Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pacquiao will not except 50-50 split for hatton
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
JLUVBABY
Pac will not except 50-50 split, fight may be off

I don't know how valid this report is but check it out for yourself...
Maxy
Well lets just hope that whatever needs to be agreed is agreed because I think it'll be an excellent fight and it would be a right kick in the teeth if it's not gonna happen due to some fucked up dispute over money.
Snoop
Seriously this is sad. I mean at this stage of their careers, shouldn't money not really be the point anymore?
Big Slim Sweet
Pacquiao deserves more than 50% of the split. "60/40 get your ass wheeeped."
Snoop
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Jan 12 2009, 07:59 PM) [snapback]419961[/snapback]

Based off performance records, Pacquiao is definitely more deserving. But boxing is a business and Hatton brings in a shitload of buys, just as much as Pacman IMO. I think a 50/50 split from the Hatton camp isn't out of line by any means. Maybe a 55/45 would be more reasonable, but money shouldn't really be an issue for either of these guys. Maybe it's just a respect thing. dntknw.gif
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Jan 12 2009, 03:02 PM) [snapback]419963[/snapback]
Based off performance records, Pacquiao is definitely more deserving. But boxing is a business and Hatton brings in a shitload of buys, just as much as Pacman IMO. I think a 50/50 split from the Hatton camp isn't out of line by any means. Maybe a 55/45 would be more reasonable, but money shouldn't really be an issue for either of these guys. Maybe it's just a respect thing. dntknw.gif

I agree that 55/45 would be reasonable and I bet they get it done for that amount.

Boxing really needs to include some sort of winner's bonus. Like a 40-40 deal with the winner getting the remaining 20, though I suppose with the subjective nature of scoring bouts it would be difficult for the fighters and promoters to trust this system.
Snoop
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Jan 12 2009, 08:57 PM) [snapback]419976[/snapback]
I agree that 55/45 would be reasonable and I bet they get it done for that amount.

Boxing really needs to include some sort of winner's bonus. Like a 40-40 deal with the winner getting the remaining 20, though I suppose with the subjective nature of scoring bouts it would be difficult for the fighters and promoters to trust this system.

I agree. I'm surprised that isn't already implemented.
BigG
When has Hatton proven to be a PPV star outside of UK? Hatton had one HBO PPV and did 800,000 buys with Mayweather who is a pretty big draw himself and was the P4P king (and did 2.5 million buys with DLH)
Snoop
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 12 2009, 10:30 PM) [snapback]420000[/snapback]
50/50 seems fair. Other than Pacquiao's fight with DLH (which isn't a surprise considering it's DLH), he hasn't really proven to be a PPV star, while Hatton on the other hand has been proven. 50/50 is fair enough for me.

Exactly. As sad as it is, skill and record never solely translates into marketability.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Jan 12 2009, 03:57 PM) [snapback]419976[/snapback]

That's a awesome idea Slim..This would do wonders for boxing too..A guy would train harder and do a lot more to win a fight knowing that he could walk away with more money if he wins..Guys would step their game up if they had splits like this..
BigG
Pacquaio did good numbers with Marquez II and Morales and of course, DLH. Believe me, Manny's popularity in the Philippines is as big as Hatton's is in Manchester. The whole country basically stops and just watches Manny whenever he fights.
Snoop
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jan 12 2009, 10:45 PM) [snapback]420012[/snapback]
Pacquaio did good numbers with Marquez II and Morales and of course, DLH. Believe me, Manny's popularity in the Philippines is as big as Hatton's is in Manchester.

The problem is that they air the fights in the Philippines for free, and I think Fitz mentioned this earlier, which I agree with, is that Hatton's fans (UK fans) have the ability to travel and therefore have more money to spend in regards to the fight. As popular as Pacman is in the Philippines, it is an impoverished country with few resources, e.g. boxing cannot make much money off that fan base.
BigG
That's true Snoop but Manny probably has a bigger fanbase in the US? I think a 50-50 split is fair but I don't believe Hatton is a much bigger draw than Manny. I'm sure Manny got more famous too after his absolutely one-sided thrasing of De La Hoya.
stateofthegame
Here in the US most of the Filipinos get together and watch the PPV. It is a big deal. The house may hold 10 people but their will be 100 there. I know we have fight parties, but when you get that many to watch a ppv that is a big money loss, and does not really show the amount of support. The support is higher than the sales is what I am trying to say.
D-MARV
That's alright! This just sets up a Mayweather-Pacquiao fight.
Snoop
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jan 12 2009, 10:51 PM) [snapback]420016[/snapback]
That's true Snoop but Manny probably has a bigger fanbase in the US? I think a 50-50 split is fair but I don't believe Hatton is a much bigger draw than Manny. I'm sure Manny got more famous too after his absolutely one-sided thrasing of De La Hoya.

