Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mosely vs Mayweather several years ago at 135
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
AussieLad
Remember, i'm talking a number of years ago when mosely was at his best weight, i'm not talking the current version.

At 135 he was as skilled, not as balanced as floyd obviously, mosely seemed to leaned towards more offence than defence. And with his chin, speed and power IMO he was more than an equal match for floyd.

When mayweather fought zab, it was a rare occasion floyd fought someone as fast as he is. Lost at least 4 of the first 6 rounds and was knocked down. It was only because zab was mentally weak that he was not able to win one or two of the later rounds, and the overall fight. Floyds victory was a combination of adjustments, credit to floyd is deserved, but moreso to me it seemed a case that zab has attention deficit disorder and couldnt maintain focus. At 135 mosely was as fast and has a much stronger mental game than zab, and was capable of making adjustments needed to beat floyd

Of course i expect to be in the minority of people picking mosely, and this thread is not the case of nuthugging a recent victory, as i would have said the same after mosely lost to cotto.
STEVENSKI
Mosley would win IMO. Shane had a awful lot of sting in his shots at 135 & Shane would hurt PBF early & PBF would go in his shell. Shane was also excellent at cutting off the ring & minimising a fighters working space.

MarzB
Mayweather was only briefly fought at 135 but he was deadly. The fight that ("HI HATERS" and dissenters) some people think Floyd lost against Castillio he easily avenged in the second match. No Castillio wasn't hurt, flored or anything like that but he was clearly outboxed.

That said, as incredible of what Floyd did last night and his domination of the lower weight classes I still give the nod to Floyd. Floyd as I mentioned in the "classic" thread has WAY too many tools in comparison to to Shane. Floyd has a VERY underrated beard not only that, Shane is another fighter that cannot fight going backwards and loves to engage.

Most of all, as good as Shane is, when fighting boxers just as skilled or more skilled he reverts to being very predicable. His "one punch at a time" kicks in.

Floyd had more power at 135 so that wouldn't even be an issue.

I saw a video of Shane sparring with Chicanito Hernandez and it was fairly even. GRANTED it was a "sparring match" but Shane was 18-0 at the time and in comparison the way Floyd handled Cicanito with relative ease pretty much tells me he'd have Mos's number at 135 or even now..
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE(MarzB @ Jan 26 2009, 01:38 AM) [snapback]422262[/snapback]
Mayweather was only briefly fought at 135 but he was deadly. The fight that ("HI HATERS" and dissenters) some people think Floyd lost against Castillio he easily avenged in the second match. No Castillio wasn't hurt, flored or anything like that but he was clearly outboxed.

That said, as incredible of what Floyd did last night and his domination of the lower weight classes I still give the nod to Floyd. Floyd as I mentioned in the "classic" thread has WAY too many tools in comparison to to Shane. Floyd has a VERY underrated beard not only that, Shane is another fighter that cannot fight going backwards and loves to engage.

Most of all, as good as Shane is, when fighting boxers just as skilled or more skilled he reverts to being very predicable. His "one punch at a time" kicks in.

Floyd had more power at 135 so that wouldn't even be an issue.

I saw a video of Shane sparring with Chicanito Hernandez and it was fairly even. GRANTED it was a "sparring match" but Shane was 18-0 at the time and in comparison the way Floyd handled Cicanito with relative ease pretty much tells me he'd have Mos's number at 135 or even now..

Careful with that sparring talk Marz that's thin ice you're skating on buddy. Ever seen PBF's sparring video with Spadafora?

In fact I have to ask, are you in fact Floyd Mayweather?
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(the ollie reed fan club @ Jan 26 2009, 03:45 AM) [snapback]422267[/snapback]
Careful with that sparring talk Marz that's thin ice you're skating on buddy. Ever seen PBF's sparring video with Spadafora?

In fact I have to ask, are you in fact Floyd Mayweather?

Was going to say the thing about PBF-Spaddy sparring session. Remember hearing about the Cintron-Hopkins sparring session years ago? It is just sparring.

I have always said for years Mosley would have beat Floyd at 135, of course that is just my opinion which means nothing.
D-MARV
NAh... I'll still take Floyd. Floyd at 135 was an ANIMAL...

Would have been a good ass fight though.
MarzB
Not only have I seen it I own it (along with many other sparring videos). Big deal. For some reason some of you actually seem to think that I like everything about Floyd and if thats is true then it pretty much shows your train of thought frankly.

