Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Merchant/Lampley quotes
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Al Hata

Another year is upon us and I can't wait to get my friends together, get the cocktails flowing, and spend a Saturday night with Jim and Larry watching the fights. Here are my 2 favorite quotes from both these guys:

Jim Lamps- "What a pristine left hook from DLH. That hook is just as good in the ring as it is in bed."

Larry Merchant- "Would the Titanic....want a rematch...with the iceberg?"

alaganza
I do remember Merchant referring to Wladamir as a big beautiful man.
Big Slim Sweet
My favorite Larry Mechant line was during Lewis vs. Briggs

Foreman: "Every tick of the clock is a tick in Shannon Briggs' favor."

At that exact moment, Lewis drops Briggs.

Merchant: "That wasn't a tick in Shannon Briggs' favor."
Snoop
QUOTE(alaganza @ Jan 18 2009, 11:43 PM) [snapback]420874[/snapback]
I do remember Merchant referring to Wladamir as a big beautiful man.

LOL. So do I.

I think Lampley also said something about one of the Klitschkos being "majestic".
alaganza
Another good one was when Merchant was remarking about Judah's platinum teeth. I think he said it was too bad they were enclosed in glass.

Larry Merchant is the guy you love to hate.

Personally, I hope he never retires. drinks.gif
Lil-lightsout
I know I am going to screw this up, so I am sure someone can help me. I think it was an Oscar PPV, and he was coming out to like mexican music, and Merchant said "what is this crap?" or something like that.

Him and Hopkins after the Hakaar fight, he was giving it to Bernard and he mentioned to him about how he could not even sell out his own hometown. Again, I am just going by memory, and I only saw that terrible fight once.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Jan 19 2009, 03:36 AM) [snapback]420919[/snapback]
Him and Hopkins after the Hakaar fight, he was giving it to Bernard and he mentioned to him about how he could not even sell out his own hometown. Again, I am just going by memory, and I only saw that terrible fight once.

The quote of the night was "60/40 I kick yo ass!"

Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Jan 18 2009, 11:36 PM) [snapback]420919[/snapback]
I know I am going to screw this up, so I am sure someone can help me. I think it was an Oscar PPV, and he was coming out to like mexican music, and Merchant said "what is this crap?" or something like that.

I remember something about this. This was one of Oscar's early PPV's. I think Merchant went on to say Oscar was blatantly trying to cater to the Mexican fan base that had been indifferent towards him. Didn't he get banned from doing the next DLH fight as a result of saying that?
Mean Mister Mustard
During the Barerra-Hamed fight, after Barerra slammed Hamed's head on the post, Lampley said "I don't think he likes him George." which prompted George Foreman to say "I don't think you like him either." Then Lampley said "I like him fine." Foreman then said "No no you said some things, that I don't think you like him." Followed by an awkward silence.
BGv2.0
I always get a kick out of the often INSANE crap these two can come up with....but every once in awhile one will piss me off.

George Foreman/Evander Holyfield.....

Here you have a dude old as hell fighting a guy that just a few years prior threw seemingly thousands of punches in the Qawi fight.....Foreman being smart is covering up from a Holyfield barrage....and Merchant busts out.

"Foreman looks like an old man dazed in the street"! WTF!!???

Anyhow....me and my cousin were rooting for Big George....my other older cousin and his buddies were not....so they all got a big laugh out of that one!

bastards!
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Jan 19 2009, 02:12 AM) [snapback]420948[/snapback]
I always get a kick out of the often INSANE crap these two can come up with....but every once in awhile one will piss me off.

George Foreman/Evander Holyfield.....

Here you have a dude old as hell fighting a guy that just a few years prior threw seemingly thousands of punches in the Qawi fight.....Foreman being smart is covering up from a Holyfield barrage....and Merchant busts out.

"Foreman looks like an old man dazed in the street"! WTF!!???

Anyhow....me and my cousin were rooting for Big George....my other older cousin and his buddies were not....so they all got a big laugh out of that one!

bastards!

ya know i always thought foreman could have won that fight with holyfield.. dundee changed his style and he came out triing to box with holyfield.. i always felt had foreman came out like he normally did in fights and bombed away he could have made that out come diffrent... once he finally started setting down on his punches later in the fight he had holyfield holding on and running the rest of the fight... by that time all holyfield had to do was survuve...
alaganza
He once remarked "Chris Byrd has two punches. Pitty and Pat"

Larry angers me just about every time out. But boxing on HBO isn't the same when he's not there.
megaholic
I think James Toney was fighting John Ruiz or maybe it was the first bout with Rahman, but Jim Lampley made a comment about James' gut "Looked like a fat tub of goo"

That one gave me a good laugh.
Snoop
QUOTE(megaholic @ Jan 19 2009, 05:57 PM) [snapback]420976[/snapback]
I think James Toney was fighting John Ruiz or maybe it was the first bout with Rahman, but Jim Lampley made a comment about James' gut "Looked like a fat tub of goo"

That one gave me a good laugh.

