Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can Boxers Fight in a Street Fight?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Snoop
I'm just curious as to what people on this board think. You always hear about the guy who has a black-belt in so-and-so martial art, but then gets his ass kicked when it comes to a street fight. I wonder if people feel the same about boxing when it comes to that.

I would say, possibly but much less than martial arts. Don't get me wrong, I have a TON of respect for martial arts, and it also depends on WHAT TYPE of martial art you're talking about, but some of them don't focus much on sparring, which is key to any type of combat sport IMO. Boxing on the other hand has regular sparring and granted, a situation in the street is world's different than one in the ring, but I still think the skills acquired in boxing will help someone handle themselves better.

Thoughts?
Spyder
Yes.
JonnyBlaze
A boxer could kill someone without gloves on very easily..
Snoop
Great. Thanks guys.
STEVENSKI
It would give you a better chance in a average situation but I don't give a fuck who you are if you are trained fighter & a 16 stone man king hits you the only thing you are doing is going down.
Spyder
When I was 16 and stoned I couldn't fight for shit...
King Eugene
Ask Mike Tyson

Oh and did anybody catch the clip on youtube when some street thug tried to start a fight with some tall white kid with a red shirt on. Little did he know that tall skinny white kid new some ninja martial arts type shit and knocked his ass out with one shot. I swear I wish I had youtube at work cause I'd post it.

But on a more serious note yes they would whoop ass in a street fight as long as it doesnt go to the ground. Thats why they have to register their hands.

I'm a say one more thing I think is kind of funny about street fights. You know how a lot of boxers and MMA guys look rather corny, lanky, or any other insulting term you could use? Well looking at these guys should make some of these younger cats think twice about starting a street fight or a fight in the club. You mess around and start some shit with one of these cats in the club cause he looks like a cornball and end up in intensive care. I've seen it happen before and I was laughing like hell. LMAO
Box in Hand
Boxing does give an advantage of course. The problem is most fights end up on the ground.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Feb 6 2009, 11:48 PM) [snapback]424240[/snapback]
Ask Mike Tyson

Oh and did anybody catch the clip on youtube when some street thug tried to start a fight with some tall white kid with a red shirt on. Little did he know that tall skinny white kid new some ninja martial arts type shit and knocked his ass out with one shot. I swear I wish I had youtube at work cause I'd post it.

But on a more serious note yes they would whoop ass in a street fight as long as it doesnt go to the ground. Thats why they have to register their hands.

I'm a say one more thing I think is kind of funny about street fights. You know how a lot of boxers and MMA guys look rather corny, lanky, or any other insulting term you could use? Well looking at these guys should make some of these younger cats think twice about starting a street fight or a fight in the club. You mess around and start some shit with one of these cats in the club cause he looks like a cornball and end up in intensive care. I've seen it happen before and I was laughing like hell. LMAO

I hate when people say that a boxer is done if he is on the ground..Do you think they've never been on the ground before in a street fight(besides DLH cause he's never been in one)??

I might have that street fight on my youtube but I have seen it and it's funny as hell..That dude had to book it cause he knew he wasn't shit and was getting fucked up..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Box in Hand @ Feb 6 2009, 11:52 PM) [snapback]424241[/snapback]
Boxing does give an advantage of course. The problem is most fights end up on the ground.

I don't think so..It's easy to keep the fight going while standing..If someone tried to grab your legs,throw a cut and if they do grab em,hold onto the person and lean ontop of em and throw kidney shots or elbow em in the back..If you can't throw short punches,it's likely it could go to the ground..
Snoop
QUOTE(3King3 @ Feb 7 2009, 04:48 AM) [snapback]424240[/snapback]
Ask Mike Tyson

That's a combination of the argument above. A bigass dude that can box. lol

IMO most big dudes can't fight because they're never challenged. Usually the smaller, quiet guys are the ones that can scrap. Of course, I don't know if I'd be the one to find out if that was true.
JLUVBABY
great example of a man known for kicking ass in street fights is the guy thats gettng his ass kicked right now by usef mack on espn... chris henry... he is known in these parts for kicking 5 and 6 guys ass at one time at house parties an etc... he is from my hometown of beaumont texas tho he fights out of houston... i wold say boxers have a very decided advantage in fights if for no other reason their bodies are trained to take punches.. just my opinion..
King Eugene
LOL there you go Johnny over analyzing it again. But really if it does end up on the ground the chances rise for a boxer to get his ass whooped. Now a MMA fighter is different, he is liable to fuck you up all the way around.

