Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Johnny Tapia in pysch ward
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
kidbazooka1
Former three division champ Johnny Tapia has been committed to a psych ward.

link

Tapia was a thing of beauty in his prime he had blinding hand speed, brutal bodypunching, great foot movement and a helluva chin. In my opinion he would have licked Montiel, Mijares and Darchinyan with ease. The guy has had a rought life and despite his issues is a real polite and humble individual. I've had the pleasure of meeting him back in 00' and i couldn't believe he was chopping it up with me and my brother like we were lifelong buddies. I hope he can over come this and get his life together.
BigG
Hope he comes out okay. You just have to love Johnny Tapia. Always gave it his all and is an inspiration for becoming World Champ. And your right, if theres one guy that would stand infront of Darchinyan and just straight fuck him up with speed, toughness, skill...it was Tapia.
kidbazooka1
And even though he wasn't really known for his defense when he wanted he could make you miss a five punch combo by just ducking and slipping. Tapia was a complete fighter definitly one of the greatest 115lb of all time.
kidbazooka1
Fitz I know your a hardcore Vic supporter bro but we all seen what Nonito did to him now just imagine what a prime Tapia would do to Vic if they squared off. Vic is a bad dude i give him that but Johnny was on a different level than both Nonito and Vic.
BigG
Not dogging Vic but anyone that knows boxing should've known Arce, with his slow, crude style was easy pickings for any elite - especially since he was past his prime. Mijares and the Thia showed that. Mijares also did "bad" things to Arce. Doniare did some "bad" things to Vic when they fought and would've done the same to Arce.

Johnny Tapia would indeed beat the crap out of Vic, Mijares, Arce, Gorres, and even Montiel. He was big, fast, and powerful for his weight class.
BigG
Are you talking about Vic's fight with Federico Catubay? Of course, destroying a top fighter like Catubay makes you the baddest dude in the game.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 14 2009, 04:28 AM) [snapback]425060[/snapback]
I haven't seen it since, but I may watch Vic and Burgos, sad but that just shows how bad Vic is. I have another fight with Vic, it was after his loss with Donaire and he was fighting in some shitty RSL in New South Wales with like nobody there. Vic went to the 12th with him, and then in that 12th he basically fucked that guy up there and ended it before going to the scorecards, he smashed him hard and hurt him. Very, very bad.

There's no denying that Vic is a tough SOB and fun to watch but he's suffering from that Mayorga syndrom. You would have though he learn his lesson when Nonito starched him with that counter hook but I guess not. With all the talking he's doing about wanting to fight Vasquez or Marquez his time will come agian and when it does i just hope he doesn't end up like poor Burgos because as we all know karma's a bitch.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 14 2009, 04:33 AM) [snapback]425063[/snapback]
Yup, that's the one. Am I remembering correctly? Did you see it? He smashed him and ended him in that 12th, you could see it in his eyes that he would have considered it a loss for him if he let it got the distances. He was determined to not let it go 12 and in that 12th, he came out and blew him to pieces.
No, but destroying (a term I'm not using loosely) Arce, Mijares and Kirilov the way he did does make him a badass and beating (a robbery) a highly regarded fighter by yourself in Gorres does.

Arce is done as a top fighter we all know that, Kirilov was nothing special Vics best win without adoubt was against Mijares the rest were washed up b level fighters at best.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 14 2009, 04:39 AM) [snapback]425065[/snapback]
Him ending up like Burgos? That's crazy talk.

Lets hope.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 14 2009, 04:43 AM) [snapback]425068[/snapback]
Washed up fighters? Vic washed them in their own blood.

But they were still b level fighters at best.
BigG
Vic is a "bad" man as Fitz has been calling forever but let's be real, I just said Johnny Tapia would beat him up, and I'm sure alot of fans who have seen Johnny in his prime would tell you the same. And Fitz might be joking but he is indeed a Vic nuthugger, as is Aussielad and STEVENSKI are. There are other destroyers around his weight class.
kidbazooka1
Anyone who knows boxing knows Tapia would have beat the sh*t out of Vic nuff said.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 14 2009, 04:51 AM) [snapback]425070[/snapback]
And Fitz might be joking but he is indeed a Vic nuthugger, as is Aussielad and STEVENSKI are.

