Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Most recognized fighters of all time!
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
JaRaNDa
I have been meaning to make this post for a very long time and never got around to it!
When I say the most 'recognized' fighter(s) I don't mean the greatest of all time. who would beat who! I don't mean whos most respected. I'm not evan talking about most 'recognized' amongst the boxing world!

If you were to walk around the streets and approach anybody and everybody and were to ask them "name as many boxers as you can?" Which 10 fighters (all time) would be mentioned the most? heres what I think

1. Muhammed Ali
2. Mike Tyson
3. Oscar De La Hoya
4. George Foreman
5. 'Sugar' Ray Leonard
6. Rocky Marciano
7. Evander Holyfield
8. Felix Trinidad
9. Lennox Lewis
10. Naseem Hamed

I know I may be missing some big fighters! (lets keep Rocky Balboa and Butter Bean out of this lol)
What do you guys think?

rusty_trombone
QUOTE(JaRaNDa @ Jan 10 2009, 09:24 PM) [snapback]419749[/snapback]
I have been meaning to make this post for a very long time and never got around to it!
When I say the most 'recognized' fighter(s) I don't mean the greatest of all time. who would beat who! I don't mean whos most respected. I'm not evan talking about most 'recognized' amongst the boxing world!

If you were to walk around the streets and approach anybody and everybody and were to ask them "name as many boxers as you can?" Which 10 fighters (all time) would be mentioned the most? heres what I think

1. Muhammed Ali
2. Mike Tyson
3. Oscar De La Hoya
4. George Foreman
5. 'Sugar' Ray Leonard
6. Rocky Marciano
7. Evander Holyfield
8. Felix Trinidad
9. Lennox Lewis
10. Naseem Hamed

I know I may be missing some big fighters! (lets keep Rocky Balboa and Butter Bean out of this lol)
What do you guys think?

I think Joe Louis is more recognized than Lewis, Hamed and probably Trinidad.
JD
Sugar Ray Robinson, Joe Frazier, Joe Louis, Roberto Duran, Jack Dempsey, Jack Johnson, Julio Cesar Chavez, Sonny Liston...

I am sure these names would come up quite frequently as well.
D-MARV
In Today's generation...

1. Mike Tyson
2. Muhammad Ali
3. Oscar De La Hoya

The other 7 (In no Order)
George Foreman
Sugar Ray Leonard
Felix Trinidad
Prince Naseem Hamed
Julio Cesar Chavez
Thomas "The Hitman" Hearns
Roberto Duran

Honorable Mention:
Joe Louis
Rocky Marciano
Evander Holyfield
Joe Frazier
Lennox Lewis
Gatti/Ward... (people probably couldn't pick them out of a crowd but they heard about their trilogy.)
Larry Holmes

Snoop
I think it would depend on what community since the US has various ethnic communities. I think JD's use about Julio Cesar Chavez is a prime example of that. Almost every Mexican will know who he is, but most of the people I hang around (black and Asian), don't know what the fuck I'm talking about.

Age also makes a difference. A lot of new, younger boxing fans will no nothing about Tommy Hearns, Ray Leonard or even Sugar Ray Robinson, but they can tell you that they all heard about a small Filipino guy kicking the shit out of De La Hoya.

In terms of "general audience", I would only say Muhammad Ali and Mike Tyson just because they had so much coverage and controversy outside the ring
Mean Mister Mustard
Yeah Ali and Tyson are the main ones.

Funny thing, I was wathicng an IGN video about Fight Night Round 4 and as you well know, Ray Leonard is helping them make the game as relistic as possible. When he was being interviewed the captions on the screen said "Sugar Ray Leonard former light welterweight champion of the world". The man has been working with them for a while now and they can't even get his credentials right.
kidbazooka1
Top 3

Ali
Tyson
Delahoya

Duran
Leonard
Holyfield
Jones

JLUVBABY
My top names would be Ali, Tyson, Foreman (in his second career), dela Hoya and sugar ray leonard... they would be my top names for todays times as far as household names fighters people most know even non fight fans... the problem with this thread is that as generations pass older names become lost to the guys that are new to the sport... therefore some of the older names may or may not be excepted tho they would belong on the list...