Mmmm...that's debatable. I know a lot of Filipino-Americans that absolutely love this guy, but Filipino-Americans aren't exactly the richest demographic here in the US either. I'm sure his stock went up after dismantling DLH, but still, not sure enough to argue Hatton doesn't deserve 50-50.

Like I said, I'd be comfortable with 45-55 in Pac's favor, but not anymore than that.

Yep, what snoopnick said. Must have been typing together, lol.

I think we actually were. LOL.
Snoop
QUOTE(stateofthegame @ Jan 12 2009, 11:01 PM) [snapback]420022[/snapback]
Here in the US most of the Filipinos get together and watch the PPV. It is a big deal. The house may hold 10 people but their will be 100 there. I know we have fight parties, but when you get that many to watch a ppv that is a big money loss, and does not really show the amount of support. The support is higher than the sales is what I am trying to say.

Forgot to include that in my post but this was exactly what I was thinking when I wrote it.
BigG
State, that's a great point and totally true. I'm thinking the split should be 55-45 for Manny only because he's universally recognized as the P4P king. But I really don't care how much they make. I just hope the fight gets made soon.
kidbazooka1
Pacqiuao is the main man here he deserves the bigger piece of the pie.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Jan 12 2009, 01:59 PM) [snapback]419961[/snapback]

That sound like a quote from the Roy-Hopkins argument before the Kelly fight. LOL
King Eugene
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 12 2009, 05:07 PM) [snapback]420023[/snapback]
That's alright! This just sets up a Mayweather-Pacquiao fight.

There will be an even bigger money dispute then.
thehype
I gotta admit, I'm with Pac on this one...fvck that...he just made De La Hoya quit on his tool...he DEFINITELY deserves more than a 50/50 split! And fvck 55/45 too...60/40 and Hatton can get his ass whipped!

I'm not so sure either one of them is that much of a bigger draw than the other, but as the P4P king, Pacquiao is THE guy that everyone...Marquez, Diaz, Campbell, Hatton, Holt, Bradley, Judah...EVERYONE wants to fight. It's time for him to get paid like a king! Hatton should take the short end of the stick or go back to fighting the Malignaggis, Lazcanos, Castillos and Urangos of the world. Pffffft!!!!
Fitz
QUOTE(thehype @ Jan 13 2009, 01:47 PM) [snapback]420074[/snapback]
Hatton should take the short end of the stick or go back to fighting the Malignaggis, Lazcanos, Castillos and Urangos of the world. Pffffft!!!!

It's funny you say that, as he has fought Mayweather the p4p #1 king, and Pacquiao was supposed to be just a stepping stone for DLH and was probably going to set up a BIGGER fight than the Pacquiao fight. So I'm not sure about the "fighting the Malignaggi's, Lazcano's" etc comments or where it's coming from, because Hatton was in very high demand. It's just that Pacquiao spoilt the show.
JLUVBABY
just read that hatton is standing firm on the 50/50 split... hatton standin still on 50/50 split 2 things could be happening here.. either one side is holding out for more or could it be possible that there is a pretty boy peepin' in pacmans window?...lol
King Eugene
The better leave the Pretty boy out of this...
1. He is going to ask for more of the pie since he is the one coming out of retirement and he thinks he will be more at risk and deserving.

2. He'll whoop both of them. He stops Pac-Man faster than he stops Hatton cause.
Snoop
I still think 50/50 isn't absurd but if it costs the fight it is. Either of these fighters would be pretty foolish to turn down the fight based on the split, especially when it's a 5%-10% difference. If they cancel the fight nobody gets paid. Where's the sense in that?
King Eugene
If they cancel the fight will some of you die hard fans of these two lose a little respect for them for fighting for money only?

