Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: James Toney to drop to 185 and fight Bernard
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Lil-lightsout
Just read it on Fightnews.com. So is this just the normal bullshit Toney says, or do you think James is serious here? Obviously his body could make 185lbs, but does he really have the dedication to do it? I am the biggest nuthugger of Toney here, and I highly doubt he could do it. Though I would love to see it happen, to see how he would look with all that fat off his body. Also, I would love to see him and Bernard go at it. I think if Toney has anything left, he would make it an interesting fight. But losing all that weight would probably be too much too soon. Ask Chris Byrd. There pre-fight build up would be amazing to listen to and watch.
Snoop
James Toney dropping to 185? LMAO. He'd be fighting the scales more than he would Bernard.
Maxy
Yeah I can't see Toney get down to 185 but I bloody well hope he can cos I have always wanted to see these two fight.

Method
Toney desperate for a payday.

I cant believe Im even gonna dignify this joke with a semi serious comment, but...

I'd take Hopkins all day NOW, 5 years ago, and way back when.

Just too complete a fighter/athlete for James Toney.

Snoop
QUOTE(Maxy @ Feb 5 2009, 07:18 PM) [snapback]423935[/snapback]
Yeah I can't see Toney get down to 185 but I bloody well hope he can cos I have always wanted to see these two fight.

Even if he did, in some reasonable time span for the fight to be plausible, it would never be legitimate. Hopkins would wipe the floor with his ass and then you'd have all this, "Well if Toney was in his prime..." or "If Toney didn't have to lose so much weight in x-months..." talk. As much as I would want the fight to happen, it would be pointless at this stage.
Big Slim Sweet
There's no way I can see Toney dropping all that weight at this point and not suffering terribly for it in the ring.

If these two were to fight still - and I for one would still love to see it - it would need to be at heavyweight. Bernard could come in around 200 and Toney at whatever the hell he wants and let em go.

Hard to see Toney being very competitive now based on how he looked last time out. Who knows though? At one time this would have been one of the all-time great matchups.

I always picked Toney to win because I liked him better, but realistically Nard probably would have found a way to get inside James' head and get him out of his fight plan. Physically, James may have been Bernard's equal and more, but mentally they're not even close.
Box in Hand
This fight should have been made several years ago. I love Toney, he is one of the greatest defensive fighters I've ever seen but his conditioning is horrible. Give me B-hop (The most disciplined fighter around) by 12 round tactical battle.
Snoop
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Feb 5 2009, 07:37 PM) [snapback]423942[/snapback]
There's no way I can see Toney dropping all that weight at this point and not suffering terribly for it in the ring.

If these two were to fight still - and I for one would still love to see it - it would need to be at heavyweight. Bernard could come in around 200 and Toney at whatever the hell he wants and let em go.

Hard to see Toney being very competitive now based on how he looked last time out. Who knows though? At one time this would have been one of the all-time great matchups.

I always picked Toney to win because I liked him better, but realistically Nard probably would have found a way to get inside James' head and get him out of his fight plan. Physically, James may have been Bernard's equal and more, but mentally they're not even close.

Heavyweight would make more sense. It would be a safe way to test the HW waters for BHop, plus it would let Toney focus more on the fight, rather than the weight. A fight at HW would be much more interesting.
Devo
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Feb 5 2009, 01:50 PM) [snapback]423929[/snapback]
Just read it on Fightnews.com. So is this just the normal bullshit Toney says, or do you think James is serious here? Obviously his body could make 185lbs, but does he really have the dedication to do it? I am the biggest nuthugger of Toney here, and I highly doubt he could do it. Though I would love to see it happen, to see how he would look with all that fat off his body. Also, I would love to see him and Bernard go at it. I think if Toney has anything left, he would make it an interesting fight. But losing all that weight would probably be too much too soon. Ask Chris Byrd. There pre-fight build up would be amazing to listen to and watch.

cool.gif ... I saw that story, but I held myself in check ... Toney is a fat-mouth buffoon ... yeah, he needs the payday because most of his cash goes to buying judges, the Rahman fight was a joke ... he gets the W off an eye-poke & I lose my frickin' lunch-money ... then over night it becomes a NC ... Fres boxed his ears off (look @ the connect % in that fite) & he gets the SD, same card where Julie "Who's Your Daddy" Lederman had Hopkins over Holt ... Toney will shoot his load & gas @ the presser if B-Hop wants it . That tub-o-lard couldn't crack peanut-brittle w/ an axe . When he called out Klitschko I was praying "Please let it be, Please let it be" ... Wlad would hit him so hard, his great-grandchildren would be born w/ broken-jawbones ! .... Ahhh, I feel better now, thanx guys ! crazy.gif
Romulus9
Hopkins wins in one of the most boring fights of recent memory. Aside from the fact that Hopkins is just better at this point, and incredibly disciplined, if Toney actually gets down to 185, he'll be in worse shape after dropping the weight than Bowe was for his second fight with Golota.
D-MARV
I find it hard to believe Toney having a chance in this one with both arms cut off.
PR316
Toney's left titty couldn't make 185.