but to go back in time and i will try to go from old fighter on up as best as possible i would say my list goes as follows: john l sullivan, james j jeffreis, jack johnson, jack dempsey, joe louis, sugar ray robinson, rocky marciano, ali, sugar ray leonard, mike tyson, george foreman and last but not least oscar dela hoya... that would be my top 12... i am sure some will argue and it is up to debate but all 12 of these guys where known to the average joe blow on the streets (non fight fans) during their respective times the world over... their are several other fighters i am sure people would add to the list but it is my opinion that these guys are the most recognized fighters to grace the ring... you may also notice that most are heavyweights and it is also my opinion that that is why the division and part of the reason the sport is in the shape its in right now... so goes the heavyweights go's boxing and the heavyweight champion has always been considered the baddest man on the planet and when he is dominant the world follows... that probably explains why the last golden age ended with the names tyson and foreman in it and the sport is in the condition its in now... as good as the klits are and they are good their are too many belts and too many other problems etc... the average joe dont know klitschko... you could make the argument that the average joe or mary joe didnt know lennox lewis for that matter.... some did most didnt.. anyway sorry about my rambling but that is my list...lol...

"john l sullivan, james j jeffreis, jack johnson, jack dempsey, joe louis, sugar ray robinson, rocky marciano, ali, sugar ray leonard, mike tyson, george foreman and oscar dela hoya... that would be my top 12..." from past to present you can pretty much follow these 12 names and they show the biggest money makers and attractions in the sport from john l on to present times... biggest money makers equal the biggest names known by everyone worldwide from lil mary sue in elementary school on up to joe blow in the barber shops and most in between...
JonnyBlaze
1)Ali
2)Tyson
3)DLH
4)Foreman
5)SSR and SRL---gotta put both of them here since the casual fans get them twisted and sometimes don't know which one they are talkin about
6)Holyfield---if someone didn't know his name or rememeber/seen him fight,all ya gotta say is the dude who got his ear bit off by Tyson and they're like "oh yeah,Holyfield"..
7)RJJ--all the casual fans I'm friends with like him more than anyone else they've seen.
8)Lennox Lewis--who doesn't know him,especially after seein him on celeb. apprentice(only watched it because of him)..When they were in the streets,Lewis would be flocked in a few seconds..I was pretty surprised at how many knew him..
9)Marciano
10)Frazier

Others who could be put in there are Dempsey and Louis..I'm not sure who'd be more well known between these 2..It depends on the person I guess..I think either ya know both or neither IMO..

6-10 can all easly be switched up..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Jan 11 2009, 03:07 AM) [snapback]419774[/snapback]
My top names would be Ali, Tyson, Foreman (in his second career), dela Hoya and sugar ray leonard... they would be my top names for todays times as far as household names fighters people most know even non fight fans... the problem with this thread is that as generations pass older names become lost to the guys that are new to the sport... therefore some of the older names may or may not be excepted tho they would belong on the list...

but to go back in time and i will try to go from old fighter on up as best as possible i would say my list goes as follows: john l sullivan, james j jeffreis, jack johnson, jack dempsey, joe louis, sugar ray robinson, rocky marciano, ali, sugar ray leonard, mike tyson, george foreman and last but not least oscar dela hoya... that would be my top 12... i am sure some will argue and it is up to debate but all 12 of these guys where known to the average joe blow on the streets (non fight fans) during their respective times the world over... their are several other fighters i am sure people would add to the list but it is my opinion that these guys are the most recognized fighters to grace the ring... you may also notice that most are heavyweights and it is also my opinion that that is why the division and part of the reason the sport is in the shape its in right now... so goes the heavyweights go's boxing and the heavyweight champion has always been considered the baddest man on the planet and when he is dominant the world follows... that probably explains why the last golden age ended with the names tyson and foreman in it and the sport is in the condition its in now... as good as the klits are and they are good their are too many belts and too many other problems etc... the average joe dont know klitschko... you could make the argument that the average joe or mary joe didnt know lennox lewis for that matter.... some did most didnt.. anyway sorry about my rambling but that is my list...lol...

