Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Joel Julio v. James Kirkland
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Elijah
Both fights should be very good. Thoughts on who you think will win?

"Junior middleweights Joel "Love Child" Julio and James Kirkland both have enormous power in their fists and have scored several highlight-reel knockouts. Now, they'll turn those fists on each other in a potentially action-packed fight matching two of boxing's most exciting young fighters.

Kirkland promoter Golden Boy and Julio co-promoter Main Events came to terms Wednesday for them to meet March 7 at a site to be determined in the main event of an HBO "Boxing After Dark" card.

"It's a dangerous fight," Kirkland manager Cameron Dunkin told ESPN.com. "Julio can really punch. I'm not afraid of his boxing ability as much as I am that he can hit you on the chin and hurt you. But I have a lot of belief in James, who can also really punch. Winning a fight like this will really get him to the next level. I think it's the right kind of fight for him at this stage of his career to find out where he is at."

Julio, 23, the 2005 ESPN.com prospect of the year from Colombia, is coming off a competitive decision loss to 154-pound titleholder Sergei Dzindziruk in Germany on Nov. 1. Julio got the fight after former junior middleweight titleholder Sergio Mora passed on the fight, Golden Boy matchmaker Eric Gomez said.

Even though Kirkland, 24, of Austin, Texas, is older than Julio (34-2, 31 KOs), he isn't nearly as experienced against the caliber of fighters Julio has faced. But Kirkland (24-0, 21 KOs) is an explosive puncher coming off an eighth-round destruction of former "Contender" participant Brian Vera on Nov. 22 on HBO.

"It's a hell of a fight," said Gomez, who was finalizing the paperwork. "We know we are taking a big risk with Kirkland, but we have to make good fights. If our guys want to be on HBO, they have to fight tough fights."

Also set for the televised undercard: Junior welterweight Victor Ortiz, the 2008 ESPN.com prospect of the year, will take on former titleholder Vivian Harris in a crossroads bout.

"We have agreed to the terms, but I am waiting for the paperwork. But the fight is on," Harris promoter Gary Shaw said. "For Vivian, if he wants to continue the quest, he has to beat Victor Ortiz or there may not be a tomorrow. For Ortiz, it will be a major notch on his belt to beat somebody like Vivian Harris."

Ortiz (23-1-1, 18 KOs), 21, is one of the fastest rising talents in boxing. Given the prime co-featured slot on the Dec. 6 Manny Pacquiao-Oscar De La Hoya undercard, Ortiz overwhelmed Jeff Resto for a second-round knockout in his closing argument for prospect of the year honors.

Harris (29-3-1, 19 KOs), 30, lost his 140-pound title in September 2007 when he was brutally knocked out in the seventh round by Junior Witter in England. Harris won his only fight since, a sixth-round knockout of Octavio Narvaez in October. However, Harris had a very tough time in the bout, suffering two hard knockdowns in the first round.

Golden Boy is also in talks with HBO about expanding the card into a tripleheader to include former two-time featherweight titleholder Robert Guerrero, 25, who recently signed with Golden Boy after winning an arbitration case against his former promoter. Guerrero first returns to action to face Edel Ruiz after an 11-month layoff on Jan. 24 on the Antonio Margarito-Shane Mosley undercard in Los Angeles.

Guerrero (22-1-1, 15 KOs), now campaigning as a junior lightweight, is from the San Jose, Calif., area, where Golden Boy would like to put the show, Gomez said."
Lil-lightsout
Give me Julio by upset KO over Kirkland. Ortiz will KO that glass jawed Harris for sure.
Snoop
Give me Julio by KO. Both have enough TNT in their gloves to score KOs but Joel's experience will make the difference. Plus, Kirkland just gets hits too damn much.
Mean Mister Mustard
Kirkland didn't impress me much in his last fight. He has potential though and if he can polish up he might be a force.

KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Julio has fought, and beaten the much better opposition. He beat Ishe Smith just last year, and has been in the right with title holders, and contenders. Kirkland is a wild slugger, but he never stops coming. Julio isn't the best boxer, but I think he has enough skills to keep off Kirkland. Kirkland has been down before too, and Julio has some power. I just don't Kirkland can win this fight, but if he catches Julio with some shots it could change the whole fight. Ill take Julio though.

