Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Khan vs Barrera
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Maxy
It has been reported that Amir Khan will face Mexican legend Marco Antonio Barrera on March 14th. I know Barrera has seen better days but I am stunned that Khans people see this as a good fight. One punch from Barrera and its good night Amir.

Thoughts?
Mean Mister Mustard
Didn't see this one coming. If Barerra shows up in shape he beats Khan.
D-MARV
It CAN be a competitive fight.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Khan Decisions him.

He'll fight smart and stay on the outisde.
Snoop
Very, VERY tough fight for Khan. IMO a foolish move on behalf of his managers. I can't really see Khan beating Barerra on the inside or the outside. Barerra has a proven chin and has loads of experience. The only way I see Khan beating him is if Barerra is just that damn washed up. Maybe his camp knows something we don't.
ROLL DEEP
No way in a million years do I see Khan beating Barrera.

What a strange move by Khans camp if this is true. Only one fight ago he got SPARKED by a relative nobody (compared to the MAB's, Morrles, etc of the world) and now he's fighting Antonio?!?

dntknw.gif
Michigan Assassin
This isn't the Barrera from the mid 90's he's fighting. Khan's handspeed will be the key in this fight. I see him peppering MAB all night and getting out.

Of course, Barrera has surprised us before but I think all of Amir's physical advantages will be too much for Marco to overcome.
Michigan Assassin
Also key could be has Amir's psyche been completely destroyed after the KO loss. If so, MAB could exploit that.
Elijah
Well IF Khan can pull out a win it will definitely help him gain some recognition throughout the boxing world.

Maybe that's what his managers are thinking. A win over a big name always helps. If he loses a close decision they can say well he's young and lost to an experienced fighter.
Spyder
Clever match-making by Khan's people. Barrera is a HUGE name, and no where near the fighter that he once was...but the public doesn't know that.

In my opinion, putting Jermain Taylor in the ring with Bernard Hopkins was MUCH more careless than this...and we see how that developed his career. This is a good move for Khan, and it might be the reason that MAB left GBP...

I noticed that MAB also has a fight tentatively scheduled for the end of this month...I guess he really is trying to make a comeback!
D-MARV
QUOTE(Spyder @ Jan 15 2009, 01:51 PM) [snapback]420436[/snapback]
Clever match-making by Khan's people. Barrera is a HUGE name, and no where near the fighter that he once was...but the public doesn't know that.

In my opinion, putting Jermain Taylor in the ring with Bernard Hopkins was MUCH more careless than this...and we see how that developed his career. This is a good move for Khan, and it might be the reason that MAB left GBP...

I noticed that MAB also has a fight tentatively scheduled for the end of this month...I guess he really is trying to make a comeback!

Agreed!

I'm surprised that not many people are given Khan a chance. This is a real winnable fight for him.
JonnyBlaze
This fight is stupid..Barrera shouldn't come back no matter how much I like him..I think he can win the fight but he has had a really long career and has fought in the pros for a really long time..
Big Slim Sweet
Is HBO supposed to be airing this?
Mean Mister Mustard
I think they are taking this fight based on how he looked against Paquiao the 2nd time as well as how pudgy he looked over in China. But do not let the Pacquiao fight fool you, the weak showing by Barerra was more due to his inability to do anything against the whirlwind that is Pacquiao than actual deterioration. Still, if Barerra's reflexes are shot then he will be easy pickings for Khan's speed. If he shows up in the same shape as he did in the Marquez fight though, then he could beat Khan.

Spyder
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 15 2009, 04:51 PM) [snapback]420455[/snapback]
This fight makes zero sense from Khan's team (unless he wins of course, lol). Big risk, but if it comes off, you gotta give Khan some respect. Not exactly taking the easy path. From Barrera's side, good fight for him to take, considered way past his prime, and nothing much more for him. Why not fight an untested olympic gold medal prospect?

Untested? Khan got Ko'd by Prescott...I'd consider that a pretty good test.
stateofthegame
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Jan 15 2009, 10:23 PM) [snapback]420413[/snapback]
The only way I see Khan beating him is if Barerra is just that damn washed up. Maybe his camp knows something we don't.

Or maybe the KO loss pot things into perspective for them with the money they have put into him and are deciding they need to cash in as soon as possible. Either way it could be win/win.