"john l sullivan, james j jeffreis, jack johnson, jack dempsey, joe louis, sugar ray robinson, rocky marciano, ali, sugar ray leonard, mike tyson, george foreman and oscar dela hoya... that would be my top 12..." from past to present you can pretty much follow these 12 names and they show the biggest money makers and attractions in the sport from john l on to present times... biggest money makers equal the biggest names known by everyone worldwide from lil mary sue in elementary school on up to joe blow in the barber shops and most in between...

I this this post is probably the best in this topic..The last paragraph stands out the most to me..It's a really good breakdown..John L Sullivan needs his name brought up here..Packey Mcfarland(sometimes called Mcfarley I've seen) would be on my list too,yet doubt anyone has heard of him..Have any of ya??He never lost a fight in over 104 fight..He had a few draws in there but only lost 1 fight in 112 fights..He was a couple years after John L Sullivan..Also,another dope thing about him is that he was from Chicago too..
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Jan 11 2009, 01:54 AM) [snapback]419778[/snapback]
I this this post is probably the best in this topic..The last paragraph stands out the most to me..It's a really good breakdown..John L Sullivan needs his name brought up here..Packey Mcfarland(sometimes called Mcfarley I've seen) would be on my list too,yet doubt anyone has heard of him..Have any of ya??He never lost a fight in over 104 fight..He had a few draws in there but only lost 1 fight in 112 fights..He was a couple years after John L Sullivan..Also,another dope thing about him is that he was from Chicago too..

i think i've heard of packy.. didnt he have the longest unbeaten streak or sumthiin like that?... see thats why i didnt add him to my list even if i was sure who he was... unless i read the post wrong these are supposed to be best known fighters as in household names right?.... if so i cant add him to the list... from john l all the way to hoya each fighter named is at the time the most paid best known fighter in the sport at the time, and let me add not necc. the best fighter in all cases... and i tried to make the names as lineal as possible from for namability from start to finish... i dont think i forgot anybody... i didnt add guys like jones or holyfield because as good as they where they did not transcend the sport in a way that they are known such as tyson and dela hoya.. its the reason why a welterweight could command so much money.. he is a matinee idol... when naming the fighters i tried to keep in mind guys that not just the barber shop guys would know but on down to little kids and people in general that dont watch boxing period.... you could argue that as good as jones was or holyfield was and as popular we would like to think they are here in the states where they that big abroad?... i dont think so... tyson, when he fought in japan the first time against tony tubbs and even douglas it was like elvis was in their country... it was mad hysteria over there... holyfield nor jones nor any other fighter other than hoya since sugar ray leonard can lay claim to that kind of fame... and before leonard the man was ali... and before ali in the 50's it was marciano and robinson (also in the 40's) and you can follow the names back to big john l... anyway please folks dont jump me this is all subjective these are just my opinions...lol....
D-MARV
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Jan 11 2009, 02:41 AM) [snapback]419776[/snapback]
1)Ali
2)Tyson
3)DLH
4)Foreman
5)SSR and SRL---gotta put both of them here since the casual fans get them twisted and sometimes don't know which one they are talkin about
6)Holyfield---if someone didn't know his name or rememeber/seen him fight,all ya gotta say is the dude who got his ear bit off by Tyson and they're like "oh yeah,Holyfield"..
7)RJJ--all the casual fans I'm friends with like him more than anyone else they've seen.
8)Lennox Lewis--who doesn't know him,especially after seein him on celeb. apprentice(only watched it because of him)..When they were in the streets,Lewis would be flocked in a few seconds..I was pretty surprised at how many knew him..
9)Marciano
10)Frazier

Others who could be put in there are Dempsey and Louis..I'm not sure who'd be more well known between these 2..It depends on the person I guess..I think either ya know both or neither IMO..

6-10 can all easly be switched up..

