Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do you think Margarito used loaded gloves against Cotto?
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
The CEO
I'm interested in seeing the results of this poll....you don't have to discuss it, say how you voted, or anything...unless you want to...
Big Slim Sweet
Yep.
Imperius3
I want to hear what the Commission has to say first. If it's confirmed, then I think it's safe to assume that Margarito has been doing this for a while.
jp
Yes.

The cotto fight was a "make or break" moment in his career, combine that with the fact that Cotto was pretty heavily favored going in and all signs point to yes.

It just doesn't seem reasonable to think that this fight would be the first time that he would ever try to cut corners especially since everyone was picking him to steamroll shane.
KookedKrack
most definitely the way margaritos punches sounded just wasnt right man
The CEO
QUOTE(Imperius3 @ Jan 26 2009, 01:06 PM) [snapback]422308[/snapback]
I want to hear what the Commission has to say first. If it's confirmed, then I think it's safe to assume that Margarito has been doing this for a while.

Yeah...they might sweep the flakes of plaster under the rug....LOL
oozemcbuck
wel, he definetly got caught with PLASTIC in his gloves vs mosley, and his shots looked BRUTAL when they hit cotto's face, and cotto's a tough dude... i don't know, but the rematch is gonna be interesting...
Lil-lightsout
Someone help me out. Doesn't the commision and a person from the others camp always have to be there when the wrapping is going on? Doesn't a commisioner have to sign off on the tape job, or is it just on top of the gloves? Where does the tape go after the fight? In the trash or to the commision to examine? I just do not get how this could have happened for so long with out anyone catching it. I am confused what to think of this situation till we get some more concrete info. But, from the look at Cotto's face after there fight, it sure seems like he used it in there fight.
Douchebag
there's no doubt in my mind that he used that shit in the cotto fight. I mean why use it for the 37 year old apparently on the decline Mosley and not on the 29 year old definitely in his prime Cotto?
Tha Docta
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Jan 26 2009, 01:25 PM) [snapback]422318[/snapback]
there's no doubt in my mind that he used that shit in the cotto fight. I mean why use it for the 37 year old apparently on the decline Mosley and not on the 29 year old definitely in his prime Cotto?

no doubt in your mind? wow. judah busted up cottos face pretty good too and i doubt he had illegal handwraps. i think cotto gets knocked out by margarito regardless.
streetlion1
As a Cotto fan I would like to think that he did....but Cotto just ran outta gas anyway.....Mosley fought the perfect fight against margarito.
The CEO
Man....I just can't get enough of this fight and the loaded gloves incident....this is GOOD SHIT!!

drag.gif
frankypc
But if you keep constanly crashing against a brick wall surely you will run out of gas earlier than expected. Especially if they broke your nose with a brick in the second round.
WolfishPromistah
I know one thing: we probably should look for Cintron next wink.gif

This just might be THE perfect time for him to try and get his name in good again, right after Mosely disposed of Tony (Easier? -- perhaps). smile.gif

Oh, and I too would not be so surprised if, with there being the previous concern for Tony as the underdog against a live-wired, prime Cotto, logic-of-likelihood might lean most toward them possibly already having been used against a threat like Cotto on an even bigger stage since the "gift-wraps" were to later be used against an underdog in Mosely.
Jack 1000
Yes.

Jack
Douchebag
QUOTE(Tha Docta @ Jan 26 2009, 01:45 PM) [snapback]422321[/snapback]
no doubt in your mind? wow. judah busted up cottos face pretty good too and i doubt he had illegal handwraps. i think cotto gets knocked out by margarito regardless.

maybe your right but thats not the question that was asked numbnutz. he asked whether we think he used it in the cotto fight which in my mind there is no reason to think otherwise.
rusty_trombone
i voted yes, because it would make sense that someone as shitty as margarito, would have to cheat in order to win. what a cockbag
Douchebag
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Jan 26 2009, 03:21 PM) [snapback]422339[/snapback]
i voted yes, because it would make sense that someone as shitty as margarito, would have to cheat in order to win. what a cockbag

I was on the hate wagon before but I honestly didn't really start hating this guy until I heard lederman make the anouncement on sat. Mar is ass and all his fans need to turn on him asap.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Jan 26 2009, 02:20 PM) [snapback]422315[/snapback]
Someone help me out. Doesn't the commision and a person from the others camp always have to be there when the wrapping is going on? Doesn't a commisioner have to sign off on the tape job, or is it just on top of the gloves? Where does the tape go after the fight? In the trash or to the commision to examine? I just do not get how this could have happened for so long with out anyone catching it. I am confused what to think of this situation till we get some more concrete info. But, from the look at Cotto's face after there fight, it sure seems like he used it in there fight.

