Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dibella says Berto is avalable to fight Cotto in the summer if Margarito cant.
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
frankypc
Just read an article from puerto rico local news paper, el nuevo dia wich has an extract from a boxingscene article in wich DiBella said that in case margo cant fight berto wants to fight cotto in the summer. Thoughts?

My huble opinion is that some of you were damm right. DiBella has a nack for throwing his fighters in to the wolfs just to see what happens, its a win win situation. If Berto wins he becomes one of the bet welters if he doesnt he lost to one of the best so no shame in that.

http://www.elnuevodia.com/diario/noticia/b...en_junio/525345
D-MARV
That would be a very exciting fight. I'll have to wait and see Cotto back in the ring before I make a prediction. But either way it would be fireworks.
stateofthegame
It will be a huge step, and could be exciting only because both guys have questions about them. What Dibella will hope for is that if Berto loses he puts on a performance like Paulie where his name gains instead of falls, and if he gets wiped out he dumps him. That is why he put Paulie against Cotto, he wanted to drop him and thought Cotto would destroy him and it did not happen. The plan backfired on him. Paulie got more popular, and then went on a short run.

I know it gets to a point where you have to let your guy step up to elite fights, but most of the time promoters have a second agenda to that as well.
boxingbiz
I do not see this ending well for Berto to be honest. However, I will have to wait and see if Cotto is the same Cotto.
Chi-Town
This is why I rerspect Lou Dibella more than any other promoter. He matches his guys very competitively once they start peaking, unlike other promoters who just try to milk the rankings for long as possible. I say why not match your guy competitively once he reaches a certain point. Why not find out if he's truly something special. I think it is so short sighted the way that most promoters wait until they are ready to cash in on a guy before matching him tough.
jp
If Collazo was buzzing Berto with his shots then Miguel's going to kill him. Berto likes to trade too much and doesn't have the defense to get out of the way of Cotto's punches.

Cotto KO5 if he has anything left.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(frankypc @ Jan 30 2009, 07:57 AM) [snapback]423069[/snapback]
Just read an article from puerto rico local news paper, el nuevo dia wich has an extract from a boxingscene article in wich DiBella said that in case margo cant fight berto wants to fight cotto in the summer. Thoughts?

My huble opinion is that some of you were damm right. DiBella has a nack for throwing his fighters in to the wolfs just to see what happens, its a win win situation. If Berto wins he becomes one of the bet welters if he doesnt he lost to one of the best so no shame in that.

http://www.elnuevodia.com/diario/noticia/b...en_junio/525345

This is a dumb fight for the Cotto people to take - unless they're afraid that Mosley will finish the job that Cheatarito started...
Douchebag
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Jan 30 2009, 12:08 PM) [snapback]423082[/snapback]
This is a dumb fight for the Cotto people to take - unless they're afraid that Mosley will finish the job that Cheatarito started...

I disagree that it's a dumb fight for Cotto in fact It's a very good fight for Cotto. He gets to silence anybody that thinks the Fraudarito fight took something from him by handing what some are saying is the future of the WW division his first loss, and he gets to turn the Mosley fight from a just rematch that at this point would have to favor Mosley to a mega fight that will be a toss up. I say take the Berto fight if the fraud is suspended. Not only that he gets to fight a guy with comparable speed and power to Mosley before he actually fights him which will not hurt either.
Snoop
QUOTE(Chi-Town @ Jan 30 2009, 04:52 PM) [snapback]423076[/snapback]
This is why I rerspect Lou Dibella more than any other promoter. He matches his guys very competitively once they start peaking, unlike other promoters who just try to milk the rankings for long as possible. I say why not match your guy competitively once he reaches a certain point. Why not find out if he's truly something special. I think it is so short sighted the way that most promoters wait until they are ready to cash in on a guy before matching him tough.

I would respect DiBella more if he let Berto carry out the promise he made to Collazo. But hey, it might not be DiBella's fault either.
PUERTOROCKS
Cotto by brutal ko if he is the same fighter....
hardhead
QUOTE(Chi-Town @ Jan 30 2009, 03:52 PM) [snapback]423076[/snapback]

I agree.
BoxingStill#1
Due to Berto's Lack of solid defense, this would indeed make for a competitive fight.....Cotto by mid stoppage, pending his performance against Jennings.
Spyder
Where are you guys getting this lack of defense thing?

Berto has extremely fast feet...just as fast as Shane's...I think Berto's willingness to trade with fighter's that he has out-gunned has mislead your opinions of his abilities.

Andre Berto would fight Miguel Cotto completely different than he fought Luis Collazo.
Spyder
Naw Fitz, Andre Berto has boxed since he was 8 years old...you don't step in the ring that many times without learning how to place your feet.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(jp @ Jan 30 2009, 12:28 PM) [snapback]423080[/snapback]
If Collazo was buzzing Berto with his shots then Miguel's going to kill him. Berto likes to trade too much and doesn't have the defense to get out of the way of Cotto's punches.

Cotto KO5 if he has anything left.

Callazo caught Berto when he was off balance in the first round..

I would like Berto to start boxing more like he used to but it seems like he is becoming a different fighter than I thought he'd be..Can't be too sure yet..I'm still a huge fan of his and think this would be a great fight..
Spyder
I think that Berto fell in love with his power, much like Shane did when he moved up in weight.