I don't think SRR should be up there. In today's generation, I don't think peple know who he was. I hung out with some friends last night (most of them are casual fans) and I asked them this question. Out of the 10 people, only 3 named Sugar Ray Robinson. All of them named Tyson, Ali, Foreman, and Fraizer.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 11 2009, 10:14 AM) [snapback]419800[/snapback]
I don't think SRR should be up there. In today's generation, I don't think peple know who he was. I hung out with some friends last night (most of them are casual fans) and I asked them this question. Out of the 10 people, only 3 named Sugar Ray Robinson. All of them named Tyson, Ali, Foreman, and Fraizer.

how old where your friends?.. i ask this because as generations move on there are going to be names that will start to not show up or fade away... my meaning is, is the topic based on who are the fighters we know in todays era are is it per era?... if it is per era sugar ray robinson absolutely belongs on the list... in his day he an joe loius where the premiere named fighters of the time... internationally known... maybe i read the question wrong, but i am taking the question as asking the top 10 NAMED FIGHTERS of all time... or to reword the question i take it as saying who are the top 10 FACES OF BOXING of all time?... to compare per era sugar ray robinson reigns supreme as far as name value over joe frazier who was by far outshined before and after his reign as champ by Ali who for all cases and purposes was the face of boxing even during his exile from the sport for about 15 years...
D-MARV
These guys were mid 20s.

But my point is that today's generation heard of guys like Tyson and Ali. But a handful of them don't know who SRR was. If you were to ask this question 20 years ago, then I'm sure more people would know who Sugar Ray Robinson was. But In today's era, I can find 10 guys who's name is more popular than old school fighters like SRR and Joe Louis.
BigG
Ali
Tyson

Marciano
De La Hoya
Leonard
Holyfield
Duran
Trinidad
Jones Jr.
Hagler
Hearns
Chavez

And Mayweather is pretty famous too.

Friends of mine know Tyson, Jones Jr, and Mayweather though...al
streetlion1
Top 3

Ali

Tyson

DLH
Snoop
QUOTE(JaRaNDa @ Jan 11 2009, 06:37 AM) [snapback]419765[/snapback]
This is exactly right. And I knew I'd get people disagreeing with some of the names but everything snoopnick just wrote above with communities, race, age ect. is why I thought it would be interesting to see who comes up with what! Like rusty_trombone saying Louis is more recognized than Lewis, well I think that may be debatable when it comes to the general audiance or people who aren't evan into sports or most importantly boxing. why? because Lewis is more current and most might know him for beating up Tyson! But I think putting Louis there is fair enough as many from past generations would still remember him. (I forgot to put Jones up there lol)

If I was to walk around the streets in Australia most would say Tszyu, Fenech, Mundine, Green, Rose, Elis also which I could of put in my list but I wanted to try look at it on a global scale too!

That's a really good point I didn't even think of. Nationality plays a huge factor. Ask about those names you mentioned here and nobody will know them. Ask about them in Australia and someone will tell you some tall tale they heard about how they used to train.

I traveled 9 countries in Latin America for one year and boxed in each one of them. Apart from the national champions which people everywhere in the country seems to know, (which I had no fucking clue about), the names that came up most often were Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard, and Oscar De La Hoya.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Jan 11 2009, 05:02 AM) [snapback]419783[/snapback]
i think i've heard of packy.. didnt he have the longest unbeaten streak or sumthiin like that?... see thats why i didnt add him to my list even if i was sure who he was... unless i read the post wrong these are supposed to be best known fighters as in household names right?.... if so i cant add him to the list... from john l all the way to hoya each fighter named is at the time the most paid best known fighter in the sport at the time, and let me add not necc. the best fighter in all cases... and i tried to make the names as lineal as possible from for namability from start to finish... i dont think i forgot anybody... i didnt add guys like jones or holyfield because as good as they where they did not transcend the sport in a way that they are known such as tyson and dela hoya.. its the reason why a welterweight could command so much money.. he is a matinee idol... when naming the fighters i tried to keep in mind guys that not just the barber shop guys would know but on down to little kids and people in general that dont watch boxing period.... you could argue that as good as jones was or holyfield was and as popular we would like to think they are here in the states where they that big abroad?... i dont think so... tyson, when he fought in japan the first time against tony tubbs and even douglas it was like elvis was in their country... it was mad hysteria over there... holyfield nor jones nor any other fighter other than hoya since sugar ray leonard can lay claim to that kind of fame... and before leonard the man was ali... and before ali in the 50's it was marciano and robinson (also in the 40's) and you can follow the names back to big john l... anyway please folks dont jump me this is all subjective these are just my opinions...lol....

