Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mosley/Margs question
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Al Hata

I can't remember the last time an HBO card (not HBO after dark) began at 10 pm. This has me concerned that the main even won't start until midnight or something. Does anybody know how many undercards will be televised or whats up with this?
Spyder
I just went to the HBO website to see if that time was correct and saw an article titled "The Great Mexican Fighters."

I then read a list of Alexis Arguello, Roberto Duran, Wilfredo Gomez...

I guess HBO considers anyone who's hispanic, Mexican! lol

http://www.hbo.com/boxing/events/2009/0124...t_mexicans.html
D-MARV
QUOTE(Spyder @ Jan 21 2009, 09:50 AM) [snapback]421248[/snapback]
I just went to the HBO website to see if that time was correct and saw an article titled "The Great Mexican Fighters."

LOL... OH MY GOD! That's funny.
BigG
How could they possibly call Joe Napoles and Carlos Monzon mexicans
Spyder
Miguel Cotto or the funniest...Panama Al Brown. laugh.gif
EpTXCHAMP
thats the way it works when fights are on the west coast. P-will vs margs started kinda late too Due to it being held in cali as well. I think there is only gonna be one fight televised.... hopefully
Big Slim Sweet
No televised undercard.
JLUVBABY
hbo is killing me with these single fight shows.. they used to show at least 2 fights per card... very rarely would there only be 1 fight....
JD
You will get a good hour of prefight buildup.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Jan 21 2009, 01:01 PM) [snapback]421274[/snapback]
hbo is killing me with these single fight shows.. they used to show at least 2 fights per card... very rarely would there only be 1 fight....

I too wish they would show another fight, to get ready for the Mosley-Margarito fight.
Chi-Town
QUOTE(Spyder @ Jan 21 2009, 08:50 AM) [snapback]421248[/snapback]

I'm not hispanic, but by virtue of spending my teen years boxing, playing baseball and working minimum wage in chicago, I've become fluent in Spanish. When I was much younger, I didn't really understand why latinos got so worked up over you calling them the wrong nationality. I didn't get it until I went to Mexico with my girlfriend when I was 19. The whole time out there, people were calling us Canadian (the resort we were at was VERY popular amongst canadians during the winter) and it really burned me up because they had that same "what's the difference attitude. Now, I always do my best to correct people on that.
thefloatingmonkey
I thought they were going to show Guerrero's fight against Ruiz too...
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jan 21 2009, 12:26 PM) [snapback]421253[/snapback]
How could they possibly call Joe Napoles and Carlos Monzon mexicans

Yeah that article was funny but Jose Napoles did consider himself mexican despite being born in Cuba he fled to mexico to start his career he represented mexico when he fought and considered himself mexican. And as we all know Duran is hafl Mexican from his father side but was born and raised in Panama.

I don't know where the hell they got Jofre(brazilian)Arguello(Nicaraguan)Monzon(Aregintine) from.
Snoop
QUOTE(Chi-Town @ Jan 21 2009, 11:01 PM) [snapback]421306[/snapback]
I'm not hispanic, but by virtue of spending my teen years boxing, playing baseball and working minimum wage in chicago, I've become fluent in Spanish. When I was much younger, I didn't really understand why latinos got so worked up over you calling them the wrong nationality. I didn't get it until I went to Mexico with my girlfriend when I was 19. The whole time out there, people were calling us Canadian (the resort we were at was VERY popular amongst canadians during the winter) and it really burned me up because they had that same "what's the difference attitude. Now, I always do my best to correct people on that.

I know for Asian people, we get worked up if people call us the wrong nationality, mostly because of the fucked up shit that happened between the countries. Like calling a Korean, a Japanese person would piss Koreans off, given all the fucked up shit Japan has done to Korea.

I used to get worked up about it too, but I have to admit, sometimes it is hard to tell. LOL. It all depends on the reason people ask.
kidbazooka1
I can usually tell a filipino apart from other asians though when I traveled to the philpines recently I was shocked to see many filipino people that could have passed for Latino. Japanese, Koreans and some chinese are very hard to tell apart for me. As for Latino's we can be brown, black or white skinned.
Fitz
Generally I am good at picking asians, I get a lot wrong, but I can tell roughly what area. I feel I am good at picking Thais/Cambodians/Filipinos/Vietnamese, though they can sometimes look similar. They tend to be a little darker, more of an orangry/brown colour. Then I can kind of tell some Japanese, they are usually fairer and there hair looks a little different, they tend to have slightly more trendy hairstyles as well. I suppose I can get confused a bit after with Chinese and Koreans at times, but generally I can have a rough estimate.
D-MARV
What if Shane pulls off the Mild Upset? Where would this put him in the Pound for Pound rankings?
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Jan 22 2009, 03:28 AM) [snapback]421376[/snapback]
I know for Asian people, we get worked up if people call us the wrong nationality, mostly because of the fucked up shit that happened between the countries. Like calling a Korean, a Japanese person would piss Koreans off, given all the fucked up shit Japan has done to Korea.

My wife is Vietnamese but always gets mistaken for Filipino and it pisses her off. laugh.gif

QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 22 2009, 12:32 PM) [snapback]421417[/snapback]
What if Shane pulls off the Mild Upset? Where would this put him in the Pound for Pound rankings?

I'd say between 5-8.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 22 2009, 06:55 AM) [snapback]421390[/snapback]
Generally I am good at picking asians, I get a lot wrong, but I can tell roughly what area. I feel I am good at picking Thais/Cambodians/Filipinos/Vietnamese, though they can sometimes look similar. They tend to be a little darker, more of an orangry/brown colour. Then I can kind of tell some Japanese, they are usually fairer and there hair looks a little different, they tend to have slightly more trendy hairstyles as well. I suppose I can get confused a bit after with Chinese and Koreans at times, but generally I can have a rough estimate.

C'mon, CEO will tell you what Koreans really look like. They're the ones with the big fucking heads, you can see that shit from miles apparently.
Snoop
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Jan 22 2009, 07:42 PM) [snapback]421441[/snapback]
C'mon, CEO will tell you what Koreans really look like. They're the ones with the big fucking heads, you can see that shit from miles apparently.

LMFAO! I remember that post.
Snoop
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 22 2009, 12:55 PM) [snapback]421390[/snapback]

Most of my friends are Asian so I can tell a Chinese from a Korean from a Japanese. The Southeast Asians (Thais/Cambodian/Laos/Vietnamese) are a bit harder since I'm East Asian, although some Vietnamese people look Chinese (again, because of the history).

I can usually tell by the last name and almost always tell when they speak English.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Jan 22 2009, 04:54 PM) [snapback]421456[/snapback]
Most of my friends are Asian so I can tell a Chinese from a Korean from a Japanese. The Southeast Asians (Thais/Cambodian/Laos/Vietnamese) are a bit harder since I'm East Asian, although some Vietnamese people look Chinese (again, because of the history).

I can usually tell by the last name and almost always tell when they speak English.

yup you can pretty much tell by the lat names also unlike other asians alot of filipino's have spanish names aswell.
Snoop
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Jan 22 2009, 10:41 PM) [snapback]421469[/snapback]
yup you can pretty much tell by the lat names also unlike other asians alot of filipino's have spanish names aswell.

Yup. Filipinos were "forced" to take Spanish last names for asylum under the Catholic church during one of the many colonizations that happened in that country. Changing their last name was the requirement.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.