Most fights I've seen managed to stay standing but I have seen quite a few that ends up on the ground. Usually those get broken up faster unless its some ground and pound type stuff. Once a street fight goes to the ground it usually gets kind of boring and turns into a wrestling match and I've never seen no one get choked out before in a street fight. LOL but it would be funny as hell though. Can you picture a dude tapping out with nobody to break it up. LMAO
Spyder
I've never really been in a street fight since I've been boxing...I got into a few scuffles in college, but nothing that I needed to use any skills.

I just can't imagine a trained fighter losing to some chump with beer muscles...unless the trained fighter is overly intoxicated.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(3King3 @ Feb 7 2009, 03:48 AM) [snapback]424240[/snapback]

I do remember that & the wannabee got worked by the white boy.
hitman
mma people have successfully brainwashed a lot of people into thinking boxers are some kind of chumps who can't fight on the streets.

some miami hurricane football player once started a fight with shannon briggs and briggs broke his eye socket. ended his football career. guy still can't see straight. boxers are very dangerous people that you would not want to fuck with.
King Eugene
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Feb 7 2009, 12:20 AM) [snapback]424255[/snapback]
I do remember that & the wannabee got worked by the white boy.

BAD!
King Eugene
QUOTE(hitman @ Feb 7 2009, 01:01 AM) [snapback]424258[/snapback]
mma people have successfully brainwashed a lot of people into thinking boxers are some kind of chumps who can't fight on the streets.

some miami hurricane football player once started a fight with shannon briggs and briggs broke his eye socket. ended his football career. guy still can't see straight. boxers are very dangerous people that you would not want to fuck with.

What Cane was this and what year?
BigG
Boxers hands are lethal weapons...PRO boxers that is. PRIME Tyson could KO anyone in the world in a steet fight.
STEVENSKI
We need to remember that a street fight has no rules so eye gouging, kicks to the balls, headbutts & biting etc are all OK to use in addition to weapons you may find such as paving stones & sticks knives etc.

It is not so simple as to say because you are a boxer you will be a good streetfighter. That does not work. Being a trained fighter in any dicipline will give you an advantage over the average joe but does not mean you will win.

There have been plenty of professional fighter on the wrong end of a beatdown from a streetfighter.

That said if I was in a streetfight whose skills would I prefer PBF's or Spider's? Spider all day & twice on Sundays because he is more versatile.

hitman
QUOTE(3King3 @ Feb 7 2009, 02:16 AM) [snapback]424260[/snapback]
What Cane was this and what year?

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/ne...tory?id=1973034
Box in Hand
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Feb 6 2009, 09:56 PM) [snapback]424243[/snapback]
I don't think so..It's easy to keep the fight going while standing..If someone tried to grab your legs,throw a cut and if they do grab em,hold onto the person and lean ontop of em and throw kidney shots or elbow em in the back..If you can't throw short punches,it's likely it could go to the ground..

I disagree totally. When a person gets tired of getting hit the face they rush in. I have seen more fights end up on the ground than someone getting knocked out. You can see a waterdown version of this in MMA. As soon as one guy gets tired of them knuck knucks he shoots in.
King Eugene
QUOTE(hitman @ Feb 7 2009, 01:42 AM) [snapback]424264[/snapback]

LMAO...damn. Sucks for him. My Canes are always getting into something. That must have been one hell-a-fied punch!
Spyder
Sounds like it was more than one!

"All I could see were fists, and it was awful."

laugh.gif
pcraw
QUOTE(hitman @ Feb 7 2009, 02:01 AM) [snapback]424258[/snapback]

I don't think MMA fighters have brainwashed anyone, but in a street fight where you need more than just a good set of hands an MMA fighters skill set would better serve you. I agree 100% with what Stevenski said. A street fight has no rules, so you have to add punches, kicks, takedowns; hell I would bite the shit out of someone to get them off of me; anything goes. You guys are getting a punch and a street fight confused. There is no doubt if you let a boxer tee off on you he could really f@c* you up, but if the guy he is fighting gets the first shot or does not go down from his shot can he tussle? I'm not saying he could. I'm not saying he couldnt. But just because they can punch hard and know how to throw punches doesnt mean that could whoop any human being ass. I think I could beat up some of the guys on Friday Night Fights in a street fight. Just because a guy has professional boxing training dont mean he could kick the worlds ass. Do some of you guys think a fighter with a record of 8-21 with 2 knockouts are dangerous people? No, but to the general public it's like, "Don't fuck with that guy he's a professional boxer."
pcraw
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Feb 6 2009, 11:34 PM) [snapback]424230[/snapback]
A boxer could kill someone without gloves on very easily..