Lets get back to my main point of me referencing that and that was at the lighter weights Floyd was deadly, that can't be disputed.
Spyder
Floyd deadly at Lightweight? nea.gif

32-0 (KO 30)...that's deadly!
Mean Mister Mustard
Man I can't believe I have to come in here defending Floyd. Mosley is not a boxer, he's a pressure fighter with speed. So we know he wouldn't outbox Mayweather. His speed and pressure would give Mayweather problems but I think he gets outboxed.
Spyder
All I'm saying is that if Castillo could give Floyd issues at 135...with Shane's speed/power at that weight...it would've been like watching top-fuel dragracers in a demolition derby!
Chi-Town
QUOTE(Spyder @ Jan 26 2009, 08:40 AM) [snapback]422278[/snapback]
Floyd deadly at Lightweight? nea.gif

32-0 (KO 30)...that's deadly!

Shane at 135: 31-0 (27 KO)
8 -0 as THE lightweight champion of the world. All 8 wins by KO
Box in Hand
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jan 26 2009, 08:56 AM) [snapback]422280[/snapback]
Man I can't believe I have to come in here defending Floyd. Mosley is not a boxer, he's a pressure fighter with speed. So we know he wouldn't outbox Mayweather. His speed and pressure would give Mayweather problems but I think he gets outboxed.

Amen all day!
Big Slim Sweet
Mosley by life-threatening KO.
seetherrox343
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Jan 26 2009, 12:41 PM) [snapback]422298[/snapback]
Mosley by life-threatening KO.

i agree
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(seetherrox343 @ Jan 26 2009, 09:16 PM) [snapback]422372[/snapback]
i agree

I hope!
Snowsy
Nah,

Mayweather wins this by his typically not-as-close-as-the-scorecard 116-112 type of decision. Mosely isn't as fast as everyone seems to think, and last weekend's evidence or not, he'd had never caught Floyd with 100 super duper clean right hands like he did to Margarito.

Mayweather would NEVER step on the gas hard enough to put Shane in trouble, but he'd never really be in trouble himself either. Would score like Mayweather/DeLaHoya when all was said and done.

Spyder
QUOTE(Chi-Town @ Jan 26 2009, 11:01 AM) [snapback]422286[/snapback]
Shane at 135: 31-0 (27 KO)
8 -0 as THE lightweight champion of the world. All 8 wins by KO

Shane only had two fights at lightweight goto a decision...Oscar Lopez and Phillip Holiday.

As a lightweight he ventured above the 135lb limit a lot, but didn't officially campaign at welterweight until Wilfredo Rivera...up until that point he was 32-0 (30 KO).
kidbazooka1
Mosley by UD but if Mayweather comes to fight Mosley stops him late.
MarzB
135 is different granted but a tiger doesn't change their stripes. The fight would go the same regardless of weight class. Shane has problems with skilled boxers (including of all people De La friggin Hoya) and the Mayorga fight was just pitiful considering Mayorga is shop worn and should have been done much earlier.

My point is that if he couldn't do tha with that awkward dude, how does anyone think he's gonna do it (god forbid a KO) with Mayweather who has MUCH better footwork, can hit on the move. In addition Mosley even in the fight against Magarito loads up a lot on his punches and is very open for counters that Mayweather would definitely exploit.

Lets go back to the first Dela Hoya fight. Dela Hoya has a more powerful left hook NO DOUBT but Floyd's is much quicker and more precise. Dela had a lot of success with that shot and I'd see exactly the same for Floyd. Then there are the intangibles. Shane gets EXTREMELY discouraged when he's not performing well or he's behind. It was very evident in not only his body language but facial expressions against Forrest, Wright and even during the middle rounds of the Cotto fight (I swore I thought he was going to cry at some point during that fight). So the mental/emotional toughness definitely bodes in Floyd's favor.

I just hope this fight happens
seetherrox343
QUOTE(MarzB @ Jan 27 2009, 11:07 PM) [snapback]422688[/snapback]
135 is different granted but a tiger doesn't change their stripes. The fight would go the same regardless of weight class. Shane has problems with skilled boxers (including of all people De La friggin Hoya) and the Mayorga fight was just pitiful considering Mayorga is shop worn and should have been done much earlier.

My point is that if he couldn't do tha with that awkward dude, how does anyone think he's gonna do it (god forbid a KO) with Mayweather who has MUCH better footwork, can hit on the move. In addition Mosley even in the fight against Magarito loads up a lot on his punches and is very open for counters that Mayweather would definitely exploit.