One of them also said something about James Toney resembling a bowling ball. LOL.
Lil-lightsout
Easy on the Toney remarks guys.
Snoop
Don't shoot the messenger bro...
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Jan 19 2009, 01:55 PM) [snapback]420994[/snapback]
Don't shoot the messenger bro...

laugh.gif

Damn you Toney coming into the ring looking like that!!!
Snoop
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Jan 19 2009, 08:38 PM) [snapback]421002[/snapback]
laugh.gif

Damn you Toney coming into the ring looking like that!!!

LOL. Seriously though, if Toney didn't have an eating problem, think about how great he could have been.
Spyder
I remember one fight...can't quite remember who was fighting...but Larry Merchant said

"A popular movie out is Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon...this is more like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Peacock."
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Jan 19 2009, 02:40 PM) [snapback]421004[/snapback]
LOL. Seriously though, if Toney didn't have an eating problem, think about how great he could have been.

I know. I think about it alot. Such a shame he did not have the habits of say a Hopkins or Margarito.
BigG
I read that James Toney only likes to spar..he doesn't like doing the other stuff....I think Freddy Roach said that.
BGv2.0
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jan 19 2009, 05:18 PM) [snapback]421016[/snapback]
I read that James Toney only likes to spar..he doesn't like doing the other stuff....I think Freddy Roach said that.

But that's when it's up to the trainer to get inventive.....as in tying a fishing pole to his back with a piece of KFC hanging from it....he would chase that for miles! laugh.gif
Snoop
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jan 19 2009, 10:18 PM) [snapback]421016[/snapback]

Yeah I heard that's true. In fact I read he's been like that ever since his super middleweight days. I guess to be fair, running is more about keeping the weight down rather than raising endurance. Ever since he moved into heavyweight and the whole weight limit was thrown out the window, so was the running.

Don't get me wrong, running expands the lungs, but Toney's never really had a problem with endurance (until as of late), and the sport is really about learning how to breathe.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Jan 19 2009, 05:51 PM) [snapback]421028[/snapback]
But that's when it's up to the trainer to get inventive.....as in tying a fishing pole to his back with a piece of KFC hanging from it....he would chase that for miles! laugh.gif

No trainer can control this guy, he is going to do what HE wants to do, end of story.

As far as only sparring, no wonder he is the most relaxed fighter ever in the ring. We all heard the stories of his sparring sessions, I would have loved to have seen some of those as he constantly is talking smack.
Snoop
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Jan 20 2009, 12:31 AM) [snapback]421042[/snapback]
No trainer can control this guy, he is going to do what HE wants to do, end of story.

And that, unfortunately, was the cause of his downfall, or at least what kept him from his potential greatness.
Haili
Wasn't it DLH - Chavez when DLH came out to the mariachi band? I remember that Larry replied "This sucks!" and then went on a rant about how DLH was pretending to be Mexican to win over fans. That was the moment when Larry became my favorite boxing commentator of all time.
Imperius3
My all time favorite Merchant quote was when Rahman got KTFO of the ring by Maskaev and then the computer monitor falls on his nuts, and then Merchant says, "Yeah, and he doesn't look like he's gonna get up!" Then Lampley goes, "No not any time soon!"
Snoop
QUOTE(Haili @ Jan 20 2009, 06:44 AM) [snapback]421110[/snapback]
Wasn't it DLH - Chavez when DLH came out to the mariachi band? I remember that Larry replied "This sucks!" and then went on a rant about how DLH was pretending to be Mexican to win over fans. That was the moment when Larry became my favorite boxing commentator of all time.

laugh.gif
stateofthegame
When Vitali Klitschko Knocked out Kirk Johnson Merchants comment at the time of the KO was "And he just got harpooned Jim." Or something to that extent.
Spyder
I think that Larry was calling Kirk Johnson a whale... cool.gif

(sarcasticly stating the obvious)
King Eugene
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Jan 18 2009, 10:48 PM) [snapback]420924[/snapback]
The quote of the night was "60/40 I kick yo ass!"

Thats my boy Roy!
King Eugene
I dont have an exact favorite Larry quote but I have some favorite moments.

To me its funny as hell when after a fighter gets knocked out he goes back to the dressing room to interview them along with a monitor asking them to commentate (if thats a word) step by step what happen up until the knockout.

The two funniest ones where Jermaine Taylor after the Pavlik fight and Montel after the Roy knockout. LOL damn those shits where funny as hell.

Another funny one is when Montel claimed to be winning the fight up until the DQ against Roy and Larry was like "actually you where losing on every card but one"

Montel - yea I was winning on every card until he gave me that shot to the back of the head

Larry - "interupting" Actually Montel you where losing on two scorecards (while showing him the cards on the monitors)"
Mean Mister Mustard
How about after Forrest seemed to get a gift decision against Quartey and Forrest started the interview by saying he would like to thank his promoter and his fans then Larry jumps in and asks "Would you like to thank the judges as well?" Ouch.
stateofthegame
He was always funny when Butterbean was on an undercard. Him and Lampley would make fun of that guy constantly until Foreman would get so pissed off that he refused to talk to them while the fight was going on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.