He'd get schooled badly anyway.
BigG
That's funny...but I have always loved to see this matchup because of all the skill they bring to the table.
Snoop
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Feb 5 2009, 08:07 PM) [snapback]423955[/snapback]
I find it hard to believe Toney having a chance in this one with both arms cut off.

Wait, what?
AussieLad
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Feb 5 2009, 07:59 PM) [snapback]423975[/snapback]
Wait, what?

Severing a few limbs would be the only way he could make 185.. LOL
Snoop
QUOTE(AussieLad @ Feb 5 2009, 11:02 PM) [snapback]423994[/snapback]
Severing a few limbs would be the only way he could make 185.. LOL

Oh, he was talking about "making weight". I thought he said he'd have no chance beating Hopkins if he cut off two of his arms. LOL.
Boxingjunkie
Never happen.
dj necrogenic
James Toney's breakfasts usually weigh 185lbs. No way he could even get back down to the Cruiserweight limit of 200lbs..
STEVENSKI
If Toney claimed he could eat so much at the Caesars buffet he would get a life ban I'd believe him. If he said he earned a million $ sponsorship with Jack in the Box I'd believe him.

Saying he would not only make 185 but KO Hopkins I cannot believe for a second.
Chi-Town
Wow...I was smoking a joint the other day and started thinking that this was a plausible fight that could be made. Although I thought Bernard would go up to 200.

Ah, the luxury of being a 44 year old fighter, he can fight anyone he wants and no one can criticise because he's always gonna be the older guy...lol
rusty_trombone
185 hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
JonnyBlaze
Toney would probably have to lose close to 100 lbs to make this fight happen..If I were you guys,I'd forget about it..He'd have to wait a year after getting close to 185 to be able to have his body adjust before fighting BHop..This would be a really stupid move if he goes through with this and doesn't let his body adjust and get a loss on his record to BHop..Us hardcore fans would know what was up but later on,the history of the fight would just be BHop beat Toney without the emphasis on the weight loss/drain..
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
If I were James I'd concentrate on getting to 215 pounds not 185. If he really believes he can make 185 to fight Hops there is no excuse for him not coming in at 215 at HW.

I love Toney but fuck he can be a little deluded at times. Where does he think he'll be training for this fight? On The Biggest Loser ranch with Bob and Gillian?
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(the ollie reed fan club @ Feb 5 2009, 10:39 PM) [snapback]424047[/snapback]
If I were James I'd concentrate on getting to 215 pounds not 185. If he really believes he can make 185 to fight Hops there is no excuse for him not coming in at 215 at HW.

I love Toney but fuck he can be a little deluded at times. Where does he think he'll be training for this fight? On The Biggest Loser ranch with Bob and Gillian?

EXACTLY!!If Toney was 215 or even 220 at heavyweight,he could turn back time..His reflects suck now but that's because of all the weight and his inability to move..He has gotten so lazy that no one can take him say he can make 185 seriously,let alone 200 or 210..220 is more reasonable but will take a lot of time to get there..He and Tyson need serious help or they might not live a full life..They are under 6 foot by quite a few inches(the both of em) and both weigh close to 300 lbs..Their faces have completely changed because of the weight..

Hahahaha,the biggest loser ranch..Toney and Tyson should both be put on the ranch and after the end of their sessions there,those 2 have a fight!!
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Feb 5 2009, 09:46 PM) [snapback]424049[/snapback]
EXACTLY!!If Toney was 215 or even 220 at heavyweight,he could turn back time..His reflects suck now but that's because of all the weight and his inability to move..He has gotten so lazy that no one can take him say he can make 185 seriously,let alone 200 or 210..220 is more reasonable but will take a lot of time to get there..He and Tyson need serious help or they might not live a full life..They are under 6 foot by quite a few inches(the both of em) and both weigh close to 300 lbs..They faces hae completely changed because of the weight..

