Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mayweather vs Marquez:
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Sugar Q
This would be a mismatch but I'm sure some PBF haterz have other things to say. Let's have a CLEAN,RESPECTFUL discussion guys. Everybodies entitled to their own opinion smile.gif Ellerbee said it best "BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU ASK FOR MR.MARQUEZ
lloyd mayflower
hard to keep discussion about the petty boy civilized. will try tho. I think its a non starter as floyd would obviuosly demand it at 147, which i think leaves JMM with the odds heavily stacked against him, but i think he has the talent to cause floyd much trouble and personally would love to see JMM land one of them uppercuts right on his chin
Douchebag
This fight is competative no mater who wins. Pffffffffffffffffft Mismatch.
D-MARV
Mayweather wins via Late stoppage but a very competitive fight. As someone already mentioned, if there is one guy who has the ring smarts like Hopkins and Mayweather, it's Marquez.

Box in Hand
Marquez has taken a lot of punishment in the ring over the years and Saturday was no different. I guarantee that fight took something out of him. Now, Floyd would beat his behind all over the ring regardless of what folks say. Marquez is smart and is a great fighter but Floyd moves too well for Marquez who didn't get his legs moving until mid fight. This would be a pot shot festival as Floyd coasted to an easy win.
The Original MrFactor
Depends on the weight they fight at. if its above 140, then Mayweather beats him. If somehow, JMM's peeps convince Money to come down to 135, its pick-em. I really think JMM has reached his tolerabl;e limit at 135. I think he's in trouble if he goes above that.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 2 2009, 09:33 PM) [snapback]426762[/snapback]
Let Marquez beat a top 140 kind of fighter before thinking about this. I don't see Mayweather moving below 147 and Marquez jumping straight to 147 to fight Mayweather? lol. Ok then.

He already did in Pac?
Mean Mister Mustard
Mayweather beats Marquez but it would not be easy, no Marquez fight is ever easy. Then again this isn't happening but I do think that if Mayweather comes back he'll either face Pacquiao but he won't get in there with Paul Williams. That's for sure and it is a shame because I think Mayweather beats Williams. That's the thing, on paper you could say he beats everyone, but no fighter is unbeatable and it is often the guy you least expect who pulls the upset.
BigG
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Mar 2 2009, 10:52 PM) [snapback]426787[/snapback]
Mayweather beats Marquez but it would not be easy, no Marquez fight is ever easy. Then again this isn't happening but I do think that if Mayweather comes back he'll either face Pacquiao but he won't get in there with Paul Williams. That's for sure and it is a shame because I think Mayweather beats Williams. That's the thing, on paper you could say he beats everyone, but no fighter is unbeatable and it is often the guy you least expect who pulls the upset.

I've always been a big fan of Marquez and of the fab 4 Featherweights I've always liked Morales and Marquez. I love Marquez style and skills but if there is anyone that could REALLY make Marquez look bad it's Floyd with his hit and move style and superior speed. And Paul Williams..sorry..I'd much RATHER see Pac-Mayweather than PWill-Mayweather. Mayweather-Pac are the same size. PWill is just a big guy. I don't think he is anything special..skillwise..

I would love to see Mayweather fight Cotto, Pac, Mosley, and Marquez.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Mar 2 2009, 11:12 PM) [snapback]426790[/snapback]
I would love to see Mayweather fight Cotto, Pac, Mosley, and Marquez.

Never happen. Those guys are way to skilled for Money to consider fighting.
torvix2000
LOL!

Floyd Mayweather will pot shot Marquez. It would be like a quicker much more powerful, much more accurate, much more everything version of Chris John. Bad style matchup for Marquez.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(lloyd mayflower @ Mar 2 2009, 01:22 PM) [snapback]426753[/snapback]
hard to keep discussion about the petty boy civilized. will try tho. I think its a non starter as floyd would obviuosly demand it at 147, which i think leaves JMM with the odds heavily stacked against him, but i think he has the talent to cause floyd much trouble and personally would love to see JMM land one of them uppercuts right on his chin

JMM called Floyd out so I'm sure Floyd would demand Marquez come up to 147lbs...
kidbazooka1
Mayweather won't fight Marquez he'll choose an easy fight for his comeback.
Sugar Q
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 2 2009, 04:45 PM) [snapback]426768[/snapback]
I don't know, I just don't see Marquez being too successful above 135. He won in impressive fashion, but was seriously hurt by Diaz and looked like he was about to go at times. He is one of the best fighters I have seen recently, and proved this by his performance against Diaz, but I just get the feeling that 135 will be his limit, I think once he moves up you will see a decline that is a bit more noticeable. I could be wrong, but that's the feeling I get right now.