Im sure most here would agree with that.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 14 2009, 05:01 AM) [snapback]425073[/snapback]
laugh.gif

I'm only winding you guys up, I have predicted that Vic will get knocked out again in his career. But I still like him, his work ethic and he is unique (for boxing today) as a guy that is willingly wanting to fight the best, not forced to fight the best.

I agree with you on that one the guy has balls and is fun to watch.

BigG
I don't like Vic but I respect the hell out of him and he is the truth....and I have him in my freaking top 10 P4P...I'm actually praising Vic by singling him out of the fighters KidBazooka listed. Tapia and Vic would've been a hell of a fight. Interesting clash of styles but I think Tapia would do really well in this era.

And for the record, I hate Calzaghe more than Vic, so Vic isn't my most hated fighter in the game! laugh.gif
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I really love Tapia and I wish him all the best in his recovery but you get the feeling that this is a car crash that keeps happening again and again and Tapia will keep his foot on the accelerator until there is a fatality.

He was one of the original fighters that I used to see on TV that turned me into a hardcore boxing fan.

Him, Tyson, Toney and Clarence Bones Adams (hah! Bet you didn't expect the last one. I liked Bones and often wonder what happened to him.)

Douchebag
Anybody that has seen prime Tapia would agree that he would have put a woopin on Vic. Tapia would have been like a buzzsaw just peppering Vic with combos all night long. Vic's counter game is no where, where it would need to be to deal with Tapia.
Mean Mister Mustard
This sucks but you can't say you didn't expect this someday. The man has gone through so much and once he retired you just knew something bad would happen. Hope he gets better.
JLUVBABY
another advantage tapia would have had over vic is he took an hellacious punch and would come back with his own power punches... at his best tapia was funu as hell to watch... mi viva loca!!!
rusty_trombone
I didn't know he ever got out of the nut house.
Romulus9
Not only do I absolutely think a prime Tapia would have beaten Darchinyan up, I think the same thing of Danny Romero, although to a lesser degree.

Vic just isn't exactly the best technical fighter in the world but most of the guys at 115 right now aren't in a position to exploit it. Tapia would land shots at will, and his defense would drive Darchinyan crazy. It would be a seriously lopsided points win for Tapia. Also, I think Romero knocks Vic OUT in the same manner as Donaire. Everyone remembers Tapia but Romero is a largely forgotten champion (mostly because his most memorable fight was the loss to Tapia in the long-awaited showdown). Romero was just a brutal puncher for his weight class, technically sound, great chin, really respectable guy. I still think he got screwed against Bungu too.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(wvu8893 @ Feb 14 2009, 03:04 PM) [snapback]425106[/snapback]
Not only do I absolutely think a prime Tapia would have beaten Darchinyan up, I think the same thing of Danny Romero, although to a lesser degree.

Vic just isn't exactly the best technical fighter in the world but most of the guys at 115 right now aren't in a position to exploit it. Tapia would land shots at will, and his defense would drive Darchinyan crazy. It would be a seriously lopsided points win for Tapia. Also, I think Romero knocks Vic OUT in the same manner as Donaire. Everyone remembers Tapia but Romero is a largely forgotten champion (mostly because his most memorable fight was the loss to Tapia in the long-awaited showdown). Romero was just a brutal puncher for his weight class, technically sound, great chin, really respectable guy. I still think he got screwed against Bungu too.

Yes Romero was a brutal puncher and technicaly very sound. Unfortunatley for him he came along the same time as Tapia.I still remember watching the fight live back in 97' it was billed up as the biggest 115lb fight since Zarate/Zamora. In order to beat Danny you had to be a superb boxer with a granite chin he would have laid Vic out flat on his back.
Romulus9
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Feb 14 2009, 03:28 PM) [snapback]425112[/snapback]
Yes Romero was a brutal puncher and technicaly very sound. Unfortunatley for him he came along the same time as Tapia.I still remember watching the fight live back in 97' it was billed up as the biggest 115lb fight since Zarate/Zamora. In order to beat Danny you had to be a superb boxer with a granite chin he would have laid Vic out flat on his back.