Ortiz will crush Harris. I don't know how much Harris has left, but Ortiz is on the rise and possibly the next big things. He's had big, early KO wins against Maussa and Resto. Both were accomplished fighters at one point. Harris was at one point on the edge to being a big time fighter, but ironically Maussa ruined that.
JonnyBlaze
If ya ask me,you guys sound kinda crazy..I don't like the Kirkland/Julio match up at all..Kirkland shouldn't move up in class like this..Julio is not the guy for him to move up against..Julio has got this fight..I'm a fan of Kirkland and I think it's cool Wolfe is training him but I just am not likin this match up..Lil-lightsout,how would it be a upset if Kirkland lost to Julio by KO??Julio has KO'd everyone he has beat except 3 and has only lost 2 fights..

Harris isn't what he used to be..I still really like him but this fight is a decent fight for Ortiz..Harris is extremely inactive..In 2 years he's had 3 fights..He is going to be rusty and I think Ortiz will beat him..
BigG
I was thinking the same thing. Julio by KTFO...
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Jan 16 2009, 07:54 PM) [snapback]420618[/snapback]
Lil-lightsout,how would it be a upset if Kirkland lost to Julio by KO??Julio has KO'd everyone he has beat except 3 and has only lost 2 fights..

Because Kirkland is undefeated and Julio was embarrassed by Quintana and I forget who else beat him. I did not mean it would be an upset if Julio won by KO, just a minor upset if Julio got the win. I re-read what I wrote and I could have worded it better. So basically I am picking Julio to win, and in the process by a KO.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Jan 16 2009, 06:54 PM) [snapback]420618[/snapback]
If ya ask me,you guys sound kinda crazy..I don't like the Kirkland/Julio match up at all..Kirkland shouldn't move up in class like this..Julio is not the guy for him to move up against..Julio has got this fight..I'm a fan of Kirkland and I think it's cool Wolfe is training him but I just am not likin this match up..Lil-lightsout,how would it be a upset if Kirkland lost to Julio by KO??Julio has KO'd everyone he has beat except 3 and has only lost 2 fights..

Harris isn't what he used to be..I still really like him but this fight is a decent fight for Ortiz..Harris is extremely inactive..In 2 years he's had 3 fights..He is going to be rusty and I think Ortiz will beat him..

i'm with you on this one jonny boy.. you callin this one perfect.. kirkland is not ready for this seasoned of a ko artist just yet.. still a little too green... in my opinion... and ortiz should destroy harris...
stateofthegame
I agree, Kirkland is in over his head with Julio. Julio has a good chin, and Kirkland's chin is a question mark IMO. Both have power, but the experience will be the difference because like some one said Kirkland takes too many punches.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Jan 16 2009, 10:43 PM) [snapback]420632[/snapback]
Because Kirkland is undefeated and Julio was embarrassed by Quintana and I forget who else beat him. I did not mean it would be an upset if Julio won by KO, just a minor upset if Julio got the win. I re-read what I wrote and I could have worded it better. So basically I am picking Julio to win, and in the process by a KO.

Julio just lost his last fight actually..I don't even know how to say the dudes name so I guess we all we forget his second loss..Do you think it'd be a upset because Julio isn't a rising prospect anymore and that very few people have heard of him??I'd want Kirkland to win but I have to go with Julio..
pcraw
Kirkland is way to hittable. Julio will pick his spots and bust James up. Ortiz should beat Harris.
Big Slim Sweet
Both of Julio's losses were to southpaws so perhaps Kirkland's people are banking on this. I'm with the majority here though, I see Julio coming through with the spectacular KO around round 7 after absorbing a ton of firepower early.

I expect Ortiz to blow Harris away and I expect to enjoy seeing it. I just never liked Vivian at all. Dude was so overrated at one time prior to getting humiliated by Maussa. Greg Leon used to really ride his nuts something ferocious.
JD
I will go with both Kirkland and Ortiz.
Snoop
QUOTE(JD @ Jan 18 2009, 11:22 PM) [snapback]420870[/snapback]
I will go with both Kirkland and Ortiz.

Wow. Interesting coming from you. Why Kirkland?
JD
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Jan 18 2009, 11:24 PM) [snapback]420937[/snapback]
Wow. Interesting coming from you. Why Kirkland?

