Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Archie Moore vs. Roy Jones Jr.
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Classic Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
JonnyBlaze
Who do ya all think would win this and why??I hope none of you pick Roy because you might like him more since there are quite a few of you are all up on his nuts..I'm interested to see who you all pick though..I know I did a Toney/Archie topic before but I think Roy and Archie would be a better fight to see than Toney/Archie..

My pick is Archie by a 7-8 round KO..Once Archie caught Roy(which he would),Roy would be all done in..Archie is the hardest puncher ever at light heavyweight(he is the all time KO king)..Archie knew how to punch unlike most fighters..Archie is the one who also made George Foreman so great at mind games in his come back..If it weren't for Archie,Saddler would of never beaten Willie Pep..Saddler learned how to punch from Archie too..Anyway,Roy and Archie are both really hard to hit but I think Archie had more tricks up his sleeve..Roy would be faster and Archie would have a lot better technique and boxing skills..
BigG
As much as I would have loved to see Moore thrash Roy, I think Jones has too much speed and wins a UD.
STEVENSKI
Moore thrashes Roy worse than all his losses combined. Way too much skill, guile, savvy & moxy. This is not even up for debate IMO & Johnny you need your dumb Irish head examined for bringing it up. What's the matter potato eater you get some fucking concussion in sparring or something?
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Jan 31 2009, 02:37 AM) [snapback]423254[/snapback]
Moore thrashes Roy worse than all his losses combined. Way too much skill, guile, savvy & moxy. This is not even up for debate IMO & Johnny you need your dumb Irish head examined for bringing it up. What's the matter potato eater you get some fucking concussion in sparring or something?

hahahaha..Well obviously not since it's 2-1 for Archie..Talk to biggeorge if ya think I need my head examined for bringing it up..

I'd rather eat potatoes instead of whole kangeroos like your fat ass..
STEVENSKI
Hey a big unit needs big fuel but not ripped fuel like Roy.

George is a idiot & you should not listen to what he says, he thinks Judah could have been a great fighter for fucks sake. G is like one of those kids that goes with the guy offering them candy - very easily led & influenced.

Moore was way way way too experienced in the art of fighting let alone boxing to fall for any of Roy's clownish bullshit. Moore was the real deal not a former crackhead or garbage man or off duty cop but a professional fighter who came up the hard way. Moore fought full time professional fighters who fought for a living not to make some extra bones on the side.

Snoop
I see a thread with "Roy Jones" with STEVENSKI as the latest poster and already know I'm in for a good laugh. laugh.gif
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Jan 31 2009, 02:47 AM) [snapback]423258[/snapback]
Hey a big unit needs big fuel but not ripped fuel like Roy.

George is a idiot & you should not listen to what he says, he thinks Judah could have been a great fighter for fucks sake. G is like one of those kids that goes with the guy offering them candy - very easily led & influenced.

Moore was way way way too experienced in the art of fighting let alone boxing to fall for any of Roy's clownish bullshit. Moore was the real deal not a former crackhead or garbage man or off duty cop but a professional fighter who came up the hard way. Moore fought full time professional fighters who fought for a living not to make some extra bones on the side.

You love steroid talk when Roy is brought up..I should of known better when I started the thread that you would soon be around..hahahaha..

I completely agree with ya about what ya said about Archie..I just got done reading a book all about Archie today.."The Ageless Warrior" is a bad ass book and I recommend every one of you to read it..
STEVENSKI
I may talk a lot of shit about Roy & roids & all that but seriously I think that Moore would have kicked his arse all over the shop. When you put a slick boxer who relies on athleticism vs a highly skilled boxer/fighter who has seen & done it all there is only one realistic outcome IMO.
BigG
It's not out of question that Roy at his very best wins. And trust me, I'm a much bigger Moore fan than I am Roy. Jones speed advantage is massive. It might look like Toney-Jones all over again except closer.
STEVENSKI
Want to buy some of my snake oil G? It is selling fast so get in quick! laugh.gif

For the record I love G & his blatant nuthugging of fighters is classic. He always has a new flavour of the month does Baskin George & he always picks obscure fighters like Raheem who he was all over after he beat Morales. What was funnier is G loves Morales but he sold out Erik quickly. Not a guy to be stuck ina fox hole is our George as you would be a victim of "friendly fire" as soon as the enemy got near laugh.gif
BigG
Sorry STEVENSKI, the classic fighter losses to Roy Jones Jr.....y'all MUSTVE FORGOT!

