Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shane Mosley v.s Paul Williams
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Mean Mister Mustard
Shane Mosley is red hot right now amongst the fans and so is Paul Williams. So I ask you, if they were to fight tomorrow who would win?

My take is that what Mosley could do to Margarito he could do to Williams. ONe of the differences between Williams and Margs though, is that he is faster, and has a tighter defense. He still gets hit flush too much and as we saw against Quintana he is easily outmuscled. If Mosley fights like Ricky Hatton again I can see him outhustling Paul Williams.
JD
Williams by decision.

KookedKrack
mosley by tko paul williams' defense is terrible ......quintana gave the blue print on beating him shane would tag his ass all night long with rights
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 29 2009, 06:01 PM) [snapback]422997[/snapback]
Mosley could win, but I doubt very highly he would do what he did to Margarito. Williams has some handspeed, he can punch long and unlike Margarito won't get hit 5 times by the time he has throw one.
Very interesting fight and a fight I would love to see and I haven't thought about it yet. Knowing how Mosley is, this is a probable fight also as we know that there is no such thing for big risk/low reward deal for Shane. This is a tough fight to pick for me right now, though I would lean towards Williams.

The first thing that came to mind as well was the height. WOuld this be a repeat of the Forrest fight? I don't know. Williams seems to like fighitng more on the inside but like Margarito, his long arms can be a weakness in there. Plus he is very hittable even though he has tightened his defense. I haven't seen a hard jab from him either which is what Forrest, Wright and Cotto all used to pile up points. I just think that with Mosley's Hattonesque style he could win.
BigG
WOuld this be a repeat of the Forrest fight?

The only thing similar in Williams and Forrest is the height. Forrest to me was a more precise puncher, more skilled fighter, and a more solid boxer. Forrest is just a better fighter than Williams is IMO. The only thing Paul might have over Forrest is chin..because I saw Paul take a shitload of big punches from Carlos Quintana and not get too hurt maybe buzzed but not too hurt. But still, he was getting hit with some HARD punches in that fight.

I think it would be more difficult than the Margarito fight because styles but Paul's lack of defense could get him hurt.
KookedKrack
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jan 29 2009, 06:12 PM) [snapback]423002[/snapback]
Paul's lack of defense will get him hurt.

fixed.

I'm not completely sold on paul williams yet i don't know what it is maybe I'm just hating but aside from his size i dont think he is anything special
The Original MrFactor
Williams D12. Shane had trouble getting to Forest and Wright. They were both bigger and fought him that way. Williams is even bigger than both along with being a southpaw. Mosley will have trouble with all of those factors.
Mean Mister Mustard
I agree with BG that Forrest is a sharper boxer than Williams. Then again I also agree with Fitz when he says Mosley might not be able to repeat the same performance. Mosley is much stronger than Williams but that might not mean anything if Mosley can't get inside.
KookedKrack
even without putting on a performance like he did last weekend with bro naz in his corner and with his experience/skill Shane can beat anyone at 147 imo

shit NO ONE can put on a performance like that all the time lol
hardhead
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 29 2009, 11:01 PM) [snapback]422997[/snapback]
Mosley could win, but I doubt very highly he would do what he did to Margarito. Williams has some handspeed, he can punch long and unlike Margarito won't get hit 5 times by the time he has throw one.
Very interesting fight and a fight I would love to see and I haven't thought about it yet. Knowing how Mosley is, this is a probable fight also as we know that there is no such thing for big risk/low reward deal for Shane. This is a tough fight to pick for me right now, though I would lean towards Williams.

I agree about Mosley's mentality, if there's any welter that's likely to give Williams a shot, it's Mosley but from reading that interview with Nazeem Richardson it seems Mosley really wants that Cotto rematch first.

This would be an EXCELLENT fight though no doubt in my mind
kidbazooka1
If Mosley fights the way he did against Margarito i think he'll stop Willaims late in the fight but at 37 Mosley can only look good for so long.
Snoop
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Jan 30 2009, 01:14 AM) [snapback]423013[/snapback]
If Mosley fights the way he did against Margarito i think he'll stop Willaims late in the fight but at 37 Mosley can only look good for so long.

I dunno man. If BHop can continue to surprise us at 43, I don't see why Mosley can't do the same. I've never heard him having bad lifestyle habits (PLEASE, don't talk about the steroids), in terms of excessive drinking or smoking.
D-MARV
Huge fan of both men....

Paul Williams would win by UD. I guess I'm the only PWill hugger here. There will be more huggers after he Destroys Winky!
Snoop
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 30 2009, 03:45 AM) [snapback]423033[/snapback]
Huge fan of both men....
Paul Williams would win by UD. I guess I'm the only PWill hugger here. There will be more huggers after he Destroys Winky!