Well I'm mainly talking to the guys that know Floyd for doing it.
The CEO
QUOTE(thehype @ Jan 12 2009, 09:47 PM) [snapback]420074[/snapback]
I gotta admit, I'm with Pac on this one...fvck that...he just made De La Hoya quit on his tool...he DEFINITELY deserves more than a 50/50 split! And fvck 55/45 too...60/40 and Hatton can get his ass whipped!

I'm not so sure either one of them is that much of a bigger draw than the other, but as the P4P king, Pacquiao is THE guy that everyone...Marquez, Diaz, Campbell, Hatton, Holt, Bradley, Judah...EVERYONE wants to fight. It's time for him to get paid like a king! Hatton should take the short end of the stick or go back to fighting the Malignaggis, Lazcanos, Castillos and Urangos of the world. Pffffft!!!!

I'm with this....^^^

Hatton has GOT to be THE most underskilled/overrated/overpaid fighter of all time....it was bad enough he was able to finagle his way into sharing the ring with Mayweather and sell his 0 for all that money....and I'm sayin' it's outright LUDICROUS that he gets yet ANOTHER mega fight after struggling against a Lazcano and owning a Malibummy.....

It should be obvious to EVERYONE that the guy just ain't good enough to deserve these top dollar fights against the P4P kings.....

The most fitting percentage for this fight is 75-25 for Manny.....because compared to Pacquiao.....Hatton ain't shit.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(3King3 @ Jan 13 2009, 02:31 AM) [snapback]420128[/snapback]
If they cancel the fight will some of you die hard fans of these two lose a little respect for them for fighting for money only?

Not at all. All fighters fight for money. This isn't a PBF type of deal where one guy is making outlandish demands that they know can't possibly be met. These guys are fighting for percentages. It's a respect thing, similar to Jones and Hopkins.

Anyway, let's not get all hot under the collar just yet. This type of stuff happens in most big fight negotiations. It happened with Pac and Oscar, happened with Margarito and Mosley. This fight is too big to HBO for it not to get done.
thehype
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 12 2009, 09:56 PM) [snapback]420080[/snapback]
It's funny you say that, as he has fought Mayweather the p4p #1 king, and Pacquiao was supposed to be just a stepping stone for DLH and was probably going to set up a BIGGER fight than the Pacquiao fight. So I'm not sure about the "fighting the Malignaggi's, Lazcano's" etc comments or where it's coming from, because Hatton was in very high demand. It's just that Pacquiao spoilt the show.

It's not funny at all because I was very serious about it. This is the problem with the sport...fighters having inflated egos regarding their self-worth.

Where is it coming from?

laugh.gif

It's coming from the fact that since his most notable win against Kostya Tszyu in 2005, the only other "elite" fighter that Hatton has faced was Floyd Mayweather, the P4P #1 King as you so astutely pointed out, and he got knocked out. Other than that, Hatton's resume includes the following:

Carlos Maussa
Luis Collazo (a fight he got rocked in and arguably lost)
Juan Urango
Jose Luis Castillo
Juan Lazcano (another fight he got rocked in almost lost)
Paul Malignaggi

To my knowledge, with the exception of Castillo, none of those fighters were ever considered to have P4P talent and Hatton went the distance with half of them (Collazo, Urango, Lazcano).

On the other hand, since his last loss to Erik Morales in 2005, Manny Pacquiao has gone on to move up 3 different weight classes (skipping 140 of course) and won all 9 of his fights (2 more than Hatton fought), beating the likes of:

Erik Morales (not once, but twice...stopping him both times)
Hector Velazquez
Oscar Larios
Jorge Solis
Marco Antonio Barrera
Juan Manuel Marquez
David Diaz
Oscar De La Hoya

At least 4 of those guys were all considered to be P4P talents and will probably be in the Hall of Fame at some point...and Pacquiao stopped 6 of them, only going the distance with Larios, Marquez and Barrera.