Packey does have the longest unbeaten streak..The reason I brought him up was cause you went so far back as Sullivan,I wanted to bring him up..I also wanted to see if anyone knew him..I bet you'll be one of the very few..

It's dope that you know and obviously appreciate a lot of far far back history like I do..Props to ya..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 11 2009, 12:14 PM) [snapback]419800[/snapback]

I think SRR should be in there..Like I said,a lot of people get SRR and SRL twisted(that I've known)..I think the people who might know SRL more is because of The Contender..
D-MARV
Totally DISAGREE!

Leonard without a doubt is more popular than Sugar Ray Robinson!

It wasn't until I became an Hardcore fan that I realized that Sugar Ray Leaonard wasn't the original "Sugar Ray"

Ray Leonard was popular before the contender.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 11 2009, 11:54 AM) [snapback]419808[/snapback]
These guys were mid 20s.

But my point is that today's generation heard of guys like Tyson and Ali. But a handful of them don't know who SRR was. If you were to ask this question 20 years ago, then I'm sure more people would know who Sugar Ray Robinson was. But In today's era, I can find 10 guys who's name is more popular than old school fighters like SRR and Joe Louis.

in todays time more people might have heard of zab judah than sugar ray robinson...lol... i based my list on generation to generation... thats what i was saying... if i based my list on the names average joes would know today yes it would look completely diffrent... my list was based on the top 10 of all times... i thought thats what the question was asking... like i said maybe i read it wrong... assuming the original question is based on all time names both sugar rays belong on the list... imo...
D-MARV
I guess. But today's generation also heard of guys like Ali and Fraizer. Anyway you look at it I don't SRR should be in the top 10.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Jan 11 2009, 02:42 PM) [snapback]419831[/snapback]
Packey does have the longest unbeaten streak..The reason I brought him up was cause you went so far back as Sullivan,I wanted to bring him up..I also wanted to see if anyone knew him..I bet you'll be one of the very few..

It's dope that you know and obviously appreciate a lot of far far back history like I do..Props to ya..

like i said in another post johnnyblaze.. i dont claim to no even half there is to know about the sport.. i dont think anybody could answer every trivia there is about the sport... but like i said before i grew up in a family that watches the sport before football and basketball and i can remember as a little kid opening up the encyclopedia and reading about all the old fighters and i loved the sport so much at an early age that i would literally study the encyclopedia so much that i could almost recite the articles on each fighter...lol.... i read about them for fun.. i looked them all up and their records would be in there and thats kind of how i picked up on those guys... then when i got old enough i started renting the old tapes from the rental stores back in the day and dubbing them and studying them... then i started my fight library when i was about 12 or 13 and it has just grown from there.. i have over 3000 fights now.. probably closer to 4000... i quit counting them years ago i just make sure every dvd (and vhs) is labeled now...lol... but that is how i learned so much... which really the little bit of knoledge i have is not alot there is so much history behind this sport its not even funny.. thats why i hate to see it in shambles like it is...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 11 2009, 03:42 PM) [snapback]419839[/snapback]
I guess. But today's generation also heard of guys like Ali and Fraizer. Anyway you look at it I don't SRR should be in the top 10.

if the original question was asking who are the top 10 names of ALL TIMES srr is most definently on the list.. during his generation there where only two names that really stood out... joe louis and srr... actually srr fought into the era of rocky marciano as champ so he also shared that most known fighter at that time with marciano... at that time there was marciano robinson and the rest of the great fighters that fought during that era.... but mainstream america during the fifties knew marciano and they for sure knew robinson if they couldnt name anyone else... those guys where probably bigger than you would consider dela hoya today because boxing was a glamour sport back then....
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 11 2009, 03:23 PM) [snapback]419835[/snapback]
Totally DISAGREE!

