Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Casual Fan Opinions..
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BigG
LOL..strange thread...... but I recently just talked to my sis about boxing..so I decided to make this thread...but what do you think...she is not a fan but joins in when we watch the fights sometimes...

How a casual fan sees things:

-Manny Pacquiao is her favorite fighter. She looks forward to his more than any other fighter. She also thinks no one can beat him at the weight he's in, including Mayweather.

-She's not sure who really won Marquez-Pacquiao II but was glad Pacquiao got the decision.

-She doesn't like Joe Calzaghe and walked out on his fight with Jones Jr. because she thought it didn't have much action after 5 rounds. And didn't really feel like watching Hopkins-Calzaghe.

-She was happy for Manny when he destroyed DLH but she likes DLH as well and I can remember her rooting for him when he fought Fernando Vargas and Mayorga...so she felt bad for him. But when she found he made $20 mil, not so much anymore. She rooted for him when he fought Mayweather.

-She told me Manny Pacquiao could beat Bernard Hopkins laugh.gif

-Margarito-Cotto was one of the most exciting fights she's ever seen. She was sure Cotto was going to win if he didn't get stopped and wanted him to survive but she doesn't understand the 10 point must systme. laugh.gif

-She enjoyed Mayweather-Hatton but she was rooting for Hatton.

-She kinda liked Alfonso from the contender because he was the underdog. laugh.gif
BigG
# How old?
# Do you have pics?

5 years older than me.
No, sorry Fitz.
Snoop
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 5 2009, 07:08 AM) [snapback]423869[/snapback]
  • She sounds like a typical girl
  • How old?
  • Do you have pics?

LMAO! Fitz, man...

But starting a post about your sister, on THIS board? That's like riding a golf cart in a driving range...
BigG
I expected those kind of posts at the start Snoop. laugh.gif

But I actually wanted this thread to be a thread about opinions we've heard from Family/Friends who are casual fans...lol..I'll change the topic title.
BigG
Precisely why I changed it Fitz, you killed the thread with your first post...didn't want this to turn into that kind of thread. laugh.gif
Lil-lightsout
Man I could bring up tons of stories that frustrate the shit out of me.

Went to watch LL train up at the Poconos a few times, got free passes cause my wife was a cocktail waitress for the resort he trained at. It always amazed me the people who would go watch did not even know who he was. Evertime a different big black guy would walk in, they would say there he is. I would correct them and say no, that is just a sparring partner.

Live fights are the worst, I swear it is hilarious to hear some of the crap people say. If you do not know what you are talking about, just shut up and watch, cause I have called many people on bullshit they spew at fights.

I like having people over to watch fights, but sometimes it can be frustrating cause everyone is always flooding me with stupid questions and I am trying to watch the fights. Or worse yet if it is a great undercard fight and I am trying to enjoy it, most of my casual boxing fans are too busy just shooting the shit waiting for the main event missing out.

Most casual fans will always say all of Tyson's fights only ever lasted a minute. And probably 10 years from now that will probably drop down to 30 seconds.

One time I was on the boardwalk in MD, and this drunk Harley dude just noticed my LL-Golota t-shirt I had on. Well he yells at me I want to see Golota fight Tyson, that be a wild fight between two crazy guys. Funny how years later it was made.

My wife always rooted for Oscar and said he was good looking. She also really dug watching Gatti fight, went to see a few live ones with her.

Had a big party for a Tyson PPV in the 90's, the one where Fenech was robbed big time against Nelson in there first fight. Well my friends loved that fight, until the decision was announced. Man that turned them off instantly. Though they were just casual fans, they even knew it was a robbery. Same exact thing with Chavez-Whitaker.

My brother thought he could be a top 10 Middleweight if he wanted to, he always busted on fighters and showed little respect for there skills. This guy had zero amateur fights, strictly street fighter, and all he ever did was hit a heavybag. He would always try to convince me he could hang with top pro's. I always told him he was delusional. He always had about 30-50 pounds on me and I could handle him when we would spar. If only he could have put 2 and 2 together.

