Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boxers who carry their trainers...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
D-MARV
Big up to Naazim Richardson. I'm sure he'll be getting alot of phone calls in the near future...

But I want to focus on fighters who make their trainers look good. First one that comes to mind is Floyd Mayweather Jr.

personally, I don't think Roger is all that. I think Floyd makes him look very good.

Another one is Joe Calzaghe... ENZO SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 28 2009, 10:43 PM) [snapback]422846[/snapback]
Big up to Naazim Richardson. I'm sure he'll be getting alot of phone calls in the near future...
But I want to focus on fighters who make their trainers look good. First one that comes to mind is Floyd Mayweather Jr.

personally, I don't think Roger is all that. I think Floyd makes him look very good.

Another one is Joe Calzaghe... ENZO SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

Ali and Dundee comes to mind..I think Dundee might of helped Ali some but Ali was Ali and no one really needed to do much for him..If Ali would of let Archie Moore help him more,Ali would of ended up with a lot more KO's than he did..

Roy Jones always carries his trainer too..They don't do anything for him besides give him someone to talk to about the fight inbetween rounds..

Freddie Roach is a good trainer but I think James Toney carried him for awhile..Toney is the one who made him big in my opinion..

Roger Mayweather is a weak ass trainer..
D-MARV
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Jan 28 2009, 09:50 PM) [snapback]422850[/snapback]
Ali and Dundee comes to mind..I think Dundee might of helped Ali some but Ali was Ali and no one really needed to do much for him..If Ali would of let Archie Moore help him more,Ali would of ended up with a lot more KO's than he did..

Roy Jones always carries his trainer too..They don't do anything for him besides give him someone to talk to about the fight inbetween rounds..

Freddie Roach is a good trainer but I think James Toney carried him for awhile..Toney is the one who made him big in my opinion..

Roger Mayweather is a weak ass trainer..

I can't believe I forgot about Roy... He definitely carried Merk
Box in Hand
How about Roy Jones and Alton Merkeson. Young Roy had that guy looking real good but he never helped Roy evolve his game. As Roy got older Alton just became a yes man. I used to hear him try to give Roy advise but to no avail. In fact in his last fight Alton called Roy's dad on the phone during the fight for help and he didn't know how to get Roy's cut fixed up.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Box in Hand @ Jan 28 2009, 09:56 PM) [snapback]422853[/snapback]
How about Roy Jones and Alton Merkeson. Young Roy had that guy looking real good but he never helped Roy evolve his game. As Roy got older Alton just became a yes man. I used to hear him try to give Roy advise but to no avail. In fact in his last fight Alton called Roy's dad on the phone during the fight for help and he didn't know how to get Roy's cut fixed up.

Did you completely ignore the last two posts? LOL

Im just messing witcha.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 28 2009, 10:59 PM) [snapback]422856[/snapback]
Im just messing witcha.

I was just gonna say that but saw you already said it..hahaha..

Kelly Pavlik carries his trainer too..Hate on him all ya want but he is the middleweight champ..

Ricky Hatton always carried his trainer until he made the wise switch to Mayweather Sr..Hatton is going to be a complete fighter now because of Floyd Sr.
Box in Hand
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 28 2009, 08:59 PM) [snapback]422856[/snapback]
Im just messing witcha.

Yeah they typed faster than me...dang it!
Lil-lightsout
That guy who trains Winky Wright, I forget his name(Bloodworth?). Winky has always made him look good. He also trains Lacy, who has made ZERO improvements in years with the same guy. I think he sucks.

Has anyone mentioned Alton Merkerson? He is just a yes man.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Jan 28 2009, 10:04 PM) [snapback]422857[/snapback]
Ricky Hatton always carried his trainer until he made the wise switch to Mayweather Sr..Hatton is going to be a complete fighter now because of Floyd Sr.

Easy there. Complete fighter is going overboard, he will make some nice improvements.
hitman
trinidad and mosley carried their dads.

i agree with mayweather too. i don't think roger is that good.
Snoop
Sam Peter's trainer. Well, Peter wasn't that much to begin with either.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Jan 29 2009, 12:52 AM) [snapback]422879[/snapback]
That guy who trains Winky Wright, I forget his name(Bloodworth?). Winky has always made him look good. He also trains Lacy, who has made ZERO improvements in years with the same guy. I think he sucks.

Has anyone mentioned Alton Merkerson? He is just a yes man.

I think Roger Bloodsworth is a legit trainer and was never carried in my opinion..He also trained Robbie Peden and a lot of other guys..Any other takes on Bloodsworth??
Method
Roger Bloodworth doesn't train Winky Wright. He trains Lacy. Dan Birmingham trains Wright. I wouldnt necessarily say Wright carried Birmingham.

Roger Mayweahter sucks.

I think Emmanuel Stewart gets carried somewhat. The guys he wins with - The Klitchkos, fight in a sorry ass division, so Stewart looks good and whores credit for their success, HOWEVER, Manny loses a lot too, and when he does, he ALWAYS throws his fighters under the bus and sheds the blame from himself.

