Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Berto v Collazo boxing after dark: All Comments Here
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Michigan Assassin
Christ man I'm going through fight withdrawl but it kicks back off with this Saturday's fight between Berto and Collazo.

Bertoi is fun as hell to watch with his great handspeed and crappy defense and Collazo has some skills that could give Andre trouble.

But I think Berto is too much for Collazo. If he had any power to hurt Berto I may give it some more thought. But with the exception of seriously hurting Hatton, who was just moving up from 140, Collazo hasn't shown much pop on his punches.

I see Berto getting him out of there in the 9th or 10th round. How do you think this going to play out?
JD
Berto by decision.

Collazo will cause some problems for him, but in the end, will not be active enough.
D-MARV
Berto 117-11, 116-112, 116-112
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 13 2009, 10:12 PM) [snapback]420214[/snapback]
Berto 117-11, 116-112, 116-112

hahahaha..You're the man for comin up with scorecards already..haha..I'm going with Berto too..I'm a real big Berto fan so there's no way I'd go against him in this one..I really wanna see a Berto/Cotto or Williams fight..I think Williams/Berto in the future could be one of the best fights between 2 young fighters out there right now(2 year age difference)..Williams may be way ahead of Berto in his career but it still makes for a good fight after Berto gets some more fights under his belt and keeps sharpening his skills..
Lil-lightsout
Mosely outspeeded him a bit ago, I expect Berto to do the same. Berto even throws more combo's and is fresher than Mosely(not saying he is overall better though). But hopefully Collazo comes to win and can make it competative and maybe even test Berto's chin. I just want to see a damn good fight no matter who wins.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Jan 13 2009, 10:21 PM) [snapback]420216[/snapback]
Mosely outspeeded him a bit ago, I expect Berto to do the same. Berto even throws more combo's and is fresher than Mosely(not saying he is overall better though). But hopefully Collazo comes to win and can make it competative and maybe even test Berto's chin. I just want to see a damn good fight no matter who wins.

I think we are pretty much for sure getting a good fight in this one..Collazo isn't a push over and he's got good skills..I do think Berto's speed and combos will get to him..Berto has the best jab at WW,even though it may not be the longest jab..
D-MARV
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Jan 13 2009, 09:21 PM) [snapback]420215[/snapback]
hahahaha..You're the man for comin up with scorecards already..haha..I'm going with Berto too..I'm a real big Berto fan so there's no way I'd go against him in this one..I really wanna see a Berto/Cotto or Williams fight..I think Williams/Berto in the future could be one of the best fights between 2 young fighters out there right now(2 year age difference)..Williams may be way ahead of Berto in his career but it still makes for a good fight after Berto gets some more fights under his belt and keeps sharpening his skills..

I doubt we see Berto-Williams. After PWill DESTROYS Winky--- Im sure he'll stay 154 and up.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 13 2009, 10:30 PM) [snapback]420218[/snapback]
I doubt we see Berto-Williams. After PWill DESTROYS Winky--- Im sure he'll stay 154 and up.

I agree..I think Williams would still like to be at WW since that's the best weight class at the moment and who wouldn't want to hold all the belts at the very best weight class in boxing??It really sucks we might not see Berto/Williams but I can still hope for it..Williams would make a good WW-middleweight and maybe someday a super middleweight or I'll go as far to say a light heavyweight..He'd be around 35 years old if this ever happens so no time soon(8 years)..I hate to make this match up right now but Williams/Dawson would be a sweet fight..I wonder how many punches would be thrown in that fight,no doubt a lot..
King Eugene
Berto by UD or late round stoppage.

Berto and Williams would be very entertaining I think but I'd give that one to Williams. He knows how to use he reach really well.

P.S.
As much as I like Williams, he'll get decisioned by Winky.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Jan 13 2009, 11:30 PM) [snapback]420234[/snapback]
Berto by UD or late round stoppage.

Berto and Williams would be very entertaining I think but I'd give that one to Williams. He knows how to use he reach really well.

P.S.
As much as I like Williams, he'll get decisioned by Winky.