Blaze, you gotta stop saying this bro. There is no truth to it. I've seen Larry Holmes, MAB, Tyson and many other boxers hit guys with no gloves on and did nothing more than swell an eye up or leave a bruise. Hell even the story on this thread with Shannon Briggs. Was the guy fucked up? Yeah, but not dead. You have to understand a boxer is used to having his hands protected by gloves, so they get used to punching with gloves. Your assessment of a boxer killing someone without gloves is like saying Ray Lewis would kill someone if he hits them head up with no helmet on. It's just not true. In fact if you watch "Joe's vs. Pro's" that guy who didnt even know how to put the gloves on was frustrating the hell out of Gatti.
ROLL DEEP
It seems that most people are missing the point when it comes to 'street fighting'.

It has virtually NOTHING to do with the physical fighting skills a person has. It has EVERYTHING to do with their MENTAL attitude and how they MENTALLY react to a potenially life threatening situation.

People who may have no 'fighting skill' or have never had any 'fighting tuition' can easily beat up a dude who's supposedly a fighting machine at a chosen sport if the person with all the skill goes to pot in a real life situation.

Just because you can punch someone's lights out in a ring, doesn't mean you'll be able to beat people up on the street....obviously it will help, but it doesn't guarentee success.

Of course, the senario makes a different too.

If a drunk guy comes out of a bar, shouts to a boxer that he wants a fight, stumbles over with his hands ready, then obviously he plays right into the boxers strengths.

If the same drunk guy is standing right next to the boxer, and all of a sudden tries to grab the boxer, then the whole thing changes.

There really is too many things that could or could not happen....its just best to say that having a better MENTAL strength is better in a real fight.

rusty_trombone
yeah, street fights are all about surprise and just how far you are willing to go. I know this really short dude that used to start fights with everyone, big dudes too and would kick their asses. he would just spring on them like a squirrel, and before they knew it, they would be fucked up.

plus, when there's shit like bottles and barstools around, i don't care how well someone boxes, you hit a man with a barstool they are fucked.

and where do all these one-on-one battle royale street fights happen? if my boy is fighting, then i'm fighting too. most street fights end up with a bunch of people whooping someones ass, i don't care if you're a boxer a bunch of guys fighting dirty will whoop your ass. you might fuck some of them up, but you are definitely getting thumped.
JD
While street fighting is a totally different animal than boxing, I am going to go ahead and take the professional boxer over Joe Schmuck pretty much every time.
hitman
QUOTE(pcraw @ Feb 7 2009, 01:01 PM) [snapback]424292[/snapback]
Blaze, you gotta stop saying this bro. There is no truth to it. I've seen Larry Holmes, MAB, Tyson and many other boxers hit guys with no gloves on and did nothing more than swell an eye up or leave a bruise. Hell even the story on this thread with Shannon Briggs. Was the guy fucked up? Yeah, but not dead. You have to understand a boxer is used to having his hands protected by gloves, so they get used to punching with gloves. Your assessment of a boxer killing someone without gloves is like saying Ray Lewis would kill someone if he hits them head up with no helmet on. It's just not true. In fact if you watch "Joe's vs. Pro's" that guy who didnt even know how to put the gloves on was frustrating the hell out of Gatti.

Cook got into a fight with Stephen Lake, 26, outside a LaPorte bar on May 20, 2001, and "one good punch" snapped Lake's neck, said attorney Kim DeWitt, who prosecuted the case.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/boxing/2007...but-fight_N.htm

rusty_trombone
QUOTE(hitman @ Feb 7 2009, 02:54 PM) [snapback]424300[/snapback]
Cook got into a fight with Stephen Lake, 26, outside a LaPorte bar on May 20, 2001, and "one good punch" snapped Lake's neck, said attorney Kim DeWitt, who prosecuted the case.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/boxing/2007...but-fight_N.htm

he just happened to get off the first punch. what if someone kicked him in the nuts before the bar fight started. or if someone came up from behind him a smacked him in the back of the head with a bottle, and them stabbed him with the shards?
Spyder
...or if a suicide bomber blew up the bar. or if the other guy was doped up on pcp. or if the roof suddenly fell on top of his head. or if a bear strolled into the bar and bit off his face?
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Spyder @ Feb 7 2009, 03:54 PM) [snapback]424303[/snapback]
...or if a suicide bomber blew up the bar. or if the other guy was doped up on pcp. or if the roof suddenly fell on top of his head. or if a bear strolled into the bar and bit off his face?

all plausible things when engaged in a no holds bar street death match. That's why that kimbo guy is the most dangerous person on the planet.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Feb 7 2009, 12:02 AM) [snapback]424247[/snapback]
LOL there you go Johnny over analyzing it again. But really if it does end up on the ground the chances rise for a boxer to get his ass whooped. Now a MMA fighter is different, he is liable to fuck you up all the way around.

