Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Margarito's Illegal Hand Wraps
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Imperius3
Brother Naz once again discovers illegal hand wrapping, this time with Margarito.

This is very sad if true, but not really surprising to me. We have seen Margarito fight with dirty tactics before, such as hitting late and hitting a fighter when he is down. Not really out of character for him, IMO.

Very, very sad night for his fans.
gods son
for this fight???
The CEO
Margarito's biggest fans are bleeding out in a warm bath right about now, Imperius.....
Imperius3
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Jan 24 2009, 10:29 PM) [snapback]421896[/snapback]
Margarito's biggest fans are bleeding out in a warm bath right about now, Imperius.....

I wouldn't be surprised if Sal slit his own throat tonight either.
Imperius3
QUOTE(gods son @ Jan 24 2009, 10:28 PM) [snapback]421894[/snapback]
for this fight???

Yes.

Margarito was caught with a plaster like substance in his gloves. It took 3 re-wraps for Margarito to get it right.

Using plaster is a serious offense. You could kill someone with that. Not even Trinidad did that, he just used a lot of tape.
alaganza
It's very unfortunate for Margarito. It really makes you wonder if this was a business as usual approach for his camp.

If so he may have ruined some good fighters along the way.
gods son
QUOTE(Imperius3 @ Jan 25 2009, 12:12 AM) [snapback]421949[/snapback]
Yes.

Margarito was caught with a plaster like substance in his gloves. It took 3 re-wraps for Margarito to get it right.

Using plaster is a serious offense. You could kill someone with that. Not even Trinidad did that, he just used a lot of tape.

yeah i know like what happened to Billy Collins jnr.
Tony should be heavily fined!!!
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(alaganza @ Jan 25 2009, 01:13 AM) [snapback]421950[/snapback]
It's very unfortunate for Margarito. It really makes you wonder if this was a business as usual approach for his camp.

If so he may have ruined some good fighters along the way.

What gets me is if Marg made a habit of doing that why didn't anyone else catch this before. Maybe Naz

o do that sh*t himself with past fighter so he knew what to look out for. Cause I fight it very strange that he cought both Tito and marg with the same sh*t.
Imperius3
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Jan 24 2009, 11:24 PM) [snapback]421957[/snapback]
What gets me is if Marg made a habit of doing that why didn't anyone else catch this before. Maybe Naz
o do that sh*t himself with past fighter so he knew what to look out for. Cause I fight it very strange that he cought both Tito and marg with the same sh*t.

I suppose because it doesn't happen very often so trainers tend to overlook it. I don't know what the deal is but trainers need to be looking out for this kind of shit. They can't assume everyone is honest. This needs to be regulated and policed more seriously.
JonnyBlaze
If they never caught him before,nothing should be talked about it..It's the other fighter's trainer who needs to make sure that the other guy is wrapping his hands properly..If they say that he is good,it's the trainer's fault if they weren't..Not Margarito's fault at all..I don't think he has been doing this but it is possible..Either way,Shane fucked him up bad!!Roy's team made sure nothing funny was happening in Trinidad's dressing room..
Imperius3
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Jan 24 2009, 11:50 PM) [snapback]421971[/snapback]
If they never caught him before,nothing should be talked about it..It's the other fighter's trainer who needs to make sure that the other guy is wrapping his hands properly..If they say that he is good,it's the trainer's fault if they weren't..Not Margarito's fault at all..

Not Margarito's fault at all? That's ridiculous. Him knowingly cheating by putting plaster in his gloves...c'mon man. He should clearly face some sort of sanction from at least the California sanctioning body.
alaganza
QUOTE(Imperius3 @ Jan 25 2009, 01:00 AM) [snapback]421975[/snapback]
Not Margarito's fault at all? That's ridiculous. Him knowingly cheating by putting plaster in his gloves...c'mon man. He should clearly face some sort of sanction from at least the California sanctioning body.

