Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Joe Calzaghe retires.
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Maxy
Article from the BBC.
Snoop
Well if Calzaghe wants to be forever engraved as the biggest douchebag in boxing history, I guess then, mission accomplished.
Box in Hand
I know I'll probably get trampled for this but I think Calzaghe is one of the best fighters I've seen in the last 10 years. I though he lost the Hopkins fight and Hopkins is still my favorite present day fighter but I marvel at Joe's speed, guts, footwork, and fighting brain. Yes, he has slapped his way to a good deal of victories but he has hurt fighters like Kessler, Lacy, and Jones (An old Jones). He must have done something right to retire undefeated.
Maxy
Americans couldn't give a fuck but I would have wanted to see him fight Froch before he quit.
Big Slim Sweet
*$^!&&#%#%$%$*(!@!*

(That's the sound of Big Slim's size 15's trampling Box in Hand's guts out)
Snoop
QUOTE(Box in Hand @ Feb 5 2009, 07:36 PM) [snapback]423941[/snapback]
I know I'll probably get trampled for this but I think Calzaghe is one of the best fighters I've seen in the last 10 years. I though he lost the Hopkins fight and Hopkins is still my favorite present day fighter but I marvel at Joe's speed, guts, footwork, and fighting brain. Yes, he has slapped his way to a good deal of victories but he has hurt fighters like Kessler, Lacy, and Jones (An old Jones). He must have done something right to retire undefeated.

Look man. This is how I see Joe Calzaghe. He protected himself against low-tier opposition for the majority of his career (including his prime) took on and legitimately pummeled an unproven Lacy (but to Joe's credit, many people were picking Lacy), beat a solid Kessler, won a controversial decision against BHop (who was what? 42 at the time?), THEN took on an over-the-hill Jones in a fight that should have happened like a decade ago.

THIS is why he retired undefeated, not because he was a good fighter. He's clever in how and when he chooses his fights, but great fighter, I just can't see it.
D-MARV
Good Call on Froch-Calzaghe. That would have been an AWESOME fight.

Calzaghe will always be remembered as a VERY GOOD fighter!
Snoop
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Feb 5 2009, 08:09 PM) [snapback]423956[/snapback]
Good Call on Froch-Calzaghe. That would have been an AWESOME fight.

Calzaghe will always be remembered as a VERY GOOD fighter!

I honestly will remember him with a big question mark, one of those "What if..." type of careers. It's more of a shame he didn't prove himself when he had the chances to.
Box in Hand
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Feb 5 2009, 12:53 PM) [snapback]423951[/snapback]
Look man. This is how I see Joe Calzaghe. He protected himself against low-tier boxers for the majority of his career (including his prime) took on and legitimately pummeled an unproven Lacy (but to Joe's credit, many people were picking Lacy), beat a solid Kessler, won a controversial decision against BHop (who was what? 42 at the time?), THEN took on an over-the-hill Jones in a fight that should have happened like a decade ago.

THIS is why he retired undefeated, not because he was a good fighter. He's clever in how and when he chooses his fights, but great fighter, I just can't see it.

I feel you but I have to disagree on this one. I think he's is so effective at dismantling people it's scary. Joe didn't pick those half ass fighters, his promoters did. Once he was free on his contract he sought out bigger names. Hopkins was 42, yes but he was still the Light Heavyweight champ and is still a master boxer (I thought Joe lost that fight by the way). As far as Jones, goes we're in agreement. My point is, the man can box and he has 42 victims to prove it.
BigG
I have a hard time calling Joe a great fighter, I just dont see it when he fights.

With that said, if Joe wants to retire, so be it. He made his name getting a controversial decision over Hopkins and beating a Jones worse than the Glen Johnson/Tarver beat. Joe to me might be a very good fighter, but a bit of a fraud.
Snoop
QUOTE(Box in Hand @ Feb 5 2009, 08:18 PM) [snapback]423960[/snapback]
Hopkins was 42, yes but he was still the Light Heavyweight champ and is still a master boxer (I thought Joe lost that fight by the way).

Well I guess my question here would be, do you feel the Hopkins that was LHW Champ at 42 was better than a Hopkins say, 5 years before that?

My point is, the man can box and he has 42 victims to prove it.

But I guess my point was that 42 wins doesn't prove anything. It all depends on the quality of those wins, which in Joe's case, have not been that impressive to qualify him for "one of the greatest in boxing history".
Snoop
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 5 2009, 08:28 PM) [snapback]423963[/snapback]
I have a hard time calling Joe a great fighter, I just dont see it when he fights.

With that said, if Joe wants to retire, so be it. He made his name getting a controversial decision over Hopkins and beating a Jones worse than the Glen Johnson/Tarver beat. Joe to me might be a very good fighter, but a bit of a fraud.

Well said.
EirbinX
I Rather had seen him fight. Taylor that fight fight would have been interesting considering they both beat the shit out of Lacy
Box in Hand
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Feb 5 2009, 01:36 PM) [snapback]423967[/snapback]
Well I guess my question here would be, do you feel the Hopkins that was LHW Champ at 42 was better than a Hopkins say, 5 years before that?
But I guess my point was that 42 wins doesn't prove anything. It all depends on the quality of those wins, which in Joe's case, have not been that impressive to qualify him for "one of the greatest in boxing history".