Nah I'm a huge fan of PW as well. He's really the only one I can see beating Mayweather. Well, with the performance Shane gave last Saturday, I'd have to think about that statement.
D-MARV
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Jan 29 2009, 09:53 PM) [snapback]423037[/snapback]
Nah I'm a huge fan of PW as well. He's really the only one I can see beating Mayweather. Well, with the performance Shane gave last Saturday, I'd have to think about that statement.

Good Shit Snoop...

We need to start a PWILL bandwagon!!
Snoop
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 30 2009, 03:56 AM) [snapback]423038[/snapback]
Good Shit Snoop...

We need to start a PWILL bandwagon!!

Yeah! Can we do the opposite of a "hatewagon", or do you think that will only start a "PWILL Hatewagon". Depends on how obnoxious we get I suppose.
D-MARV
We can call it "The Official Paul Williams will be P4P King" bandwagon...

LOL
Mean Mister Mustard
Mosley doesn't have the defense that allows Hopkins to last into the 40's. At least he has the roids. Williams stock is going to go down because Wright will make him look bad. It really should not go down but that is how most of the media and fans are, one bad performance and you suck.
Big Slim Sweet
Williams is huge but he doesn't fight tall the way Vernon and Winky do. He loves to get into the trenches and rumble, and if he did that against Mosley he'd be a damn fool.

One thing you can bank on, Naz will come up with a totally different fight plan against Paul than the one they came up with against Tony. Like he said, Shane has a lot of different weapons and they'd definitely go back to the lab figuring out which ones to use.

I think in the end Shane would hurt Paul a lot more than Paul would hurt Shane but it's hard for me to pick against Williams by decision in this matchup.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jan 29 2009, 11:34 PM) [snapback]423042[/snapback]
At least he has the roids.

nono.gif
The CEO
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jan 29 2009, 05:52 PM) [snapback]422994[/snapback]
If Mosley fights like Ricky Hatton again I can see him outhustling Paul Williams.

QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jan 29 2009, 06:08 PM) [snapback]423001[/snapback]
I just think that with Mosley's Hattonesque style he could win.

focus.gif

laugh.gif

Nobody's addressed these outlandish claims....I guess y'all know MMM is saying that shit just for me...
Lil-lightsout
Definately not on the PW bandwagon yet, especially after looking very inexperienced against Quintana in there first fight. As of late though he has looked good and seemed to have improved some. I need to see PW in some stiffer competition to see more of what he is truly made of before picking him against Mosely. Remember all the guys saying PW would be Floyd before the Quintana fight? Mayweather would have embarrassed him, and I hate to admit that. Now PW is young and is improving and maybe eventually will be is good as some think he is, just right now I would give the edge to Shane due to his way better experience and going off what I saw last Saturday night. Plus I truly think PW would be a little weak these days if he went back down to welterweight. This guy has been fighting at middleweight and jr. middleweight. No freaking way is he going to be as strong back at WW, then when he was up at the higher weights. Ask ODLH how that worked out for him dropping back down to WW. So if they would fight this year, give me Shane my unanimous decision or late stoppage.
Snoop
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 30 2009, 04:11 AM) [snapback]423041[/snapback]
We can call it "The Official Paul Williams will be P4P King" bandwagon...
LOL

Let's do it!
D-MARV
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jan 29 2009, 10:34 PM) [snapback]423042[/snapback]
Mosley doesn't have the defense that allows Hopkins to last into the 40's. At least he has the roids. Williams stock is going to go down because Wright will make him look bad. It really should not go down but that is how most of the media and fans are, one bad performance and you suck.

That will not happen...

People will be amazed on how easily PWill defeats Winky!
Snoop
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 30 2009, 12:02 PM) [snapback]423066[/snapback]
That will not happen...

People will be amazed on how easily PWill defeats Winky!

Or any other fighter from 147-160 for that matter!
buford54
Williams would beat Shane handily.
He doesn't have to fight tall. Forrest and Winky were taller than Shane and fought like it. Williams is WAY taller and has MUCH longer arms than Shane. Even if he fights small, he still has a huge size advantage.
Also, he throws 100 punches pre round.
Shane has never had the best defense. If PW doesn't stop throwing punches for 12 rounds, I don't think Shane has a shot.

I don't see the fight happening. PW is fighting Winky at 160? I doubt a guy that big drops back down 13 pounds without doing some damage to himself.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Jan 30 2009, 01:04 AM) [snapback]423051[/snapback]
Nobody's addressed these outlandish claims....I guess y'all know MMM is saying that shit just for me...

Am I starting to detect a little anti-Mosley backlash coming from MMM? The Hatton comparisons, the steroid references.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Jan 30 2009, 01:28 PM) [snapback]423104[/snapback]
Am I starting to detect a little anti-Mosley backlash coming from MMM? The Hatton comparisons, the steroid references.

