Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Daniel Santos vs Sergio Medina, thoughts?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
frankypc
Hi there, just read this morning in www.elnuevodia.com about an offer made to Santos about fighting Sergio Martinez in February 14, seems that HBO has already accepted so now its up to santos to accept.

Thoughts?

Holy shit, fixed, should have been Sergio MARTINEZ
Mean Mister Mustard
This is provided Martinez wins his fight with Green correct? I think it would be a good fight. Santos is underrated, he gave Margarito fits in winning a close fight back in 04, he made Campos quit, beat up Rivera and knocked out undefeated Joachim Alcine who is a good fighter. He also didn't lay down against Sergiy Dzinziruk and from what I read Dzinziruk is good.

I like the 154 pound division. It might not feature any box office attractions but it is a solid class featuring plenty of accomplished boxers. Santos, P.Williams, Spinks, Angulo, Mayorga, Kirkland, Forrest, Martinez, Mora, Dzinziruk and Alcine is still there.
frankypc
espn says green has kidney stones and that his fight with martinez was scrapped. i think 154 looks fun if more matches like this could happen sooner.

Santos turned it down for Jan 17 but was interested in a later date so maybe the fight will happen Feb 14 if everything comes through.
thehype
The fight's a done deal...they moved it to the Feb. 14th card and made it a tripleheader featuring Campell vs. Funeka and Mayorga vs. Angulo.

SANTOS DEFENDS TITLE AGAINST MARTINEZ ON FEB. 14TH HBO TRIPLEHEADER

Daniel Santos will make his first defense of the World Boxing Association super welterweight championship he won in July when he faces interim World Boxing Council super welterweight champion Sergio "Maravilla" Martinez on Feb. 14. The addition of the Santos-Martinez world championship to the previously announced HBO-televised card promoted by Don King Productions makes for a smashing tripleheader. The event already features World Boxing Organization and International Boxing Federation lightweight champion Nate "Galaxxy Warrior" Campbell (32-5-1, 25 KOs) opposing his IBF No. 1-Ranked mandatory challenger Ali "Rush Hour" Funeka as well as another intriguing 154-pound pairing of former three-time world champion Ricardo "El Matador" Mayorga (28-7-1, 22 KOs) and undefeated WBC No. 3-ranked Alfredo "Perro" Angulo squaring off in a World Boxing Council elimination bout to determine the No. 1 ranking and become mandatory challenger.

read more

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content4101.html

Lil-lightsout
Should be a pretty good card. It is really nice HBO is showing a triple header for free.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Jan 9 2009, 06:12 PM) [snapback]419666[/snapback]
Should be a pretty good card. It is really nice HBO is showing a triple header for free.

hbo used to show triple headers when they where actually into promoting the growth of the sport... the old night of the heavyweight cards they used to put on that showcased the young lions of the division... those where the days...
hardhead
I wonder where this fight is going to take place??(crossing fingers for it to be on the Coast... wink.gif )
D-MARV
I'm leaning towards Santos.
Blayde
Thats an awesome fight. I have no idea whos gonna win this, but the winner will have made a statement at 154. Greene would possibly have lost every round I believe, but Santos is a great opponent. Definitely going to be a great card.

What I dont like about it is that the WBC interim title will no longer exist, so Forrest wont be forced to fight the winner. I dont see too many other options for Forrest, though, and HBO will definitely talk about the winner fighting Forrest.
MarzB
HBO is finally acting like they have brains. VERY VERY VERY good test for Martinez. I love Daniel Santos

Great card, now if they could be smart and market this through mainstream media.
Big Slim Sweet
Santos is one of the most underrated fighters on this board for sure but I'm picking with the hand speed of Sergio to help him pull out the air tight decision. Really looks like a 50-50 fight. A lot depends on how well Sergio can handle Santos' power cause the guy can crack pretty good.
JLUVBABY
i think the fight is off.. santos withdraws...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.