To make a long story short, Pacquiao has accomplished a lot more than Hatton in the past 3 years (hell...in his entire career if you factor in the fact that he's a 5-division champion to Hatton's 2 divisions) and seeing as how neither one of them is that much of a bigger draw than the other, he deserves to get the the bigger purse. I could understand if Hatton was pulling in Oscar De La Hoya numbers, but the fact is, he's not! Oh sure...he's a HUGE draw in England...but shit...it says here that Pacquiao is an even bigger draw in the Philippines. In fact, I can't recall the numbers, but doesn't the Philippines have a larger population than the UK? I bet they do and if Manny Pacquiao were to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr., I think that PPV does a MINIMUM of 1 million buys. So I even feel confident in saying that Pacquiao is the bigger draw and when you combine that with what he's accomplished in his career, 60/40 sounds just about right. Otherwise, Ricky Hatton can move on over to Showtime and fight Bradley or Holt for peanuts while Manny stays put on HBO and chooses between Juan Manuel Marquez, Juan Diaz, Nate Campbell, Andre Berto, Shane Mosley or even Antonio Freakin Margarito if he wants to. That's the type of position that HBO should take with Hatton/Golden Boy in order to make this fight a done deal. Coming off of a HUGE win over De La Hoya...a fight where he made the Golden Boy quit on his stool...Pacquiao is the one in the driver's seat, not Hatton. Who the fvck is Ricky Hatton? Last time I checked, he wasn't even fighting on PPV. In fact, as Thomas Hauser pointed, his last fight on HBO World Champion Boxing had a 2.5 rating...those are lower numbers than what Spongebob Square Pants gets. Until he gets a more notable win over an "elite" fighter, Ricky Hatton should just STFU, take the short money and prove that he's the top dawg by beating Pacquiao inside the ring...not at the negotiating table!
Snoop
QUOTE(thehype @ Jan 13 2009, 07:07 PM) [snapback]420152[/snapback]
It's not funny at all because I was very serious about it. This is the problem with the sport...fighters having inflated egos regarding their self-worth.

Where is it coming from?

laugh.gif

It's coming from the fact that since his most notable win against Kostya Tszyu in 2005, the only other "elite" fighter that Hatton has faced was Floyd Mayweather, the P4P #1 King as you so astutely pointed out, and he got knocked out. Other than that, Hatton's resume includes the following:

Carlos Maussa
Luis Collazo (a fight he got rocked in and arguably lost)
Juan Urango
Jose Luis Castillo
Juan Lazcano (another fight he got rocked in almost lost)
Paul Malignaggi

To my knowledge, with the exception of Castillo, none of those fighters were ever considered to have P4P talent and Hatton went the distance with half of them (Collazo, Urango, Lazcano).

On the other hand, since his last loss to Erik Morales in 2005, Manny Pacquiao has gone on to move up 3 different weight classes (skipping 140 of course) and won all 9 of his fights (2 more than Hatton fought), beating the likes of:

Erik Morales (not once, but twice...stopping him both times)
Hector Velazquez
Oscar Larios
Jorge Solis
Marco Antonio Barrera
Juan Manuel Marquez
David Diaz
Oscar De La Hoya

At least 4 of those guys were all considered to be P4P talents and will probably be in the Hall of Fame at some point...and Pacquiao stopped 6 of them, only going the distance with Larios, Marquez and Barrera.

To make a long story short, Pacquiao has accomplished a lot more than Hatton in the past 3 years (hell...in his entire career if you factor in the fact that he's a 5-division champion to Hatton's 2 divisions) and seeing as how neither one of them is that much of a bigger draw than the other, he deserves to get the the bigger purse. I could understand if Hatton was pulling in Oscar De La Hoya numbers, but the fact is, he's not! Oh sure...he's a HUGE draw in England...but shit...it says here that Pacquiao is an even bigger draw in the Philippines. In fact, I can't recall the numbers, but doesn't the Philippines have a larger population than the UK? I bet they do and if Manny Pacquiao were to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr., I think that PPV does a MINIMUM of 1 million buys. So I even feel confident in saying that Pacquiao is the bigger draw and when you combine that with what he's accomplished in his career, 60/40 sounds just about right. Otherwise, Ricky Hatton can move on over to Showtime and fight Bradley or Holt for peanuts while Manny stays put on HBO and chooses between Juan Manuel Marquez, Juan Diaz, Nate Campbell, Andre Berto, Shane Mosley or even Antonio Freakin Margarito if he wants to. That's the type of position that HBO should take with Hatton/Golden Boy in order to make this fight a done deal. Coming off of a HUGE win over De La Hoya...a fight where he made the Golden Boy quit on his stool...Pacquiao is the one in the driver's seat, not Hatton. Who the fvck is Ricky Hatton? Last time I checked, he wasn't even fighting on PPV. In fact, as Thomas Hauser pointed, his last fight on HBO World Champion Boxing had a 2.5 rating...those are lower numbers than what Spongebob Square Pants gets. Until he gets a more notable win over an "elite" fighter, Ricky Hatton should just STFU, take the short money and prove that he's the top dawg by beating Pacquiao inside the ring...not at the negotiating table!