Fitz my dude we saw the same fight. Marquez was ready to go against a good fighter with no punch. He wouldn't stand a chance with Floyd at any weight! Floyd would not go down to 135 that's ridiculous but it doesn't even matter he would DESTROY Marquez at any weight they fought.
JD
Is there really a public demand for this fight?

I think there is far more demand for the Mayweather - Mosley fight...and Floyd said that wasn't big enough for him, so I can't imagine that this fight would get him motivated.

Floyd handles Marquez comfortably.
D-MARV
The only fight I see Mayweather coming back for is Pacquiao-Hatton winner.

BigG,
PWill is very special skillwise. He is a non stop punching machine and he throws every punch in the book. Lacks defense but thats the only weakness I see in his game right now.
Lil-lightsout
I would bet my house that Mayweather would beat JMM fairly easily.
streetlion1
Anyone who thinks Gayweather would handle Marquez easily just cant see the wolf in the hen house. There is no reason to believe that scary boy floyd will beat an elite fighter...he has been ducking them ever since becoming a Welter!

I'll believe it when I see it....until then my moneys on Marquez
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Mar 3 2009, 12:43 AM) [snapback]426834[/snapback]
Anyone who thinks Gayweather would handle Marquez easily just cant see the wolf in the hen house. There is no reason to believe that scary boy floyd will beat an elite fighter...he has been ducking them ever since becoming a Welter!

I'll believe it when I see it....until then my moneys on Marquez

Yeah,and how many fights did he have at 147??4 fights at welterweight and 1 at junior middleweight..He fought Mitchell at 47 to get his feet wet in the division and then fought Zab then Baldo(who beat Zab)..Floyd than ends up some of the major belts at welterweight and also gets the ring magazine belt..As I remember,I thought he was supposed to have all the major belts..
streetlion1
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Mar 2 2009, 11:10 PM) [snapback]426842[/snapback]
Yeah,and how many fights did he have at 147??4 fights at welterweight and 1 at junior middleweight..He fought Mitchell at 47 to get his feet wet in the division and then fought Zab then Baldo(who beat Zab)..Floyd than ends up some of the major belts at welterweight and also gets the ring magazine belt..As I remember,I thought he was supposed to have all the major belts..

You forgot to mention ducking Cotto,Margarito, and Mosley. Saying he had no more to prove and talking retirement, making excuses and talking $$$ when asked about those fighters then turning around to fight Oscar then lil lame defense Ricky Hatton.....sorry but his resume at Welter is bullshit...4 fights or not.

You wanna call yourself the best...then you gotta prove it against the best IMO. There is a video on youtube where Margarito walks up to Gayweather while he is doing an interview asking him why he doesnt want to fight him... and he stutters..acts like hes nervous and makes excuses. If he doesnt wanna fight the REAL beasts at 147 then he should just say so instead of trying to say they arent big enough names or saying he wont get payed enough money. An 8 million dollar offer to fight Margarito....and Cotto and Mosley would bring bigger paydays than that.

Dont misunderstand me now...im not saying Gayweather wouldnt beat Marquez..im saying it definitely isnt a given and he would be in for a fight. It wouldnt suprise me if Marquez won either...just because I havent seen the scary boy prove himself against an elite fighter in years.
D-MARV
Some people HATE Mayweather so much that they sound silly. dntknw.gif

streetlion1
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Mar 3 2009, 07:44 AM) [snapback]426865[/snapback]

How does the truth sound silly? dntknw.gif

The better point is some people like him so much that they overlook his cowardice.

But your right I do hate Floyd the scary boy Gayweather...until he shows he has a set.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Mar 2 2009, 04:52 PM) [snapback]426787[/snapback]

i've always thought paul williams had just the style to beat mayweather.. long armed like castillo and he brings the pressure... and he can box if he needs to. paul would put mayweather through hell...
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Mar 3 2009, 11:13 AM) [snapback]426881[/snapback]
i've always thought paul williams had just the style to beat mayweather.. long armed like castillo and he brings the pressure... and he can box if he needs to. paul would put mayweather through hell...

You know, I've been going back and forth about a fantasy fight about Mayweather-Williams. I think like Dmarv said, if he can tune his defense I see him giving Mayweather Hell, maybe better than that.