I definitely agree that Alton Merk gets...or GOT carried.
Spyder
Birmingham trained Winky since he was a kid, so if anything, Dan should be given credit for "making" Winky an expert fundamentalist.

Manny...imo...built a career getting carried by fighters.
JD
Pavlik carries Jack Loew.

On the Roger / Floyd thing...I never really considered Roger his trainer, Floyd Senior trained Floyd to be what he is - Roger is just the guy who is in the gym with him now. So yes, in the spirit of the thread, Floyd is the picture perfect example...I just consider Floyd Senior the guy who did the work that made Floyd into a great boxer.
Method
I don't necessarily believe Pavlik carried Jack Loew. Loew has been with Kelly since jump street.

As for...

"You will lose the fight, but not your title"

That was NOT Jack Loew that said that. It was one of the assistant trainers.
pcraw
I think Pernell Whitaker made Lou Duva look good. Also, as bad as he is now when he was on top of his game Zab carried Yoel.
caneman
QUOTE(pcraw @ Jan 29 2009, 09:43 AM) [snapback]422928[/snapback]
I think Pernell Whitaker made Lou Duva look good. Also, as bad as he is now when he was on top of his game Zab carried Yoel.

knowwatimsayin'
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(pcraw @ Jan 29 2009, 09:43 AM) [snapback]422928[/snapback]

Wasn't Duva more like the cheerleader, Georgie Benton was more the technical trainer I thought in camps? Benton also had Holyfield and Mel Taylor too.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Method @ Jan 29 2009, 04:58 AM) [snapback]422906[/snapback]
Roger Bloodworth doesn't train Winky Wright. He trains Lacy. Dan Birmingham trains Wright. I wouldnt necessarily say Wright carried Birmingham.

Thanks for clearing that up, I knew I was not sure. Well, then Bloodworth still sucks IMO because Lacy has made Zero improvements, and in between rounds of his fights is so frustrating to the lack of good advice I hear. I know I good give better advice.
Spyder
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Jan 29 2009, 01:06 PM) [snapback]422955[/snapback]
Thanks for clearing that up, I knew I was not sure. Well, then Bloodworth still sucks IMO because Lacy has made Zero improvements, and in between rounds of his fights is so frustrating to the lack of good advice I hear. I know I good give better advice.

Well to be fair...Lacy trained with Birmingham as an amateur, and went to bloodworth when he turned pro. He went back to Birmingham for a few fights, but now I think he's back with Roger.

So, I'd let both of them shoulder the responsibility of not developing his defense.
Method
Yeah, but, to say Lacy carried ANYBODY, would also insinuate that Lacy got somewhere with them on his back. prior to winning his belt, well, I don't recall Lacy having any major, career defining wins. I would think you'd need that to argue a trainer was "carried"
Romulus9
My vote goes to anyone who wins with Buddy McGirt in the corner.

Anyone.

Ever.

A close second goes to Pepe Correa.
D-MARV
QUOTE(wvu8893 @ Jan 29 2009, 11:06 PM) [snapback]423046[/snapback]
My vote goes to anyone who wins with Buddy McGirt in the corner.

Anyone.

Ever.
A close second goes to Pepe Correa.

That gameplan he drew up for Gatti against Mayweather had to be the worst shit I have ever seen.
Achille
QUOTE(Box in Hand @ Jan 28 2009, 09:56 PM) [snapback]422853[/snapback]

I pretty much agree with this, Coach Merk is part of Roy's down fall at the older age. He doesn't show any urgency when Roy fights, not being real with him by not telling him he losing etc. He makes it seem like Roy has everything under control even when he getting blown out, I seen it happen in the Glenn Johnson fight and Calzaghe fight. Roy is past it now but I wonít give him a chance to win a big fight again, until he gets a new trainer to add some new blood to his regimen. Coach Merc and he act too much like friends to be 100% focused. Whatís up with Roy sparring and training with these dudes who are out of shape as he gets older? Thatís not going to help you win big fights sparring with fat dudes that can barely move.
Snoop
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 30 2009, 11:59 AM) [snapback]423065[/snapback]
That gameplan he drew up for Gatti against Mayweather had to be the worst shit I have ever seen.

I just re-watched Gatti-Mayweather. Gatti trying to box was the stupidest fucking strategy that I've seen in boxing.
Snoop
I don't know who Paul William's trainer is, but whoever he is, PW is carrying that fool. In fact, ANYONE that trains Paul Williams is being carried.
Method
...and pretty much the reason Roy went with Merk was because he knew that Merk would basically fall in line w whatever Roy wanted to do.
Snoop
Who was the trainer that took on Tyson after he was released from prison? Jay Bright? That guy had ZERO boxing knowledge and even less of a backbone when it came to coaching Tyson.
King Eugene
So tell me something, who do you guys think should have been matched with who to make them a better fighter? Meaning what trainer should have been matched with what fighter to help develop that fighter?

The only thing Roger can train is a foreigner how to use curse words properly in sentences. LOL
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.