Lets go back to the first Dela Hoya fight. Dela Hoya has a more powerful left hook NO DOUBT but Floyd's is much quicker and more precise. Dela had a lot of success with that shot and I'd see exactly the same for Floyd. Then there are the intangibles. Shane gets EXTREMELY discouraged when he's not performing well or he's behind. It was very evident in not only his body language but facial expressions against Forrest, Wright and even during the middle rounds of the Cotto fight (I swore I thought he was going to cry at some point during that fight). So the mental/emotional toughness definitely bodes in Floyd's favor.

ah first off you make it sound like Oscar de la hoya is a crappy fighter when Mosley fought him he was still a really good fighter and 2nd Mayorga came into the fight weighing 170 pounds so mosley knocked out a guy who weighs the same as a light heavy weight i would love to see Mayweather do that and Mosley had blood blisters on his feet so it made it hard for him to move the whole second half of the fight. and Mayweather hasnt even fought any one even close to having the same skill or power as Mosley.

The best fighter Mayweather fought was Oscar and i personally thought he lost when you challenge the champion your supposed to beat him convincingly which Mayweather didnt he ran the whole fight and the whole reason why it was a fight was because Oscar tried to make it one. and in the Cotto fight Mosley was the one who came on strong towards the end of the fight which i thought was a draw but i could see it going either way.

so if they fought in there primes Mosley would have destroyed him. if the fought now i still think Mosley would beat him. I never thought Mayweather was ever the best. To be the best you have to beat the best which he didnt he ducked everyone. instead of fighting one of the best mosley,cotto,williams,margarito,clottey he fought a small ricky hatton and then retires. then you have mosley a true champion who has never ducked a fighter in his entire career and fought all the best oscar de la hoya twice, forrest twice, wright twice, vargas twice, mayorga, callazo, cotto, margarito. so who is the better fighter by far mosley and the fight wont happen because mayweathers to much of a girl to fight mosley
seetherrox343
QUOTE(MarzB @ Jan 27 2009, 11:07 PM) [snapback]422688[/snapback]

ah first off you make it sound like Oscar de la hoya is a crappy fighter when Mosley fought him he was still a really good fighter and 2nd Mayorga came into the fight weighing 170 pounds so mosley knocked out a guy who weighs the same as a light heavy weight i would love to see Mayweather do that and Mosley had blood blisters on his feet so it made it hard for him to move the whole second half of the fight. and Mayweather hasnt even fought any one even close to having the same skill or power as Mosley.

The best fighter Mayweather fought was Oscar and i personally thought he lost when you challenge the champion your supposed to beat him convincingly which Mayweather didnt he ran the whole fight and the whole reason why it was a fight was because Oscar tried to make it one. and in the Cotto fight Mosley was the one who came on strong towards the end of the fight which i thought was a draw but i could see it going either way.

so if they fought in there primes Mosley would have destroyed him. if the fought now i still think Mosley would beat him. I never thought Mayweather was ever the best. To be the best you have to beat the best which he didnt he ducked everyone. instead of fighting one of the best mosley,cotto,williams,margarito,clottey he fought a small ricky hatton and then retires. then you have mosley a true champion who has never ducked a fighter in his entire career and fought all the best oscar de la hoya twice, forrest twice, wright twice, vargas twice, mayorga, callazo, cotto, margarito. so who is the better fighter by far mosley and the fight wont happen because mayweathers to much of a girl to fight mosley
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 26 2009, 07:54 AM) [snapback]422273[/snapback]
NAh... I'll still take Floyd. Floyd at 135 was an ANIMAL...
Would have been a good ass fight though.

I agree with you man..Shane is a fighter first then a boxer and Floyd is a boxer first always and is really nothing else..Floyd would out box him and win a UD..Shane would have a chance at winning but if they fought 10 times,I think Floyd would win the majority..

Whoever brought up the sparring thing,well first off it's sparring..Second is that styles make fights so if one guy beats another,it doesn't mean shit..We just saw this happen too..Where the fuck were you??Cotto beat Shane and lost to Margarito..Shane then went on to beat Margarito..Joe Frazier beat Ali one time and had 3 amazing fights with him..Frazier lost to George Foreman very quickly and Foreman made it look easy..Ali beat Foreman and KO'd him..Shane beat Mayorga but lost to Forrest..Mayorga beat Forrest..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.