The common error people make going into a Mayweather fight is that because of the Castillo fights, they think the best strategy is to pressure Mayweather. But that is exaclty what he wants. Because unless you are an INTELLIGENT pressure fighter like Castillo you are not going to get countered and stopped. People say you can't outbox Mayweather but Judah was doing just that in the first 5 rounds of his fight with Mayweather. Now, Judah has exceptional handspeed but he lacked a plan B, and when Mayweather started fighting him on the inside, he could not keep up. But what happens if Mayweather falls behind on the cards and can't get on the inside? Mayweather cannot stand and trade, you saw how the minute he traded against DLH he got caught flush? He's not wired for that and I think tha if Williams can use his length to effectively outwork Mayweather from a distance, he could stack up points merely by outworking Mayweather, I say outwork because he isvery difficult to nail flush.
Spyder
Maybe...but P. Will is a VERY large target for Floyd to hit.

I see Floyd boxing circles around him all day, with Paul being akwardly off-balance for the majority of the fight.
Sugar Q
QUOTE(Spyder @ Mar 3 2009, 02:14 PM) [snapback]426896[/snapback]
Maybe...but P. Will is a VERY large target for Floyd to hit.

I see Floyd boxing circles around him all day, with Paul being akwardly off-balance for the majority of the fight.

I agree. PBF would expose all the bad habits PW has even though PW is fighting at 160 now. Marquez would be a picnic. NO WAY the Marquez that almost got stopped by Diaz goes more the 7 rounds with PBF. Wouldn't be much different from the Gatti fight. PBF would have no reason to pot shot the smaller, slower, lighter-punching Marquez.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Mar 3 2009, 07:44 AM) [snapback]426865[/snapback]

Agreed. Marquez may be an elite fighter, but he's 35 and a lightweight. Floyd is younger, bigger, faster, stronger, and just as technically sound if not more. No way does Marquez beat Floyd...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Mar 3 2009, 03:29 PM) [snapback]426902[/snapback]
Agreed. Marquez may be an elite fighter, but he's 35 and a lightweight. Floyd is younger, bigger, faster, stronger, and just as technically sound if not more. No way does Marquez beat Floyd...

i agree with this comment... as good as marquez is one of the keys to this fight wold be that both are as technically sound as a fighter can be with great ring generalship... it would come down to as naysayer says "Floyd is younger, bigger, faster, stronger, and just as technically sound if not more."... same reason floyd beats pacman... except pacman is nowhere near the technical fighter as marquez... pac would probably be an easier fight for him... just my opinion.

JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Mar 3 2009, 12:49 PM) [snapback]426895[/snapback]
You know, I've been going back and forth about a fantasy fight about Mayweather-Williams. I think like Dmarv said, if he can tune his defense I see him giving Mayweather Hell, maybe better than that.

The common error people make going into a Mayweather fight is that because of the Castillo fights, they think the best strategy is to pressure Mayweather. But that is exaclty what he wants. Because unless you are an INTELLIGENT pressure fighter like Castillo you are not going to get countered and stopped. People say you can't outbox Mayweather but Judah was doing just that in the first 5 rounds of his fight with Mayweather. Now, Judah has exceptional handspeed but he lacked a plan B, and when Mayweather started fighting him on the inside, he could not keep up. But what happens if Mayweather falls behind on the cards and can't get on the inside? Mayweather cannot stand and trade, you saw how the minute he traded against DLH he got caught flush? He's not wired for that and I think tha if Williams can use his length to effectively outwork Mayweather from a distance, he could stack up points merely by outworking Mayweather, I say outwork because he isvery difficult to nail flush.

well mister mustard i dont base my feelings on that fight off just the fact that castillo put on pressure.. i base my opinion off the fact that castillo is a long rangy pressure fighter and that style gave mayweather total fits... paul williams is the same molded type fighter as a castillo only bigger stronger and for sure is punching a lot harder... and like you said while it might be hard to hit mayweather flush he would be throwing a lot of punches and basically out working lil floyd...

little side note i thought cotto could beat mayweather as well cuzz mayweather wouldnt be able to hurt him... cotto would keep coming all night long like a bull and of all fighters would have the best chance of stopping lil floyd.. just thought id add that...lol
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 3 2009, 04:19 PM) [snapback]426909[/snapback]
Much like you I give Williams the best shot in beating Mayweather, and Cotto I think could make it pretty competitive. But other than that, I see Mayweather handling everyone else.

agreed other than those two fighters noone else comes close... and to me its not even the fact of superior skills rather than they can or shall i say i think be able to use their physical attributes to get the wins...
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Mar 3 2009, 07:43 PM) [snapback]426916[/snapback]
agreed other than those two fighters noone else comes close... and to me its not even the fact of superior skills rather than they can or shall i say i think be able to use their physical attributes to get the wins...