Most fights I've seen managed to stay standing but I have seen quite a few that ends up on the ground. Usually those get broken up faster unless its some ground and pound type stuff. Once a street fight goes to the ground it usually gets kind of boring and turns into a wrestling match and I've never seen no one get choked out before in a street fight. LOL but it would be funny as hell though. Can you picture a dude tapping out with nobody to break it up. LMAO

It's what I do best 3King3..I've also never seen anyone choked out in a street fight before and I've seen a lot..It is easy to keep a fight going on your feet if you know how to move..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(hitman @ Feb 7 2009, 02:01 AM) [snapback]424258[/snapback]

Exactly..That is what is happening..Teddy Atlas is the perfect example..Atlas has fought off over 4-5 big southern guys at once defending SHANNON BRIGGS!!!!Atlas cleaned house on those guys..Briggs dealt with a few too but Atlast fucked way more guys up than Briggs did..They left the dudes bloody..Read Teddy Atlas' book and find out..It would not be smart to try to fight with Atlas on the street..A boxer learns to deflect shots and bring his opponent off balance because of it and set the boxer up with a clean KO shot..

If a boxer has good footwork,you can make the guy miss with a easy quick side step and come back with bombs..My trainer had me try to throw punches at him for real with bare fists and he just kept side stepping me and showing me what could of happened had we been in a real fight..He also has a unique and very effective way to parry jabs,it sets the other guy off balance and basically brings their body into a right hand..My friend who has worked with my trainer for 6 months did this to me in sparring and he got a clean 1-2 on me..It's a crazy way to parry instead of just stopping a jab,we use that jab to set up something big..I've yet to get good at it,but in time I will be..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 7 2009, 02:21 AM) [snapback]424261[/snapback]
Boxers hands are lethal weapons...PRO boxers that is. PRIME Tyson could KO anyone in the world in a steet fight.

Besides other pro boxers that are better than him..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(pcraw @ Feb 7 2009, 01:01 PM) [snapback]424292[/snapback]

Percy,that's why I said a boxer could kill someone with gloves..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(ROLL DEEP @ Feb 7 2009, 01:16 PM) [snapback]424293[/snapback]
It seems that most people are missing the point when it comes to 'street fighting'.
It has virtually NOTHING to do with the physical fighting skills a person has. It has EVERYTHING to do with their MENTAL attitude and how they MENTALLY react to a potenially life threatening situation.
People who may have no 'fighting skill' or have never had any 'fighting tuition' can easily beat up a dude who's supposedly a fighting machine at a chosen sport if the person with all the skill goes to pot in a real life situation.

Just because you can punch someone's lights out in a ring, doesn't mean you'll be able to beat people up on the street....obviously it will help, but it doesn't guarentee success.
Of course, the senario makes a different too.
If a drunk guy comes out of a bar, shouts to a boxer that he wants a fight, stumbles over with his hands ready, then obviously he plays right into the boxers strengths.

If the same drunk guy is standing right next to the boxer, and all of a sudden tries to grab the boxer, then the whole thing changes.
There really is too many things that could or could not happen....its just best to say that having a better MENTAL strength is better in a real fight.

Boxing is 90% mental and 10% physical..It's be all mental but you need arms and legs to be able to fight..
BigG
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Feb 7 2009, 11:09 PM) [snapback]424317[/snapback]
Besides other pro boxers that are better than him..