Archie was shorter and slower than Jones...that alone gives Jones a chance.

Hey, I never sold out Erik. I love him to death and was almost in tears watching him get KO'd against Pac..

I just liked Raheem because EVERYONE in the board hated him...kind of how you and Fitz liked John Ruiz...laugh.gif
Snoop
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Jan 31 2009, 07:58 AM) [snapback]423263[/snapback]
I may talk a lot of shit about Roy & roids & all that but seriously I think that Moore would have kicked his arse all over the shop. When you put a slick boxer who relies on athleticism vs a highly skilled boxer/fighter who has seen & done it all there is only one realistic outcome IMO.

No I think you're quite serious and reasonable with the matchup. It's when your hatred for Roy spills over into insulting the other posters that I get a kick outta it. laugh.gif
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jan 31 2009, 07:06 AM) [snapback]423270[/snapback]
Sorry STEVENSKI, the classic fighter losses to Roy Jones Jr.....y'all MUSTVE FORGOT!

Archie was shorter and slower than Jones...that alone gives Jones a chance.

Hey, I never sold out Erik. I love him to death and was almost in tears watching him get KO'd against Pac..

I just liked Raheem because EVERYONE in the board hated him...kind of how you and Fitz liked John Ruiz...laugh.gif

Shorter & slower sure. Able to slip inside & BBQ those ribs most surely.

Oh yeah you sold Erik down the river to knob jockey Raheem. It is like you spat on Erik when he was down & then danced on his grave after Pac whooped it up on him to complete the disprespect. You probably partied with MAB as well just to rub it all in.

I love Jawny because he never gets the respect he surely deserves. He used his limited skills to fight & travels overseas to win & get jobbed on the scorecards. He tries to fight a exciting fight & not clinch & when he gets ripped off nothing gets said but when Holyfield has that happen everyone is up in arms talking about robberies. The guy just cannot catch a break with the fans & everyone only wants to remember the Tua Ko 45 years ago.
BigG
But Raheem never got the respect he TRULY deserved...laugh.gif
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jan 31 2009, 07:27 AM) [snapback]423281[/snapback]
But Raheem never got the respect he TRULY deserved...laugh.gif

Lets rephrase that. Never deserved the respect he got.
Snoop
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Jan 31 2009, 08:53 AM) [snapback]423283[/snapback]
Lets rephrase that. Never deserved the respect he got.

People had respect for Raheem?
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Jan 31 2009, 08:02 AM) [snapback]423284[/snapback]
People had respect for Raheem?

Oh yeah he even had a fan club. George was the only member but thats cool.
D-MARV
Roy Jones UD

and I only picked him because I like Roy Jones more than Archie Moore
caneman
I personally feel that even when RJJ was so called untouchable, guys like Moore & Foster could have beat him cause they would have kept coming threw RJJ's punches & pay the cost to get the win!
Mean Mister Mustard
There are some fights where the punching power determines the fight, as we saw in the Urango-Ngoudjo fight. This would be one such fight. JOnes in his prime was extremely difficult to beat because he countered so fast and his reflexes were off the charts. However, like Stevenski said, Moore is an ATG, not some mid level contender. He had skills, wisdom and punching power. The guy went after Marciano so you know he would have gone after Roy Jones. I think somewhere between the 3-4th Moore drops Jones. Maybe RJ gets up and manages to win some rounds, but he would be wary of Moore's power for the whole night and Moore would win a decision simply by outworking him.
Spyder
This is a GREAT matchup...Archie fought a lot like Toney, only was more agressive. I think Roy at his highest level would've been too fast/elusive for the Ole Mongoose though. Archie trying to walk down Roy would spell disaster for him. Roy wouldn't get the KO, but he would rack up enough clean shots to get the win.