I agreed with about 95% of that post and actually makes your appeal to Hatton getting less more reasonable. I think the only thing that I would say to stand by my 50-50 justification (which actually is turning more into a 45-55), is that UK fans can bring more money than Filipino fans. I see your point about one not being significantly a bigger draw than the other, but one has the draw of a demographic that has money, and the other does not.

But really good point about the options here. I've been saying from the get that it would be foolish for either fighter to turn down the fight in the name money, but now I think it would be WAAAAYY more stupid for Hatton to turn it down than Pacquiao. Especially over 5-10%.
Maxy
40% of the purse from a Pac fight is surely more money than 70% of any other fight Hatton could take right now. He'd be foolish to turn the fight down. I understand his viewpoint though. He brings more paying fans than Pac and he was told that 50-50 is all good a little while back. Now 50-50 is no good?

Oh well, end of the day Pac-Hatton has to happen. I don't think there is a better fight out there right now for either man.
thehype
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Jan 13 2009, 01:21 PM) [snapback]420156[/snapback]
I see your point about one not being significantly a bigger draw than the other, but one has the draw of a demographic that has money, and the other does not.

I think that's debateable though...not so much the fact of one having the draw of a demographic with money while the other doesn't, but the assumption that the demographic with money far outweighs the demographic without money. For example, if the demographic with money is comprised of 60 people, but only 30 of them are fans that will pay for a boxing fight, does that necessarily outweigh the demographic without money if it's made up of 90 people, ALL of which are rabid fans, but only 20 of them can afford the fight. Those other 70 fans may not be able to afford the fight, but if they're fanatics, will they find a way to band together and scrape up enough money to watch in the masses? In my opinion, it's about even. That being said, you have to factor in other variables like who's had more exposure to the "casual" fan. Given the fact that Pacquiao just waxed the Golden Boy...the only fighter that the "casual" fan really tunes in for anymore...I'd have to give the edge to Manny.

So....60/40 and Hatton can get that ass whooped!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

laugh.gif
Lil-lightsout
I was talking to my cousin today about this situation, and he told me about all the incentives(bonuses) UFC gives out. I barely follow mma, but some of the stuff made sense to me. Like bonuses for getting the KO, or getting a submission, and getting the win and stuff like that. Boxing should try some of that stuff out. Too many fighters come to fights ill prepared just looking for the check. Or even during fights you just see so many fighters cruise to a decision, when they could probably get a guy out of there. Guys giving little effort trying to actually win, just in survival mode to last the distance.

So like Big Slim already said, I think like a percentage put aside for the winner would be awesome. Fighters would probably think twice before quitting during fights, and there preparation would probably be more serious.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Jan 13 2009, 06:04 PM) [snapback]420184[/snapback]
I was talking to my cousin today about this situation, and he told me about all the incentives(bonuses) UFC gives out. I barely follow mma, but some of the stuff made sense to me. Like bonuses for getting the KO, or getting a submission, and getting the win and stuff like that. Boxing should try some of that stuff out. Too many fighters come to fights ill prepared just looking for the check. Or even during fights you just see so many fighters cruise to a decision, when they could probably get a guy out of there. Guys giving little effort trying to actually win, just in survival mode to last the distance.

