Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ever been knocked down or hurt badly by a head/body shot?
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Training Tips
BigG
I was knocked down (gloves touched the canvas I think but a little off balance) in my first fight and hurt to the body a few times in sparring.

I don't know which is worse.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 10 2009, 03:57 AM) [snapback]424551[/snapback]
I was knocked down (gloves touched the canvas I think but a little off balance) in my first fight and hurt to the body a few times in sparring.

I don't know which is worse.

I've never been hurt to the head or body..I've only been moved back against the ropes when I was DEAD tired and got hit with a 1-2..I literally was completely done I was so tired and had to stop after the round was over..This was very early on in my boxing days..I wasn't hurt at all,just tired..Through all the sparring,nothing has fazed me yet though..Smallest dude I've sparred was 175 and the biggest was 250..Wide range but very good to keep me honest..I've learned I can take a real good punch and have a warrior spirit(won't allow myself to be put down) but I do need to work on speed guys..The dude I sparred that was 175 was a 4 times GG champ and is the fastest guy I've ever seen at any gym I've ever been to at that weight or heavier..

Big G,being hurt to the body is worse in my opinion..All it means though is that you need to keep covered more..Anyone can be hurt to the body if hit on the right spot,like the liver..If M. Ward got you with that left hook to the body,you are goin down no matter how well you can take a body shot..I've broken a dude's ribs with one shot(and only shot I landed in the first 20 seconds of sparring) and put him down..If he didn't go down after having his ribs broken,he is a freak in my book(it's very possible,but crazy)..Having your glove touch normally is more of a balance shot,I wouldn't worry about that..
BigG
Yeah...actually in all my time boxing...almost all the knockdowns I've scored were body shots. Getting hit with a big shot that rocks you'll know you're rocked because of how dizzy you get and you feel the pressure of the hit..but body shot is a stinging pain that stays for a while so I think body shot might be worse.

Zab Judah claims the hardest he's ever been hit was by Micky Ward to the body
ROLL DEEP
Yeah, I've been dropped.

I lost a LOAD of weight too quickly for my last fight and was weak as fuck. I started off boxing smoothly, got hit with a straight right and hit the floor.

I was up quickly and recovered on my stool. I beat him in the 2nd round and gave him a standing 8 in the last round as the ropes kept him up as I smashed the shit out of him, lol.

Man, I was tired. I lost lke 5-6kgs in a couple of weeks and felt really weak. I found out after that the guy I fought had around 7-8 wins and won 6 of them (or something like that) by 1st/2nd round KO's.....my coach never told me....bastard laugh.gif
HaydelHammer
boxing - got hit in the back of the head once. went down on all fours. had a delayed reaction type of deal. equilibrium off big time, but knew where I was and what happened. was weird feeling.

took another one during an exchange once to the body that froze my a$$ in my tracks.

kickboxing/muay thai - haven't been dropped yet but I've taken some knees, elbows, back fists, leg kicks..etc.etc that have me sore for days man. brutal
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(HaydelHammer @ Feb 16 2009, 11:13 PM) [snapback]425549[/snapback]
boxing - got hit in the back of the head once. went down on all fours. had a delayed reaction type of deal. equilibrium off big time, but knew where I was and what happened. was weird feeling.

took another one during an exchange once to the body that froze my a$$ in my tracks.

kickboxing/muay thai - haven't been dropped yet but I've taken some knees, elbows, back fists, leg kicks..etc.etc that have me sore for days man. brutal

Leg kicks are terrible.

Get hit with a good one of them and your leg seizes up. It's like you have a wooden leg like a pirate laugh.gif
HaydelHammer
QUOTE(ROLL DEEP @ Feb 17 2009, 04:44 AM) [snapback]425571[/snapback]
Leg kicks are terrible.
Get hit with a good one of them and your leg seizes up. It's like you have a wooden leg like a pirate laugh.gif

yep...this older guy in his 50's that has his own studio yet trains at my gym took me aside and showed me how he would "take me out" basically. It was cool since I'm there strictly to learn and just see where i'm at basically on a combat level....never plan to go pro or anything.

but this dude landed a leg kick to the out side of the lower part of my quad outside and above my knee that gave me wood leg like you said.