Agreed. It's this kind of stuff that helps give boxing a bad name. Cheating is cheating. It's not up to someone else to catch you. You should have enough personal integrity to do the right thing.
Imperius3
I just read that Mosley's lawyer actually got some of the wraps, both from his hands and unused from the locker room, and has sent them to the state boxing commission.
The CEO
Knowingly loading your gloves, especially with Plaster of Paris, is EXPONENTIALLY worse than than unknowingly taking roids...

Boxers' fists with proper wraps and gloves can be lethal weapons...topping them off with plaster is outright cowardly and evil....
Imperius3
This night could not have possibly gone any worse for Margarito in terms of his stock falling. He literally went from the penthouse to the outhouse within the span of a few hours.

1.) Exposed as a cheater
2.) Had his granite chin cracked
3.) Lost every round against Mosley in a bout that was not competitive at all
4.) Stands a very good chance of being fined and suspended and missing out on another big payday against Cotto
thehype
It certainly does bring those wins over Cotto and Cintron into question.
BGv2.0
Saw something about this flash by on ESPN Sportscenter.......but when they actually talked about the fight...they said nothing about it.

If that dude really did that...or allowed it to be done.....BOTH he and his trainer and even his F'N bucket boy....ANYBODY in the know should be BANNED from the sport!

End of story.

It's dirty filth.....miles ahead of just about any other shitty aspect of this shitty sport.

It's bad enough, we as fans and the poor fighters that choose this profession have to deal with paid judges, dirty sanctioning bodies and even dirtier promoters......if guys start making a habit of putting everything but the damn kitchen sink in their gloves....what else is there?

IF it's proven that he did it.....ban the coward for life....his beating alone will not suffice!
The CEO
QUOTE(Imperius3 @ Jan 25 2009, 01:29 AM) [snapback]421982[/snapback]
This night could not have possibly gone any worse for Margarito in terms of his stock falling. He literally went from the penthouse to the outhouse within the span of a few hours.

1.) Exposed as a cheater
4.) Stands a very good chance of being fined and suspended and missing out on another big payday against Cotto

Yep....the epitome of "Hero to Zero"...

Absolutely BRUTAL night for him and his fanatics....
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(Imperius3 @ Jan 25 2009, 01:29 AM) [snapback]421982[/snapback]

1.) Exposed as a cheater

If this is all true... Damn... As a fan of Margarito, This is as bad as it gets. he should be banned from the sport. he could have killed somebody. And yes, he got phucked up bad...
The CEO
QUOTE(thehype @ Jan 25 2009, 01:31 AM) [snapback]421983[/snapback]

Thinking about how plaster slowly gets harder....and the way Cotto's face seemed to explode and swell up out of nowhere late in their fight...

I'm convinced he used them against Cotto....
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Jan 25 2009, 01:45 AM) [snapback]421989[/snapback]
Thinking about how plaster slowly gets harder....and the way Cotto's face seemed to explode and swell up out of nowhere late in their fight...

I'm convinced he used them against Cotto....

Me too...
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Imperius3 @ Jan 25 2009, 02:00 AM) [snapback]421975[/snapback]

Yeah,I guess you're right..He seriously could kill someone and in his head he'd know his team made the plaster wraps on his hands..This might actually be the reason to why he is able to land so many punches on people and not destroy his hands..His trainer and team could be accessory to murder if he killed someone with those plastered wraps on..
Imperius3
Seriously did Margarito ever truly have real fans? It seemed most people backed him just to fuel their hate towards Mayweather. No need to say names, they know who they are.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Imperius3 @ Jan 25 2009, 03:22 AM) [snapback]422007[/snapback]
Seriously did Margarito ever truly have real fans? It seemed most people backed him just to fuel their hate towards Mayweather. No need to say names, they know who they are.

He did but some were only fans to get at Mayweather I bet..There were 2 dudes on here who were gobbling up Margarito's nuts like they were fiending for that shit..It was real pathetic and they thought Margarito was god or something..I wish they'd come back on after this shit..One was reelfanofrealboxing or something like that..
Jack 1000
The hand-wrap issue is very serious and must be addressed. This isn't like Tito wrapping his hands tighter than allowed. This is an illegal substance i.e (wet plastic) found in Tony's gloves. He may have to be fined and suspended for this. What is going to happen with Mosley and the steroids allegation? Did they say anything about that? I fast forwarded with my DVR, right to the fight.

