Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Joshua Clottey vs. Kermit Cintron
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Lil-lightsout
So I threw out lesser known fight since most talk lately on here has been about Mayweather, Jones, Hatton, Pac, etc. This fight should be an exciting affair as long as it lasts. It is in NY so I probably might try to catch this one live. I know nothing about Jennings, will he give Cotto a test?

Cintron has not been mentioned in a while, so I am curious to see if anyone thinks he has a chance against Clottey. I definately favor Joshua myself, though I will root for Kermit because he is from my area(got to support the local fighters). Hopefully Cintron comes totally prepared, cause he is going to need it against Clottey. I did not see his last fight with Ndou(i think), he won a decision, but he looked awful against Margarito in the rematch. Any opinions at all?
JonnyBlaze
Do any of you remember me making this match up a few weeks ago??It'll be a good fight with Clottey winning in the end..Cintron doesn't have the power(nor does any WW) to finish Clottey off..
STEVENSKI
My only opinion is that Cintron needs those tear ducts cauterised so he does not embarass himself again.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Jan 13 2009, 11:16 PM) [snapback]420249[/snapback]
My only opinion is that Cintron needs those tear ducts cauterised so he does not embarass himself again.

LOL. Fucking classic.
King Eugene
This is going to be a pretty good card. I just wish it was a unification bout afterwards between the two winners. Even though I'm not opposed to Margarito vs. Cotto II but I want to see some unifications. I believe Clottey will be left out to dry again after the fight but hopefully he'll be able to get something worked out with Berto if they both win their fights.

So yea I'm pretty much writing Cintron off.
The Original MrFactor
I think this should be the main event. From a boxing fans point of view, this is a pretty good matchup. I dont think Clottey has the power to make Cintron bitch up. I do think that if Cintron can tag Clottey, it could get interesting. I think Clottey walks away with a split decision here in a close battle. Cintron knows this is his last hurrah if he doesnt win...
BigG
I think Clottey is going to beat Cintron by decision or late stoppage.
JLUVBABY
clottey is a beast.... this should be a good one...
slap
QUOTE(3King3 @ Jan 13 2009, 11:28 PM) [snapback]420257[/snapback]
This is going to be a pretty good card. I just wish it was a unification bout afterwards between the two winners. Even though I'm not opposed to Margarito vs. Cotto II but I want to see some unifications. I believe Clottey will be left out to dry again after the fight but hopefully he'll be able to get something worked out with Berto if they both win their fights.

So yea I'm pretty much writing Cintron off.

Yeah I wanna see some unification fights my self so if clotty and berto win I think those 2 will likey fight next IBF/WBC then we have margarito vs cotto 2 which would be 4 the WBA/WBO and maybe even the ring mag belt so the winner of those 2 fights could put it all on the line n a winner takes all match and we have a true welterweight champ
D-MARV
I favor Clottey in a competitive scrap.
Jack 1000
I'll take Cintron if he is mentally prepared to win a close decision. I agree, this should be the main event. Clottey can hit, but I don't think hard enough to make Kermit the Killer become Kermit the Crier again! Taking the brutal shots of Margarito can make good fighters break down. A Margarito rematch for the winner of this fight would be great for boxing.

Jack
The Original MrFactor
Welp, looks like the pwers that be fucked it up again.... Clottey/Cintron is off!!!

http://www.boxingscene.com/index.php?m=show&id=17884
D-MARV
Im not mad at Cintron at all. I feel bad for Clottey though. He can't seem to catch a break.
Lil-lightsout
Well that sucks, Clottey-Cintron would have been a blast to watch, but what would you expect with boxing. Sucks for Clottey especially, hopefully he can catch a break and get a suitable opponent for him in the near future.
Elijah
I was or I should say still am a big big fan of Cintron. The guy has a pretty good punch and a decent jab he just needs to put it all together and yes quit the cryin shit. I'm giving him a punchers chance despite the iron chin Clottey has on him. If and I know it's a big IF Cintron manages to pull of a miraculous decision or even finds a way to KO Clottey (I know I know not happening) it will launch him into the top of the division. Not to mention increase his already fragile confidence through the roof. He needs something good to happen to him for him to get a little confidence. I have no idea why he keeps taking on such difficult opponents though. Should have had a few tuneups before this match. Haha, his fight against wasn't the guys name Brinkley wasn't a very good showing despite the fact that he was pretty much a tuneup fight for him.