I think the Hopkins of today is missing the pressure style he once had like the one used against Antwon Echols or Glenn Johnson or even William Joppy. He showed it in the Pavlik fight but he lacked it in the Taylor fights, the Calzaghe fights, and the De la Hoya fight. I think he's smarter today but unless someone pisses him off he doesn't fight agressively enough. He even acknowledges that. So, to answer your question, I truly belive the Hopkins that fought Trinidad would have Ko'ed Calzaghe. When I say Calzaghe is great I speak from a fighters perspective. I fight and I know how hard it is to make opponents miss, to move at angles, to throw high volume punches (even light ones) from bell to bell. I think he has heart and is an intelligent fighter. He impresses me and that is my humble opinion.

So commense with my ass thrashing, I can take it.
Snoop
QUOTE(Box in Hand @ Feb 5 2009, 09:13 PM) [snapback]423978[/snapback]
I think the Hopkins of today is missing the pressure style he once had like the one used against Antwon Echols or Glenn Johnson or even William Joppy. He showed it in the Pavlik fight but he lacked it in the Taylor fights, the Calzaghe fights, and the De la Hoya fight. I think he's smarter today but unless someone pisses him off he doesn't fight agressively enough. He even acknowledges that. So, to answer your question, I truly belive the Hopkins that fought Trinidad would have Ko'ed Calzaghe. When I say Calzaghe is great I speak from a fighters perspective. I fight and I know how hard it is to make opponents miss, to move at angles, to throw high volume punches (even light ones) from bell to bell. I think he has heart and is an intelligent fighter. He impresses me and that is my humble opinion.
So commense with my ass thrashing, I can take it.

Haha. No man, I respect your opinion. And yes, you're right, skillwise Calzaghe is better than the average Joe at boxing, even many who do it professionally. But IMO, his record and the circumstances surrounding his "undefeated record" wouldn't validate him to be in one of boxing's best. That's all.
Box in Hand
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Feb 5 2009, 02:51 PM) [snapback]423980[/snapback]
Haha. No man, I respect your opinion. And yes, you're right, skillwise Calzaghe is better than the average Joe at boxing, even many who do it professionally. But IMO, his record and the circumstances surrounding his "undefeated record" wouldn't validate him to be in one of boxing's best. That's all.

I feel ya. I would have loved to see how he would have done against Roy Jones prior to his Ruiz fight. There's also the Dawson fight out there or the Froch fight but we may never see them now that he's decided to go out and graze in the pasture.
STEVENSKI
I hope he gets disabled in a car wreck along with Enzo.
ROLL DEEP
Personally, I think Calzaghe COULD have been a great fighter.

I really think he had the tools to do it. He had a lot of the traits:

*Speed
*Footwork
*Stamina
*Decent chin
*Decent power
*Could brawl or box

But there are too many fights not made and too many suspect opponents.

Everyone pretty much agrees that the Kessler fight was a brilliant win. The Lacy one, it's sort of half and half. Its a decent win against a live opponent, but Lacy was green. BUT, the way Calzaghe dismantled him was amazing. So, I think it was a decent win.

A close win against Hopkins is a good win (even though Hopkins was 42/43), and the Jones win does NOTHING. In fact, it takes some of Joes legacy away as he actually took the fight after saying Jones was washed up and past his best.

So, in my opinion, had some good wins, but not all-time great wins.

He needed to fight Tarver, Dawson, Johnson, Froch...or even Woods to add something to his record.

ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Feb 5 2009, 05:04 PM) [snapback]423995[/snapback]

laugh.gif

Shit, man. I pissed myself laughing at that.
BigG
ROLL, another trait of Joe is also that he slapped like a bitch
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 5 2009, 05:30 PM) [snapback]424002[/snapback]
ROLL, another trait of Joe is also that he slapped like a bitch

laugh.gif True, I meant to put down the bad things too...like he slaps, he got drawn into battles he didn't need to fight, he was a bit of a cock sometimes, he fought too many shit opponents and his dad is a nerd.
maac
Well, after reading the most of opinions on this forum,
the only can i say is:

YANKEES HATERS!
KookedKrack
drinks.gif

best news i have heard all day
Mean Mister Mustard
I get the feeling that if Froch beats up Taylor, Zaghe goes back and fights Froch and Froch surprises us all by beating him. This reeks of a UK version of Jones-Taver.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE(maac @ Feb 5 2009, 06:03 PM) [snapback]424007[/snapback]
Well, after reading the most of opinions on this forum,
the only can i say is:

YANKEES HATERS!

Fuck off Enzo.
JonnyBlaze
What a fuckin pussy!!
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(the ollie reed fan club @ Feb 5 2009, 09:20 PM) [snapback]424040[/snapback]
Fuck off Enzo.

laugh.gif

Obviously Joe and his Dad are not really interested in his legacy. He was a really good fighter, no doubt, but his resume is less than stellar for an undefeated fighter. Only thing I will about him is not seeing him get KTFO.
The CEO
So Calzaghe formally retired....oh well...can't say I'm surprised...I knew he'd get out while the gettin' was good....

Should I go ahead and take The Wagon down?....I'll copy it and put it on the shelf in case we need it again....

King Eugene
QUOTE(Box in Hand @ Feb 5 2009, 01:36 PM) [snapback]423941[/snapback]

He never had Jones hurt. He just cut him and slapped his ass around the ring all night like he was a bitch but hurt he never was.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Maxy @ Feb 5 2009, 01:38 PM) [snapback]423943[/snapback]
Americans couldn't give a fuck but I would have wanted to see him fight Froch before he quit.

I wanted to see the Froch fight too but I think it would have looked similar to the Kessler fight. Thats just my opinion.
King Eugene
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Feb 5 2009, 05:04 PM) [snapback]423995[/snapback]

I knew this would be thrown in there somewhere. LMAO
mrwigi
Thank God!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.