So like Big Slim already said, I think like a percentage put aside for the winner would be awesome. Fighters would probably think twice before quitting during fights, and there preparation would probably be more serious.

i agree boxing needs to take that page from mma and i also feel that boxers are getting paid too much but the problem now is that boxers are spoiled.. have you seen some of the numbers mma fighters get paid for lets take for example ufc 92?... compared to boxers they get paid peanuts... they get paid wallet money compared to some boxers...
Snoop
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Jan 14 2009, 01:04 AM) [snapback]420184[/snapback]

Yeah I had a friend that explained this to me as well. I couldn't see anything wrong with putting it into boxing. Does anyone know why it hasn't already been implemented?
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Jan 13 2009, 10:58 PM) [snapback]420225[/snapback]
i agree boxing needs to take that page from mma and i also feel that boxers are getting paid too much but the problem now is that boxers are spoiled.. have you seen some of the numbers mma fighters get paid for lets take for example ufc 92?... compared to boxers they get paid peanuts... they get paid wallet money compared to some boxers...

Boxers have more of a chance of death than MMA guys..Check out the statistics if ya don't believe me..Boxers deserve more money I think..
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Jan 14 2009, 01:04 AM) [snapback]420276[/snapback]
Boxers have more of a chance of death than MMA guys..Check out the statistics if ya don't believe me..Boxers deserve more money I think..

i dont agree at all with this statement.. how do mma fighters have less chance of death than a boxer?... they take punches just the same as a boxer and kicks and all kinds of other lethal holds such as sleepers and guilatines just to name a few... i watched a fighter break another fighters arm on i think showtime or it could have been ufc i forget but my point is there are dangers...guy wouldnt tap and got his arm broken in a arm bar hold... fact of the matter is that boxers are grossly over paid.. i'll take boxing over mma any day but i have to state what i think is the truth and that is boxers are not hungry because they are over paid... win or lose a fighter if he makes it that far can be paid $1 million dollars and a lot more... its no wonder these guys lose hunger.. few million dollar fights and i wold lose hunger too... main even ufc fighters make somewhere in he area of $250,000 plus bonus money if there is a ko or what ever the incentive is... those guys are hungry compared to boxers... but back to the comment mma guys take as much risk and actually more than a boxer....
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 14 2009, 02:30 AM) [snapback]420281[/snapback]
No offence Johnny, but I don't think you should comment on things regarding MMA. I don't even like MMA, but you can't call things with a level head, and the things you say are ridiculous regarding topics involving MMA.
Maybe the statistics of boxing having more deaths has something to do with that boxing has been fought for well over 100 years, even through times where they had bare knuckles and then gloves that are basically MMA gloves, used barbaric rules while MMA has barely been a legitimate sport for about a decade. Well when it first started, it wasn't respected, it probably only started getting respected from in the early 2000's. How could you even say that?
I suppose boxers should get paid more than soccer players also huh? lol. It also maybe has something to do with MMA also involves trying to make people submit and break bones rather than just knocking them out.

give mma time, there will be deaths... i dont mean to sound morbid but its the nature of the sport... like you say fitz mma is a baby still as far as sports are concerned but death comes with the territory.... mma is a blood sport... matter of fact i think it was last year would have to look it up but there was an article about mma's first death.. forget where it happened... my point is that those guys put it all on the line just like boxers and deserve to get paid as well... and i will say this as well sport for sport mma has been putting on better fight cards... just my opinion.. hopefully the powers that be can change that in 09..
thehype
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 13 2009, 05:45 PM) [snapback]420178[/snapback]
I only read up to here

I only read up to here, only because if you're not going to take the time to fully read all that I wrote, then I don't expect you to be able to comprehend everything and come up with a decent reply.

laugh.gif

I didn't just go on about resumes (of course, if you read the full post, you would have realized that)...resumes are just a small part of the total equation. The point is, Manny Pacquiao is in MUCH GREATER demand than Ricky Hatton, therefore, he deserves the bigger purse. At this point, if a fighter has a choice to fight Ricky Hatton or Manny Pacquiao, they're going to pick Pacquiao because he, being the P4P king and coming off a HUGE win against De La Hoya in front of millions of people, is the bigger fight. If HBO goes to Nate Campbell or Juan Manuel Marquez right now and asks them if they'd like to fight Ricky Hatton or Manny Pacquiao, they're BOTH going to answer with a resounding, "MANNY PACQUIAO!!!!!!"