What are you talking about Johnny? A prime Tyson would BREAK your hero, Evander Holyfield's JAW in a street fight. This is not the post-prison Tyson I'm talking about. This is the prime 1988 Tyson. laugh.gif
Snoop
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 8 2009, 01:56 AM) [snapback]424326[/snapback]
What are you talking about Johnny? A prime Tyson would BREAK your hero, Evander Holyfield's JAW in a street fight. This is not the post-prison Tyson I'm talking about. This is the prime 1988 Tyson. laugh.gif

I dunno man. Even post-prison Tyson that bit Holy's ear off would probably win in a street fight. I mean shit, if the guy's willing to bite another man's ear off IN a professional boxing match viewed by millions of people, what the hell would do be willing to do in a back alley?
rusty_trombone
All the street fights Blaze has seen resemble the final scene from Rocky V. I've never seen anyone "box" in a street fight, sure they can hurt you if they land a punch, but so can anyone with bare fists. Take Chuck Lidell as an example, can't box, doesn't throw correct punches but knocks the shit out of guys because he basically has bare fists. Like the fat biker dude who was in UFC, Tank Abbot.

That being said, boxers can do more damage if they do land a punch, since they use proper technique. So if they catch you unawares, or get the first punch in then good night. That's why you have to preemptively strike, like those fucker are hussein with wmds.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 7 2009, 08:37 PM) [snapback]424329[/snapback]
Haha, it's like every boxing scenario is his own fairytale, always a happy ending.

the boxer always comes out on top, I bet if Blaze wrote Forrest Gump he would have been a boxer instead of Ping-Pong player, war hero, shrimp boat captain, and extreme marathon runner.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 7 2009, 08:56 PM) [snapback]424326[/snapback]

Ok and no he wouldn't.. biggrin.gif
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Feb 7 2009, 09:29 PM) [snapback]424328[/snapback]
All the street fights Blaze has seen resemble the final scene from Rocky V. I've never seen anyone "box" in a street fight, sure they can hurt you if they land a punch, but so can anyone with bare fists. Take Chuck Lidell as an example, can't box, doesn't throw correct punches but knocks the shit out of guys because he basically has bare fists. Like the fat biker dude who was in UFC, Tank Abbot.

That being said, boxers can do more damage if they do land a punch, since they use proper technique. So if they catch you unawares, or get the first punch in then good night. That's why you have to preemptively strike, like those fucker are hussein with wmds.

Of course a boxer could lose a street fight and get KO'd by someone with a bare fist..I know that..Guys like Gatti could have a problem with anyone because he has no defensive skills but can hit and if he catches you,you're probably done..

Rusty,Forrest Gump would of been ruined if he was a boxer instead of a ping pong champ..hahaha..
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Feb 7 2009, 08:10 PM) [snapback]424327[/snapback]
what the hell would do be willing to do in a back alley?

Bum them?
Snoop
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Feb 8 2009, 08:41 AM) [snapback]424362[/snapback]
Ok and no he wouldn't.. biggrin.gif

You honestly believe that Holyfield would beat Mike Tyson in a street fight? Ear munching, trying to break Kevin McBride's arm, Lennox Lewis leg biting Tyson? Where do you come up with that?
torvix2000
Street fight in Afghanistan! Hell no! No boxer will survive that. LOL!
King Eugene
QUOTE(Spyder @ Feb 7 2009, 10:30 AM) [snapback]424283[/snapback]
Sounds like it was more than one!

"All I could see were fists, and it was awful."

laugh.gif

That was super funny though. He sounded so defensiveless.
King Eugene
QUOTE(torvix2000 @ Feb 8 2009, 08:02 AM) [snapback]424377[/snapback]
Street fight in Afghanistan! Hell no! No boxer will survive that. LOL!

LMAO...where the hell that come from?

I'd take Kimbo over just about anyone in a street fight now. He has a little bit of JJ knowledge so he is a little more dangerous. You guys see what he did to Big D?

Question...what is street fights organized street fights cause they wouldn't let anyone go to the ground? If Sean Gannon wouldn't have tried to choke him out I think he would have took an L. But thats just me.
King Eugene
QUOTE(JaRaNDa @ Feb 8 2009, 12:24 AM) [snapback]424359[/snapback]
But looking at the question at a whole, I don't see how being a pro boxer will hurt you in a street fight at all..only help!! Yes it's not out of the question at all for a boxer to get beat in a street fight! It mostly comes down to balls and attitude in a street fight which is the biggest factor over being a good fighter! Give me Kimbo head-to-head (very limited hype job) over Mayweather in a street fight! and Give me Mayweather over your average joe!
Attitude is the key but give me a boxer over an average Joe in a fight!
No1 beats a PRIME Tyson in a street fight lol!!

Did you not see what Mayweather did to The Big Show? laugh.gif He whoops ass!

Who would you take in a street fight...The Big Show or Kimbo Slice?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.