This is what gets me too. How the fuck is there not someone there EVERY fight to watch BOTH fighters' hands getting taped? Hell from the sound of it even Naazim didn't get in to watch until the middle of the job.

Amazing how shady this sport is.
Spyder
Someone said it earlier...I thinks it was CEO...but looking at the fight, how all of a sudden Margarito's shots were busting up Cotto's face. It would make sense that a hardening substance was used. I voted yes because that's what my gut says...but we don't know.
Box in Hand
Yes I think he's done it before. This guy has been screaming for his big shot for years. He chased Mayweather, called out De La Hoya. Then he gets his big shot. I'm sure he felt he had to have the best possible chance of winning even if it meant lacing his gloves. I think he's a good person as we all saw during his post fight interview Saturday, I just think the desire to be at the top clouds people's judgement sometimes. Shane cheated, Roy cheated, Evander supposedly did it and countless others have to. I just feel bad for Cotto cause he may never be the same again after that ass thrashing.
Snoop
QUOTE(Box in Hand @ Jan 26 2009, 09:26 PM) [snapback]422343[/snapback]
Shane cheated, Roy cheated, Evander supposedly did it and countless others have to. I just feel bad for Cotto cause he may never be the same again after that ass thrashing.

But their cheating (I'm assuming your talking about the steroid accusations), did not have the potential to KILL someone. They are WAAYYY different degrees of cheating.

But yes, of all of this, I feel bad for Cotto, who may never be the same, because some cheating little bitch was selfish and greedy.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Jan 26 2009, 03:14 PM) [snapback]422336[/snapback]
maybe your right but thats not the question that was asked numbnutz. he asked whether we think he used it in the cotto fight which in my mind there is no reason to think otherwise.

how about the fact that cottos corner watched them wrap his hands?
Box in Hand
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Jan 26 2009, 02:35 PM) [snapback]422348[/snapback]
But their cheating (I'm assuming your talking about the steroid accusations), did not have the potential to KILL someone. They are WAAYYY different degrees of cheating.

But yes, of all of this, I feel bad for Cotto, who may never be the same, because some cheating little bitch was selfish and greedy.

So true, there are levels.
Douchebag
QUOTE(Tha Docta @ Jan 26 2009, 03:42 PM) [snapback]422357[/snapback]
how about the fact that cottos corner watched them wrap his hands?

What does that have to do with anything? So cheating and playing with man's life is OK just as long as you can get away with it. Are you serious? How many people saw Trinindad wrap his hand and never call him on anything? How about the fact that Brother didn't even catch until he noticed that there was too much wrap around his hands. Point being most people would have missed it. Clown.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Jan 26 2009, 03:52 PM) [snapback]422362[/snapback]
What does that have to do with anything? So cheating and playing with man's life is OK just as long as you can get away with it. Are you serious? How many people saw Trinindad wrap his hand and never call him on anything? How about the fact that Brother didn't even catch until he noticed that there was too much wrap around his hands. Point being most people would have missed it. Clown.

didnt say it was ok to cheat. the argument was whether there was any doubt as to if he cheated when he faced cotto. and the fact that everyone watched him get his hands wrapped and did not object, makes me think there is some doubt as to whether he cheated in that fight or not. clown.
Douchebag
QUOTE(Tha Docta @ Jan 26 2009, 03:58 PM) [snapback]422364[/snapback]
didnt say it was ok to cheat. the argument was whether there was any doubt as to if he cheated when he faced cotto. and the fact that everyone watched him get his hands wrapped and did not object, makes me think there is some doubt as to whether he cheated in that fight or not. clown.