I think the Williams/Winky fight will be close ONLY if Winky goes back to his old ways..If he fights Williams like he fought Taylor,he is going to get a major beating..Winky was trying to prove something against Taylor but made things hard for himself and got a draw instead of a W..I wish fighters didn't feel like they need to prove themselves..They should fight their fight and not ruin their skills to be more pleasing(Chris Byrd/Klitchko 2,Winky/Taylor,and so on)..
Jack 1000
Berto by decision in a harder than expected fight.

Jack
D-MARV
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Jan 13 2009, 11:11 PM) [snapback]420244[/snapback]
I think the Williams/Winky fight will be close ONLY if Winky goes back to his old ways..If he fights Williams like he fought Taylor,he is going to get a major beating..Winky was trying to prove something against Taylor but made things hard for himself and got a draw instead of a W..I wish fighters didn't feel like they need to prove themselves..They should fight their fight and not ruin their skills to be more pleasing(Chris Byrd/Klitchko 2,Winky/Taylor,and so on)..

There is no way Winky wins this fight. If Winky wins 3 rounds, that would be "Upset of the Year"

You guys can say I'm nuthugging all you want but I can think of about 10 other cats around Winky's weight that could beat him. "He's done"

JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 14 2009, 02:23 PM) [snapback]420312[/snapback]
There is no way Winky wins this fight. If Winky wins 3 rounds, that would be "Upset of the Year"
You guys can say I'm nuthugging all you want but I can think of about 10 other cats around Winky's weight that could beat him. "He's done"

I don't think your nuthugging cause I think the same thing as you..My point was that if Winky went back to his old ways,he'd be able to make it more competitive..I don't know about your 3 round theory though..Winky hasn't looked good in awhile I think and it's because he wants to fight more instead of box..Even if Winky can do that,he is going to have very few opportunites for counter punches since the punches will keep coming..If they were slower punches,he could counter effectively but Williams has real good speed..This could be similiar to Dawson/Tarver since Winky has been so inactive and we don't know if he's going to come to fight or box..Speed will be a huge factor in this fight like Dawson/Tarver..Dawson is young and has a lot of speed and Tarver is older and lost all his speed,at least in that fight he did..
Imperius3
Berto by decision. I agree with everything that has already been said above.

This is an intriguing fight because Collazo is a good test for the newly crowned champ. Collazo is a slick, intelligent fighter, and I expect him to make Berto look bad at times. It'll be competitive, but I don't think Collazo can hurt Berto. They both can throw some awesome combos except Berto's have more weight. Collazo hasn't really impressed lately...he hasn't had a good win since 2005, lost to Hatton at welter (very close though), and lost wide to Mosley. Granted I'm not sold yet on Berto either, but I think he has what it takes to beat Collazo.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Jan 14 2009, 12:26 PM) [snapback]420303[/snapback]
Berto by decision in a harder than expected fight.

Jack

Yup, Jack I agree. I think Collazo is a bigger guy than Berto is used to fighting. Also he isnt necessarily going to wilt when berto hits him. I think Berto will really have to suck it up and will squeek by. Let me throw out that we may have some controversy afterwards...
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Jan 15 2009, 04:51 AM) [snapback]420399[/snapback]
I think Berto will really have to suck it up and will squeek by. Let me throw out that we may have some controversy afterwards...

Agreed. This fight does have the ingredients for some controversy afterwards. Berto looks flashy early. Collazo weathers and comes strong late. Berto hangs on for the wider-than-it-should-be UD.
Al Hata

I like Berto by decision. Good fight to begin the year.
Spyder
All this talk about Berto got me thinking about the guy that OWNED him in the amateurs...Juan McPherson.

So I did a little google search to see what happened to him...and I found this:

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/index.ssf/..._passion_o.html
Imperius3
QUOTE(Spyder @ Jan 15 2009, 02:01 PM) [snapback]420444[/snapback]
All this talk about Berto got me thinking about the guy that OWNED him in the amateurs...Juan McPherson.