I would've LOVED to see that fight!
JLUVBABY
i got to go with roy on this one... i dont think archie had the speed to deal with what roy would bring...
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jan 31 2009, 03:00 AM) [snapback]423265[/snapback]
It's not out of question that Roy at his very best wins. And trust me, I'm a much bigger Moore fan than I am Roy. Jones speed advantage is massive. It might look like Toney-Jones all over again except closer.

Toney in his wildest dreams can't hit as hard as Archie did..I think Roy's speed would allow him to get away with a lot though..It'd be a sweet match to see..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Spyder @ Jan 31 2009, 01:04 PM) [snapback]423321[/snapback]
This is a GREAT matchup...Archie fought a lot like Toney, only was more agressive. I think Roy at his highest level would've been too fast/elusive for the Ole Mongoose though. Archie trying to walk down Roy would spell disaster for him. Roy wouldn't get the KO, but he would rack up enough clean shots to get the win.

I would've LOVED to see that fight!

Spyder,I'm glad you like this match up..Steve thinks I'm stupid for bringing it up..Archie would shit on Toney had they fought..Archie was able to put down Marciano with one right hand..Archie in my opinion is better defensively than Roy and Archie had real good speed at 175..Roy of course would have the speed edge though..

I agree with Caneman that Foster might of been another guy to be able to beat Roy at his best..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 31 2009, 08:58 AM) [snapback]423296[/snapback]
Roy Jones UD

and I only picked him because I like Roy Jones more than Archie Moore

You're bogus!!
Spyder
Roy was so fast, that the other fighter's speed would never be a factor...NO ONE was faster than Roy. I agree that Moore would beat Toney, but their styles are very similar. James was always an old school fighter, fighting in the modern day...and his inability to neutralize Roy's speed and movement is the tell in this matchup.

Like I said in the earlier post, Archie would be more aggressive walking Roy down...and you could argue Glenn Johnson's success with that. But when Roy was at his best, fighters that came at him got eaten alive. His was too quick with his counters AND leads that Archie would either be avoiding or eating leather all night.

I still gotta go with Roy in this.
STEVENSKI
I cannot believe anyone seriously is picking Roy in this one. Are you all on the HBO Kool Aid?

Barring speed Moore had all the other attributes to smash Roy. This is not some overmatched mid level hand picked contender walking forwards throwing looping shots & eating counters this is one of the most experienced fighters in history.
Mean Mister Mustard
In his prime Jones had speed and reflexes that will never be seen again. That would give any fighter in history problems. But if Montell Griffin could dictate the pace against Jones then you have to assume Moore has just as good a chance. Plus he was a harder puncher.
Brad
I have only seen a handful of Archie's fights and every fight in RJ's career so my judgement isn't good on this. Archie has fought them elite all-time greats and Roy hasn't had the same challenges, making the call even harder to compare how they'd fare against eachother, being two elite all time greats. But a RJ-Moore matchup wouldn't be like RJ-Toney unless Old Mongoose was having extreme weight problems as was James Toney at the time of his matchup with RJ. James Toney may have caught up to RJ a whole lot more if he wasn't so drained.

I would say Archie Moore would KO Roy in the later rounds, but looking at their records Roy never lost a fight in his prime and rarely lost a round in his prime, the guy didn't even know what it was like to have his back on the canvas. Archie Moore on the other hand had lost in his prime, was knocked down often throughout his career, and if he was beaten by a guy with a 0 win and 1 loss record then it isn't unthinkable that Roy just may have been better than the 0-1 guy and he would have beaten Archie on that same night or those nights where other regular fighters had Archie's number.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Brad @ Feb 2 2009, 01:23 AM) [snapback]423436[/snapback]
I would say Archie Moore would KO Roy in the later rounds, but looking at their records Roy never lost a fight in his prime and rarely lost a round in his prime, the guy didn't even know what it was like to have his back on the canvas. Archie Moore on the other hand had lost in his prime, was knocked down often throughout his career, and if he was beaten by a guy with a 0 win and 1 loss record then it isn't unthinkable that Roy just may have been better than the 0-1 guy and he would have beaten Archie on that same night or those nights where other regular fighters had Archie's number.