Leonard without a doubt is more popular than Sugar Ray Robinson!
It wasn't until I became an Hardcore fan that I realized that Sugar Ray Leaonard wasn't the original "Sugar Ray"

Ray Leonard was popular before the contender.

why do you think sugar ray leonard is more popular than srr?... because you hadnt heard of him until you became a hard core fan or a few of your friends didnt mention his name?... if you know the leonard story there probably would have been no leonard if not for robinson... era for era srr was every bit as popular as leonard... like i said before in time most names wont be talked about as much because of new school fighters coming out from era to era...

heres an example of what i'm saying... lets say you have the same convo. 50 years from now on some boxing board hopefully fight hype with some yungster bout who was greater.. hoya or fighter x (example fighter thats hot and blazing at the time, lets say year is 2059)... now fighter x is hot as hell and knocking out everybody and he is known the world over... hoya is old by that time and not talked bout much in the media etc.. except by the old timers and this yungster or the average joe dont know how popular hoya was in his time so when the most popular names come up you wont hear his name as much...

that is basically what our convo is coming down too... robinson in his time was every bit as big as leonard was in the 80's cuzz thats when his popularity was at its greatest... you might see this as far fetched but look it up robinson would get mobbed where ever he went... he could barely walk down the streets of harlem back in the day... era for era he might have been a bigger attraction than leonard.. its a tough call... the topic reads: Most recognized fighters of all time!, Top 10... they both belong on that list at the end of the day...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(JaRaNDa @ Jan 10 2009, 08:24 PM) [snapback]419749[/snapback]

1. Muhammed Ali
2. Mike Tyson
3. Oscar De La Hoya
4. George Foreman
5. 'Sugar' Ray Leonard
6. Rocky Marciano
7. Evander Holyfield
8. Felix Trinidad
9. Lennox Lewis
10. Naseem Hamed

What do you guys think?

DMARV i just figured out where the discrepency is coming from... this is the original post... the topic reads: Most recognized fighters of all time!, Top 10

then he back doors the topic and writes: If you were to walk around the streets and approach anybody and everybody and were to ask them "name as many boxers as you can?" Which 10 fighters (all time) would be mentioned the most?

The two questions dont belong on the same topic... they are conflicting questions... there is no way to narrow down a concrete answer off the topic because its actually asking two diffrent questions... it makes for conflict.. so i will say reading deeper into this that we both make valid points... leonard probably is the better known sugar ray NOW and era for era they where just as popular with both belonging on the top 10 of all time list or 12 as i made mine...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 11 2009, 06:06 PM) [snapback]419855[/snapback]
My other observation is that you ask most people who the best fighter of all time is, most will say Ali. A lot get confused with the greatest of all time, with the greatest heavyweight of all time.

very true...
STEVENSKI
The title of this thread is

"Most recognized fighters of all time!, Top 10"

Therefore it is a all time list & based on that I would list the following.

Dempsey
Louis
Ali
Marciano
Tyson

The reason they are all big heavyweights are because they are the most "popular" & "newsworthy" fighters in history. Dempsey was the most recognisable sportsperson of his time with only grainy newspaper coverage. All these guys are instantly recognisable & every sports fan knew who they were in thier time.

Jesus some of the fighters listed here are laughable at best for being "recognised" seriously guys Hamed?
Snoop
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Jan 12 2009, 01:17 AM) [snapback]419858[/snapback]
The title of this thread is

"Most recognized fighters of all time!, Top 10"

Therefore it is a all time list & based on that I would list the following.

Dempsey
Louis
Ali
Marciano
Tyson

The reason they are all big heavyweights are because they are the most "popular" & "newsworthy" fighters in history. Dempsey was the most recognisable sportsperson of his time with only grainy newspaper coverage. All these guys are instantly recognisable & every sports fan knew who they were in thier time.