By the way is Steward still working with him?
Elijah
Shit, just read the fight is off. Well at least Cintron gets his tuneup fight. If he looks good maybe some will take notice and he'll manage to land a decent fight in the future.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Elijah @ Jan 14 2009, 07:43 PM) [snapback]420349[/snapback]
By the way is Steward still working with him?

No, and I am glad he is not. I thought he looked absolutely terrible in the Margarito rematch. I think he is with Ronnie Shields now, but I could be wrong.
JD
QUOTE(Elijah @ Jan 14 2009, 07:45 PM) [snapback]420350[/snapback]
Shit, just read the fight is off. Well at least Cintron gets his tuneup fight. If he looks good maybe some will take notice and he'll manage to land a decent fight in the future.

Tuneup? laugh.gif

Sergio Martinez is going to handle Cintron.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(JD @ Jan 14 2009, 10:09 PM) [snapback]420360[/snapback]
Tuneup? laugh.gif

Sergio Martinez is going to handle Cintron.

I'm not so sure Kermit can't compete with a slickster like Sergio. At least he won't be intimidated by him.

Nice little card HBO's put together there.
JD
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Jan 15 2009, 01:05 PM) [snapback]420418[/snapback]
I'm not so sure Kermit can't compete with a slickster like Sergio. At least he won't be intimidated by him.

Nice little card HBO's put together there.

Compete? Sure.

But Sergio Martinez as a "tuneup" for Cintron is laughable, if that's what his handlers are thinking here.
Elijah
If Cintron can't easily handle a guy whos biggest win is against Alex Bunema then he should hang 'em up.
Big Slim Sweet
No, he's definitely no tune up. In fact, my guess is Sergio will be the betting favorite. I can't imagine Cintron's handlers see him this way either, unless you consider Elijah here to be one of his handlers. laugh.gif

I'm just reserving judgement on Sergio 'handling' him. Cintron's not a bad boxer, he's just a little weak mentally. The only guy he ever lost to was a guy who scared the bejeezus out of him.

And he can legitimately crack. How good is Sergio's chin? Has anyone seen the loss to Margarito? Was it a one-punch kind of KO or did he succumb to accumulation?
Elijah
AM RARELY has one punch KO'd someone so I would guess it was due to an accumulation of punches. However, I'm guessing cuz I didn't see the fight. Besides that fight was in 2000, how much stock are you really putting into a fight that took place that long ago.
JD
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Jan 15 2009, 01:25 PM) [snapback]420425[/snapback]
No, he's definitely no tune up. In fact, my guess is Sergio will be the betting favorite. I can't imagine Cintron's handlers see him this way either, unless you consider Elijah here to be one of his handlers. laugh.gif

I'm just reserving judgement on Sergio 'handling' him. Cintron's not a bad boxer, he's just a little weak mentally. The only guy he ever lost to was a guy who scared the bejeezus out of him.

And he can legitimately crack. How good is Sergio's chin? Has anyone seen the loss to Margarito? Was it a one-punch kind of KO or did he succumb to accumulation?

It was an accumulation stoppage.

I do not believe he is one of his handlers, I was just commenting on the possibility that they may see Martinez as such. Elijah does see him as a tuneup, and he will be quite surprised when he actually sees the fight.

Martinez has not lost since the Margarito fight, and a lot of what people seem to think is a weak resume comes from no one having any interest in fighting him – most recently, Forrest or Mora. Besides, I fail to be blown away by Cintron’s biggest wins…Estrada? Teddy Reid? N’Dou a weight class above where he fights? Watch them both fight…if someone comes away seeing Martinez as a tuneup after seeing him fight, I guess that Cintron is going to need to look damn good against him in order to impress them. As an aside, this fight is at 154.

I got Martinez in this one personally.
Big Slim Sweet
I like Martinez to win as well.
Elijah
Obviously I like Cintron to win and win in an impressive fashion. Will be fun talkin shit afterwards.
JD
QUOTE(Elijah @ Jan 15 2009, 01:50 PM) [snapback]420435[/snapback]
Obviously I like Cintron to win and win in an impressive fashion. Will be fun talkin shit afterwards.

LOL...I don't talk shit anymore when I am spot on, you are begging for a shellacking the time(s) you are off.
Elijah
Nothing I can't handle. I'll be here to hear it if he loses. If he wins I expect the same out of each and every one of you.
JD
QUOTE(Elijah @ Jan 15 2009, 01:53 PM) [snapback]420438[/snapback]
Nothing I can't handle. I'll be here to hear it if he loses. If he wins I expect the same out of each and every one of you.