So I did a little google search to see what happened to him...and I found this:

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/index.ssf/..._passion_o.html

I'd like to hear Berto's side of that story. I'm still not sure why McPherson would quit because of that one setback. Are you sure he beat Berto in the amateurs? The article says Berto was beating him in the Olympic trials before the disqualification.
Spyder
I remember it very well...

Berto was the MAN at 152 and 156 before that...he was winning National Championships on a regular basis, and seemed the OBVIOUS Olympic representative. In fact, one of the local tourney's that we were both fighting at, his opponent came over to the fighter's area and said..."Great, I get to take on the Olympian."

Well Berto knocked that kid out in the second round, throwing nothing but body shots...seriously, he never threw a punch to the head! I think he was just showing off to Winky and Lacy who were in the crowd. lol

Well, when Berto went to the Nationals he met Juan McPherson and LOST. Everyone was like wtf?! This was in a qualifying year, so that was a big deal. There are other tourney's, but that was his first chance to clinch a trials invite. I believe that was the GG Nationals...no, it must've been the Ringside Nationals...in any case, which ever tourney came next...Juan beat him AGAIN!

That was two times that Berto was denied an invite to the Olympic Trials...so with that in mind...Berto wins a berth to the Trials at a later date, and wouldn't you know...he meets his old nemesis Juan McPherson in the Trials. This was the third time that Juan could deny Berto his destiny to be an Olympian, so you can imagine what Berto is feeling...

I didn't see the Trials fight, but read many accounts of it based on the bizarre nature of the events...not to mention it was in my weightclass, so I followed them pretty closely.

Anyway, it's possible that Berto was getting the best of Juan in the trials before the foul...it's also possible that Juan was getting the best of Berto, and Berto fouled out of frustration.

Either way, Juan McPherson had two LEGIT wins over Berto at the National level.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Spyder @ Jan 16 2009, 08:34 PM) [snapback]420630[/snapback]
I remember it very well...

Berto was the MAN at 152 and 156 before that...he was winning National Championships on a regular basis, and seemed the OBVIOUS Olympic representative. In fact, one of the local tourney's that we were both fighting at, his opponent came over to the fighter's area and said..."Great, I get to take on the Olympian."

Well Berto knocked that kid out in the second round, throwing nothing but body shots...seriously, he never threw a punch to the head! I think he was just showing off to Winky and Lacy who were in the crowd. lol

Well, when Berto went to the Nationals he met Juan McPherson and LOST. Everyone was like wtf?! This was in a qualifying year, so that was a big deal. There are other tourney's, but that was his first chance to clinch a trials invite. I believe that was the GG Nationals...no, it must've been the Ringside Nationals...in any case, which ever tourney came next...Juan beat him AGAIN!

That was two times that Berto was denied an invite to the Olympic Trials...so with that in mind...Berto wins a berth to the Trials at a later date, and wouldn't you know...he meets his old nemesis Juan McPherson in the Trials. This was the third time that Juan could deny Berto his destiny to be an Olympian, so you can imagine what Berto is feeling...

I didn't see the Trials fight, but read many accounts of it based on the bizarre nature of the events...not to mention it was in my weightclass, so I followed them pretty closely.

Anyway, it's possible that Berto was getting the best of Juan in the trials before the foul...it's also possible that Juan was getting the best of Berto, and Berto fouled out of frustration.

Either way, Juan McPherson had two LEGIT wins over Berto at the National level.

