Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Actually decent HW matchups on the horizon.
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BGv2.0
Before I get any BS responses about how crap the division is......I'll ask that you SAVE YOUR BREATH! We all know how bad it stinks. Despite that March and April both feature a couple of matchups that are pretty revelant to the division.

3/21 Vitali Klitschko/Juan Carlos Gomez

3/27 Peter/Chambers

4/4 Povetkin/Estrada

4/11 Arreola/McCline

You have everything you could ask for in that mix. Huge Champion material like Vitali, young up and comers like Chambers/Povetkin and Arreola, Veterans like Gomez and McCline....power punchers with Arreola and Peter and extreamly skilled guys in Gomez and Estrada and even a defensive wiz in Chambers.

These fights really should give us some very decent answers in an often questionable division.

For example who is the more deserving up and comer in Povetkin and Estrada, how will Arreola deal with a decently skilled extreamly tall fighter in McCline. Will speed and defense be enough to stop a possibly over the hill Vitali?

These are all interesting questions.

This is how I see them playing out.

Klit/Gomez. I have been waiting for YEARS for somebody to hopefully wipe Gomez out of the rankings, the only HW record by former lighter fighter more laughable than Gomez is that of James Toney. Barring a line of coke leading to the ring....I don't see Gomez getting out of this fight without either being KOd or beaten up for 12 long rounds. His speed and pure skill (although at his age I really question all of that) will not be enough to get past the size advantage Vitali has....despite Vitali's age.
In the end I think Vitali wins via late stoppage around 9/10.

Peter/Chambers. An interesting fight....that is really tough to call IMHO. I want to give Chambers the edge because skill for skill and height for height....he should be able to dance circles around Peter.....BUT...then again I'm sure Peter is eager to make people forget his last UGLY outing with Vitali....and I cannot help but think about Byrd/Ibiabutchi from years past. I can't call this fight so I call it a toss up.

Povetkin/Estrada. Should be a very interesting fight between two very skilled fighters. I think that Estrada most likely packs a much heavier punch than Chambers...and even though he won the fight, Povetkin suffered some damage due to the contant pitter pats that Chambers put on him...so I think Estrada has the advantage. Kudos to both these guys for fighting one abother. This fight is in Germany so Estrada will have to INSURE he tosses everything but the kitchen sink to get the win...if it's even close, the nod will go to Povetkin. I think it's time for the Povetkin ride to end for the time being....I think Estrada is extreamly hungry and his activity has been spectacular here of late. I see a decesion either UD or SD win for Estrada in Germany.

Arreola/McCline. I have not been impressed with Arreola in any way shape or form. Although I give him all the credit in the world for taking this fight...because it is a good opponent when getting prepared for either Klitchko...BUT if he shows up fat (which I fully expect him to) I think he looses to McCline. There is however an X-factor in this fight and that is...if McCline comes in ready to shit himself...as he has done before numerous times. However, in his last few fights that aspect seems to be gone, he took it to both Valuev and Peter. I don't think McCline will fight down to his opponent the way Walker did. And, he has taken the punches of Wlad and Peter, both of which I think punch harder or on the same level as Arreola, so I don't see Arreola KOing him. Arreola was huffing and puffing by the second round with his last opponent...so if this goes longer...I look for that to be a huge factor. I call McCline to win either via stoppage or UD. HOWEVER, if he come sin shitting himself I call it a UD win for the tit man.

What are your thoughts?
JD
Vitali by late stoppage, though it will be competitive.

Peter - Chambers I just cannot get a read on yet. Not sure.

Povetkin easy. I'm just not sure if Povetkin stops him, or Estrada retreats enough to go the distance.

Arreola over McCline, though this should be a good test.
BigG
Vitali will beat Gomez but could look bad and sloppy in the fight. Still, it will be a beatdown...TKO round 8.

Chambers will outbox Peter to a UD.

Povketin by decision especially if its in Germany.

