Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cotto vs. Jennings/Pavlik vs. Rubio Preview/RBR/Postfight
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Jack 1000
Hi FightHypers,

Due to the overall low interest in this fight (with the obvious exception in the Ohio area for Pavlik!) this is probably the first time that I or any staffers are combining the prefight, round-by-round, and post fight reactions in the same thread. (Normally, if this was a legit PPV, HBO, or Showtime card, we would do a preview thread at least 3-5 days before and than a separate thread for the fight.) But who knows? Boxing as Larry Merchant has said is the "Theater of the Unexpected."

So give us your thoughts? We know it's a bird-shit PPV, but I think that Pavlik-Rubio could be better than expected. No way that I expect either of the opponents (Jennings,) (Rubio,) to win. However, it's still two title belt fights, so it should mean something for our community. Anybody getting this? Any predictions?

I'll say Pavlik by WIDE UD over Rubio and Cotto KO 5 over Jennings. But I don't know anything about Jennings so it's a total guess.

Just remember the SPOILER POSTS WILL START ABOUT 8:15 CST. and this will be the thread for the fight. So don't post after 8 PM CST tonight if you are taping, or DVR/Tivo'ing the fight for later. (Unless you're watching it live and want to contribute to the RBR/post-fight stuff.)

Jack

Administrator
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Feb 21 2009, 04:37 PM) [snapback]426038[/snapback]
Hi FightHypers,

Due to the overall low interest in this fight (with the obvious exception in the Ohio area for Pavlik!) this is probably the first time that I or any staffers are combining the prefight, round-by-round, and post fight reactions in the same thread. (Normally, if this was a legit PPV, HBO, or Showtime card, we would do a preview thread at least 3-5 days before and than a separate thread for the fight.) But who knows? Boxing as Larry Merchant has said is the "Theater of the Unexpected."

So give us your thoughts? We know it's a bird-shit PPV, but I think that Pavlik-Rubio could be better than expected. No way that I expect either of the opponents (Jennings,) (Rubio,) to win. However, it's still two title belt fights, so it should mean something for our community. Anybody getting this? Any predictions?

I'll say Pavlik by WIDE UD over Rubio and Cotto KO 5 over Jennings. But I don't know anything about Jennings so it's a total guess.

Just remember the SPOILER POSTS WILL START ABOUT 8:15 CST. and this will be the thread for the fight. So don't post after 8 PM CST tonight if you are taping, or DVR/Tivo'ing the fight for later. (Unless you're watching it live and want to contribute to the RBR/post-fight stuff.)

Jack

Administrator

Who the hell would pay 45 bucks to watch 2 confidence builder fights??I'm not saying it's not possible for Rubio or Jennings to win but is not likely..These fights are meant to bring Pav and Cotto's confidence up after losing bad..Cotto ended up getting messed up and Pav got humiliated by Hopkins..So 45 bucks to watch them try to regain their confidence??This is this the worst PPV in the last decade if you ask me..I am also talking about 45 dollar PPVs,not 15-30 dollar PPVs..These fights at best deserve only 5 dollars if it has to be PPV..I hope Pavlik and Cotto feel really stupid after these fights once they see the numbers on PPV buys..It isn't all their fault it's PPV,but they do have a say in it..
Jack 1000
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Feb 21 2009, 07:33 PM) [snapback]426046[/snapback]
Who the hell would pay 45 bucks to watch 2 confidence builder fights??I'm not saying it's not possible for Rubio or Jennings to win but is not likely..These fights are meant to bring Pav and Cotto's confidence up after losing bad..Cotto ended up getting messed up and Pav got humiliated by Hopkins..So 45 bucks to watch them try to regain their confidence??This is this the worst PPV in the last decade if you ask me..I am also talking about 45 dollar PPVs,not 15-30 dollar PPVs..These fights at best deserve only 5 dollars if it has to be PPV..I hope Pavlik and Cotto feel really stupid after these fights once they see the numbers on PPV buys..It isn't all their fault it's PPV,but they do have a say in it..

I agree,

This sham masquerading as a PPV is just a confidence builder for Cotto and Pavlik after losing. Easily one of the least deserving PPV's of the last decade (and that's saying something.) I agree with JB totally. We should have petitioned Verses or ESPN to pick this up. HBO refused this steaming pile of shit. That's how bad this is. One bad thing about an upset, or two upsets, although extremely unlikely, is that Arum may use this shit as his ace in his (ass)hole to justify the $45 cost of terrible fights like this.