Jack
Jack 1000
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 25 2009, 02:33 AM) [snapback]422048[/snapback]
Was there allegations regarding steroids to this fight?

No. To clarify, I was referring to Mosley admitting to steroid use before the Delahoya rematch. Nothing to do with this fight.

Jack
kidbazooka1
Ok I know we got a lot of Mosley fans here all of a sudden but lets forget what Mosley just confessed to doing in the 2nd DLH fight.

To be honest it probably would have been a good tast of your own medince for Mosley if Marg won by cheating. Being that Mosley was also a cheat and god knows in how many other fight he used the drugs for aswell.

People here are ripping Marg but Mosley is right there with him so if were gonna be fair both of those f*ckers should have wins removed from there records or fined by the commisions.

Sh*t giving the way Mosley looked tonight i won't be suprised if it comes out that he was juiced up again(though i doubt it).
Jack 1000
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Jan 25 2009, 02:56 AM) [snapback]422058[/snapback]
Ok I know we got a lot of Mosley fans here all of a sudden but lets forget what Mosley just confessed to doing in the 2nd DLH fight.

To be honest it probably would have been a good tast of your own medince for Mosley if Marg won by cheating. Being that Mosley was also a cheat and god knows in how many other fight he used the drugs for aswell.

People here are ripping Marg but Mosley is right there with him so if were gonna be fair both of those f*ckers should have wins removed from there records or fined by the commisions.

Sh*t giving the way Mosley looked tonight i won't be surprised if it comes out that he was juiced up again(though i doubt it).

I know,

Given the way that commission inspectors and governing bodies talk about the consequences of illegal pre-fight activity it begs the question: Are fighters and their cornermen that fucking stupid that they think they can get away with any illegal substance or wrapping procedure that could favor their outcome in a fight? Any fighter convicted of possessing such materials, it takes away ALL of their previous fight accomplishments.

Why wouldn't any illegal substances just show up on any commission's mandated post-fight doping test?

Jack
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 25 2009, 05:19 AM) [snapback]422064[/snapback]
I have been on record saying that steroids are apart of the game and many fighters would use it like most other sports, it's just the ones that get caught. But for the life of me, I have not seen an improvement that drastic from one fight to another from a guy that age. He was aggressive as, I hadn't seen him that aggressive and bad in the ring like that. But I was honestly speechless after that fight, it's like I didn't know what the fuck happened. But compared to the last fight, he looked like a new man.

I wouldn't be suprised if in acouple of years from now someone comes clean and spills the beans on him again. Because like you said Fitz he sure in hell didn't look sh*t like has in his previouse fights.

But if it turns out that Mosley was juiced again then we had two cheating world class boxers just give boxing a huge black eye.
torvix2000
No steroids here!

Those right hands from Mosley that were landing again and again on Margarito, were not landing frequently on Cotto. Because Cotto is that skilled. While Marg is, well we know how stationary he is.

Also, Mosley was clinching and, ironically, Marg didn't know how to outhustle anybody. He knows how to pulverize opponents but he doesn't know how to hustle.

That clinching thing, I STILL REMEMBER VIVIDLY, was what every Cotto's fan was screaming for!!! But Cotto didn't know how to clinch a big man properly.
frankypc
Now im really worried about Cotto being the same if those kind of illegal wraps were used in his fight with marg. Im one of the few that thought Cotto could come back because hes young and could learn from his mistakes etc. But being hit by bricks for 11 rounds doe not sound too good.
Snoop
This would be REALLY fucked up if he used them for the Cotto fight. Pretty much endangered a man's career. Margarito will be put in the category of "less than shit" for me.