I tried to bail out and the next thing I knew he was behind me kneeing me in that same hamstring in the back of that leg. then he judo hip tossed my a$$ to the ground.LMAO

he's about 5"6 160-170 maybe 50+ with a gut, I'm 31 5'11 215-219 14-15% bf. and he rag dolled my a$$. LOL.

I was speechless (and in pain obviously) but I have so much respect for "the pro's" who box, k-1, mma..etc. They are on an entirely different level man. Insane.
ROLL DEEP
I hear what you're saying, dude.

I'm a fit guy, but I went to a BJJ class a few weeks ago and had a spar with some older dude. He must've been in his late 40's/early 50's and after a few minutes of grappling, man, I was fucked! He was still fresh as a daisy.

It was only through brute strength I managed to hold him off. I was a good few stone heavier than him but the dude was all over me.

I'm a striker....do boxing and Kickboxing, but I train in BJJ everynow and again to get my ass whooped! laugh.gif
HaydelHammer
QUOTE(ROLL DEEP @ Feb 17 2009, 01:02 PM) [snapback]425589[/snapback]
I hear what you're saying, dude.
I'm a fit guy, but I went to a BJJ class a few weeks ago and had a spar with some older dude. He must've been in his late 40's/early 50's and after a few minutes of grappling, man, I was fucked! He was still fresh as a daisy.
It was only through brute strength I managed to hold him off. I was a good few stone heavier than him but the dude was all over me.

I'm a striker....do boxing and Kickboxing, but I train in BJJ everynow and again to get my ass whooped! laugh.gif

LOL...yep. I'm staying away from that grappling for now man. lol.

they offer grappling also at my gym. I talked with the guy that trains it and he told me to get more flexible and expect to get tired really fast in there b/c of my size and he'd expect me to try to use power..etc....entirely different ball game...man..lol

says the muscle guys always come in hard..he just relaxes then all of a sudden he's all over them man.

I dislike when guys watch mma matches and just say crazy stuff and never tried it like we have man....not only do you have to worry about punches...you add in leg kicks, variety of punches and kicks. you can't stay flat footed, one kick to the leg and your base is gone, have to worry about take downs, clinches, elbows...man

LOL....the one good thing the old guy told me ...he goes....."hey..... you have good reflexes I can tell" "you won't just say in one spot and allow me to continue to hit you like most...atleast you move around after your hit" LMAO

I told him man I'm not just gonna stand there and let you kick my a$$ even more. LOL you will have to chase me down for that. LMAO

if anybody hasn't tried this stuff......man ....just pay the $$$$ find a nice gym and try it once on your life....you'll see MMA totally different man. LOL just like boxing if you do that.
HaydelHammer
QUOTE(ROLL DEEP @ Feb 17 2009, 01:02 PM) [snapback]425589[/snapback]

man i'm still trying to get more flexible on my kicks. leg kicks flow pretty smoothly.

I can get a nice round kick to the body with my right leg....I'm right handed....I suck with my left with all my kicks man.

as far as anything high (shoulder and above) can't get up there just yet. LOL.

ROLL DEEP
laugh.gif

Check us lot out getting bust up by OAP's.
HaydelHammer
QUOTE(ROLL DEEP @ Feb 17 2009, 04:52 PM) [snapback]425612[/snapback]
laugh.gif

Check us lot out getting bust up by OAP's.

LMAO I know. LOL

all good. Those old dudes passing the torch down to us.

they see we are willing to take the lumps along the way.

The average man we'd wipe out no problem i'm sure so that's the way I see it, so I'm humble about the beat downs I get from old dudes. LOL
Snoop
I got the wind knocked out of me the first time I sparred. Weird feeling. Literally couldn't breathe for a good 6 seconds.

Got KO'd in Guatemala by pulling a Nate Campbell. I let him take a couple shots to the head and never really recovered from the buzz it gave me. He saw it and pounced on my ass within 5 seconds. Guess I kinda deserved it. lol.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 10 2009, 11:03 AM) [snapback]424567[/snapback]
Zab Judah claims the hardest he's ever been hit was by Micky Ward to the body

I believe it!!Ward in my opinion was one of the most accurate body punchers..When he'd really work for the liver shot,he'd almost always get one..He is a ATG when it comes to body punches and that liver shot..He is not a ATG over all but in body work/liver shot,he is..
Chi-Town
Being totally honest, body shots are what made me quit boxing. I almost felt like there was something defective with my body because I just couldn't tolerate them. I could take head shots with no problem, never even really been wobbled to the head, but I just can't take body shots AT ALL. Seriously, when I fighting if you got me with 3 good body shots in a round I wasn't making it out. Everytime I see someone I know from back then they STILL make fun of me!