One of my all-time favorite nights of boxing. Crowd was roaring, the sport was not only looking forward to it but needed it badly. It was a month after the Holyfield-Tyson rematch AND the forgotten farce that was Lewis-Akinwande. Boxing NEEDED something great and that whole night reminded everyone what boxing is really about, and how things should be. Baby Jake Matlala upset Michael Carbajal on the undercard and then the Tapia-Romero fight was great from start to finish.

I would have loved to see Tapia OR Romero annihilate Darchinyan. Donaire doing it again would suffice, I guess.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(wvu8893 @ Feb 14 2009, 03:11 PM) [snapback]425117[/snapback]
One of my all-time favorite nights of boxing. Crowd was roaring, the sport was not only looking forward to it but needed it badly. It was a month after the Holyfield-Tyson rematch AND the forgotten farce that was Lewis-Akinwande. Boxing NEEDED something great and that whole night reminded everyone what boxing is really about, and how things should be. Baby Jake Matlala upset Michael Carbajal on the undercard and then the Tapia-Romero fight was great from start to finish.
I would have loved to see Tapia OR Romero annihilate Darchinyan. Donaire doing it again would suffice, I guess.

that really was a great night of boxing.. i remember their was the rivalry between tapia and romero and romeros father training the two... i have the ppv fight card on tape.. i was pumped for that fight... tapia after every fight before hand once they started hyping the fight would scream to the crowd, "i want danny!!!"... i thought romero was gonna beat him but he did his thing that night...
AussieLad
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 14 2009, 08:51 AM) [snapback]425070[/snapback]
Vic is a "bad" man as Fitz has been calling forever but let's be real, I just said Johnny Tapia would beat him up, and I'm sure alot of fans who have seen Johnny in his prime would tell you the same. And Fitz might be joking but he is indeed a Vic nuthugger, as is Aussielad and STEVENSKI are. There are other destroyers around his weight class.

LOL... now you've hurt my feelings georgie poorgie... and me and my nuthugging ways had picked mijares to school vic. I think Tapia would most likely beat vic as well.

I suppose you class me as a nuthugger because i've said he would beat your baby boy montiel, and i'd picked him to beat your other pride and joy Gorres? Well he did beat gorres (fuck that draw decision bullshit), and when he moves up a division montiel will most likely have a belt by then so we shall see what happens when vic calls him out yahoo.gif

JLUVBABY
i had to say this to get back on subject for a minute... can you guys imagine johnny tapia in a quiet room getting a dose of meds. for being combative... lol... the thought is kinda funny to me... i feel bad for the guy tho it has to be terrible to have an addiction that rides your back like that that wont let go... truley sad...
kidbazooka1
Tapia has had this problem for a long time the symptoms were very noticable even during fights. He was always moving around like an energizer bunny but despite all that Johnny always showed love for his oppponents(well except for the first ayala fight)but he came around by the end of the fight. I recall a fight just can't remember against who where Johnny was hugging his opponent at the start of every rd then go right to work and beat the sh*t out if him. That was typical Johnny.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Feb 15 2009, 05:07 PM) [snapback]425400[/snapback]
Tapia has had this problem for a long time the symptoms were very noticable even during fights. He was always moving around like an energizer bunny but despite all that Johnny always showed love for his oppponents(well except for the first ayala fight)but he came around by the end of the fight. I recall a fight just can't remember against who where Johnny was hugging his opponent at the start of every rd then go right to work and beat the sh*t out if him. That was typical Johnny.

yeah its been a documented problem for probably 10 years or more but its a terrible affliction...
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 14 2009, 08:51 AM) [snapback]425070[/snapback]

I don't claim Vic is the greatest ever I just say he whoops some ass & hurts people good backing up his bold words. I like the fact that he has some stones unlike other so called "legends" on here that the only stones they have are stone cowards with a yellow streak the size of Texas down their spineless backs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.