. old "Carita" Lopez . dirol.gif P.S.- also, I don't think Montiel wanted the fight w/ Donaire ...if you look at his record you can see he has been coddled ... Look for The Filipino Flash vs. The Raging Mouth this summer ....booyah-rematch !
kidbazooka1
I think Nonito is a dangerouse fight for anyone from 118lb and below. But I doubt Montiel did not want to fight him especially if he actaully moves up in weight like it's been said he just can't make the weight plaine and simple he's been at that weight for a long time sh*t he just out grew it.
D-MARV
QUOTE(AussieLad @ Jan 8 2009, 07:37 AM) [snapback]419544[/snapback]

Yep. I heard that too. And JuanMa-Penalosa may be replacing them.
AussieLad
I'm happy that this should set up a rematch between donaire and vic, barring an upset in either guys upcoming fights. It really needs to happen. Either vic will ge his revenge, or lose everything. Either way i would say its his last fight at this weight and he will make another move up pursuing titles in another division
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 8 2009, 05:41 PM) [snapback]419579[/snapback]
Yep. I heard that too. And JuanMa-Penalosa may be replacing them.

JuanMa would destory Penalosa with ease. Stops him within 5 brutal rds.
BigG
Montiel's last fight also wasn't a title fight for some reason? Maybe because he failed to make weight? I've read he's been having weight problems for a while now.

Penalosa-JuanMa will be a great fight. Anyone thinking JuanMa will destroy Penalosa in 5 rounds or less is crazy. Gerry is a tough guy and a good fighter defensively and hasn't been close to getting KO'd.

I think JuanMa should beat him though.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jan 9 2009, 03:30 AM) [snapback]419617[/snapback]
Montiel's last fight also wasn't a title fight for some reason? Maybe because he failed to make weight? I've read he's been having weight problems for a while now.

Penalosa-JuanMa will be a great fight. Anyone thinking JuanMa will destroy Penalosa in 5 rounds or less is crazy. Gerry is a tough guy and a good fighter defensively and hasn't been close to getting KO'd.

I think JuanMa should beat him though.

Deleon also had a tough chin and had never been down before true Gerry is much better defensively but Lopez is an extremly accurate puncher when he hits he hurts you. Gerry won't make it past 5. This is just my opinion though.
Devo
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Jan 9 2009, 12:52 PM) [snapback]419631[/snapback]
Deleon also had a tough chin and had never been down before true Gerry is much better defensively but Lopez is an extremly accurate puncher when he hits he hurts you. Gerry won't make it past 5. This is just my opinion though.

Puerto Rico’s Jose ‘Carita’ Lopez (38-7-2, 32 KOs) and Thailand’s Pramuansak Posuwan (45-1-1, 24 KOs) both successfully made the 30 day weight limit requirement for their WBO iterim super flyweight title fight. Lopez weighed in at 122 pounds and Pramuansak weighed in at 124 pounds. The minimum 30 day pre-fight weight limit was 132.25 pounds. The bout will take place February 7th at the Coliseo Ruben Rodriguez in Bayamon, Puerto Rico. PR Best boxing (Ivan & Peter Rivera) will promote the event.

January 9th, 2009 ...Fightnews.com dirol.gif
Devo
QUOTE(AussieLad @ Jan 8 2009, 08:37 AM) [snapback]419544[/snapback]

The WBO has scheduled a February 5 purse bid for a WBO bantamweight title clash between champion Fernando Montiel and challlenger Eric Morel. The minimum acceptable bid is $100,000 Fightnews.com 01/29/09
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.