It's not doubt that you have wonder bread it's denial.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Jan 26 2009, 04:01 PM) [snapback]422365[/snapback]
It's not doubt that you have wonder bread it's denial.

not in denial. im just not 100% positive that he cheated in the cotto fight.
boxingbiz
IF Margarito used the plaster of paris to load his gloves for the Mosley fight, he more than likely used it for the Cotto fight and am bold enough to say he probably used it for the Cintron fights as well. Cotto has been cut before but throughout his entire fight career he has never been brutalized as badly as he was in the Margarito fight. It SEEMS more than likely that IF he used the plaster in this fight ... he used it with Cotto.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(boxingbiz @ Jan 26 2009, 04:24 PM) [snapback]422375[/snapback]
IF Margarito used the plaster of paris to load his gloves for the Mosley fight, he more than likely used it for the Cotto fight and am bold enough to say he probably used it for the Cintron fights as well. Cotto has been cut before but throughout his entire fight career he has never been brutalized as badly as he was in the Margarito fight. It SEEMS more than likely that IF he used the plaster in this fight ... he used it with Cotto.

now this is a more plausible argument. personally, i think theres a good chance that he did cheat against cotto. but the previous clown used statements like "no doubt that he cheated against cotto".
Box in Hand
Emotions are high on here. No one knows for sure but like I said, the chance for fame can make some do strange shit. Either way Marg's reputation is shattered. He is no loner indestructible nor is going to be considered a honest guy. He has a long road to walk now and I wouldn't want to be in those shoes.
Box in Hand
I dare to compare Margarito to Luis Resto. Even though he didn't get away with in this fight, he hurt a great fighter in Cotto and he probably did it with laced gloves.
D-MARV

I'm gonna have to say YEAH!
boxingbiz
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 26 2009, 04:41 PM) [snapback]422385[/snapback]

I'm gonna have to say YEAH!

(Collins Jr after the Resto fight) Quite comparable if you ask me.
Tha Docta
then someone needs to arrest bernard hopkins for the damage he did to joppys face. he mustve had brass knuckles in his gloves.
boxingbiz
QUOTE(Tha Docta @ Jan 26 2009, 04:46 PM) [snapback]422387[/snapback]
then someone needs to arrest bernard hopkins for the damage he did to joppys face. he mustve had brass knuckles in his gloves.

No, Hopkins is just a bad man. cool.gif . Besides, I'm just making a comparison within the construct of two similar circumstances. Though point well taken.
Box in Hand
QUOTE(boxingbiz @ Jan 26 2009, 03:45 PM) [snapback]422386[/snapback]

(Collins Jr after the Resto fight) Quite comparable if you ask me.

Wow, indeed.
Douchebag
QUOTE(Tha Docta @ Jan 26 2009, 04:27 PM) [snapback]422376[/snapback]
now this is a more plausible argument. personally, i think theres a good chance that he did cheat against cotto. but the previous clown used statements like "no doubt that he cheated against cotto".

No idiot, What I said was that I had no doubt in MY mind that he cheated in the Cotto fight. You no reading comprehending douche bag.
JD
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Jan 26 2009, 05:15 PM) [snapback]422397[/snapback]
You no reading comprehending douche bag.

While it may come as a surprise, you will find that this statement is not very effective.
Douchebag
QUOTE(JD @ Jan 26 2009, 06:59 PM) [snapback]422422[/snapback]
While it may come as a surprise, you will find that this statement is not very effective.

Mind your business and let me have my laugh.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(JD @ Jan 26 2009, 06:59 PM) [snapback]422422[/snapback]

i also thought it was odd picking on someone's reading comprehension skills, typing like a complete moron. That's either a great joke, or an act of complete stupidity. I'll let god decide.
Brad
QUOTE(Tha Docta @ Jan 27 2009, 03:45 AM) [snapback]422321[/snapback]

I think Judah had a baseball bat. He hit Cotto so damn hard with something so bad that Miggy only survived by throwing illegal punches. Miggy was lucky to even land the Mosley fight or the Margarito fight, he was two low blows away from getting KTFO by Judah!!!
Brad
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Jan 27 2009, 09:43 AM) [snapback]422431[/snapback]
i also thought it was odd picking on someone's reading comprehension skills, typing like a complete moron. That's either a great joke, or an act of complete stupidity. I'll let god decide.