Nobody...and I mean NOBODY is begging for Ricky Hatton to give them a fight. Meanwhile, you've got Nate Campbell, Juan Manuel Marquez, Kendall Holt, Edwin Valero, Israel Vazquez and even Margarito licking their chops hoping for a crack at him...particularly Campbell, Marquez, Valero, Holt and Vazquez...even Zab Judah's silly ass...who have ALL mentioned his name in recent interviews in hopes of a possible mega-fight. On the flip side, I rarely hear any of those guys begging Hatton to give them a crack...well...maybe Zab...but Zab begs EVERYBODY for a fight.

laugh.gif

Look, I'm not saying Ricky Hatton doesn't have any options...I'm just saying when it comes to MEGA-FIGHTS, Pacquiao's got first dibs, which makes him the bigger fight and worthy of the bigger purse. Can Hatton fight Nate Campbell, Juan Diaz or Juan Manuel Marquez? Absolutely, but Pacquiao, if he so chooses, would likely get those fights before him. So while Pacquiao continues to draw the big bucks on PPV, Hatton can continue with his 2.5 ratings on HBO World Championship Boxing.

laugh.gif
thehype
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 14 2009, 03:59 AM) [snapback]420285[/snapback]
Agreed. Like you say, it's a baby sport, and that's the reason why they are putting on better cards. To me the question is just how long these MMA fighters are going to get paid like this. I'm sure after a while they may think they should be getting paid just like boxers, and they can, as a UFC gate makes just as much of a turn over as a boxing event, and it's why they can currently provide better cards. UFC can probably pay the whole card full of top fighters with the amount that DLH makes in one fight. Could you imagine what kind of cards boxing could have if they were paid as much as UFC fighters? It is still a baby sport, and we will see if it continues like this well down the track.

On the flip side, maybe boxers should be getting paid a lot less. Could you imagine how many times Winky Wright would have fought in 2008 if he didn't get paid millions of dollars to fight Hopkins? I mean, the only reason why someone like Oscar De La Hoya got paid as much as he did was because HBO was simply afraid to lose him to Showtime so they gave in to his demands and kept giving him more and more money. There's no reason whatsoever why De La Hoya should still be getting the type of money he gets. I guarantee you that if he fights again, he'll get somewhere between 10-20 million. I'm sorry, but there's something wrong with the sport when a guy can take an ass whoopin' for 7 rounds in a lopsided, non-competitive fight, quit on his stool and then come back in his next fight and still make millions. Are you kidding me??????

dntknw.gif
Snoop
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 14 2009, 09:30 AM) [snapback]420281[/snapback]
No offence Johnny, but I don't think you should comment on things regarding MMA. I don't even like MMA, but you can't call things with a level head, and the things you say are ridiculous regarding topics involving MMA.
Maybe the statistics of boxing having more deaths has something to do with that boxing has been fought for well over 100 years, even through times where they had bare knuckles and then gloves that are basically MMA gloves, used barbaric rules while MMA has barely been a legitimate sport for about a decade. Well when it first started, it wasn't respected, it probably only started getting respected from in the early 2000's. How could you even say that?
I suppose boxers should get paid more than soccer players also huh? lol. It also maybe has something to do with MMA also involves trying to make people submit and break bones rather than just knocking them out.

I gotta agree with Fitz here. American Football players suffer more long-term injuries than boxers do, yet they make what boxers sometimes make for one fight, in 7 seasons. Should we then pay NFL players more money?

And again Fitz is very right in that MMA got almost no recognition when it first started. I'm talking about less rules, no weight classes, 30-min rounds and they were paid shit. If anything, MMA fighters are finally getting a little of what they deserve.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(thehype @ Jan 14 2009, 10:06 AM) [snapback]420295[/snapback]
On the flip side, maybe boxers should be getting paid a lot less. Could you imagine how many times Winky Wright would have fought in 2008 if he didn't get paid millions of dollars to fight Hopkins? I mean, the only reason why someone like Oscar De La Hoya got paid as much as he did was because HBO was simply afraid to lose him to Showtime so they gave in to his demands and kept giving him more and more money. There's no reason whatsoever why De La Hoya should still be getting the type of money he gets. I guarantee you that if he fights again, he'll get somewhere between 10-20 million. I'm sorry, but there's something wrong with the sport when a guy can take an ass whoopin' for 7 rounds in a lopsided, non-competitive fight, quit on his stool and then come back in his next fight and still make millions. Are you kidding me??????