Hahahaha,the biggest loser ranch..Toney and Tyson should both be put on the ranch and after the end of their sessions there,those 2 have a fight!!

Agreed, forget boxing it's actually just plain unhealthy for guys of that height to weigh that much.
Lil-lightsout
Well, atleast this thread got some responses, though they were all negative. laugh.gif Toney deserves it though. He definately needs to stick to short time goals, like getting under 220 pounds if he is serious.

If they would have fought in there prime, I would take Toney. He would have outslicked Bernard in a competative scrap.

But I will say this too, laugh all you want, if they do end up eventually fighting at whatever weight, TONEY WILL WIN and I will expect apologies from each and every one of you guys.
King Eugene
I give Toney a better shot of winning a decision at heavyweight. If he drops down to 185 he'll be KO'd by the scale.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Feb 5 2009, 11:05 PM) [snapback]424056[/snapback]
Well, atleast this thread got some responses, though they were all negative. laugh.gif Toney deserves it though. He definately needs to stick to short time goals, like getting under 220 pounds if he is serious.

If they would have fought in there prime, I would take Toney. He would have outslicked Bernard in a competative scrap.

But I will say this too, laugh all you want, if they do end up eventually fighting at whatever weight, TONEY WILL WIN and I will expect apologies from each and every one of you guys.

I agree with you on the B-Hop/Toney fight prime for prime..It does suck though since I'd want Toney at 168 and B-Hop at 160..I think this would of been a lot more entertaining than Roy/B-Hop too..I hate to say it but I was disappointed in the Roy/Toney and Roy/B-Hop fights..There was way too much posing in both those fights for my liking..B-Hop and Roy waited on each other a lot..
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(Method @ Feb 5 2009, 01:20 PM) [snapback]423936[/snapback]
Toney desperate for a payday.

I cant believe Im even gonna dignify this joke with a semi serious comment, but...

I'd take Hopkins all day NOW, 5 years ago, and way back when.

Just too complete a fighter/athlete for James Toney.

Man, who wouldnt you have favored Hopkins over??
The Original MrFactor
Oh and BTW, this fight aint happenin. TONEY cant get under 230... Hopkins could always go up to 205 and they somehow make it happen, but i doubt it. I would love to have see prime Hopkins against prime Toney. I would also love to have see prime Toney against prime tarver... In fact I'd like to see Tarver/Toney now at heavy.

Wouldnt be surprised to see Toney vs Rahman one more time. 2 guys fighting for the patent for Bisquick... in fact i think when Toney bleeds, bisquick comes out...
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Feb 6 2009, 04:31 AM) [snapback]424096[/snapback]
Oh and BTW, this fight aint happenin. TONEY cant get under 230... Hopkins could always go up to 205 and they somehow make it happen, but i doubt it. I would love to have see prime Hopkins against prime Toney. I would also love to have see prime Toney against prime tarver... In fact I'd like to see Tarver/Toney now at heavy.

Wouldnt be surprised to see Toney vs Rahman one more time. 2 guys fighting for the patent for Bisquick... in fact i think when Toney bleeds, bisquick comes out...

I like those matchups you made..Tarver/Toney prime/prime would of been a really dope fight..I think B-Hop should get to 190-200 and fight a fat heavyweight Toney..I'd give Hopkins the edge in this one since Toney is shot since his blood flow has been slowed down a lot due to his weight which has made him look like shit..Fres was tellin me the other day he is trying to get Toney to have a rematch with him and Fres said this time he won't just hurt Toney but stop or KO him..He said Toney is too scared to fight him again after how bad he made him look.."Remember where ya heard it first"---Your boy Jonny Blaze!!

Fres got robbed big time against Toney..He and Holyfield suffered the 2 worst decisions last year in my opinion and they both happened in the same month..AHHHHHHHH,BULLSHIT!!!
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Feb 6 2009, 03:53 AM) [snapback]424097[/snapback]
I like those matchups you made..Tarver/Toney prime/prime would of been a really dope fight..I think B-Hop should get to 190-200 and fight a fat heavyweight Toney..I'd give Hopkins the edge in this one since Toney is shot since his blood flow has been slowed down a lot due to his weight which has made him look like shit..Fres was tellin me the other day he is trying to get Toney to have a rematch with him and Fres said this time he won't just hurt Toney but stop or KO him..He said Toney is too scared to fight him again after how bad he made him look.."Remember where ya heard it first"---Your boy Jonny Blaze!!