Let's look at the facts, the guy admitted to using roids, he held a lot against Margarito and even fought dirty. Not criticizing him for that, in fact I kind of like it when a fighter uses inside game. like that. I'm not just saying this to piss CEO off, it's the truth, that is how Mosley fought.
Big Slim Sweet
Hatton holds so much his fights get boring frequently. This fight wasn't boring in the least. I felt like Shane's holding - and fighting style in general against Tony - was more on par with Holyfield against Tyson. He held when he had to. When he wasn't holding he was throwing bombs.

And the steroid thing was over five years ago. It really shouldn't keep getting mentioned constantly. I don't recall ayone harping on it after Shane fought Cotto or Mayorga. If it wasn't for this situation with Margarito and the hand wraps I doubt we'd be hearing so much about it right now.
The CEO
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jan 30 2009, 02:19 PM) [snapback]423114[/snapback]
Let's look at the facts, the guy admitted to using roids, he held a lot against Margarito and even fought dirty. Not criticizing him for that, in fact I kind of like it when a fighter uses inside game. like that. I'm not just saying this to piss CEO off, it's the truth, that is how Mosley fought (like Hatton).

wtf.gif

QUOTE(Big Slim @ Jan 30 2009, 01:28 PM) [snapback]423104[/snapback]

smile_anim.gif
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Jan 30 2009, 04:24 PM) [snapback]423125[/snapback]
wtf.gif
smile_anim.gif

Well he did get caught using roids what can I say? Just as I will never be able to look at Margarito fight again without wondering what are in his gloves, I will never look at Mosley the same again. I will say this though, let em all juice!
D-MARV
I dont know why you think MOsley fought like Hatton... He fought NOTHING like Hatton. He held when Margarito got inside but Mosley's offensive attack was TOTALLY different than Hatton's.
Mean Mister Mustard
Of course he didn't EXACTLY fight like him but he fought very similarly, he held a hell of a lot and headbutted a couple of times. I think if he does the same thing to Williams he could win.
The CEO
Jesus, MMM...."very similarly"....what's wrong, bro?...lol...you're off on this...

How Mosley fought Margarito was NOTHING like how Hatton fought Collazo, Urango, and Tszyu....
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Jan 30 2009, 11:05 PM) [snapback]423208[/snapback]
Jesus, MMM...."very similarly"....what's wrong, bro?...lol...you're off on this...

How Mosley fought Margarito was NOTHING like how Hatton fought Collazo, Urango, and Tszyu....

Of course it wasn't, Hatton jumps in as he punches, Mosley doesn't. I'm not surprised Mosley fought this way seeing how he used to lift weights, he is very strong and knew how to outhustle Margarito on the inside.
Snoop
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jan 31 2009, 03:11 AM) [snapback]423160[/snapback]
Well he did get caught using roids what can I say? Just as I will never be able to look at Margarito fight again without wondering what are in his gloves, I will never look at Mosley the same again. I will say this though, let em all juice!

That reminds me of a joke comedian Daniel Tosh made. It went something like, "I think pro athletes should be forced to do steroids. I think we as fans deserve the greatest athletes science can create. Let's go. Anything that will make you run faster, jump higher; I have high definition TV, I want my athlete's like I have my video games, let's go. I could care less if you die at 40, you hate life after sports anyways, I'm doing you a favor." laugh.gif
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Jan 31 2009, 02:07 AM) [snapback]423271[/snapback]
That reminds me of a joke comedian Daniel Tosh made. It went something like, "I think pro athletes should be forced to do steroids. I think we as fans deserve the greatest athletes science can create. Let's go. Anything that will make you run faster, jump higher; I have high definition TV, I want my athlete's like I have my video games, let's go. I could care less if you die at 40, you hate life after sports anyways, I'm doing you a favor." laugh.gif

LOL that's good. THe only problem with jucing is that some may not be able to afford it and others would then have an advantage. Pretty much like it is happening today.
Snoop
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jan 31 2009, 04:44 PM) [snapback]423304[/snapback]
LOL that's good. THe only problem with jucing is that some may not be able to afford it and others would then have an advantage. Pretty much like it is happening today.

Well I imagine under the Daniel Tosh scenario, the league of whatever sport would be responsible for handling the financial costs.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Jan 31 2009, 11:37 AM) [snapback]423316[/snapback]
Well I imagine under the Daniel Tosh scenario, the league of whatever sport would be responsible for handling the financial costs.

That's the problem, boxing has no league.
Snoop
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jan 31 2009, 06:28 PM) [snapback]423324[/snapback]
That's the problem, boxing has no league.

Well then, maybe the commission. LOL. What are we doing?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.