Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 8 man lightweight tournament.
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Mean Mister Mustard
Lightweight tournament set
Posted February 11th 2009 at 03:58pm
By Michael RosenthalBuzz up!

A lightweight tournament involving some of the most-recognizable names in the sport has been finalized by Golden Boy Promotions.

Four bouts matching 135-pound contenders will kick off the tournament – called “Lightweight Lightning” – on April 4 in Texas (in either Austin or San Antonio) on HBO pay-per-view, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer said.

The matches are: Edwin Valero-Antonio Pitalua (for the interim WBC lightweight title); Michael Katsidis-Jesus Chavez; Jorge Barrios-Carlos Hernandez and Joel Casamayor-Julio Diaz.

The winners then would be matched in semifinal fights, Schaefer said.

“That’s eight fights and seven world champions,” said Schaefer, who included an interim title Katsidis held. “There’s a lot at stake. These guys have a lot to say about who is truly the best lightweight out there.”

Golden Boy has promotional ties to all but one of the fighters, Valero, who is promoted by Top Rank.

However, he thinks it’s likely that Valero would remain part of the tournament. If not, Schaefer said, the winner of the Juan Manuel Marquez-Juan Diaz fight on Feb. 28 could step in.

The most intriguing matchup is Valero (24-0, 24 knockouts) and Pitalua (46-3, 40 KOs).

Valero, who has had trouble getting medical clearance in the U.S. because of a head injury suffered in a motorcycle accident, will be fighting on a major network for the first time.

Also, the Venezuelan-born resident of Las Vegas, and Pitalua, a Colombian who lives in Mexico, have combined to knock out an astounding 64 of 73 opponents. Valero has stopped all 24 of his opponents and Pitalua has KO’d his last 14.

Katsidis (24-2, 20 KOs) bounced back from consecutive losses to Casamayor and Juan Diaz by outpointing Angel Hugo Ramirez last month. Chavez (44-4, 30 KOs) is a former two-time titleholder.

Barrios (47-4-1, 34 KOs) is coming off a KO loss to Rocky Juarez in September. Hernandez (43-7-1, 24 KOs) is 3-4 in his last seven fight but four of them were split decisions – two victories, two losses.

Casamayor (36-4-1, 22 KOs), another former two-time titleholder, is coming off the first KO loss of his career, against Marquez. And Julio Diaz (36-4, 26 KOs) has won two straight since he was stopped in 2007.

Pitalua is the only fighter among the eight who has not held at least an interim major title. All but he and Katsidis have held major belts outright.

I think this one is worth buying, I mean 4 matchups al involving top 10 lightweights, you have Katsidis who is entertaining, Valero a KO artist, old horse Casamayor and Barrios another scrapper. Call me crazy but if more undercards were like this one boxing would go a long way.
King Eugene
April is going to be a great boxing month. The lightweight tourny and then Pwill vs. Winky the next weekend. I'm looking forward to this!
Brad
as much as I want to see how Valero does against some better opposition, is anyone else out there hoping that Valero pulls out and the winner of JMM-Juan Diaz steps in?

I think they should push the tournament back a few weeks till later in April, drop Barrios-Hernandez and have the winner of JMM-Juan Diaz and Campbell-Funeka face off.

Juan Diaz was undisputed champion and lost to Nate Campbell, Casamayor was linear champion and lost to JMM - having both the linear champ and undisputed champ missing from a lightweight tournament would be like DK leaving Bernard Hopkins and Tito Trinidad out of his middleweight tournament many years ago.
Brad
QUOTE(3King3 @ Feb 13 2009, 01:50 PM) [snapback]424953[/snapback]
April is going to be a great boxing month. The lightweight tourny and then Pwill vs. Winky the next weekend. I'm looking forward to this!

this matchup is going to be awesome, i've got Winky's fights against Hopkins, Taylor, Mosley and Tito at home on the computer, I just can't see where the boring comments come from. Fair enough you can't mistake Winky for Ricardo Mayorga or Mike Tyson, but doesn't mean he isn't nice to watch. I'm pretty high on Paul Williams right now, he looked like garbage in the first against Quintana, but has been nothing but impressive since then. This fight will be very nice, i'm going with the Punisher but if Wink had been more active then i'd be picking him.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Brad @ Feb 13 2009, 01:21 AM) [snapback]424955[/snapback]
this matchup is going to be awesome, i've got Winky's fights against Hopkins, Taylor, Mosley and Tito at home on the computer, I just can't see where the boring comments come from. Fair enough you can't mistake Winky for Ricardo Mayorga or Mike Tyson, but doesn't mean he isn't nice to watch. I'm pretty high on Paul Williams right now, he looked like garbage in the first against Quintana, but has been nothing but impressive since then. This fight will be very nice, i'm going with the Punisher but if Wink had been more active then i'd be picking him.

I agree!
I've been a Winky fan for the longest and I enjoy watching all of his fights. As far as who I think will win. Its a pick'em. Deep down I'm rooting for Winky but for some reason I fee PWill will pull this one out.
D-MARV
The Lightweight Tourney is Awsome!!

I wish they would do this with a more divisions. Light Heavy, Welter, Light Welter, etc
Spyder
How is it possible to have a tourney with the biggest names in the division WITHOUT including the Champ?

Just curious if Don King and Nate Campbell would throw a wrench in this thing by offering a fight to one of the participants...
D-MARV
I think Don King and Nate Campbell should worry about Ali Funeka this weekend. I have my early pick of Upset of the Year.

But anyway, The winner of this tournament should have a mandatory shot a the lineal champ, whoever that may be. I'm hoping that the winner of Diaz-Marquez fights the winner of Funeka-Campbell with the winner of the Tournament having thier shot by the end of the year. But hey, this IS boxing we're talking about.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Feb 13 2009, 09:35 AM) [snapback]424973[/snapback]
I think Don King and Nate Campbell should worry about Ali Funeka this weekend. I have my early pick of Upset of the Year.

But anyway, The winner of this tournament should have a mandatory shot a the lineal champ, whoever that may be. I'm hoping that the winner of Diaz-Marquez fights the winner of Funeka-Campbell with the winner of the Tournament having thier shot by the end of the year. But hey, this IS boxing we're talking about.

That's what I think, that the winner of the tournament gets the JMM-Diaz winner.
AussieLad
Let the tournament go ahead as is, otherwise it will never happen waiting for the perfect line up
King Eugene
QUOTE(AussieLad @ Feb 13 2009, 04:58 PM) [snapback]425001[/snapback]
Let the tournament go ahead as is, otherwise it will never happen waiting for the perfect line up

You are absolutely right about that. Then there would come a money issue somewhere down the line.
Big Slim Sweet
I like this tournament idea a lot, though I wish Katsidis and Barrios were fighting each other instead since Chavez and Hernandez are both way past it IMO.
alaganza
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Feb 13 2009, 07:11 AM) [snapback]424968[/snapback]
The Lightweight Tourney is Awsome!!

I wish they would do this with a more divisions. Light Heavy, Welter, Light Welter, etc

Co-sign.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.