I hope this is the first PPV in history to do under 100,000 buys. In all honesty, 100 buys is too much. However, I think we have an obligation to provide an RBR thread for this fight because of the two names involved, but that's it.

Jack
Al Hata

I bought the fight, yea I know. I'm nuts.

But what a start, Charlie Steiner just froze up and choked bad leading into the show. Hilarious stuff, hope it goes up on youtube asap.
Yucayeke
I got it too. Damn addiction. Oh well lets see what happens, if i went out drinking, was gonna spend more, sooooo.

By the way Jones got KTFO with 10 seconds left in 4rd round against the russian dude, can't remember his last name, lol
Jack 1000
But what a start, Charlie Steiner just froze up and choked bad leading into the show. Hilarious stuff, hope it goes up on youtube asap.

How exactly? LOL

What did he do or not do? Maybe this will be "Night of The Strange!"

Jack
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Al Hata @ Feb 21 2009, 09:05 PM) [snapback]426049[/snapback]
I bought the fight, yea I know. I'm nuts.

WTF? I need to see that. No way am I buying this crap, and it is $54 for HD broadcast here!!! Who the heck watches these fights in standard definition these days? I could never ever go back.
Al Hata
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Feb 21 2009, 09:41 PM) [snapback]426055[/snapback]
How exactly? LOL

What did he do or not do? Maybe this will be "Night of The Strange!"

Jack

Opening line on camera, he was about to start saying something to Al Bernstein and completely forgot his lines after getting out maybe 3 words. Stared at Al for about 5 seconds with a shocked look on his face expressing "Oh fuck" eventually he recovered. Epic fail. It was bad, LOL.
Yucayeke
round 4 of the Vanda - Duddy fight and Duddy is connecting. Duddy seems a bit more reserved than in other fights. Vanda seems to be coming on , but Duddy doesn't seem to be taking the bait, jabbing more and doesn't seem willing to mix it up in the middle
The CEO
I hear my boy, Duddy's, been puttin' on a clinic....good for him....
D-MARV
Duddy beats Winky
Al Hata
WOW , Duddy looked great but is wobbled in the 10th, he could go!
Al Hata

Duddy hangs on and looked good. Like to see him in there with somebody decent.
The CEO
Vanda brought it to him in the 10th....Duddy got shook....he was probably tired from moving around the ring and boxing all night...the guy's used to going toe to toe...
Mean Mister Mustard
Cotto might beat up the brit just to let off some steam.
The CEO
Jennings looks like he's about crap his trunks...lol....he's scared, and he should be...

Feel out 1st round....
The CEO
To Jennings' credit...at least he's throwing while he's scared....I'll give him the 2nd....1-1
Yucayeke
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Feb 22 2009, 03:47 AM) [snapback]426068[/snapback]
To Jennings' credit...at least he's throwing while he's scared....I'll give him the 2nd....1-1

Don't know about the second, but Cotto certainly can do better
Mean Mister Mustard
Yeah, Jennings moving a bit too much but he is throwing. Props to him.
KookedKrack
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Feb 21 2009, 10:09 PM) [snapback]426062[/snapback]
Duddy beats Winky

not even duddy believes that
The CEO
I gave the 2nd to Jennings out of sympathy.....lol

Cotto is a little slower and more tentative than he needs to be...
Yucayeke
Nicely done jennings Down!
The CEO
WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

The 1st time Cotto truly engages he puts Jennings down....puts him down twice total....Cotto was sandbagging....
Yucayeke
Fight over Cotto wins!!!!
WindyCityP
Long flight home for the bloke.
Mean Mister Mustard
Guys like Jennings, Urkal, Branco who are well schooled but have no exceptional handspeed or power are tailor made for Cotto, they cannot KO him and they cannot outbox him. Cotto is world class, he hits hard, goes to the body and can box. If he would have clinched wrestled Margarito like Mosley did he could have beaten Manos de Plaster.
Yucayeke
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Feb 22 2009, 03:59 AM) [snapback]426077[/snapback]
Guys like Jennings, Urkal, Branco who are well schooled but have no exceptional handspeed or power are tailor made for Cotto, they cannot KO him and they cannot outbox him. Cotto is world class, he hits hard, goes to the body and can box. If he would have clinched wrestled Margarito like Mosley did he could have beaten Manos de Plaster.