I can't for the life of me figure out how a human being can take 12 rounds of body shots...it boggles my mind.
Chi-Town
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 5 2009, 06:33 PM) [snapback]427158[/snapback]
Like I said, I been dropped twice. Both times was in 1 round and all body shots to the exact same spot. I was in pain. They are terrible.

Terrible is right...A good body shot just makes you feel like you've lost total control of your lower half. I would just crumble to all fours sometimes and it was like I couldn't even control it. Its like someone just hit the off button on your legs, immediately followed by stinging pain and an inability to breathe on top of it all.
streetlion1
I was dropped once by an uppercut right on the chin...other than that I've been hurt a bunch but never dropped....its always the punch that you dont see that hurts you the most.
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Mar 6 2009, 04:29 PM) [snapback]427255[/snapback]
I was dropped once by an uppercut right on the chin...other than that I've been hurt a bunch but never dropped....its always the punch that you dont see that hurts you the most.

Aint that the truth.

You don't see it and all of a sudden - BAM! - your heads spinning and you're thinking, 'What the fuck just hit me? What type of punch was that? Bastard!'
Lil-lightsout
Never dropped or even hurt in any of my fights, but had a few standing 8's cause I was dead fn tired not punching back enough. laugh.gif Those were the fights I did not train too hard, too many problems outside the ring. In sparring was crumpled by a heavyweight who smashed me with a bodyshot(at my gym), felt like I was stabbed with a 100 knives. Only ever got dropped once by a headshot sparring, I was 130lbs, he was 156lbs. I buckled him with a hook and he got real pissed and I got hit with an overhand right and I fell right on the seat of my pants. I never was hit like that before or after again.
Mandirigma
MMA.. Leg Kicks Immobilize me and affected my ability to walk for 3days.. damn wahhaha
PR316
I've been dropped by a bodyshot and its definitely not fun, I will say that.

I've been buzzed to the chin quite a few times as well and the one time I went down from a shot to the chin was more due to exhaustion(I had never sparred 6 rounds before)... At that point I could barely hold my arms up and my punches were very weak and my legs were just stiff and couldn't move so it was like I was almost WILLING to take a shot rather than slip or block it because I didn't have the energy to do it.
pesticid
I sparred a guy who was 175 lbs and I was like only 125 or so at the time. He hit me so hard, all this blackness like covered my vision and it stayed there for a second and a half, really scary. Wasn't knocked down, wasn't even on wobbly legs, but that blackness scared me. I think he hit me on the side of the head or close to the ear. I just heard the trainer scream stop, and I guess that's why the guy didn't follow up with another finishing shot. We sparred without headgear.
mexi-cutioner
QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 27 2010, 08:05 PM) *
I sparred a guy who was 175 lbs and I was like only 125 or so at the time. He hit me so hard, all this blackness like covered my vision and it stayed there for a second and a half, really scary. Wasn't knocked down, wasn't even on wobbly legs, but that blackness scared me. I think he hit me on the side of the head or close to the ear. I just heard the trainer scream stop, and I guess that's why the guy didn't follow up with another finishing shot. We sparred without headgear.

Jesus Christ, what boxing gym do you train at? Your trainer should NOT be letting you spar with a guy whos 50 pounds heavier than you if you're only 125 pounds. I walk at 145 and compete at 132 and never spar fighters at 160 pounds or heavier.