The differnce is that the talent pool was just that much deeper back then & mismatches were more common especially when fighters were early in their career.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Spyder @ Feb 1 2009, 12:06 AM) [snapback]423363[/snapback]
Roy was so fast, that the other fighter's speed would never be a factor...NO ONE was faster than Roy. I agree that Moore would beat Toney, but their styles are very similar. James was always an old school fighter, fighting in the modern day...and his inability to neutralize Roy's speed and movement is the tell in this matchup.

Like I said in the earlier post, Archie would be more aggressive walking Roy down...and you could argue Glenn Johnson's success with that. But when Roy was at his best, fighters that came at him got eaten alive. His was too quick with his counters AND leads that Archie would either be avoiding or eating leather all night.

I still gotta go with Roy in this.

Watch Archie's footwork next time you watch him..Toney walks,Archie slides..SRR and Joe Louis also slide..Archie is one of the smartest fighters ever in boxing so I think he'd be able to get to Roy and KO him..

You also have to remember that Archie was able to knock out heavyweights with one punch while Roy was only able to get a decision against Ruiz..A very old Archie was able to slip and get out of the way of a lot of Ali's punches(first 1-2 rounds)..Archie in his prime would of been able to do more than he did at 46+ years old..
STEVENSKI
Forget it Johnny. This is ROY JONES JR we are talking about. You know Mr Untouchable, Mr Unknockoutable.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Feb 2 2009, 01:05 AM) [snapback]423458[/snapback]
Forget it Johnny. This is ROY JONES JR we are talking about. You know Mr Untouchable, Mr Unknockoutable.

Well,I made this thread so that we could argue/say our opinions on who would win..I guess it wasn't as bad of a idea to make this thread as ya thought..To me and you,Archie all the way but I knew I'd get a lot of people picking Roy which would spark the debate..

Archie like I said is in the top 5 or 10 smartest boxers ever..I wish he only would of given up his secrets before he died,since his skills are something very very rare..Roy had rare abilities(speed/reflexes),Archie had rare skills and rare power..Archie gained so much power through his skills(he obviously had natural power,but he enhanced it a lot)..

Archie also had better mind games than Ali(who do you think taught Ali how to work his mouth??Archie!!!),B-Hop,Toney,and everyone else that any of you could think of..Archie is the one who made Foreman so good at the mind games and his skills in his comeback..If Foreman knew what he learned from Archie in his comeback,he might of been unstoppable back in his younger days..Archie may of been with him for a little while in his younger days,but Foreman never fully focused on what Archie was telling him..I think Tarver psyched Jones out in the second fight a little but so I think Archie would of had Roy's head spinning before they even got in the ring..
STEVENSKI
We know that Johnny but let the kids run with it. We both know Roy is not in the same league as guys like Conn, Forster & Moore.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Feb 2 2009, 11:39 PM) [snapback]423520[/snapback]
We know that Johnny but let the kids run with it. We both know Roy is not in the same league as guys like Conn, Forster & Moore.

hahahaha..I'm just helpin the "kids" learn somethin about one of the best boxers ever to step in the ring..
STEVENSKI
Just remember that the kids today will try & tell you that Lil Wayne or some shit artist like that is the best musician ever. We know better.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Feb 3 2009, 12:19 AM) [snapback]423524[/snapback]
Just remember that the kids today will try & tell you that Lil Wayne or some shit artist like that is the best musician ever. We know better.