If Khan wins, bigger fights and more money awaits, if he loses. They get part of their investment back and then they drop him.
Snoop
QUOTE(stateofthegame @ Jan 16 2009, 12:06 AM) [snapback]420482[/snapback]
Or maybe the KO loss pot things into perspective for them with the money they have put into him and are deciding they need to cash in as soon as possible. Either way it could be win/win.

If Khan wins, bigger fights and more money awaits, if he loses. They get part of their investment back and then they drop him.

Hmm...good point. I guess it is a good choice from the viewpoint of his handlers, that is if they don't give a shit about Khan and only care about making money. LOL.
Spyder
Hell, Khan will be getting paid too.

Remember how they cashed out on David Reid? Served him up to a PRIME Tito Trinidad with only 14 fights and one eye!
Snoop
QUOTE(Spyder @ Jan 16 2009, 03:18 AM) [snapback]420525[/snapback]
Hell, Khan will be getting paid too.

Remember how they cashed out on David Reid? Served him up to a PRIME Tito Trinidad with only 14 fights and one eye!

But even David Reid knew he didn't have a lot of time so it made sense for him. I just wonder if the beliefs of Khan's future are the same for him and his managers or if his managers are keeping something from him.
Spyder
Naw, I don't buy that conspiracy theory...he's training with Freddie Roach now, and Roach likes him a lot. Even had him sparring with Pacman during the DLH camp.

He had an early reality check, and now he can make a statement like comeback against an aged legend.
kidbazooka1
Khan will fall with the firts jab MAB throws at him. Seriousley though as long as Barrera has a little fight left in him he'll stop Khan IMO.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I like this fight for Khan.

I think MAB is waaay past his best and I think Khan has the right guy (Roach) in his corner.

Sure it's a risk but don't we the fans often complain about guys being too safely managed? Don't we ask/wish young fighters would take more risks?

It is a calculated gamble no doubt but the key word is calculated. This isn't prime MAB and that is what the Khan camp is counting on. the biggest exposure he can get for the minimum risk. Shit if he's no good he'll get beaten again and for much less money then he'll get for facing MAB.

Besides Freddy has never seemed like a trainer who would throw his fighter to the wolves for a quick buck.

It sorta reminds me of when a young Pac-Man took on MAB all those years ago. He had been knocked out previously and wasn't given much of a chance and look where he is now.....

Worth the risk in my view.
D-MARV
I love this fight for Khan. If he wins, he basically redeems himself in the eyes of the public. If he loses, oh well, he lost to a legend (many people don't seem to give Khan a chance anyway). I favor Khan in this fight. MAB is past his prime and he doesn't have the one punch KO power that Prescott has. I think Khan can outwork and even out box MAB at this time. Also, Khan will make a pretty penny in this fight. Excellent work by his management team. No point of throwing him in there with another unknown fighter with the possibility of Khan getting KO'd again. If that were to happen then Khan would really be up "Shit's Creek".

Khan by competitive but Clear Decision. 116-112
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
We're singing from the same hymn sheet on this one.

In fact I would've put Khan in this fight even if he hadn't been knocked out by Prescott.

It's about time a young fighter showed some moxy and stepped up to the plate against a great (albeit faded) former champion, roll the dice and let the chips may fall where they lay.

Khan by UD or even late stoppage.
JLUVBABY
this is the perfect fight for khan at this point in his career... barerra has the name and just enough ring wear for khan to look good in wining...
BigG
I like this fight...like a few posters here..Khan may have the HEIGHT and speed to outpoint an aging Barrera.
Snoop
QUOTE(Spyder @ Jan 16 2009, 04:47 AM) [snapback]420536[/snapback]
Naw, I don't buy that conspiracy theory...he's training with Freddie Roach now, and Roach likes him a lot. Even had him sparring with Pacman during the DLH camp.

He had an early reality check, and now he can make a statement like comeback against an aged legend.

Hmm...good point. I didn't know Roach was training him. He's a trainer that appears to legitimately care about his fighters.