Because Julio seems almost content fighting at a slow pace if he cannot land his bombs early. I think that slow pace will be what plays into Kirkland's hands and lets him get his work done - Julio is comfortable leading, and I don't think he will lead here...plus, if Kirkland loses, he will have to deal with Ann Wolfe. Would you want her angry at you?
Spyder
You know Anne has her way with him...
Snoop
QUOTE(JD @ Jan 20 2009, 02:05 PM) [snapback]421119[/snapback]
Because Julio seems almost content fighting at a slow pace if he cannot land his bombs early. I think that slow pace will be what plays into Kirkland's hands and lets him get his work done - Julio is comfortable leading, and I don't think he will lead here...plus, if Kirkland loses, he will have to deal with Ann Wolfe. Would you want her angry at you?

Yeah but I think if Kirkland puts on the pressure, Julio will respond. My whole thing is that Kirkland has never faced someone with the power of Julio and tends to get hit ALOT when trading.

But yeah, Ann Wolfe is one scary woman.
JD
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Jan 20 2009, 12:05 PM) [snapback]421125[/snapback]
Yeah but I think if Kirkland puts on the pressure, Julio will respond. My whole thing is that Kirkland has never faced someone with the power of Julio and tends to get hit ALOT when trading.

But yeah, Ann Wolfe is one scary woman.

Julio could clip him...but I like Kirkland's handspeed and pace, over Julio's in this one. Plus...Ann Wolfe.

I won't argue too much here, because in a fight like this - anything can happen. I like Kirkland though.
Snoop
QUOTE(JD @ Jan 20 2009, 06:12 PM) [snapback]421126[/snapback]
Julio could clip him...but I like Kirkland's handspeed and pace, over Julio's in this one. Plus...Ann Wolfe.

LOL. I love how the fear of one's trainer is playing into the equation here.

JD
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Jan 20 2009, 01:22 PM) [snapback]421133[/snapback]
LOL. I love how the fear of one's trainer is playing into the equation here.

Not just any trainer...Ann Wolfe.
Big Slim Sweet
Did Ann Wolfe retire from women's boxing because there were no women left willing to fight her? I know that's why Lucia Rijker retired.
Spyder
I thought Lucia retired because she wanted to start a family...

Speaking of which, if a woman has a license to fight and gets pregnant...would she be allowed to fight?
Snoop
QUOTE(JD @ Jan 20 2009, 07:46 PM) [snapback]421137[/snapback]
Not just any trainer...Ann Wolfe.

I just keep imagining future conversations about predicting wins and people saying, "Nah, so-and-so is more scared of their trainer than their opponent of theirs. That'll make the difference."

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. It's just funny that it happens to be a factor.
Snoop
QUOTE(Spyder @ Jan 20 2009, 08:09 PM) [snapback]421139[/snapback]

Speaking of which, if a woman has a license to fight and gets pregnant...would she be allowed to fight?

If they pass all the necessary medical tests, I don't see why not. Plus, when the fuck did boxing, on a general scale, care about the fighters in the ring?

Could be wrong though. Don't know enough about pregnancy to stand firm on it.
Spyder
I think taking repeated shots to the womb might be hazardous to the fetus...so it's not really the "fighter's" safety that they'd be concerned with.

But then again, preggo's are allowed to buy cigarettes, so what do I know?

laugh.gif
Snoop
QUOTE(Spyder @ Jan 20 2009, 08:51 PM) [snapback]421145[/snapback]
I think taking repeated shots to the womb might be hazardous to the fetus...so it's not really the "fighter's" safety that they'd be concerned with.

But then again, preggo's are allowed to buy cigarettes, so what do I know?

laugh.gif

I just can't imagine the boxing industry really giving a fuck about fighter's lives in general, family included.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Spyder @ Jan 20 2009, 03:09 PM) [snapback]421139[/snapback]

Could be right. I thought I read something once about it though. Maybe it was related to her inactivity.

But what about the Wolf? Did she realize no way in hell Laila Ali was ever going to fight her so she just said fuck it?

The Wolf would have KO'd Ali inside 2 rounds. Rijker would have KO'd Cristy Martin inside 3.