I'm here my little Potters House cult boy. What is your question my son, my decision so far is that your an idiot, but I am forgiving, especially to my American Potters House cult crew.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Brad @ Jan 26 2009, 07:59 PM) [snapback]422435[/snapback]
I'm here my little Potters House cult boy. What is your question my son, my decision so far is that your an idiot, but I am forgiving, especially to my American Potters House cult crew.

Brad, welcome to the board.
The CEO
laugh.gif.....who's this Brad?....he registered here 2 years ago, RT....you and him got some History?
FenderDG3
I voted yes, but like some one said I won't be sure until the commission rules on it. I also agree with a lot of you all that said if Margo was going to try to pull this when he was the betting favorite, then you gotta think or assume that he would do it when he was the underdog in the biggest fight of his career. If it is shown that he was indeed using the plaster of paris in he wraps he should be banned for life.
STEVENSKI
Man everyone is crying about Cotto. What about Lujan? He suffered permanant damage & unlike Cotto he is no millionaire. This is just a tad worse than Cotto taking a knee IMO.

JD
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Jan 26 2009, 07:17 PM) [snapback]422425[/snapback]
Mind your business and let me have my laugh.

Oh you were laughing too? That's good.
The Original MrFactor
Absolutely!!!!!

I think he's used them for some time. Look at the way he's won over the years. He gets beaten badly in the beginning and breaks you down over time. This time the breakdown didnt occur because his punches didnt have the same effect. Shame on the other fighter's trainers prior to Naazim Richardson who didnt look out for the interests of their fighter. I credited Mosley for the great fight, but I also think that Margarito looked sooo bad due to the unknown(until now) x factor.

The X factor is the wraps. Mosley got hit with alot of the same stuff Cotto was getting hit with, in the 1st 5 or 6 rounds. the difference was in the effect of those body and head shots. Cotto's nose was broken from a jab that I saw Mosley get hit with too. Margarito's punches definately had a different effect. Mosley didnt even look like he was in a fight afterwards. Compare him to Cotto, Paul Williams and Kermit Cintron. All those guys were puffed up and probably got hit with the same punches Mosley got hit with. The difference is the wraps.

I like Margarito, but I call a spade a spade. This looks really bad. Anybody who cheats should be banned from the sport an probably brought up on assault charges. Somebody could have gotten killed!! Its disgusting and hopefully the truth comes out along with swift, decisive penalties.
King Eugene
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Jan 27 2009, 12:58 AM) [snapback]422475[/snapback]
Absolutely!!!!!

I think he's used them for some time. Look at the way he's won over the years. He gets beaten badly in the beginning and breaks you down over time. This time the breakdown didnt occur because his punches didnt have the same effect. Shame on the other fighter's trainers prior to Naazim Richardson who didnt look out for the interests of their fighter. I credited Mosley for the great fight, but I also think that Margarito looked sooo bad due to the unknown(until now) x factor.

The X factor is the wraps. Mosley got hit with alot of the same stuff Cotto was getting hit with, in the 1st 5 or 6 rounds. the difference was in the effect of those body and head shots. Cotto's nose was broken from a jab that I saw Mosley get hit with too. Margarito's punches definately had a different effect. Mosley didnt even look like he was in a fight afterwards. Compare him to Cotto, Paul Williams and Kermit Cintron. All those guys were puffed up and probably got hit with the same punches Mosley got hit with. The difference is the wraps.

I like Margarito, but I call a spade a spade. This looks really bad. Anybody who cheats should be banned from the sport an probably brought up on assault charges. Somebody could have gotten killed!! Its disgusting and hopefully the truth comes out along with swift, decisive penalties.

I'm suprised this hasn't been mentioned more. I somewhat agree and disagree. There have been fighters to die that was not a victim of cheating and their opponents where not charged for murder.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.