The basic factor here is defense. Mayweather may just be the best defensive fighter alive today and because of that he will never get beat up and probably never lose a wide decision. Williams on the other hand has a mediocre defense. So far his freakish physical attributes have bailed him out, except in the Quintana fight. Actually, I think his KO in the rematch was explosively glorious but it did not show us that he whether he could avoid getting outboxed again. It's weird to criticize a guy when he has a first round KO but I think it is justifiable considering he was outboxed in the 1st one and I feel that if Quintana could outbox Williams, Mayweather might as well.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Mar 3 2009, 09:49 PM) [snapback]426922[/snapback]
The basic factor here is defense. Mayweather may just be the best defensive fighter alive today and because of that he will never get beat up and probably never lose a wide decision. Williams on the other hand has a mediocre defense. So far his freakish physical attributes have bailed him out, except in the Quintana fight. Actually, I think his KO in the rematch was explosively glorious but it did not show us that he whether he could avoid getting outboxed again. It's weird to criticize a guy when he has a first round KO but I think it is justifiable considering he was outboxed in the 1st one and I feel that if Quintana could outbox Williams, Mayweather might as well.

that is a good point... but you can also question how much of that loss was quintana and how much of it was williams own doing... from the outset of that rematch williams looked like a more focused fighter and went out there on a mission of seek and destroy... just my personal opinion but in that first loss i think williams had started to read his own press clippings of him being a killer.. the loss brought him back to reality is what i think and he became a better more focused fighter for it...
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Mar 3 2009, 11:07 PM) [snapback]426923[/snapback]
that is a good point... but you can also question how much of that loss was quintana and how much of it was williams own doing... from the outset of that rematch williams looked like a more focused fighter and went out there on a mission of seek and destroy... just my personal opinion but in that first loss i think williams had started to read his own press clippings of him being a killer.. the loss brought him back to reality is what i think and he became a better more focused fighter for it...

Also, in the Phillips fight he seemed to pay attention to more defnese.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Mar 3 2009, 05:15 PM) [snapback]426900[/snapback]
I agree. PBF would expose all the bad habits PW has even though PW is fighting at 160 now. Marquez would be a picnic. NO WAY the Marquez that almost got stopped by Diaz goes more the 7 rounds with PBF. Wouldn't be much different from the Gatti fight. PBF would have no reason to pot shot the smaller, slower, lighter-punching Marquez.

P. Williams is fighting at 154 now..Floyd has fought there once..Williams has the ability to fight at 147-160 lbs..
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Mar 3 2009, 05:15 PM) [snapback]426900[/snapback]

Are you serious Gatti like Marquez Gatti was a one dimisional b level fighter Marquez can mix his sh*t up he can brawl when needed or sit back and counter and give angles. I agree that Mayweather has the size and speed advantage and also agree that he will win the fight but Marquez is a master boxer aswell he will make things difficult for Floyd also Marquez is no fool he can adjust to any situation and if he see's something ain't working he'll make things work for himself he has shown this against the best fighter in the world and Mayweather's offense is sh*t compared to Pacqiuao's. And unlike Mayweather Marquez has the heart to stay in tough fight and comeback and whoop some ass.

And when did Marquez almost get stopped by Diaz if I remember correctly Marquez was a little stunned but never went down nor in any serious trouble of getting stopped but if that was the case in your opinion then Mayweather was also on his way out when he got dropped agianst Judah. there's a big difference between almost being stopped and being stunned also Diaz brings pressure like no one else in the game that sh*t is no piece of cake to deal with.

Like I said I know Mayweather will win this fight but by no means do i believe this will be a cat walk for him most will be suprised how much trouble Marquez will give him. But all this may be a moot point because Mayweather has been known to price himself out of dangerous fights.
Sugar Q
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Mar 4 2009, 02:23 AM) [snapback]426938[/snapback]
Are you serious Gatti like Marquez Gatti was a one dimisional b level fighter Marquez can mix his sh*t up he can brawl when needed or sit back and counter and give angles. I agree that Mayweather has the size and speed advantage and also agree that he will win the fight but Marquez is a master boxer aswell he will make things difficult for Floyd also Marquez is no fool he can adjust to any situation and if he see's something ain't working he'll make things work for himself he has shown this against the best fighter in the world and Mayweather's offense is sh*t compared to Pacqiuao's. And unlike Mayweather Marquez has the heart to stay in tough fight and comeback and whoop some ass.

And when did Marquez almost get stopped by Diaz if I remember correctly Marquez was a little stunned but never went down nor in any serious trouble of getting stopped but if that was the case in your opinion then Mayweather was also on his way out when he got dropped agianst Judah. there's a big difference between almost being stopped and being stunned also Diaz brings pressure like no one else in the game that sh*t is no piece of cake to deal with.

