Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gus Johnson to Replace Steve Albert on Showtime Championship Boxing
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
According to Fightnews:

http://www.fightnews.com/?p=592

What do you think of the change?

Jack
thisneverworks
Rise and Fire! I can't see how anybody could be against a guy like Johnson coming to boxing. Over the top? Yep. But he has me laughing throughout the NCAA tournament.

I was not a big fan of Steve Albert anyway. His voice is unbearable (way too "nasal" for my taste).
Spyder
Mean Mister Mustard
For a while there I had a mental fuck up and thought you meant Al Bernstein, I would have been pissed if he was replaced. I don't know who Gus is. Can anyone tell me about him?
KookedKrack
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 7 2009, 07:43 PM) [snapback]419456[/snapback]
I don't even know what the hell you guys are talking about either.

the dude that announces on showtime with the hair piece has been replaced
thisneverworks
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jan 7 2009, 07:27 PM) [snapback]419455[/snapback]
For a while there I had a mental fuck up and thought you meant Al Bernstein, I would have been pissed if he was replaced. I don't know who Gus is. Can anyone tell me about him?

He's a really excitable announcer, who I think if he has the same routine for boxing will be pretty enjoyable to listen to, unless he just becomes an over excitable Showtime homer announcer. Could go either way I guess.
KookedKrack
i don't know ......i like the current announcers they usually call it how it is ..... hope this dude isn't a cheerleader type of announcer
D-MARV
THIS IS GREAT... If you guys follow College Basketball in the U.S, then you should know who Gus JOhnson is.
Spyder
Watch the clip I posted...it'll give you an idea about Gus.
Snoop
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jan 8 2009, 01:27 AM) [snapback]419455[/snapback]

Agreed. Al Bernstein is a genius when it comes to breaking down a fight. Steve Albert is replaceable.
Chi-Town
Yea...I've never talked to any boxing fan that didn't like Al Bernstein. I think that the fact that his boxing experience is so limited makes him a good announcer/analyst. He has just enough experience to really know what he's talking about, but at the same time doesn't project himself to be a know-it-all.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Spyder @ Jan 7 2009, 10:04 PM) [snapback]419491[/snapback]
Watch the clip I posted...it'll give you an idea about Gus.

i had never heard of gus johnson but from listening to the clip he sounds like he brings a lot of enthusiasm to his broadcast which is cool.. boxing is missing that ... i look forward to listening to his first broadcast....
kidbazooka1
Steve Albert may not have been the best announcer but he was the voice of showtime boxing. Does this Johnson f*cker know anything about boxing anyway.
kidbazooka1
double post
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.