For sure..Also,Lil Wayne sucks more than any other artist..Good to see we're on the same page..
Lil-lightsout
Roy in his prime would have wiped the floor with anyone in the past.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Feb 3 2009, 05:15 AM) [snapback]423530[/snapback]

For gods sake please stop.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Feb 3 2009, 01:15 AM) [snapback]423530[/snapback]

So you're sayin that Roy is the best light heavyweight ever??
STEVENSKI
He be smokin the rocks like Antonio dude. Forget it.
Brad
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Feb 3 2009, 12:39 PM) [snapback]423520[/snapback]

the KIDS here are so used to watching sports stars from their generations who are contantly breaking records and are proven to be faster and stronger than athletes of older generations that they just assume that boxers have evolved in the same way into smarter, stronger and faster fighters. Unfortunately for boxers, unlike track & field, there is no distance or time measurements and records where the new generation fighters can show how many areas they are more superior in.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Brad @ Feb 3 2009, 01:57 AM) [snapback]423536[/snapback]
the KIDS here are so used to watching sports stars from their generations who are contantly breaking records and are proven to be faster and stronger than athletes of older generations that they just assume that boxers have evolved in the same way into smarter, stronger and faster fighters. Unfortunately for boxers, unlike track & field, there is no distance or time measurements and records where the new generation fighters can show how many areas they are more superior in.

I don't believe fighters today are physically stronger than fighters from the past..Jack Dempsey for one example has fucked someone up(Jess Willard) more than any fighter has fucked anyone up today..A 180 lber vs. a 250 lber..The same Jess Willard that killed a guy with one right uppercut..Max Baer took 3 lives,2 in the ring and one was dead but didn't know it..George Foreman,Joe Louis,Archie,Sugar Ray(he would of had more KO's had he not carried so many fighters),and Jersey Joe are other examples of "stronger" fighters than today..Some of those guys back then could kill you with 1 punch..Tyson could of never killed someone in the ring with one punch..A lot of you guys will disagree but look at the record books and tell me otherwise..Read up on what Dempsey did to Willard(without loaded gloves),and tell me Tyson hit harder than this 180 lb. man..
Brad
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Feb 3 2009, 03:09 PM) [snapback]423539[/snapback]
I don't believe fighters today are physically stronger than fighters from the past..Jack Dempsey for one example has fucked someone up(Jess Willard) more than any fighter has fucked anyone up today..A 180 lber vs. a 250 lber..The same Jess Willard that killed a guy with one right uppercut..Max Baer took 3 lives,2 in the ring and one was dead but didn't know it..George Foreman,Joe Louis,Archie,Sugar Ray(he would of had more KO's had he not carried so many fighters),and Jersey Joe are other examples of "stronger" fighters than today..Some of those guys back then could kill you with 1 punch..Tyson could of never killed someone in the ring with one punch..A lot of you guys will disagree but look at the record books and tell me otherwise..Read up on what Dempsey did to Willard(without loaded gloves),and tell me Tyson hit harder than this 180 lb. man..

We would have never seen Tyson unload on someone like Dempsey did Willard. I don't think any of Mikes opponents could suffer 7 knockdowns in 1 round and still survive, he normally put them away by the 2nd knockdown. Besides, guys like Roy Jones would have ended any career Jess Willard had, c'mon bro, this was a cowboy for gods sake that started boxing at 30 years old. RJ feasted on guys like that who dreamt of becoming a boxer. Don't think too much into the killing stuff, Jesus Chavez killed a guy in the ring and ain't no body making him out to be a devastating puncher. If a 115 pound comatosing Vic Darchinyan got to stand next to the referree and then unload on his opponents the very moment the ref stopped counting then I think it would be pretty damn brutal too.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Feb 3 2009, 12:36 AM) [snapback]423533[/snapback]

Just messing with you and Steven. Though I will seriously say I do not know a whole lot of the old timers. Like I really have not seen many of the fighters of the 50's,60's, and 70's. I started watching in the 80's, and watching little tidbits of footage of old film here and there give me no real basis to make a real assessment how Roy would have fared with different generations. I will say Roy in his prime would have been tough for anyone to beat at middleweight and super middleweight. Not so sure about light heavyweight, Roy's chin at this weight might become a factor.