King Eugene
I have a female friend who basis her pics soley on who she think is the better looking fighter.

Backstage at one of my shows me and one of the clothing designers where talking about the Hopkins-Pavlik fight and we where going on about how at the age of 43 BHop was still so dominant. Well this other guy who I could tell had little to no knowledge at all blurted out "Hopkins is still fighting, aint he too old, I thought he had to retire already?" I was like WTF? Did I asked him did he think their should be an age limit on boxing. This dude said yea and at the age of 35 they should all have to retire. Me and the designer looked at each other and just shook our head. Then I asked if Mosley, Calzaghe, George Foreman, Ali, Duran, and Glen Johnson should have retired when they turned 35. The only person he knew that I named was Ali and George Foreman. I just ended the conversation and walked away.

I was at work one time and a picture of ODLH was on my screen and this 60 something year old woman walked by and said "aint that the guy that was in the fish net stockings, whats his name again?" LMAO I bout died laughing.

One of the students I mentor thinks BHop is the best fighter of all times. That was fine, but then he said BHop was better than Roy cause Roy could never beat him. Yep, I let him have it. LOL This same student said that Manny was better than Mayweather cause he was on FNRD3 and Floyd wasnt. LOL
King Eugene
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Feb 5 2009, 02:02 AM) [snapback]423886[/snapback]
Man I could bring up tons of stories that frustrate the shit out of me.

Went to watch LL train up at the Poconos a few times, got free passes cause my wife was a cocktail waitress for the resort he trained at. It always amazed me the people who would go watch did not even know who he was. Evertime a different big black guy would walk in, they would say there he is. I would correct them and say no, that is just a sparring partner.

Live fights are the worst, I swear it is hilarious to hear some of the crap people say. If you do not know what you are talking about, just shut up and watch, cause I have called many people on bullshit they spew at fights.

I like having people over to watch fights, but sometimes it can be frustrating cause everyone is always flooding me with stupid questions and I am trying to watch the fights. Or worse yet if it is a great undercard fight and I am trying to enjoy it, most of my casual boxing fans are too busy just shooting the shit waiting for the main event missing out.

Most casual fans will always say all of Tyson's fights only ever lasted a minute. And probably 10 years from now that will probably drop down to 30 seconds.

One time I was on the boardwalk in MD, and this drunk Harley dude just noticed my LL-Golota t-shirt I had on. Well he yells at me I want to see Golota fight Tyson, that be a wild fight between two crazy guys. Funny how years later it was made.

My wife always rooted for Oscar and said he was good looking. She also really dug watching Gatti fight, went to see a few live ones with her.

Had a big party for a Tyson PPV in the 90's, the one where Fenech was robbed big time against Nelson in there first fight. Well my friends loved that fight, until the decision was announced. Man that turned them off instantly. Though they were just casual fans, they even knew it was a robbery. Same exact thing with Chavez-Whitaker.

My brother thought he could be a top 10 Middleweight if he wanted to, he always busted on fighters and showed little respect for there skills. This guy had zero amateur fights, strictly street fighter, and all he ever did was hit a heavybag. He would always try to convince me he could hang with top pro's. I always told him he was delusional. He always had about 30-50 pounds on me and I could handle him when we would spar. If only he could have put 2 and 2 together.

Now thats some funny stuff. LOL
BigG
Then I asked if Mosley, Calzaghe, George Foreman, Ali, Duran, and Glen Johnson

How is a casual fan supposed to know Glen Johnson laugh.gif

I remember one of my buddies going into to school wearing a Jack Dempsey Everlast shirt and I asked him "Dude, do you even know who that is?" laugh.gif

I wanted to use an Uncle of mine as an example because he has some of the crazy ass opinions laugh.gif
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(3King3 @ Feb 5 2009, 02:04 AM) [snapback]423887[/snapback]
One of the students I mentor thinks BHop is the best fighter of all times. That was fine, but then he said BHop was better than Roy cause Roy could never beat him. Yep, I let him have it. LOL This same student said that Manny was better than Mayweather cause he was on FNRD3 and Floyd wasnt. LOL

laugh.gif Good one.
King Eugene
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 5 2009, 02:10 AM) [snapback]423889[/snapback]
How is a casual fans supposed to know Glen Johnson laugh.gif

Yea I know, that was my way in making him think to himself to shut up and not make a fool of himself but of course he didnt.