Fres got robbed big time against Toney..He and Holyfield suffered the 2 worst decisions last year in my opinion and they both happened in the same month..AHHHHHHHH,BULLSHIT!!!

Fres = the heavyweight Luis Collazo
Method
Man, who wouldnt you have favored Hopkins over??

If you can point out an instance where I was grossly off base, I'm all ears.

Douchebag
Prime toney vs prime Hopkins I'm picking Toney all day. Right now I wouldn't pick Toney to win a fight with his cholesterol level.
thehype
I think it's a little too early for April Fool's jokes.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(Method @ Feb 6 2009, 08:40 AM) [snapback]424104[/snapback]
If you can point out an instance where I was grossly off base, I'm all ears.

I'm not really bashing your pick. I think this fight is a split decision either way, prime vs prime. I'd have picked Toney probably prime vs prime. Today, I'd pick Hopkins because he looks alot better after 40 than Toney does. Just asked who you'd favor to beat Hopkins. or who have you ever favored to beat Hopkins?
FenderDG3
Aren't we still about 2 months away from April Fools Day?!?!? Seriously though... I'm in agreement with most of you. I see no way that Toney is physically able to drop down to 185. Best Lamply comment doing a tale of the tape, "Rahman weighed in at 238, and James Toney weighed in as a tub of goo... he must have been in the McDonald's training camp"!!!

Edit:
I didn't see that Hype had beat me to the April Fools joke until after I had posted this.
streetlion1
No way this is true! Toney cant get down to 185. I wouldnt wanna see it anyway cause I like Toney....it would be a shame to watch him get executed.
Lil-lightsout
Toney is probably down to about 215lbs. right now, on his way down to 185lbs. for his super fight with Bernard. He is going to fool all you.
Big Slim Sweet
After James disposes of Hops at 185 I would like to see him drop all the way back down to 160 and gloriously reclaim the middleweight crown he vacated some 16 years ago.

Pavlik vs. Toney in fall '09, baby! Bank on it.
KookedKrack
james toney's head cant get down to 160 let alone the rest of him
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Feb 16 2009, 11:59 AM) [snapback]425488[/snapback]
After James disposes of Hops at 185 I would like to see him drop all the way back down to 160 and gloriously reclaim the middleweight crown he vacated some 16 years ago.

Pavlik vs. Toney in fall '09, baby! Bank on it.

Another believer!
Big Slim Sweet
James would have to be considered the best ever if he could do it. Not only the best, but the handsomest.
King Eugene
QUOTE(KookedKrack @ Feb 16 2009, 12:25 PM) [snapback]425489[/snapback]
james toney's head cant get down to 160 let alone the rest of him

LMAO

Hell if Toney lose some weight he probably would be able to talk straight.
D-MARV
I actually hope he can get down... I'm worried about is health.

It wouldn't be totally impossible. Shit Chris Byrd dropped 40 pounds and James Toney has way more fat than Byrd did so it's not impossible but I just don't know if Toney has the will or drive to do it. We'll see though.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Feb 17 2009, 06:58 AM) [snapback]425577[/snapback]
I actually hope he can get down... I'm worried about is health.

It wouldn't be totally impossible. Shit Chris Byrd dropped 40 pounds and James Toney has way more fat than Byrd did so it's not impossible but I just don't know if Toney has the will or drive to do it. We'll see though.

Yeah, in all seriousness, I too am a little worried about his health. It is only a matter of time if he stays in his present state something bad will happen. I would hate to see his blood tests, I can only imagine his cholesterol, blood sugar, etc. numbers. He easily could drop to a more natural weight IF really wanted to. Heck, my 5'8" cousin ballooned up to 265lbs with booze and a poor diet. Then after being diagnosed with diabetes, he had to change his lifestyle. It took him 9 months and he was back down to 175lbs.
ROLL DEEP
Sure Toney CAN get down to that weight....it is possible, but NO WAY do I see Toney doing that.
buford54
I love James, but there is no way he can make 185. I take that back...I could see James going in and getting lipo to remove 55 lbs of fat. He'd come into the ring with his stretched skin hanging to his knees.

If he has to stop eating cheesburgers to do it though, he'll never make the weight.
I see that being a boring, tactical fight that Hopkins would win on fitness alone.
alaganza
There is no way........ AND THE ROCK MEANS NO WAY......That Toney makes 185.

I would have love to have seen this fight. I would have been a classic.

But it's too late now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.