I guess after reading some of the posters' responses, it does make some sense to schedule this fight for Khan. I still think a tune-up for Khan may have been wiser. You just don't know how a fighter reacts when getting brutally KO'd in the first round.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I also like this fight. Barrera is past his best, but I didn't think he looked that bad in the Pac rematch. He took a few rounds in that fight, and Pacquiao had to work. Khan is coming off a tough loss, and it will be interesting to see where his mind is at. MAB could jump on him early, and keep that doubt in his mind. Khan is fast though, and if MAB has really fallen that far it will show. I don't think he has though. He's had a warm up fight, and won't be so rusty. I hope they show this fight, it could be a good match. Ill take Barrera by close decision.
mexi-cutioner
This sholdn't be a question, Barrera WAS a great and his WAY past his prime

Khan will win by wide UD or a TKO in the mid rounds FOR SURE!!!!!!!!!!!! I am willing to bet on that. Barrera 5'5 and Khan is nearly 6ft tall and as fast or maybe even faster than Pacquiao. I do not see a Barrera win and although he may have been one of the greatest featherweight fighters of all time, his time is up!
Maxy
I actually think Khan is faster than Pac to be honest. He hits pretty hard and is also accurate with his shots....thing is, his chin is made of cheap grade china. No doubt about it, he's got a glass jaw.

I didn't see Barrera's last fight but I'm guessing he must be shot to shit to be lined up for this fight. Seriously, I like Khan's skills, speed, accuracy....but his chin will never be good enough to take a world class shot. I just think that Barrera must surely be able to land one or two decent punches...and that will be enough to send Amir to the deck.

Maybe Frank Warren has got this dead right. Top notch match making if he has.
The CEO
Maxy
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Jan 17 2009, 10:52 AM) [snapback]420665[/snapback]

I know a lot of people who paid 15 for that! Mugs!
Thegreatequalizer
i was pretty surprised about this fight. i think it's a really bad choice for khan. barrera is a crafty veteran, i think way too crafty for khan, but i've been wrong before.
JLUVBABY
khan has caught a lot of flack but could it be prescott is really the goods?... i dont know much about khan and nuthin bout prescott can anyone enlighten me on this?
Snoop
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Jan 19 2009, 10:20 AM) [snapback]420954[/snapback]
khan has caught a lot of flack but could it be prescott is really the goods?... i dont know much about khan and nuthin bout prescott can anyone enlighten me on this?

I think Prescott is your typical Colombian fighter. Monstrous power but not very much technic. Most solid boxers can expose fighters like that, i.e. Edison Miranda.
Jack 1000
You know what?

Given the UK venue and what we are seeing with hometown judging in recent past, I'm changing my Barrera pick. Kahn by decision whether fair or not. The main issue, Frank Warren cannot afford to have his meal ticket suffer another loss.

Jack
Snoop
I've been thinking about this for a while and you know, Khan only really lost to Prescott because he was foolish and tried to trade after being hurt. Had he been smarter and stuck to his skills and boxed, he could have won a decision or even came back to KO Prescott.
torvix2000
I've seen a clip of Pac and Khan sparring. Khan is quick and was giving Pac troubles. Well, it was just sparring. If Khan gets hit with a dizzying shot...
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Jan 19 2009, 04:45 PM) [snapback]421019[/snapback]
You know what?

Given the UK venue and what we are seeing with hometown judging in recent past, I'm changing my Barrera pick. Kahn by decision whether fair or not. The main issue, Frank Warren cannot afford to have his meal ticket suffer another loss.

Jack

Jack,

Lets give the usual suspects their props in this particular case. Sure I agree Warren has kept his meal tickets protected in the past, but give him kudos for rolling the dice on this one. He is taking a calculated gamble and as a fight fan I'm glad he has.

I don't think Khan's major problem is Barerra outpointing him, it's Barerra knocking him out. No judges or venue can protect him from that.

I'd say he's taking this fight primarily on Roach's feedback and figures that the risk is worth the reward.

What that means for us as fans is a genuinely intriguing fight where we get to see if MAB has anything left in the tank or can Khan pop the upset. As I've said before Manny was in a very similiar position when he fought MAB and he seems to be doing OK now.

I like this fight so much for Khan I may even lay money on it. His odds will be pushed out because of MAB's record and legacy, plus his last knockout loss to Prescott, which means in a 2 horse race where only 1 horse has to fall to win, you may end up getting good odds on the young Brit. Don't sleep on it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.