Cintron, eh...don't really THAT bad for. He was kind of a POS to begin with.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(thehype @ Jan 25 2009, 06:31 AM) [snapback]421983[/snapback]

I worry more about Lujan who suffered a much worse injury by Margarito than Cintrons tears & Cottos knee taking. In the bastardised words of Holyfield "he must done felt his done ear fell off"

STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Imperius3 @ Jan 25 2009, 07:22 AM) [snapback]422007[/snapback]

I will name one name STEVENSKI.
Douchebag
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Jan 25 2009, 12:50 AM) [snapback]421971[/snapback]
If they never caught him before,nothing should be talked about it..It's the other fighter's trainer who needs to make sure that the other guy is wrapping his hands properly..If they say that he is good,it's the trainer's fault if they weren't..Not Margarito's fault at all..I don't think he has been doing this but it is possible..Either way,Shane fucked him up bad!!Roy's team made sure nothing funny was happening in Trinidad's dressing room..

Your posts are usually on the up and up with me but I can't agree with you here. Cheating is cheating and it's more dispicable in this case because you Marg's camp showed no remorse for the heath and safety of there opponent in this one occasion. The fact that they would try do this against was thought of a past prime opponent makes if very believable that they would at least try do it against a prime guy like Cotto in the biggest fight in Marg's career.
JD
After all these years in the game, it is hard to imagine actually having more of an affinity for Mosley, even after last night's fight. But after the presser, you gotta like this guy even more...

“That didn’t bother me,” stated Mosley in regard to the hand wrap incident. “I don’t think Margarito was trying to do something illegal. I am sure it was a misunderstanding.”

Unbelievable class act. I am real happy for him...I hope he gets Mayweather next
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Imperius3 @ Jan 25 2009, 03:22 AM) [snapback]422007[/snapback]

I've always enjoyed watching Margarito fight and definitely backed him up with the Mayweather ducking situation (which PBF will always be eternally guilty of, no matter what anyone tries to say). Marg's never been one of my favorites the way Mosley is, but I've been a fan of the guy for the last few years.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 25 2009, 05:19 AM) [snapback]422064[/snapback]
I have been on record saying that steroids are apart of the game and many fighters would use it like most other sports, it's just the ones that get caught. But for the life of me, I have not seen an improvement that drastic from one fight to another from a guy that age. He was aggressive as, I hadn't seen him that aggressive and bad in the ring like that. But I was honestly speechless after that fight, it's like I didn't know what the fuck happened. But compared to the last fight, he looked like a new man.

Hopkins looked a lot better against Pavlik at 43 than he had in his previous fight with Joe Cal. Margarito and Pavlik are similar type opponents and Brother Naz trained both guys against them.

QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Jan 25 2009, 05:30 AM) [snapback]422067[/snapback]
I wouldn't be suprised if in acouple of years from now someone comes clean and spills the beans on him again. Because like you said Fitz he sure in hell didn't look sh*t like has in his previouse fights.

But if it turns out that Mosley was juiced again then we had two cheating world class boxers just give boxing a huge black eye.

nono.gif

Sounds like Mosley is already guilty in your eyes of juicing for this fight when there isn't anything to indicate that, other than a fantastic performance.

Shane's 37 but keeps himself in great shape year round and hasn't taken a lot of punishment throughout his career. He's exactly the type of fighter you would think could still fight at a high level later on in his career.

I also don't think Naz's input here should be overlooked. Shane's basically been directionless for much of his career with his dad in the corner. He finally came in with a legitimate fight plan and executed it to perfection.

Plus with his impending divorce he probably had a lot of pent-up anger brewing these past few months. aggressive.gif
Imperius3
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Jan 25 2009, 09:45 AM) [snapback]422095[/snapback]
I've always enjoyed watching Margarito fight and definitely backed him up with the Mayweather ducking situation (which PBF will always be eternally guilty of, no matter what anyone tries to say). Marg's never been one of my favorites the way Mosley is, but I've been a fan of the guy for the last few years.

Bullshit. I remember you clearly saying a long time ago how you needed Margarito as "ammo that you DEPERATELY needed".