Jesus some of the fighters listed here are laughable at best for being "recognised" seriously guys Hamed?

Again, it all depends on what generation and what country you're talking about. I didn't know who Jack Dempsey was before I got into boxing. Most people that I've met around the world have no idea who Rocky Marciano is. The ones that are the most recognized, not the most legendary, are the ones that get stories OUTSIDE the ring because frankly, not that many people watch boxing. I can totally imagine Hamed being known well around the UK. Hell, almost everyone here knows who Manny Pacquiao is just given his recent victories. Is it laughable just because people only pay attention to what's popular?
STEVENSKI
You miss my point & the thread title which is about who is the most recognisable fighters of all time. The fact that 90 years after he won the title we still recognise Dempsey speaks volumes. In 90 years time it will be Naseem who? Media exposure makes fighters more recognisable today sure but how long will that last. Who today is a true crossover star?

Ali, Louis, Marciano are all instantly recognisable to anyone who has any general knowledge of sports.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(JaRaNDa @ Jan 12 2009, 03:59 AM) [snapback]419915[/snapback]
It may be 'laughable' that I may have Hamed on my list and maybe laughable that that I don't have Robinson on my list! But if you read on why and how lists can vary due to age, race & location it's not that out of the question! I have personally met MANY people who know who Hamed is! why? his the guy that wore leopard, he was loud he was cocky and nearly everyone hated him!..but his STILL known!

I don't think Robinson is a MUST on the list because when I talk boxing to people everyone is VERY suprised when I say Ali is not the G.O.A.T but Robinson!! Many think Ali is the best..or Tyson..fuck many dickheads think De La Hoya is still in his prime! Why? Because his on every PPV with big name fighters still to this day! and that's why De La Hoya is my number 3 & my list stays!

ok 2 things... your original post contradicted the topic that you wrote which is what caused some confusion... your post reads: top 10 most recognized fighters of ALL TIME.... it doesn't say the most recognized fighter to the people you know and that is basically what you wrote in your body paragraph after you wrote the topic... if you go to mexico you may get that julio cesar chavez is the biggest name of all time... get what i'm saying.. your topic and the way you explained what you wanted us to express conflicted each other... number 2 hamed is only a famous name where ever in britian he lays his head right now... naseem hamed is not a known name anywhere except in his circle of friends... yes he was hated or what not and wore flashy trunks but the world never got know hamed like that... i can name a bunch of guys that wore flashy trunks that nobody knows... i bet i could walk outside right now and ask my yard guy if he knows naseem hamed and the chance is less than 50-50 that he knows who that scrub is...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Jan 11 2009, 09:13 PM) [snapback]419877[/snapback]
Again, it all depends on what generation and what country you're talking about. I didn't know who Jack Dempsey was before I got into boxing. Most people that I've met around the world have no idea who Rocky Marciano is. The ones that are the most recognized, not the most legendary, are the ones that get stories OUTSIDE the ring because frankly, not that many people watch boxing. I can totally imagine Hamed being known well around the UK. Hell, almost everyone here knows who Manny Pacquiao is just given his recent victories. Is it laughable just because people only pay attention to what's popular?

this topic is becoming laughable... i could ask my 10 yr old daughter if she knows who rocky marciano is and unless she has heard me discuss him she will say she dont know who that is... i can also guarentee you she knows the names tyson and ali and thats not through me they are house hold names the world over but thats not the point here.... the point is this... this topic reads, again...lol...: most recognized fighters of all times... OF ALL TIMES NOT... Not in the u.s are are in the u.k are narrowed down to you asking the friends that you know... The topic is asking who are the most recognizable fighters of all time... hamed is like ranked 1000 on that list... and who are you asking around the world about rocky marciano?.. anyone with a pulse that dont know any better confuses him with balboa, they are gonna make a connection even as small a connection it may be... but that is besides the point because the topic conflicts what he actually writes in his lead in post.... this topic is a double edged sword and will only cause confusion because depending on how you read this it can be interpreted 2 diffrent ways.... and actually it asks 2 diffrent questions... if you go back and read the original post the post asks you to ask friends etc who are the fighters they know and recognize... the topic reads who are the most recognizable fighters of all times.. no matter how you try to twist it the answers are going to be diffrent on both list with the only two names that are about to be on both list being tyson and ali and maybe hoya due to the era we are in right now...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(JaRaNDa @ Jan 12 2009, 03:59 AM) [snapback]419915[/snapback]
Nice lists from people! I see some disagreeing on how so and so can be on the list!!
Sorry to confuse anybody but when I say '..of all time' I didn't want people to think it's only todays boxers..but also boxers from the past too!