I'm a pretty resilient kid and have taken alot of good, hard shots so I consider my chin to be pretty good. I've had a couple standing 8 counts due to fatigue or getting pushed back to the ropes, and was scored a knockdown because I lost balance and my glove touched the canvas but none of those really fazed me. The worst shots are DEFINITELY the body shots. Took a good one to the liver and it knocked all the wind outta me and it felt as if I had been momentarily electrocuted. Body shots imo are the most effective to dish out and the most painful to receive
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ Apr 28 2010, 06:10 AM) *
Jesus Christ, what boxing gym do you train at? Your trainer should NOT be letting you spar with a guy whos 50 pounds heavier than you if you're only 125 pounds. I walk at 145 and compete at 132 and never spar fighters at 160 pounds or heavier.

I'm a pretty resilient kid and have taken alot of good, hard shots so I consider my chin to be pretty good. I've had a couple standing 8 counts due to fatigue or getting pushed back to the ropes, and was scored a knockdown because I lost balance and my glove touched the canvas but none of those really fazed me. The worst shots are DEFINITELY the body shots. Took a good one to the liver and it knocked all the wind outta me and it felt as if I had been momentarily electrocuted. Body shots imo are the most effective to dish out and the most painful to receive

Joe Louis would spar with really small guys to adjust to their speed to make things easier when he'd get in with a heavyweight..Not always a bad thing if the guy weighs a lot more than you as long as they know not to be throwing bombs..

I'm 200 lbs and I've only sparred a couple smaller guys(normally I spar bigger guys) but I want to start sparring with more smaller guys to get better timing and reflexes so these heavyweights look like slow motion..I've never sparred with anyone 50 lbs smaller though but I'd like to just to have to deal with their speed..I'd never throw a really hard shot on one unless they felt like they could throw everything they've got at me and I'd just go easy on em..I'd hit em good once to keep em honest or let em know I wasn't throwin bombs if they tried to pull that on me..
Spyder
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Apr 28 2010, 11:22 PM) *
Joe Louis would spar with really small guys to adjust to their speed to make things easier when he'd get in with a heavyweight..Not always a bad thing if the guy weighs a lot more than you as long as they know not to be throwing bombs..

I'm 200 lbs and I've only sparred a couple smaller guys(normally I spar bigger guys) but I want to start sparring with more smaller guys to get better timing and reflexes so these heavyweights look like slow motion..I've never sparred with anyone 50 lbs smaller though but I'd like to just to have to deal with their speed..I'd never throw a really hard shot on one unless they felt like they could throw everything they've got at me and I'd just go easy on em..I'd hit em good once to keep em honest or let em know I wasn't throwin bombs if they tried to pull that on me..

Ever spar a guy 90lbs heavier? LOL
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Spyder @ Apr 28 2010, 11:56 PM) *
Ever spar a guy 90lbs heavier? LOL

I've sparred with a dude who was 6'8-6'9,260 lbs..That was as high up as I've gone..With the tall guys,it all comes down to footwork and closing distance when they don't even notice it till you're right infront of em..I used to weigh around 205-210 but now I'm in better shape and have been hangin around 200,give or take(more give than take though,I eat a lot)..hahaha..Most I've weighed is 220..I'm 6'2 so 200 is a good weight for me..

How's your boxing going Spyder??
pesticid
QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ Apr 28 2010, 07:10 AM) *

Well, this was back in Bulgaria when I was 17 years old. We didn't get access to the headgear because the headgear was only for the boxers who would compete. We were like the tripple A team or something and if somebody would show potential, then they get to train and spar with the competing team and possbile compete in the amateurs too.
As far as the guy that was 175 and me being just 125, I've sparred guys 180 and 190 but they have taken it rather easy on me, hard body shots yeah, but not anything really bad to the head. Now this 175 kid was really aggressive so he came at me really hard and I guess in self defense I was nailing him wih one twos and left hooks, two minutes later is when the hit came.

One advice that I could give to aspiring boxers who are in the lower weight divisions. Try to avoid sparring with much bigger guys even if they are taking it easy and you wear a headset, because if you do that on a consistent basis you develop bad habits. Just look at a guy like Zab Judah, I can tell you that this guy spars with big guys all the time, either that ot the Kostya loss lol.
mgrover
one time a guy dropped me with a body shot in sparring, it was that point just before the chest that always is weak for me...
Sunmanken
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jun 13 2011, 12:14 PM) *
one time a guy dropped me with a body shot in sparring, it was that point just before the chest that always is weak for me...

HAHAHAHA!! This dude is fuckin fragile.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.