i have never heard of mcpherson is he any good?... is he pro or is there a chance he will be turning pro?.. whats the low-down on this guy?
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I think this fight has gone under the radar a bit. Haven't seen too much hype on it, but I think it could be a good one. Collazo is a good boxer, who gave Hatton everything he could handle. He fought Mosley with a busted thumb i believe, and was still competitive for the first six rounds. Louie has some speed, but so does Berto. I've been a fan of Collazo ever since the first Rivera fight, but I don't know about this one. Berto is pretty good, and is faster than Collazo. The southpaw style will give Berto some problems early on in the fight, and Collazo will win his fair share of rounds just with his skills. Berto just keeps bringing it though, and I see him outworking Collazo late. I'll take Berto by decision.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Jan 17 2009, 12:52 PM) [snapback]420672[/snapback]
I think this fight has gone under the radar a bit. Haven't seen too much hype on it, but I think it could be a good one. Collazo is a good boxer, who gave Hatton everything he could handle. He fought Mosley with a busted thumb i believe, and was still competitive for the first six rounds. Louie has some speed, but so does Berto. I've been a fan of Collazo ever since the first Rivera fight, but I don't know about this one. Berto is pretty good, and is faster than Collazo. The southpaw style will give Berto some problems early on in the fight, and Collazo will win his fair share of rounds just with his skills. Berto just keeps bringing it though, and I see him outworking Collazo late. I'll take Berto by decision.

none of these fights get the advertisement they should... its a shame cuzz there are some good fights that literally slide under the radar... i dont think its a lack of money for advertisement neither i think its greed... if a fight is gonna be on hbo put the fighters on radio shows etc... thats what they used to do... and the fights where usually pretty big fights.. the one that comes to mind was shane mosely vs winky wright 2.. tom joyner had both of them on his show leading up to the fight...
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Yea no doubt man. Im watching though, I hope Collazo wins. Maybe one of those nice left hands can stun Berto.
JLUVBABY
i wish hbo would quit these one fight cards... they could have shown a undercard fight or sumthin...
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
They were originally supposed to show Joe Greene vs. Sergio Martinez, but Greene pulled out. So I guess it's fine, they didn't just try to find a shitty replacement fight.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Damn, what a first round. Louie stunned Berto first with a big left, then Berto came back and stunned Collazo later in the round. Collazo finished the round strong with a nice left to the body. This is looking like it's going to he one hell of a fight.
JLUVBABY
good first round... i give it to collazo narrowly...
The CEO
I'm rootin' for my boy, L. COLLAZO.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Jan 17 2009, 09:11 PM) [snapback]420711[/snapback]
good first round... i give it to collazo narrowly...

i gave round two to berto.. but i dont know whos gonna land but this fight i dont think is going twelve...
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I didnt think we'd get this good of a fight. I got it 2-1 for Collazo. They're really mixing it up on the inside. Collazo's body attack is really making a difference.
Al Hata

Great round 3!
The CEO
WAR COLLAZO!!

Got him 2-1....real good fight shapin' up...Luis' givin' it to him so far....
JLUVBABY
anybody else notice everytime collazo throws that uppercut it is rockin berto... 3rd round callozo...
The CEO
Hell fuckin' YEAH....point taken from Berto for holding....
JLUVBABY
anybody else notice everytime collazo throws that uppercut it is rockin berto... 3rd round callozo...
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Hell yea he stunnin Berto. HE took round 4 too
JLUVBABY
this fight may not make it to the distance... collazo is landing some clean shots early...
Al Hata

Round 5 to Berto. Collazo needs to get back to the body work.
JLUVBABY
that last round berto probably won keepin the boxing on the outside but he has an uphill fight from here...
The CEO
well....Collazo takes the 5th too...schoolin' the one dimensional, explosive greenhorn....

Collazo isn't known as a power puncher...but he's got enough to get the job done...remember when he punished Hatton late in their fight....14 KOs in 29 fights ain't too shabby....
JLUVBABY
wow... this is starting to look like imma start off prediction league with a loss...lol... i was picking berto by 12 rd. decision..
JLUVBABY
berto hurt him to his body...
Al Hata
I got Collazo up 1 going into 8th.
The CEO
yep...Collazo got hurt to the body and took the rest of that round off....both fighters are showing wear and tear goin' into the 8th...
Al Hata

Good 8th round for Berto.
JLUVBABY
guys we are watching one hellava fight...
The CEO
Berto took that round too....Berto's will and dedicated body work might win him this one...but right now, I got it 5-3 Collazo...
Al Hata
WOW, Collazo ripped Berto at the end of that round.
JLUVBABY
WOW!!!!...LOL... this is one damn good fight...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.