Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I hope Winky is in fighting shape
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
streetlion1
I really hope Winky has one last good fight left in him. If he does he should dominate Paul "the hype job" Williams. PW will throw that pit-pat jab all night and try to stay away winning on points...I think Wink closes the distance and uses his superior skill to rough up the lame ass PWill.

Winky U.D.
JLUVBABY
yeah i hope the best winky shows up as well but because i would like to see the best man win.. i say that cuzz if its paul it will show that he truly has the goods to be a power house and a pound 4 pounder (if the real winky shows up)... my problem is that winky doesnt fight enough to be at his best and i exspect winky to show up make a good account but ultimately get outworked... i look at winky the same way i look at ike quartey... great talents that didnt fight enough to keep their skills at the optimal level... they both argued over money and didnt take the small fights that where needed in their situations to keep their respective skills sharp (the espn type fights).... anyway thats why i think ultimately wright will lose to paul williams... paul has been a lot more active and for sure is on top of his game right now...
D-MARV
Doesn't matter if this is The "Old" Winky or the "New" Winky or whatever the fuck you want to call it. Truth be told... Any version of Winky would lose to Paul Williams. This is just a bad style match up for Winky, PERIOD. The sad thing is that all the PWIll haters that are saying that Winky will expose him will be the same ones NOT giving PWill any credit for winning every single round. Have you guys not learned anything about what long layoffs do to old guys? did you see how terrible Nate Campbell looked last night? This will be a one sided ass beating with PWill having his hands raised at the end.
Spyder
Fitz, do you think that a fighter's skills stay the same as he ages?
KookedKrack
i think winky's defense and experience will get him the decision in this fight but he hasn't been in the ring in a while so who knows he might look like shit
STEVENSKI
If we are lucky there may be a stretcher ride for Winky. Hope his insurance is up to date.
Spyder
Ok, then an argument that the same fighters matched in their respective primes would have a different outcome is valid.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 15 2009, 07:51 PM) [snapback]425446[/snapback]
Yes, that's where I can see an argument if the fight is close. But just too often, I think if a fighter is in his 30's and loses we see people far too often go on about not being in there prime, and I think it's similar when we see a fighter lose when moving up in weight, people go straight to weight issues.
Like the Hopkins-Pavlik fight, a few people went on how it was the weight that made Pavlik look so bad, but it was the type of fight where the weight wasn't a problem, it was Hopkins.
Another thing was when Wright schooled Tito, and people went on how Tito was not in his prime. That's true, but he didn't look shot like Tyson either and it was the type of fight where Tito wasn't even close to winning, and I don't think a prime fight would have been much different, maybe just a bit more competitive.

good point fitz...
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I actually think Winky is going to pick apart Williams. He's going to catch all those shots on the glove, and counter with his own jabs that will get through. Eventually, Williams will get frustrated, and lower his work rate. Winky Wright will get even more dominant in the late rounds, and that straight left will get through. We saw Quintana do it, so Winky definitely do it. Verno Phillips got though with some nice counters, when he threw, but didn't have the defense of Winky Wright. Im looking forward to this fight.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Feb 15 2009, 08:59 PM) [snapback]425449[/snapback]
I actually think Winky is going to pick apart Williams. He's going to catch all those shots on the glove, and counter with his own jabs that will get through. Eventually, Williams will get frustrated, and lower his work rate. Winky Wright will get even more dominant in the late rounds, and that straight left will get through. We saw Quintana do it, so Winky definitely do it. Verno Phillips got though with some nice counters, when he threw, but didn't have the defense of Winky Wright. Im looking forward to this fight.

i would agree with you maybe if winky fought on a regular basis.. then the fight is at 154 too... a weight winky hasnt seen in a few years.. thats gonna be tough for him... i could be wrong but i just dont see it...
D-MARV
Winky's style is perfect for PWill. It's laughable that people say Quintana did it so I know Winky can do it. Winky fights nothing like Quintana nor Verno Phillips. Winky is perfect for PWill. All Winky does is walk foward with his hands up high. He a easy target for PWill. Quintana was able to get past PWill because he used good movement. He was able to move in and out and Quintana is a much slicker boxer than Winky. All Winky will do is walk foward. When PWill starts throwing Winky will cover up. The problem is that PWill will not stop throwing so you will see Winky covered up for 80% of the fight. A PRIME Winky loses to PWill as well. Winky has never done well against busy fighters. See Soliman, and Simon fights. You guys better give PWill his props when he destroys Winky. Cory Spinks has a much better chance of beating PWill than Winky does. Truth of the matter is that Winky is not an elite fighter anymore. He getting older and he is coming off a 2 year layoff. PWill will win 10 rounds easy and may even stop Winky. I do give Winky credit for having a pretty good chin so my official prediction is PWill by UD.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Feb 16 2009, 07:42 AM) [snapback]425474[/snapback]
Winky's style is perfect for PWill. It's laughable that people say Quintana did it so I know Winky can do it. Winky fights nothing like Quintana nor Verno Phillips. Winky is perfect for PWill. All Winky does is walk foward with his hands up high. He a easy target for PWill. Quintana was able to get past PWill because he used good movement. He was able to move in and out and Quintana is a much slicker boxer than Winky. All Winky will do is walk foward. When PWill starts throwing Winky will cover up. The problem is that PWill will not stop throwing so you will see Winky covered up for 80% of the fight. A PRIME Winky loses to PWill as well. Winky has never done well against busy fighters. See Soliman, and Simon fights. You guys better give PWill his props when he destroys Winky. Cory Spinks has a much better chance of beating PWill than Winky does. Truth of the matter is that Winky is not an elite fighter anymore. He getting older and he is coming off a 2 year layoff. PWill will win 10 rounds easy and may even stop Winky. I do give Winky credit for having a pretty good chin so my official prediction is PWill by UD.

Thats a pretty bold statement there, I will give you props if you are right on. The biggest factor for me is the long layoff and inactivity for Winky. I really am not too sure how this fight is going down. If Winky can somehow bring his "A" game, I think he will give PW some problems and it will be a competative fight. PW leaves himself wide open for counters so much, but will Winky be able to let his punches go and make PW pay? If PW does dominate Winky, which I do not see happening, everyone will say Winky was shot, inactive, etc. Which could possibly be true considereing it has been forever since we seen a Wright sighting. So if PW wins, I want to see him in with an active, fresher, top jr. middleweight or middleweight next. I honestly have no prediction for this fight, I have no clue what to expect from Winky and how there match plays out.
Spyder
I see what you're saying Fitz, but I don't necessarily agree. What about KO's? Is that a blow out or is that a close fight?

What about Joe C. and Roy? That shit was a blowout, but I don't think that Joe would've survived that first round with Roy in his prime...

Basically, what I'm saying is that it's pretty obvious when watching two men fight...whether it's what one fighter is doing to win the fight, or what the other fighter isn't doing. When the fighter that isn't doing something...but he did his entire career, then you can't dismiss claims that he was past it.
Imperius3
Prime Wright would beat Williams if you ask me. I don't know what to expect from this old, inactive Wright though. Williams is a fresh young lion. It's gonna be a tough fight for Winky.
Spyder
That's true, but then don't use that name as proof that you fought someone great.
King Eugene
Alright alright, enough talk about Jones getting his ass whooped! laugh.gif

I like both fighters. To me its a pick'em fight. It really depends on how Winky shows up. We already know what PWill is going to do. I'm a PWill fan so to me this is like a win win situation. I wont be rooting for either fighter specifically, I'll just be rooting for a pretty good tatical fight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.