I know one chic that dont even like Jones and I was talking about him a couple of weeks ago she was like I hate that MF, thats why Anotonio Tarver knocked his ass out and made him retire, he scary ass hasn't fought since. Yep, I let her have it. LOL
BigG
QUOTE(3King3 @ Feb 5 2009, 07:14 AM) [snapback]423891[/snapback]
Yea I know, that was my way in making him think to himself to shut up and not make a fool of himself but of course he didnt.

I know one chic that dont even like Jones and I was talking about him a couple of weeks ago she was like I hate that MF, thats why Anotonio Tarver knocked his ass out and made him retire, he scary ass hasn't fought since. Yep, I let her have it. LOL

LOL..I've never met a casual fan that didn't like Jones Jr...One thing I've noticed is that Manny Pacquiao is the MAN of boxing now. Every casual fan I've ever talked to likes him.

But some of my friends who are casual fans hate Mayweather.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 5 2009, 02:18 AM) [snapback]423892[/snapback]
lol, man. I think you are being a little hard on the guy. For someone that doesn't know anything about boxing and thinking that the retirement age is 35 isn't that embarrassing. Then you tried to pwn him with names that he wouldn't know and to his credit, a lot of others wouldn't know.

The DLH story is funny though, lol.

I layed into him like that cause of the way he just busted into our conversation like he really knew what he was talking about. He said it like BHop should be arrested for still fighting and he didnt have a chance. The bad part about it is, he didnt even know BHop just beat Pavlik.
King Eugene
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 5 2009, 02:34 AM) [snapback]423899[/snapback]
LOL..I've never met a casual fan that didn't like Jones Jr...One thing I've noticed is that Manny Pacquiao is the MAN of boxing now. Every casual fan I've ever talked to likes him.

But same chic hates anybody who talks trash. She hates Jones, Mayweather, BHop, Terrell Owens, and hell for some odd reason she hates Donovan McNabb. LOL She is what you call a full fledged hater.
D-MARV
Here's some things I often here Casual fans say:

-Mike Tyson can come back and clean up the division
-Who's Antonio Margarito?
-When is Trinidad's next Fight?
-Oscar is one of the best fighters in the world right now
-Floyd Mayweather is an All Time Great
-Manny Pacquiao can beat anyone
Snoop
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 5 2009, 07:55 AM) [snapback]423881[/snapback]
I would also like to point out that I am not the only dirty one here, we have a bunch of silent perverts:

As I type this, this thread is less than one hour old and already has more "views" than the "Berto Chat Tonight at 9PM ET" and the "RIP Ingemar Johansson" which had it's last post 4 days ago, lol.

LMAO! WTF do you do in your spare time to have observation skills like that Fitz? How many of those "silent pervs" you think were like, "Ah shit, there's no pics? Fuck this thread." laugh.gif

It actually looks like it had less posts than the RIP thread, but given this one is about someone's sister, and the other is about honoring a fallen boxer, the fact that it was even close, is pretty damn sad. lol.

Haha, sorry BigG, I'll get back to the topic at hand, or at least the one you changed it to. laugh.gif (Just messin' with you bro)
Snoop
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Feb 5 2009, 08:02 AM) [snapback]423886[/snapback]

I remember one time when I was buying my TV and asked the guy about the difference between HD and normal, and he asked what kind of things I like to watch. I told him boxing. He told me he loved to watch boxing too. The last one he had was the Mike Tyson fight, and he said it only lasted 30 seconds, but for that 30 seconds the HD made ALL the difference. At the time, the last guy to fight Tyson was Kevin McBride, so I asked him if Tyson won or not. He said he won and I told him to fuck off and get me an honest salesman.