Any of that ring a bell? I'll search for the post if I have to. It's also funny how you reply knowing you were one of the "fans" I was referring to, even though I didn't mention names.
Method
Shane just really stepped it the fuck up last night.

He really deserves all the kudos he gets for this performance. I truly didn't think he had it in him, although I didn't discount the possibility of the upset when I was talking to some industry heads yesterday.
Imperius3
QUOTE(Method @ Jan 25 2009, 10:00 AM) [snapback]422098[/snapback]
Shane just really stepped it the fuck up last night.

He really deserves all the kudos he gets for this performance. I truly didn't think he had it in him, although I didn't discount the possibility of the upset when I was talking to some industry heads yesterday.

No talk on the wraps? I figured you'd be all over this considering how you rode Trinidad. Strange...
rusty_trombone
i would like to thank shane mosley for whooping that sasquatches primordial ass.
Snoop
QUOTE(JD @ Jan 25 2009, 04:08 PM) [snapback]422090[/snapback]
After all these years in the game, it is hard to imagine actually having more of an affinity for Mosley, even after last night's fight. But after the presser, you gotta like this guy even more...

“That didn’t bother me,” stated Mosley in regard to the hand wrap incident. “I don’t think Margarito was trying to do something illegal. I am sure it was a misunderstanding.”

Unbelievable class act. I am real happy for him...I hope he gets Mayweather next

Probably because he knocked Margarito the fuck out. No need to kick a man while he's down.
D-MARV
I wonder what Cotto will say about the hand wraps.
MarzB
QUOTE(Imperius3 @ Jan 25 2009, 02:00 AM) [snapback]421975[/snapback]

Him, his trainer and his fucking promoter who's an asshole just for breathing. I don't deny that he hasn't been doing this all along one bit.

Can we finally put this dude to rest for good now and never reference him?? Please..
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Imperius3 @ Jan 25 2009, 11:58 AM) [snapback]422097[/snapback]
Bullshit. I remember you clearly saying a long time ago how you needed Margarito as "ammo that you DEPERATELY needed".

Any of that ring a bell? I'll search for the post if I have to. It's also funny how you reply knowing you were one of the "fans" I was referring to, even though I didn't mention names.

Huh? What the fuck are you talking about? What ammo that I DESPERATELY needed? None of it rings a bell.

What's funny about my reply? I said I was a fan. I don't need you to mention my name.

What exactly are you under the impression you're calling me out on fool?
Snoop
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 25 2009, 05:56 PM) [snapback]422114[/snapback]
I wonder what Cotto will say about the hand wraps.

Cotto is a class act when it comes to defeat. I doubt he'll say anything. Shit, he doesn't have to.
Nay_Sayer
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/ne...tory?id=3858368

Saturday, January 24, 2009
'Plaster-like substance' found on wraps
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com

LOS ANGELES -- Welterweight titleholder Antonio Margarito was forced to re-wrap his hands before Saturday night's defense against Shane Mosley at Staples Center after Mosley trainer Nazim Richardson discovered an abnormality during the pre-fight inspection.

"It was a plaster-like substance," Golden Boy Promotions attorney Stephen Espinoza told ESPN.com. "It was bagged up by the commission and taken as evidence."

Espinoza said that Dean Lohuis, co-executive director of the California State Athletic Commission, said it was discovered under both of Margarito's wraps.

Margarito's camp could not be reached for comment.

Richardson originally had objected to the amount of tape on Margarito's hands and when it was removed, the foreign substance was discovered, Espinoza said.

Richardson, who trains Bernard Hopkins, had also objected to Felix Trinidad's hand wraps before their historic 2001 undisputed middleweight championship fight. Trinidad was forced to have his hands re-wrapped and Hopkins went on to knock him out in the 12th round to unify titles.
caneman
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Jan 25 2009, 04:38 PM) [snapback]422176[/snapback]

Margarito is screwed if it's true! I hope they stay on top of this story!
Douchebag
Margarito is ruinned. He will never be the same after being embarrassed the way he did.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.