That's about all I know of women's boxing.
JonnyBlaze
Wolfe/Ali would of been the first ever female mega fight..I don't know who I'd pick to win..
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Jan 21 2009, 12:03 AM) [snapback]421222[/snapback]
Wolfe/Ali would of been the first ever female mega fight..I don't know who I'd pick to win..

i'd have picked the wolf but ali was tougher than maybe i wanna give her credit for... but ann wolfe is one tough lady... rijker vs one of the two would have been good too.. too bad they never got to mix it up to find out who was the best...
Spyder
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Jan 21 2009, 02:03 AM) [snapback]421224[/snapback]
i'd have picked the wolf but ali was tougher than maybe i wanna give her credit for... but ann wolfe is one tough lady... rijker vs one of the two would have been good too.. too bad they never got to mix it up to find out who was the best...

Rijker would've gotten killed by those two beasts. She was only like 130lbs.
Big Slim Sweet
Yeah Lucia was probably too small, but that chick could really fight. I actually enjoyed watching her.

I saw this documentary about her called "Shadowboxer" around ten years ago at this small film festival. Another female boxer (couldn't tell you her name) directed it. Anyway, there was a great sequence where Lucia was away at traning camp preparing for a fight. Michael Bentt (that dude that once KO'd Morrison in one round) ran the camp, and James Toney was there too talking some smack. There was a scene where they were all eating dinner at the table together and Toney was fucking with Rijker. It was pretty funny. She handled it real well. I remember he nicknamed her Rijker's Island.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Spyder @ Jan 21 2009, 06:28 AM) [snapback]421243[/snapback]
Rijker would've gotten killed by those two beasts. She was only like 130lbs.

i think rijker could have held her own.. she probably gets beat in those fights but she was a damn good fighter... i think she would have been competitive...
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
James Kirkland is this years Edison Miranda.

I have much respect for anyone who steps in the ring (except for that douchebag Sam Peter) and Kirkland's story is a heartwarming one, but sooner or later the fairytale is gonna end and it could be this fight.

He's just too wild and hittable, and his impetuosity will get the better of him. I'd say a good fight to chuck a few bucks on Julio.

MarzB
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Jan 21 2009, 12:45 PM) [snapback]421263[/snapback]
Yeah Lucia was probably too small, but that chick could really fight. I actually enjoyed watching her.

I saw this documentary about her called "Shadowboxer" around ten years ago at this small film festival. Another female boxer (couldn't tell you her name) directed it. Anyway, there was a great sequence where Lucia was away at traning camp preparing for a fight. Michael Bentt (that dude that once KO'd Morrison in one round) ran the camp, and James Toney was there too talking some smack. There was a scene where they were all eating dinner at the table together and Toney was fucking with Rijker. It was pretty funny. She handled it real well. I remember he nicknamed her Rijker's Island.

That was an AWESOME documentary that I highly recommend ANY boxing fan to watch. Despite the weight difference I think she would have EASILY beaten Ali. Wolfe would have been another story.

Kirland's not at all impressive to me. I'm more interested in the Vivian Harris fight. Viv should just fight his fellow Brooklynite in Zab Judah and have an "under-achiever" box off for real. Viv I thought had all the tools to really be something but he seems (like Zab) to be very mentally UNDISCIPLINED.. His last fight I caught on youtube literally against a dude who was the equivalent of a barnstormer he was knocked down in the first round and fought for his dear life to win that match.

This was one of those, "stay busy" fights and he was fighting for his life. Tommy Brooks is his trainer now and it "seems" that Tommy gets fighters that are undisciplined and he can't seem to correct that.

To me when a boxer (like Viv) goes trainer hopping, it's the beginning of the end. He's had Stewart, Lennox Blackmore and now Brook, who next Mickey Ward??
Snoop
QUOTE(MarzB @ Jan 24 2009, 08:37 PM) [snapback]421728[/snapback]
That was an AWESOME documentary that I highly recommend ANY boxing fan to watch. Despite the weight difference I think she would have EASILY beaten Ali. Wolfe would have been another story.

I have that documentary. I'll check it out when I'm done studying. Fucking hate the LSATs man.
MarzB
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Jan 24 2009, 05:38 PM) [snapback]421743[/snapback]
I have that documentary. I'll check it out when I'm done studying. Fucking hate the LSATs man.

Good luck on that. What kind of law are you eventually going to practice??
Snoop
QUOTE(MarzB @ Jan 24 2009, 10:44 PM) [snapback]421744[/snapback]
Good luck on that. What kind of law are you eventually going to practice??

Thanks man. I appreciate that. I just spend too much damn time on these forums. LOL. But the weird thing is, I think it's helping in some ways.

I'm interested in Environmental and Intellectual Property Law. But we'll see. Things change.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.