Snoop
As much as I agree with all the posters of noobie fareweather boxing fans, the sad, sad reality is that we as hardcore boxing junkies NEED the stupid, ignorant ass "fans" to keep this sport afloat.
Romulus9
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Feb 5 2009, 11:04 AM) [snapback]423926[/snapback]
As much as I agree with all the posters of noobie fareweather boxing fans, the sad, sad reality is that we as hardcore boxing junkies NEED the stupid, ignorant ass "fans" to keep this sport afloat.

That is bar none the saddest piece of truth I've ever read on this forum.
lloyd mayflower
spot on about boxing needing casual fans to keep it afloat, problem IMO is the promoters are so fuckin lazy that you have to be a hardcore fan to have any interest in any more than 2 or 3 fights a year, almost every undercard on major ppv's contain only fighters that hardcore fans wil have heard of and even some "main events" are pretty lacking in big name entertainment. You can guarantee this isnt a problem the casual UFC fan would complain about. Boxing would be a lot better off if promoters started targeting the casual observer.

as far opinions of casual fans, right up there for me is the fact that manny pac is now unstoppable. I like him an all, but that performance against that oscar wasnt enough to start this ridiculous bandwagon
Snoop
QUOTE(lloyd mayflower @ Feb 5 2009, 07:55 PM) [snapback]423952[/snapback]
spot on about boxing needing casual fans to keep it afloat, problem IMO is the promoters are so fuckin lazy that you have to be a hardcore fan to have any interest in any more than 2 or 3 fights a year, almost every undercard on major ppv's contain only fighters that hardcore fans wil have heard of and even some "main events" are pretty lacking in big name entertainment. You can guarantee this isnt a problem the casual UFC fan would complain about. Boxing would be a lot better off if promoters started targeting the casual observer.

as far opinions of casual fans, right up there for me is the fact that manny pac is now unstoppable. I like him an all, but that performance against that oscar wasnt enough to start this ridiculous bandwagon

Very true in the idiot thinking of promoters. UFC promoters are very smart IMO. Giving away free fights and making their PPV's full of known fighters is what keeps it going. The only problem I have with UFC is that it's starting to become WWEish with all the fireworks and metal dragons in the background (I only saw that in one fight though).

Don't get me wrong, casual fans are buffoons when it comes to analyzing boxing, but I kind of view it as the price we as hardcore fans have to pay to keep the sport alive. And we can always just rant about it in threads like this. laugh.gif
Romulus9
Every meaningful fight is on a premium channel or PPV with ever increasing prices. Either that changes, or things will fall further behind. Anyone else remember a dominant heavyweight champion of the 1980s defending on BROADCAST TELEVISION!? Boxing has to become more readily accessible or else UFC's marketing will make things worse and worse.

Snoop
QUOTE(wvu8893 @ Feb 5 2009, 08:07 PM) [snapback]423954[/snapback]
Every meaningful fight is on a premium channel or PPV with ever increasing prices. Either that changes, or things will fall further behind. Anyone else remember a dominant heavyweight champion of the 1980s defending on BROADCAST TELEVISION!? Boxing has to become more readily accessible or else UFC's marketing will make things worse and worse.

Shit I wish I woulda been around when those days were around, although one of the first fights I remember watching was when Juan Diaz fought for free on NBC. Hooked ever since.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(3King3 @ Feb 5 2009, 07:04 AM) [snapback]423887[/snapback]

He is right about Pac but not because of FNR3.

QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 5 2009, 07:34 AM) [snapback]423899[/snapback]

Easy to understand they must just pick up on him being a POS.
stateofthegame
I basically just watch everything by myself now, because I got tired of having a house full of people the really did not want to watch the fight or they would ask me a ton of questions.

I got one friend that may come by to watch fights with me every so often. He is a good fan of the sport and one that I would not say is hardcore like us, but he is more than a casual fan. He does ask questions every so often, but he also gets it. I mean he knows when it is time to shut up and watch the fight. Usually his questions are about how I scored a round as compared to as he scored it or we may talk in between rounds about the advice they gave in the corner.