That completely explains his change in style that Jonny was saying...and the "hopping" around. He did that in an amateur fight that I was at too. I think he's trying to keep his stance ready to throw big shots...it's good if you can do it, but it takes a lot more energy to do that than it would to just walk.
BoxingStill#1
point is simple though.....Berto gets hit entirely too much to trade with Cotto
jp
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Feb 1 2009, 11:05 PM) [snapback]423450[/snapback]
Callazo caught Berto when he was off balance in the first round..

Berto got hit cleanly more than a couple times in that fight, granted Collazo didn't have him out on his feet, Andre hasn't exactly shown that he has a granite chin. If he's getting buzzed by Collazo and getting put on his ass by Cosme Rivera than how do you think Berto is going to react when he's in there with Cotto.

Miguel can crack about as hard as anyone at 147, he does great work to the body, can box very well when he wants to, has better overall footwork and defense than Berto, has faced superior competition, etc etc etc. I think both fighters put their punches together very well, berto's combinations are a little more flashier but I think overall Cotto's will end up doing more damage. I'd give Andre the nod in speed and conditioning

It should be an exciting fight while it lasts, I don't think Berto will see the 6th round.
jp
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 2 2009, 07:05 PM) [snapback]423509[/snapback]
Nobody is saying he has a granite chin, I for one think his whiskers are suspect. It's more the fact that people use the term "hurt", "rocked" or "buzzed" very loosely. As I don't really recall him being really hurt, and most times people reference the first round as him being hurt. He certainly wasn't in that round.

I never used the 1st round as a reference point, I'm using the entire fight (as well as his fight w/ Rivera).

Berto was getting hit cleanly throughout his fight w Collazo and there were times where those shots had a visable effect, use whatever adjective you want.

Was Berto on queer street and ready to get KO'd? Absolutely not......has he shown that his chin is going to hold up to what cotto brings to the table? I'm not positive but I'm inclined to say no <- This being the point that I was trying to make from the beginning.
Spyder
I tend to agree...Cotto might have too much fire power for Berto to withstand.

We'll see. Berto hasn't had that break-out fight though, so maybe this will be it.

*Did that read like a biggeorge post or what? lol
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Spyder @ Feb 2 2009, 03:00 PM) [snapback]423493[/snapback]
I think that Berto fell in love with his power, much like Shane did when he moved up in weight.

That completely explains his change in style that Jonny was saying...and the "hopping" around. He did that in an amateur fight that I was at too. I think he's trying to keep his stance ready to throw big shots...it's good if you can do it, but it takes a lot more energy to do that than it would to just walk.

Fitz,I might of said the hopping thing in a different thread or it might of been from a PM I sent Spyder a couple days ago..There are 3 different styles of footwork in my opinion..There are hoppers like Ali,W. Klitchko,Holyfield,Zab Judah,DLH..Walkers like Margarito,Rahman,Toney..Then the sliders like Sugar Ray Robinson and Joe Louis..The sliding in the hardest footwork style to see..You think the guy is walking but he is using the ball of his foot to slide,which uses no energy at all..I was a hopper but I'm becoming a slider..Sliding is hard to pick up but is the best footwork out there since you can move faster and use no energy..Sliders are also set up to punch at all times unlike the walkers..Hoppers use the most energy,then walkers,then sliders..Sliders never pick their foot up off the ground(only the heel)..Watch Sugar Ray vs. Carmen Basilio and watch Ray's footwork..It's amazing!!You'll see what sliding is all about..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(jp @ Feb 2 2009, 06:32 PM) [snapback]423504[/snapback]
Berto got hit cleanly more than a couple times in that fight, granted Collazo didn't have him out on his feet, Andre hasn't exactly shown that he has a granite chin. If he's getting buzzed by Collazo and getting put on his ass by Cosme Rivera than how do you think Berto is going to react when he's in there with Cotto.

Miguel can crack about as hard as anyone at 147, he does great work to the body, can box very well when he wants to, has better overall footwork and defense than Berto, has faced superior competition, etc etc etc. I think both fighters put their punches together very well, berto's combinations are a little more flashier but I think overall Cotto's will end up doing more damage. I'd give Andre the nod in speed and conditioning

It should be an exciting fight while it lasts, I don't think Berto will see the 6th round.

I'm not going to lie,at times I thought Berto was going to be KO'd but he is a warrior and never was hurt in the fight..He may of stopped punching after being hit with hard shots back to back but he never looked to be about to fall..Callazo did good work to Berto's body but Berto did more which is what fazed Callazo so much..Left hooks to the body were taking a lot out of Callazo but he didn't know it right away..

By the way,Cotto's hopping is what took a lot of stamina out of him in the Margarito fight..He looked real good up on his toes but I think it had a serious effect..
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(jp @ Feb 2 2009, 04:32 PM) [snapback]423504[/snapback]

Didn't Zab Judah go 11 rounds with Cotto?
Fitz
jp
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Feb 2 2009, 11:19 PM) [snapback]423525[/snapback]
Didn't Zab Judah go 11 rounds with Cotto?

The Zab that fought cotto>The current version of Andre Berto

Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(jp @ Feb 3 2009, 03:30 PM) [snapback]423570[/snapback]
The Zab that fought cotto>The current version of Andre Berto

I would not agree with that. Besides Zab catching Cotto twice and NOT finishing him, Zab was very defensive in the fight and fought very sporadically. Cotto gave him a bad beating, and at this point atleast Berto showed some heart and will be throwing more punches in there. Not saying Berto can beat Cotto, but I give him a better shot then Zab. The last time I saw Zab and he looked like championship material, was his rematch win over Spinks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.