Like I said I know Mayweather will win this fight but by no means do i believe this will be a cat walk for him most will be suprised how much trouble Marquez will give him. But all this may be a moot point because Mayweather has been known to price himself out of dangerous fights.

Cool we'll talk when and if this fight is signed. PBF will look like a KO king against Marguez! A Lot of people thought Gatti had a chance until after the first round. The same thing will happen again. The bigger, stronger, quicker and one of the smartest, most accurate punchers in the game has no reason to potshot the smaller, face first, war veteran. smile.gif. KO within 7.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Mar 4 2009, 01:23 AM) [snapback]426938[/snapback]

i dont think mayweather struggles much with marquez....
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Mar 4 2009, 01:23 AM) [snapback]426938[/snapback]

It was around the 3rd or 4th round, IIRC. Diaz connected on some nice combos while Marquez was against the ropes. Diaz CLEARLY had Marquez shaken up....
streetlion1
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Mar 3 2009, 03:15 PM) [snapback]426900[/snapback]

Finally a couple people who I agree with me on that scenario...Hate Gayweather but I recognize skill and match-ups also I dont think much of PW....GBF chops him up all night long on route to a lopsided decision victory...but he wouldnt have the balls to fight him anyway.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Mar 4 2009, 12:57 PM) [snapback]426987[/snapback]
It was around the 3rd or 4th round, IIRC. Diaz connected on some nice combos while Marquez was against the ropes. Diaz CLEARLY had Marquez shaken up....

diaz had several moments with marquez in that fight.. actually i had a chance to talk to harold ledderman after the fight and he said the same thing i was thinking.. diaz seems to lock up after being cut... after he was cut the fight was basically over tho i will say it seemed to me the fight was shifting slowly towards marquez a round or so before the cut and i think marquez would have taken over anyway... possibly even still stopping diaz... i was rooting for diaz he is a hometown boy so to speak but marquezs class showed over the course of the fight...
JD
Listen...this is not a case of "Marquez sort of has a chance" or "Marquez has a slim chance"...

Juan Manuel Marquez has no fucking chance against Floyd Mayweaher. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. No chance. If the fight is at 147, he has less of a chyance.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(JD @ Mar 6 2009, 10:50 PM) [snapback]427286[/snapback]
Listen...this is not a case of "Marquez sort of has a chance" or "Marquez has a slim chance"...

Juan Manuel Marquez has no fucking chance against Floyd Mayweaher. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. No chance. If the fight is at 147, he has less of a chyance.

i agree jd and i will say it again i dont think any of the figthers moving up have a shot against mayweather... pac, marquez or hatton... for those that want to see him lose it will take a full fledge welterweight with considerable skills like a cotto or maybe mosely tho i am not sure moselys style troubles him tho it could.. and i've always felt paul williams could beat him...
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(JD @ Mar 6 2009, 11:50 PM) [snapback]427286[/snapback]

Like I stated earlier, Floyd wins a comfy decision. But the longer his retirement and inactivity goes, I am curious to see what he looks like in the ring if he does have a comeback fight. Will he be the same old Floyd, or will he have lost a step?
JD
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 7 2009, 02:06 AM) [snapback]427302[/snapback]
Haha. I more or less feel the same.

LOL...that was a case of posting while hammered. Nonetheless, Marquez does not have a chance against Floyd.
BigG
Never though I'd hear the day anyone would call a boxer the calibour of Marquez a tune up for someone around his weight class...Floyd wins...but Marquez is not Gatti...please...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Mar 7 2009, 05:48 AM) [snapback]427317[/snapback]
Like I stated earlier, Floyd wins a comfy decision. But the longer his retirement and inactivity goes, I am curious to see what he looks like in the ring if he does have a comeback fight. Will he be the same old Floyd, or will he have lost a step?

i agree 100% the longer floyd stays out the more harm he's doing himself.. he left in the prime of his career....
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(JD @ Mar 7 2009, 07:32 AM) [snapback]427320[/snapback]
LOL...that was a case of posting while hammered. Nonetheless, Marquez does not have a chance against Floyd.

know what jd i will say this... marquez dont have a chance in my minds neither vs. mayweather but i give him credit for at least thinking he does and genuinly wanting the fight... cuzz i dont think pac wants to share a ring with him again... i know theirs reports saying he wants that fight but i dont thik he wants to go through the hell marquez is gonna bring him.
torvix2000
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Mar 7 2009, 08:37 PM) [snapback]427343[/snapback]
cuzz i dont think pac wants to share a ring with him again... i know theirs reports saying he wants that fight but i dont thik he wants to go through the hell marquez is gonna bring him.

Lol! Too much hidden hate in here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.