BTW, thanks for finally posting a picture of yourself Steven. laugh.gif No wonder you always make these crazy comments.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Brad @ Feb 3 2009, 02:47 AM) [snapback]423541[/snapback]
We would have never seen Tyson unload on someone like Dempsey did Willard. I don't think any of Mikes opponents could suffer 7 knockdowns in 1 round and still survive, he normally put them away by the 2nd knockdown. Besides, guys like Roy Jones would have ended any career Jess Willard had, c'mon bro, this was a cowboy for gods sake that started boxing at 30 years old. RJ feasted on guys like that who dreamt of becoming a boxer. Don't think too much into the killing stuff, Jesus Chavez killed a guy in the ring and ain't no body making him out to be a devastating puncher. If a 115 pound comatosing Vic Darchinyan got to stand next to the referree and then unload on his opponents the very moment the ref stopped counting then I think it would be pretty damn brutal too.

Vic put a guy in a coma from a insane amount of hard punches..Jess Willard killed a guy with ONE uppercut..Max Baer killed a dude with ONE right hand..Willard outweighed Dempsey by 70 lbs..Willard had 6 teeth knocked out,his cheekbone destroyed,a bunch of broken ribs,and his jaw broken in quite a few places..7 knock downs in 1 round showed how tough Willard was cause his body was fucked up and you say Tyson would of stopped him faster??I disagree..Tyson even said he wanted to kill people by knocking their nose bone into their brain but he never did..Tyson never did damage like Dempsey did with his left hook..Willard probably thought he was very close to death that night..

Roy would of never fought a guy like Willard..6'6,250 with deadly power..Roy would of been too scared to even get in the ring with Willard..

Also,Lil-lightsout,Roy's chin would always be a factor at any weight if he was in there with Archie..
BigG
Jesse Willar is one of the worst Heavyweight Champions ever.
Fitz
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Feb 3 2009, 04:36 PM) [snapback]423533[/snapback]

For me wiping the floor with some doesn't mean they are better than then. I would pick a lot of todays modern fighters to beat great fighters of the past, but it doesn't make them greater, it just makes them lucky to live in an age where man has advanced.
I think comparing greatness is totally different than taking a guy from the 20's, 30's 40's or whatever place that exact guy in today and saying the guy from the old age loses. I don't think it reflects on greatness though.
I know I used this analogy before, but you compare a NES to a Wii, wii is more impressive, but not greater. You compare them for their time.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 3 2009, 03:57 AM) [snapback]423548[/snapback]
For me wiping the floor with some doesn't mean they are better than then. I would pick a lot of todays modern fighters to beat great fighters of the past, but it doesn't make them greater, it just makes them lucky to live in an age where man has advanced.
I think comparing greatness is totally different than taking a guy from the 20's, 30's 40's or whatever place that exact guy in today and saying the guy from the old age loses. I don't think it reflects on greatness though.
I know I used this analogy before, but you compare a NES to a Wii, wii is more impressive, but not greater. You compare them for their time.

Well Said!

I guess Im a kid becuase I pick Roy over Moore. I pick Wladmir over Marciano so that makes me an even BIGGER Kid! LMAO, you guys kill me.

Alot of fighters today would dominate older fighters. (Doesn't make them greater) Just like the other day when we had a Willie Pep Vs Mayweather thread... People actually said that Mayweather would look stupid in the ring with Pep!!!! LOL

Golota would have beaten Jack Johnson! That might be another "CHILDISH" remark.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Feb 3 2009, 01:09 AM) [snapback]423539[/snapback]

The guys back then fought more and took overall more punishment. So I think it was probably more dangerous back then. Today's fighters do not fight regulary. Do you think maybe gloves back then were not made as well as today? I would think gloves today should be better and safer, especially the longer fights go. Maybe thats sound stupid to some, but I could see old gloves losing there "padding protection" longer the fight goes. Also, as far as these deaths you are stating, don't you think there would have been less deaths too back then if they were as advanced medically as we are today??? I just do not think your examples can really work in describing how fighters from the past had overall more power.

No freaking way did any 180lb guy hit as hard as Tyson! There is nothing I would read to change my mind.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.