Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who's style do you like most between these guys?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
JonnyBlaze
I'm wondering who's style you all like the most between these 4..Not much is happening on here lately so I decided to bring this topic..All 4 are very different and all very unique..I was going to add James Toney but it seems like everyone on here says he is their favorite style on here..

You can also rank them in order too..I'd really wanna see how ya guys would rank em..If you rank them,you can add James Toney in the mix too..I know a lot of guys got left out but I wanted to give ya guys fewer options..
King Eugene
I love Evander's inside game!
D-MARV
Willie Pep... Top 5 dead or Alive!
JonnyBlaze
Holy's inside game is amazing..Holy has ever punch a boxer could want except for maybe a left uppercut(the rarest punch he'd throw)..

Yet,you all will be surprised to know that the only vote so far for Archie Moore is mine..Holy picked up some tips from Archie's game just like Foreman and Gene Fullmer with their defensive style..The cross armed defense was developed by Archie..Archie,Holy,and SRR are all alike because they would always be the smaller guy beating or KOing bigger guys..Archie would sometimes be 20 lbs smaller than his opponent and Holy sometimes was 30 lbs or more smaller than his opponent(recently basically 100 lbs)..

I had to give it to Archie..It's a really tough call..All 4 of these guys did something for boxing that will always be remembered..Hell,Ali's whole style is based off of Sugar Ray Robinson..Guys like Floyd Mayweather and defensive wizards obviously have watched some Willie Pep in their day and probably would admit to picking up moves from watching him..The same could be said for Archie with his defense but with different guys..
BigG
Sugar Ray, Archie Moore, or Willie Pep.

Scratch Evander off the list IMO
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Jan 6 2009, 06:42 PM) [snapback]419347[/snapback]
I'm wondering who's style you all like the most between these 4..Not much is happening on here lately so I decided to bring this topic..All 4 are very different and all very unique..I was going to add James Toney but it seems like everyone on here says he is their favorite style on here..

You can also rank them in order too..I'd really wanna see how ya guys would rank em..If you rank them,you can add James Toney in the mix too..I know a lot of guys got left out but I wanted to give ya guys fewer options..

this list was easy for me.. sugar ray robinson... in his prime he was everything a fighter should be... a prototype for the perfect fighter... He could have and would have been champ in any era of the game...

Highlights of The Original Sugar Ray

Muhamed Ali On Sugar Ray Robinson
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Jan 7 2009, 03:52 AM) [snapback]419376[/snapback]
this list was easy for me.. sugar ray robinson... in his prime he was everything a fighter should be... a prototype for the perfect fighter... He could have and would have been champ in any era of the game...

Highlights of The Original Sugar Ray

Muhamed Ali On Sugar Ray Robinson

This is easy for me too, Robinson.

It's funny I grew up becoming a boxing fan through Tyson (I was maybe 12 at the time). And of course Tyson used to name check all the old guys.

Then I started watching a lot more boxing, reading a lot more magazines, books etc and all the way through people are talking about Ray Robinson as the best ever, untouchable, skills from another planet etc and I was always thinking 'sure but I bet he's not as good as they all remember.'

And then I saw footage of him for the first time on TV and I remember thinking fuck me he's 1000x better than everyone else said he was.

Speed kills and Robinson was a fucking turbo charged Ferrari.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(the ollie reed fan club @ Jan 7 2009, 03:42 AM) [snapback]419378[/snapback]

It's funny I grew up becoming a boxing fan through Tyson (I was maybe 12 at the time). And of course Tyson used to name check all the old guys.

Then I started watching a lot more boxing, reading a lot more magazines, books etc and all the way through people are talking about Ray Robinson as the best ever, untouchable, skills from another planet etc and I was always thinking 'sure but I bet he's not as good as they all remember.'

And then I saw footage of him for the first time on TV and I remember thinking fuck me he's 1000x better than everyone else said he was.

He had everything... defense, speed, punching power, ring generalship.. just every attribute a fighter could possibly have and he made some great fighters very ordinary... check out his 5th and 6th fights the level of his opponents...

http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human...er&pageID=1
BigG
QUOTE(the ollie reed fan club @ Jan 7 2009, 09:42 AM) [snapback]419378[/snapback]

SRR is without a doubt, THE GOAT. Fast, really hard hitting, great skill, great jab, combo's, chin, tough...over 200 freakin fights.
D-MARV
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jan 7 2009, 02:00 AM) [snapback]419370[/snapback]
Sugar Ray, Archie Moore, or Willie Pep.

Scratch Evander off the list IMO

Agreed.

Holyfield was a warrior but his style wasn't as great as the others. He was a great fighter with great physical attributes.
JonnyBlaze
Guys remember this isn't about who ya liked the most cause if it was like that I'd say SRR..I'm talking about the style in which they fight offensively and defensively..

