Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting a "Training/Boxing Tips" Forum
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Training Tips
Pages: 1, 2
Spyder
As long as you're using low weights and developing fast twitch muscle fibres (the explosive type) that light weights will give you, why not use them?

Providing you don't go heavy with the weights (which was never mentioned when the whole weights thing came about), and develop slow twitch muscle fibres, you'll be fine.

It's actually the opposite Roll...you lift heavy to recrute FAST twitch muscle fibres, and light for slow.

Think of it this way...the sprinter needs fast twitch to run his race, and the marathon runner needs slow...which one do you think is more explosive? The fast twitch fibres require more oxygen to operate, so you can only do a few reps. Where as the slow twitch require less oxygen, so you can do more reps.

Knowing this...which do you think is better for boxing?
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(Spyder @ Feb 15 2009, 07:50 PM) [snapback]425427[/snapback]
It's actually the opposite Roll...you lift heavy to recrute FAST twitch muscle fibres, and light for slow.

Think of it this way...the sprinter needs fast twitch to run his race, and the marathon runner needs slow...which one do you think is more explosive? The fast twitch fibres require more oxygen to operate, so you can only do a few reps. Where as the slow twitch require less oxygen, so you can do more reps.

Knowing this...which do you think is better for boxing?

Actually, the sprinter uses the ATP (adenadine tri phosphate I think it stands for) in their muscles for their exercise. I think they may reach the threshold for the glycogen to be oxidised (exercising with oxygen), but their bodys use nowhere near as much oxygen as a marathon runner. Because of the duration of the marathon runner, their carbs, fats and muscle have to be broke down with oxygen to create energy....I dont think a sprinter falls into this category.

Boxing is 70% Aerobic (exercising with oxygen) and 30% anaerobic (exercisig without oxygen) I think.

But it also depends on how you excecute the weight lifting technique. Doing 5 or 6 reps of a heavy weight, although using a lot of oxygen, doesn't impact the muscles the same as doing 20 reps with a lighter weight.

For instance, the Bench Press. You need to straighten your arms as fast as possible...literally throw the bar from your chest and that'll mimmick a punch.

Ever seen a sprinter do squats? They pause for a second at the bottom and jump into it to get that 'explosive' power. They go air born.

You can't do those exercises with heavy weights.
Spyder
Sorry ROLL, but's that's exactly what you do with heavy weights. You bring the weight down slow(about 2 sec) and then you explode up as fast as you can. That is one of the main principles of body building.

Maybe my example of sprinter/long distance runner was a bit confusing...oxygen used by the muscles is different than what you are thinking. A sprinter can run as fast as he can for only a short period of time...that is because sprinting uses ALL of the oxygen in your muscles. Yes, they utilize ATP, but muscles can not function without oxygen. That is a complete fact error on the part of whoever told you that muscles don't use oxygen until later. Why do you think that you rest in between sprints? More so, why do you think that you are breathing so hard? Where is all of that oxygen going?

You are correct that there is a difference between lifting heavy and lifting light...but your reasoning is backwards.

If you are interested in this kind of stuff, there is a GREAT book called The Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding. It was co-written by Arnold, well illustrated, and is pretty much the definitive resource for the sport.
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(Spyder @ Feb 16 2009, 12:57 PM) [snapback]425491[/snapback]
Sorry ROLL, but's that's exactly what you do with heavy weights. You bring the weight down slow(about 2 sec) and then you explode up as fast as you can. That is one of the main principles of body building.

Maybe my example of sprinter/long distance runner was a bit confusing...oxygen used by the muscles is different than what you are thinking. A sprinter can run as fast as he can for only a short period of time...that is because sprinting uses ALL of the oxygen in your muscles. Yes, they utilize ATP, but muscles can not function without oxygen. That is a complete fact error on the part of whoever told you that muscles don't use oxygen until later. Why do you think that you rest in between sprints? More so, why do you think that you are breathing so hard? Where is all of that oxygen going?

You are correct that there is a difference between lifting heavy and lifting light...but your reasoning is backwards.

If you are interested in this kind of stuff, there is a GREAT book called The Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding. It was co-written by Arnold, well illustrated, and is pretty much the definitive resource for the sport.

Ah well. I'm no professor of all this stuff, so I'll take your word for it.

I know what works, even though I dont know the names, etc laugh.gif
Spyder
No worries man, it's taken me YEARS to figure this shit out...and I'm still learning.

I'm dying to know Mackie Shilstone's workout!
STEVENSKI
Man just have a kebab & watch the damm fights finish it off with a fart & a deep fried mars bar.
Spyder
What the fuck is up with kebobs?

Why would I want my meat stuck on a stick with some fucking vegetables? Not to mention...what makes them think that they know what order I want to eat my food in? What if I don't want to eat a greenpepper after I take a bite of chicken? Now what do I do?

Fuck shish kebobs!
STEVENSKI
Thats it Fitz.
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 16 2009, 10:23 PM) [snapback]425538[/snapback]
He was probably talking about the doner kebab. They are beautiful, I usually prefer these over the Greek souvalaki.

THESE ARE THE SHIT!!!

Man, get some chilli sauce and a bit of garlic mayonaise on there too.....awesome.

After a night out drinking, wolf down one of these bad boys and you'll be fine.
Spyder
Standing down...

Those look pretty f-ing good!

...I still reserve the right to hate on shish kabobs though. laugh.gif

Snoop
Doner kebabs are the muthafuckin' shit! Although I used to eat this thing called a "Sharwma" when I lived in Spain and Morocco. Pretty similar and DAMN GOOD.
STEVENSKI
Sharwma are also good & so are the Adana kebabs.
Snoop
Can we change this Forum to be called "Johnny's Trainer's Corner"?
lloyd mayflower
Donner kebabs are only acceptavle if your too shit faced to care about eating the sweepings from a slaughterhouse floor. Lips, arseholes etc. They taste ok when your miraculous, but you reek of them for hours afterwrds!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.