I'll try get the scenario right here. We are not going around boxing gyms, not asking boxing historics or evan asking fight fans ..or sport fans "who is the most recognized fighter'. You simply walk around today in 09' (lets no go back in time here) and ask ANYBODY & EVERYBODY male, female, old, young ect 'Name as many boxers past to present as you can' which fighters would be mentioned the most?

It may be 'laughable' that I may have Hamed on my list and maybe laughable that that I don't have Robinson on my list! But if you read on why and how lists can vary due to age, race & location it's not that out of the question! I have personally met MANY people who know who Hamed is! why? his the guy that wore leopard, he was loud he was cocky and nearly everyone hated him!..but his STILL known!

I don't think Robinson is a MUST on the list because when I talk boxing to people everyone is VERY suprised when I say Ali is not the G.O.A.T but Robinson!! Many think Ali is the best..or Tyson..fuck many dickheads think De La Hoya is still in his prime! Why? Because his on every PPV with big name fighters still to this day! and that's why De La Hoya is my number 3 & my list stays!

its your list and you have the right to put who ever you want in it...lol.. so let it stay!.. lol... are you understanding where the confusion is coming about? your topic question contradicts what you wrote in your lead in post to this topic... you ask 2 diffrent questions... 2 very diffrent questions...
slap
[quote name='JaRaNDa' date='Jan 10 2009, 09:24 PM' post='419749'

1. Muhammed Ali
2. Mike Tyson
3. Oscar De La Hoya
4. George Foreman
5. 'Sugar' Ray Leonard
6. Rocky Marciano
7. Evander Holyfield
8. Felix Trinidad
9. Lennox Lewis
10. Naseem Hammad
[/quote]
1. Muhammad ali
2. Mike tyson
3. Oscar de la hoya
4. Sugar ray leonard
5. Roy jones jr
6. George forman
7. Money may
8. Lennox lewis
9. Evander holyfield
10. Bernard hopkins
Snoop
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Jan 12 2009, 04:43 AM) [snapback]419885[/snapback]
You miss my point & the thread title which is about who is the most recognisable fighters of all time. The fact that 90 years after he won the title we still recognise Dempsey speaks volumes. In 90 years time it will be Naseem who? Media exposure makes fighters more recognisable today sure but how long will that last. Who today is a true crossover star?

Ali, Louis, Marciano are all instantly recognisable to anyone who has any general knowledge of sports.

I may have misread your point but I think I got the OP's point. To be fair, you didn't start the thread and it seems to me based off his posts, we actually see eye to eye.

However, I do see your point about all-time. I mean yeah, Jack Dempsey did accomplish more than Naseem, but if people don't talk about it, he will be forgotten. I mean look at Sam Langford. I would have never even known who that guy was if it wasn't for Decagon having a photo of him on his avatar. But I bet you back in the 1900s, every black person in the oppressed South would know him. Now, not really the same.

I'll give you an example. I lived in Colombia for five and a half months. When I told them I was doing stuff with boxing, one name came up. Antonio Cervantes aka "Kid Pambelé". EVERYONE knew this guy. Shop owners, street vendors, shit even beggers on the street would mention this guy. I had never heard of him before I went there.

I think the surfacing point of this thread is really showing how time isn't static and really the only thing constant in this world is change. Interesting development.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.