dntknw.gif

you said it hype.. boxers are way over paid... no way a fighter deserves 20 million for a nights work... and its because the hoyas get paid so much the undercard sucks... not to mention its basically like hitting the jackpot.. look how fat and bloated buster douglas showed up to fight evander holyfield.. his career ended the night he got lucky against tyson.. he had done hit the jackpot... what ever hunger he had left was saved for the dinner table...
Snoop
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Jan 14 2009, 08:47 PM) [snapback]420318[/snapback]
you said it hype.. boxers are way over paid... no way a fighter deserves 20 million for a nights work... and its because the hoyas get paid so much the undercard sucks... not to mention its basically like hitting the jackpot.. look how fat and bloated buster douglas showed up to fight evander holyfield.. his career ended the night he got lucky against tyson.. he had done hit the jackpot... what ever hunger he had left was saved for the dinner table...

While I agree with your general statement, I just have to say fights are never "one night's work". They're a reflection of months and months of excruciating training and in some cases, starving yourself. I think Muhammad Ali put it best by saying, "The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights."

But your point still stands. 20 million is way too much, even for 3-6 months work.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(thehype @ Jan 14 2009, 10:06 AM) [snapback]420295[/snapback]

dntknw.gif

Sorry but I have to take issue with this.

Personally, I have no problem with ODLH getting paid 10-20 mil in his next fight. If ODLH can still draw that kind of attention, despite the ass kicking he took in his last outing, then more power [and money] to him. If an ODLH fight can still gross 20-30 million in total revenue then is it right and fair to only give the fighter, who puts his/her life on the line, just a small percentage of those revenues simply because he/she took an ass-whipping in his/her last fight? I don't think so....
Snoop
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Jan 14 2009, 09:10 PM) [snapback]420321[/snapback]
Sorry but I have to take issue with this.

Personally, I have no problem with ODLH getting paid 10-20 mil in his next fight. If ODLH can still draw that kind of attention, despite the ass kicking he took in his last outing, then more power [and money] to him. If an ODLH fight can still gross 20-30 million in total revenue then is it right and fair to only give the fighter, who puts his/her life on the line, just a small percentage of those revenues simply because he/she took an ass-whipping in his/her last fight? I don't think so....

In a short answer, yes, it is justified.

Dude, people put their life on the line in their jobs all the time. Soldiers, firefighters, police officers, etc. Yeah sure I'm talking about "the real world", but I think we gave enough examples of people who do the same in the entertainment realm, i.e. football players, mma fighters, and they do their fucking job for ALOT less. So yes, if DLH is getting paid that ridiculous amount of money, he bette fucking give it his all.
JLUVBABY
you might also want to add that oscar taking the lions share of total purse money kills the undercard fights... when he or anyother fighter for that matter gets paid like that the undercard suffers because there is not enough money to maintain a healthy undercard... just a thought..
thehype
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Jan 14 2009, 03:10 PM) [snapback]420321[/snapback]
Personally, I have no problem with ODLH getting paid 10-20 mil in his next fight. If ODLH can still draw that kind of attention, despite the ass kicking he took in his last outing, then more power [and money] to him.

And that's the reason why boxing is the way it is today. As long as there are still fans with this kind of mentality who are willing to pay, a change will never come.

cray.gif

Just for the record, one of the reasons why Oscar CAN get paid that kind of money is because YOU, the fan, is charged $54.95 to watch him not pull the trigger and then quit on his stool.
Snoop
QUOTE(thehype @ Jan 15 2009, 05:43 PM) [snapback]420411[/snapback]
And that's the reason why boxing is the way it is today. As long as there are still fans with this kind of mentality who are willing to pay, a change will never come.

cray.gif

Just for the record, one of the reasons why Oscar CAN get paid that kind of money is because YOU, the fan, is charged $54.95 to watch him not pull the trigger and then quit on his stool.

Yeah I agree. In the end, the cause of why all this stupid bullshit makes money, is because of us, the consumers. So I guess I see if DLH is clever enough to fool the public, more power to his sniveling ass.
torvix2000
UP!

Pacquiao has agreed to a 52-48 split. So, the principle stood firm. Just a little bit some recognition. 4% difference.

The fight is ON!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.