No. I am going to leave if Martinez loses this fight.
Elijah
Wow, backin out already huh. If you're that convinced he will win you should put some money on it. I don't mean with me though, I don't bet on sports. Just him winning will be gratifying enough for me, well that and a little shit talkin afterwards.
JD
QUOTE(Elijah @ Jan 15 2009, 01:57 PM) [snapback]420440[/snapback]
Wow, backin out already huh. If you're that convinced he will win you should put some money on it. I don't mean with me though, I don't bet on sports. Just him winning will be gratifying enough for me, well that and a little shit talkin afterwards.

LOL...Bro...I am not leaving if Martinez loses...I have been here for years (back when it was B-talk)...around 7 or 8, and being wrong on a fight like this would not see to it that I disappeared...hell, being wrong on ANY fight would not have me bid farewell. Sarcasm really is lost when written instead of spoken.

As for betting on this fight - it depends on the odds. I highly doubt this fight will offer much value, especially when I expect Cintron to be a slight dog...and a puncher like him is always dangerous as a dog, unless he is fighting a guy like Antonio Margarito. Martinez will offer very little value from a gambling point of view, regardless of the fact that I expect him to win.
Elijah
Haha yeah that was lost on me. I've been reading the board for a good while too, just don't post much.

May the better man win!
JD
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 15 2009, 04:43 PM) [snapback]420452[/snapback]
I wouldn't mind seeing Cuntron lose again. I have zero respect for him.

Good news then...you will.
Douchebag
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 15 2009, 07:10 PM) [snapback]420506[/snapback]
I hope so. I don't even dislike Cintron because of the crying part, but IF the guy that used to post here was his trainer at the start and the things he said was true about his habits in training etc. I don't like the guy.
The poster seemed legit though.

What habits? I wasn't around then.
Snoop
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Jan 14 2009, 10:10 PM) [snapback]420325[/snapback]
I'll take Cintron if he is mentally prepared to win a close decision. I agree, this should be the main event. Clottey can hit, but I don't think hard enough to make Kermit the Killer become Kermit the Crier again! Taking the brutal shots of Margarito can make good fighters break down. A Margarito rematch for the winner of this fight would be great for boxing.

Jack

For Clottey, just, even a maybe. For Cintron, hell no. He has to do more than beat Joshua Clottey to earn a third fight with Margarito. He was crushed both times. What's the point of a third? Well, the fight is canceled so this post doesn't have much of a point. I guess hypothetically speaking...
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 15 2009, 07:10 PM) [snapback]420506[/snapback]
I hope so. I don't even dislike Cintron because of the crying part, but IF the guy that used to post here was his trainer at the start and the things he said was true about his habits in training etc. I don't like the guy.
The poster seemed legit though.

Yo Fitz, Conditioner 101 was like his strength and conditioning coach/asst. trainer. If you ever took notice at his corner between rounds, he was the big muscular dude with shaved head and tattoos. He was def legit. I think they even did a piece on Kermit and his team before one of his fights, but I forget which one. Marshall Kauffman was his trainer, and I believe he even posted on here a few times if I remember correctly. Marshall's son is Travis Kauffman the heavyweight up and comer. I was recently at some fights in Reading and Cintrons one brother Jason fought, and I can not remember who is training him now though. I also believe the one poster who no longer comes here, Avon Barksdale, was also part of the Cintron camp at the time.

I am by no means trying to stir up any trouble, just giving you a little info, if you even care. dntknw.gif
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 15 2009, 11:58 PM) [snapback]420542[/snapback]
Yeah I thought he was legit, but I didn't have anything to go by. But based on what he says, there is nothing to like about Cintron.

Speaking of Kauffman, I noticed the other week he had a win. I saw a headline up on fighthype links, and it surprised me. I thought he was in jail for a long time because he fucked a 12 year old. What happened? Why isn't he in jail? I thought his career was over as he was going to be in jail, but looking at boxrec, he has had numerous fights in the last year or so. Were charges dropped or something? I remember Avon defending him, saying that he didn't know and she looked really mature for her age. I definitely remember Avon having something to do with Kauffman though, like an adviser or something of some sort.

Okay, I will try to break it down the best I can.

I do not know Condiitioner 101 personally, but I do not know why he would make up that stuff, so I believe it. And if it is all true, Cintron is a turd and maybe I should stop rooting for him laugh.gif . He(conditioner) is the guy who punched a guy in the crowd or some shit after Kermit lost to Margarito the first time in Vegas. I never heard what happened after that, if you even heard about that?