Archie Moore had more fights and KO's than SRR..Archie has the KO record in boxing..

No one is more complete of a boxer than SRR though..He had EVERYTHING you could want as a boxer and some..Joey Maxim said he thought Archie was a better fighter than SRR,but he fought a SRR who got heat stroke and passed out in the ring after the ref. had to be replaced from the intense 104 degrees..Maxim was a real tough guy..
streetlion1
Gimme Holyfeild all day. his inside fighting was great with the chin to match!
JonnyBlaze
I think it's a real tough choice between these 4..They all have done so much for boxing style wise and all around..I hope to get some more votes on this..
Bateador
I love Robinson's style

His execution speed was out of this world
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Bateador @ Jan 15 2009, 01:03 AM) [snapback]420375[/snapback]
I love Robinson's style

His execution speed was out of this world

For sure..If there was no Sugar Ray Robinson,who knows what Ali might of been like in the ring..Ali even admitted that if Sugar Ray Robinson was a heavyweight,he'd be the best heavyweight ever..
JonnyBlaze
I'm curious about who voted for Willie Pep and the other vote for Archie..
STEVENSKI
I voted for SRR purely because he could do everything & everything he did was pleasing to the eye.

He could slug it out inside or outside.
He could jab & move throwing pinpoint combinations with devestating effect.
His lead left hook was poetry in motion.

There is not a thing I would change with him as he was the master of so many styles. It is quite unfair really that he was so good at so many things.

The style I find most exciting is a young Jack Dempsey who had legit TNT in his hands & was EXPLOSIVE. Underrated boxing skill IMO but had a ability to slip a punch & absolutely cane you in return.

As a fan of older guys I really admire guys like Gene Tunney who had a fantastic orthadox style & all the gifts a fighter would want.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Jan 15 2009, 01:42 AM) [snapback]420381[/snapback]
I voted for SRR purely because he could do everything & everything he did was pleasing to the eye.

He could slug it out inside or outside.
He could jab & move throwing pinpoint combinations with devestating effect.
His lead left hook was poetry in motion.

There is not a thing I would change with him as he was the master of so many styles. It is quite unfair really that he was so good at so many things.
The style I find most exciting is a young Jack Dempsey who had legit TNT in his hands & was EXPLOSIVE. Underrated boxing skill IMO but had a ability to slip a punch & absolutely cane you in return.

As a fan of older guys I really admire guys like Gene Tunney who had a fantastic orthadox style & all the gifts a fighter would want.

Very true and I like the analogy a lot..I didn't think ya had it in ya..It's a dope line and I see boxing as something like that too..Poetry,a dance and art are all ways I'd describe boxing..

Dempsey is one of the hardest punchers P4P ever I think..I also agree with you that Dempsey's boxing ability is underrated..He had a unique and distinctive style I think..Tunney is a master boxer for sure..These 2 are both 2 of my all time favorites..Maybe not in my top 3(that you all should know by now),but they are high on the list..
D-MARV
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Jan 15 2009, 12:08 AM) [snapback]420378[/snapback]
I'm curious about who voted for Willie Pep and the other vote for Archie..

I voted for Willie Pep.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 15 2009, 07:51 AM) [snapback]420402[/snapback]
I voted for Willie Pep.

Atta boy..Pep def. needed some props as the best style since all the guys I listed are all time greats..Their styles make em unique and it would of been a shame had no one voted for Pep..I knew SRR would win the poll but was hoping people picked others too..
STEVENSKI
Willie Pep's defense maked PBF's fabled "shoulder roll" look ridiculous. Like in football you are always going to score points in boxing but without good defense you are wide open.
BigG
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Jan 15 2009, 10:04 PM) [snapback]420460[/snapback]
Willie Pep's defense maked PBF's fabled "shoulder roll" look ridiculous. Like in football you are always going to score points in boxing but without good defense you are wide open.

I don't know about that though...Floyd's defense is beautiful to watch.

Pep and SRR from the list.

I know Holyfield is a Super-Hero to you Johnny (well he is a SuperHero) but he wasn't as good as Pep or SRR.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jan 16 2009, 02:03 PM) [snapback]420581[/snapback]

Pep and SRR from the list.

I know Holyfield is a Super-Hero to you Johnny (well he is a SuperHero) but he wasn't as good as Pep or SRR.

P4P,I'll have to agree..Ya know what's crazy though??Archie Moore actually prepared Sandy Saddler for Pep..Archie was the one who really taught Saddler how to punch along with other things..It's crazy to think about IMO..Archie and Saddler had always been real good friends and as ya all know,helped train Foreman..
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jan 16 2009, 06:03 PM) [snapback]420581[/snapback]

It is ugly just like Floyd. Holding, hitting & lacing form PBF's defense more than his fabled shoulder roll & parry.
kidbazooka1
Thats an easy question SRR. He was the total package nuff said.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.