I really used to hate having a lot of people over because like some one said there will will be one talking about he could beat this guys ass. It gets tiresome really.

On MMA what I hate the most is how a so-called MMA diehard will complain about boxing and bitch and moan and try to say how much better MMA is and really they are only repeating what they have read over at sherdog or mixedmartialarts.com or somewhere else. Then it is the same fucking people that as soon as a fight hits the mat they start booing and screaming the ref needs to stand them up. Well guess what it isn't boxing, grappling is part of the game. If you want them to stand and trade the whole time watch boxing.

One time here in Arkansas I was on my way to a Jermain Taylor fight. I stopped into a sports store trying to find a pair of boxing gloves that I thought about getting signed. I asked the clerk and he said they did not carry boxing gloves (they do now, but not then), and then he asked why I was wanting a pair and I told him I was going to the Jermain Taylor fight and that I could get them signed after the fight. I do not know if it this is bad because he worked in a sports store, or if it is because he was in Arkansas, but he then asked who was Jermain Taylor. I just walked out.
King Eugene
QUOTE(stateofthegame @ Feb 6 2009, 12:16 AM) [snapback]424070[/snapback]
One time here in Arkansas I was on my way to a Jermain Taylor fight. I stopped into a sports store trying to find a pair of boxing gloves that I thought about getting signed. I asked the clerk and he said they did not carry boxing gloves (they do now, but not then), and then he asked why I was wanting a pair and I told him I was going to the Jermain Taylor fight and that I could get them signed after the fight. I do not know if it this is bad because he worked in a sports store, or if it is because he was in Arkansas, but he then asked who was Jermain Taylor. I just walked out.

LMAO Priceless!

Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(stateofthegame @ Feb 6 2009, 01:16 AM) [snapback]424070[/snapback]
I basically just watch everything by myself now, because I got tired of having a house full of people the really did not want to watch the fight or they would ask me a ton of questions.

LOL. Yeah I'm becoming the same way. I've got two friends I enjoy watching the fights with. Like your friend, they're not hardcore boxing fans but they know the fighters and their backstories. And like you say, most importantly, they know when to shut up and watch the fight. Trouble is if I make plans to watch boxing with them it's rarely just the two of them. Other people end up coming by and you wind up having the fight on almost in the background unable to hear a damn thing. One guy wants to talk about how boxing sucks these days and one guy just wants to drink and shoot the shit. They might make comments about what a fighter's wearing or something else totally irrelevant. But yet if they want to watch the fight with me and I say no then I'm the jerk.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Feb 6 2009, 01:22 PM) [snapback]424137[/snapback]
LOL. Yeah I'm becoming the same way. I've got two friends I enjoy watching the fights with. Like your friend, they're not hardcore boxing fans but they know the fighters and their backstories. And like you say, most importantly, they know when to shut up and watch the fight. Trouble is if I make plans to watch boxing with them it's rarely just the two of them. Other people end up coming by and you wind up having the fight on almost in the background unable to hear a damn thing. One guy wants to talk about how boxing sucks these days and one guy just wants to drink and shoot the shit. They might make comments about what a fighter's wearing or something else totally irrelevant. But yet if they want to watch the fight with me and I say no then I'm the jerk.

Cant make everybody happy.

You ought to post Fight Night rules on the door so they can see it when they first come in.

Rule 1: STFU at the start of the bell.
Rule 2: Only talk in Between rounds.
Rule 3: Hold all Dumbass questions til the end.
Rule 4: If you dont like Rules 1-3 then turn away and walk back to your vehicle!
ROLL DEEP
My friends get bored with boxing after a few rounds if it's not blood and guts, Tyson style fighting....even then if it lasts longer than 4 or 5 rounds they get bored.

They even got bored watching Froch-Pascal!!!! Fucking idiots laugh.gif

So, I prefer watching by myself, or with family who enjoy it.

Everyone else either asks too many questions, or get bored and start talking about shit that has nothing to do with the fight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.