Kauffman was originally going to get jail time because I think he was going to plead guilty with his first lawyer from Reading. He then got a new lawyer from Philly and plead not guilty and got off. I have no clue how he got off, because I to thought he was going away for a little. I remember reading the paper in our area when that went down, I just do not remember the exact specifics. He also was arrested for selling drugs too, I think that was before the rape charges. I am not trying to rip on him either, because we all make mistakes, I am just trying to give you some info. I really do not want to piss any one off(like in his camp or something) by saying this shit.

I have seen him fight a few times locally, and he has fought some major soft touches. The one guy looked like he took a dive. Honestly, I am not overly impressed with him yet, though his last fight on Showtime about a month ago he looked decent. He did get knocked down too(just a flash), the guy he fought was 285lbs of pure jello with some okay skills. Travis just came in to his fights chubby, but his last fight he looked in much better shape finally. I know he put on a lot of weight going through all his legal woes, it just seemed to me it took him too long to get the weight off. I here he spars with a lot of top heavyweights too, so I hope he stays out of trouble and dedicates himself and can make some noise in this weak division.

I used to see Avon all the time at fight cards , I never spoke to him though and mentioned to him I post on boxingtalk.com. I trained at a different gym, so I really did not know there fighters or there people.
neophyte7
back on subject--- GET A COFFIN READY--- cintron may get killed against Clottey
Snoop
QUOTE(neophyte7 @ Jan 18 2009, 06:28 PM) [snapback]420854[/snapback]
back on subject--- GET A COFFIN READY--- cintron may get killed against Clottey

Well Cintron is no longer fighter Clottey. But yeah, he probably would have gotten serious hurt against Clottey.
JLUVBABY
to think they where talkin bout cintron fighting cotto.. that would have been a masacre...
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Jan 19 2009, 04:26 AM) [snapback]420958[/snapback]
to think they where talkin bout cintron fighting cotto.. that would have been a masacre...

Skill wise Cotto is way ahead of Kermit, but all it would take is one good shot from Cintron and Cotto would go to sleep. So you never know for sure. I would personally favor Cotto too, but I would not completely count out Cintron with his power and Cotto's shaky chin.
Snoop
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Jan 19 2009, 10:26 AM) [snapback]420958[/snapback]

WTF? Are they trying to get Cintron killed?

Skill wise Cotto is way ahead of Kermit, but all it would take is one good shot from Cintron and Cotto would go to sleep. So you never know for sure. I would personally favor Cotto too, but I would not completely count out Cintron with his power and Cotto's shaky chin.

Good points, but what Cintron lacks that Cotto has is heart. Cotto will keep fighting til someone steps in for him, while Cintron will cry and quit on his stool. Plus, power ain't shit if you can't land.
Imperius3
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Jan 16 2009, 12:12 AM) [snapback]420556[/snapback]
Okay, I will try to break it down the best I can.

I do not know Condiitioner 101 personally, but I do not know why he would make up that stuff, so I believe it. And if it is all true, Cintron is a turd and maybe I should stop rooting for him laugh.gif . He(conditioner) is the guy who punched a guy in the crowd or some shit after Kermit lost to Margarito the first time in Vegas. I never heard what happened after that, if you even heard about that?

Kauffman was originally going to get jail time because I think he was going to plead guilty with his first lawyer from Reading. He then got a new lawyer from Philly and plead not guilty and got off. I have no clue how he got off, because I to thought he was going away for a little. I remember reading the paper in our area when that went down, I just do not remember the exact specifics. He also was arrested for selling drugs too, I think that was before the rape charges. I am not trying to rip on him either, because we all make mistakes, I am just trying to give you some info. I really do not want to piss any one off(like in his camp or something) by saying this shit.

I have seen him fight a few times locally, and he has fought some major soft touches. The one guy looked like he took a dive. Honestly, I am not overly impressed with him yet, though his last fight on Showtime about a month ago he looked decent. He did get knocked down too(just a flash), the guy he fought was 285lbs of pure jello with some okay skills. Travis just came in to his fights chubby, but his last fight he looked in much better shape finally. I know he put on a lot of weight going through all his legal woes, it just seemed to me it took him too long to get the weight off. I here he spars with a lot of top heavyweights too, so I hope he stays out of trouble and dedicates himself and can make some noise in this weak division.

I used to see Avon all the time at fight cards , I never spoke to him though and mentioned to him I post on boxingtalk.com. I trained at a different gym, so I really did not know there fighters or there people.

Yeah, Kauffman was found not guilty. He must've paid a pretty penny on attorneys.

I remember when Avon said Cintron got a 13-15 year old girl pregnant and made her have an abortion to avoid prosecution. It was also great watching Margarito crush him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.