+1
The CEO
Jennings is a tough kid...but he really wasn't a challenge at all....

I thought Cotto had diminished there for a few rounds....but right when he started engaging and committing, I could tell he still has it....supposedly landed over 50% of his power punches....

Yucayeke
Impressive win, but against who? need more. I mean, dont get me wrong as a Boricua I am psyched, but... As a boxing nut, I need to see more before I am convinced he is back. reminded me of Trindad vs. Hassine Cheriffe

We will see,
Romulus9
QUOTE(Yucayeke @ Feb 21 2009, 11:04 PM) [snapback]426080[/snapback]
Impressive win, but against who? need more. I mean, dont get me wrong as a Boricua I am psyched, but... As a boxing nut, I need to see more before I am convinced he is back. reminded me of Trindad vs. Hassine Cheriffe

We will see,

What we saw tonight is the equivalent of a college football powerhouse playing a 1-AA school to start the season. If they have a problem, then that's a HUGE deal for the rest of the year. If they demolish them, then it's encouraging.

Cotto hammered him senseless, which is exactly what needed to happen, and shows that Cotto still has a lot left in the tank. How much? We'll have to see, but the fact is that Cotto is just a freak, and if he gets to you before the plaster sets, you're screwed.

Margarito.... you're on the clock.
BoxingStill#1
I had to watch one of my favorite boxers in a chopped up stream.....I tell ya, its more frustrating then anything...I was a cunt hair breaking my cpu
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE(wvu8893 @ Feb 21 2009, 11:08 PM) [snapback]426081[/snapback]

not for a year...lol
Romulus9
QUOTE(BoxingStill#1 @ Feb 21 2009, 11:12 PM) [snapback]426083[/snapback]
not for a year...lol

At least in the United States. =)
The CEO
QUOTE(wvu8893 @ Feb 21 2009, 11:08 PM) [snapback]426081[/snapback]
What we saw tonight is the equivalent of a college football powerhouse playing a 1-AA school to start the season. If they have a problem, then that's a HUGE deal for the rest of the year. If they demolish them, then it's encouraging.

Cotto hammered him senseless, which is exactly what needed to happen, and shows that Cotto still has a lot left in the tank. How much? We'll have to see, but the fact is that Cotto is just a freak, and if he gets to you before the plaster sets, you're screwed.

Nice comparison.

I'm expecting this one to end before the 7th as well....
BigG
Nice win Cotto! His body-punching was great and when he turned it up... it was over for Jennings. Jenning seemed like a pretty good fighter with some decent quickness but he was obviously outclassed.

Pavlik-Rubio up next...
Mean Mister Mustard
Someone should tell Rubio he's not Bernard Hopkins. Rubio has to stand his ground and throw.
The CEO
Rubio there for his paycheck....eating Pavlik's power shots, feeling them, and throwing nothing back....
Michigan Assassin
Easy first round for Kelly. Hopefully this was just a feeling out round for Rubio because if thats all he is coming with this will be over quick.
Yucayeke
Is it me or is Rubio scared shitless?
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Yucayeke @ Feb 21 2009, 11:26 PM) [snapback]426090[/snapback]
Is it me or is Rubio scared shitless?

I think he tasted Pavlik's power in the 1st and that just shocked the fight out of him.
The CEO
Rubio was beat when he signed the contract for this one....Pavlik is semi-carrying him here....
Michigan Assassin
Another bum that shows up for a fight and refuses to punch.

Christ you're cathing a beating already at least throw back.
Romulus9
So far, Rubio looks like Sugar Poo Buchanan against Andre Ward a couple of weeks ago...

outclassed, overpowered, completely screwed, and happy as long as the check clears.
Yucayeke
But there is a fine ass Brunette in the crowd! cool.gif
Michigan Assassin
At least Rubio was willing to throw a little bit in that round. Still lost the round but made it a little more interesting.
Yucayeke
Rubio's body is open to all kinds of punishment.
Mean Mister Mustard
I'd like to see Pavlik throw the right uppercut. Mix in those punches.
Yucayeke
Good round, the Ghost won it, but Rubio at least looked like he was in it at times.
The CEO
Rubio needs to make up his mind....it's like he's realizing he was being a bum.....starting to show some spirit after covering up and being pummelled....either lay down like you were planing to or go out with some pride....
Yucayeke
Wow Rubio actually looked alive, seemed like he even made Kelly think about it
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.