Not sure who will win Arreola vs. McCline.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Mar 2 2009, 04:58 PM) [snapback]426757[/snapback]
Arreola/McCline. I have not been impressed with Arreola in any way shape or form. Although I give him all the credit in the world for taking this fight...because it is a good opponent when getting prepared for either Klitchko...BUT if he shows up fat (which I fully expect him to) I think he looses to McCline. There is however an X-factor in this fight and that is...if McCline comes in ready to shit himself...as he has done before numerous times. However, in his last few fights that aspect seems to be gone, he took it to both Valuev and Peter. I don't think McCline will fight down to his opponent the way Walker did. And, he has taken the punches of Wlad and Peter, both of which I think punch harder or on the same level as Arreola, so I don't see Arreola KOing him. Arreola was huffing and puffing by the second round with his last opponent...so if this goes longer...I look for that to be a huge factor. I call McCline to win either via stoppage or UD. HOWEVER, if he come sin shitting himself I call it a UD win for the tit man.

What are your thoughts?

I think you are insane to even think Arreola punches as hard or on the level of Wlad..Arreola does not have one punch power,Wlad does..One good right hand has put away top contenders..He made Chris Byrd eat shit in their second fight with one right hand,Calvin Brock was a huge KO from one straight right,and also has put down Ray Mercer by 2 left hooks and destroyed Ray Austin(not a contender in my opinion) with some left hooks too without throwing 1 right hand..Tony Thompson also got KO'd by one right hand even though it was pretty late in the fight..Arreola only can KO someone from a sloppy combo that he throws..Someone name 1 guy he has put down from ONE punch(it can be set up off the jab)??Wlad likes to let the KO come now these days compared to how he was before..Arreola only wants to KO someone and is very impatient about it..If Arreola wanted to hit harder,he would lose some weight or trim his body up..Fat does not help punching power..If he were in shape at 250 he would be hitting harder than he does at a fat 250..

McCline by mid-round KO
BGv2.0
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Mar 2 2009, 05:47 PM) [snapback]426769[/snapback]
I think you are insane to even think Arreola punches as hard or on the level of Wlad..Arreola does not have one punch power,Wlad does..One good right hand has put away top contenders..He made Chris Byrd eat shit in their second fight with one right hand,Calvin Brock was a huge KO from one straight right,and also has put down Ray Mercer by 2 left hooks and destroyed Ray Austin(not a contender in my opinion) with some left hooks too without throwing 1 right hand..Tony Thompson also got KO'd by one right hand even though it was pretty late in the fight..Arreola only can KO someone from a sloppy combo that he throws..Someone name 1 guy he has put down from ONE punch(it can be set up off the jab)??Wlad likes to let the KO come now these days compared to how he was before..Arreola only wants to KO someone and is very impatient about it..If Arreola wanted to hit harder,he would lose some weight or trim his body up..Fat does not help punching power..If he were in shape at 250 he would be hitting harder than he does at a fat 250..

McCline by mid-round KO

Neither does Wlad...which is why I put them on the same level. You and I have a very different ideas on what constitutes "one-punch power". All of those examples of Wlad you gave come from a build up of damage..not one single punch.

Byrd, Brock, Mercer and Thompson all made it to the late rounds....

That is not "one punch power" as I see it. Guys being blased out in the first round or two with lethal combos or a single bomb...THAT to me is one punch power. Tyson, Foreman...they had one punch power.

As a matter of fact, I have never seen the Klits as huge power punchers....they are beasts as far as the damage they inflict over a sustained attack...but most decently skilled fighters can go to the later rounds with them.

Big Slim Sweet
Vitali by 8 round ring moppage. Gomez is coming for his last big check and an ass-whuppin.

Peter-Chambers is too close to call. Chambers does fight similar to James Toney, and Peter had success against him. I'm sure that's what Peter's people were thinking. I'll go against the grain here and say Peter by close decision. Chambers just doesn't have heavyweight strength.

Povetkin I like to win a wide UD over Estrada, though I have to admit I've never seen Estrada fight. Going more on his shakey reputation and figuring he gets outworked all night long. Plus it's in Germany so...you know.

Arreola-McCline figures to be the most fun of the four. I like McCline to win this one by decision after Arreola gasses himself swinging for the fences the first three rounds.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Mar 2 2009, 06:06 PM) [snapback]426774[/snapback]
Neither does Wlad...which is why I put them on the same level. You and I have a very different ideas on what constitutes "one-punch power". All of those examples of Wlad you gave come from a build up of damage..not one single punch.

Byrd, Brock, Mercer and Thompson all made it to the late rounds....

That is not "one punch power" as I see it. Guys being blased out in the first round or two with lethal combos or a single bomb...THAT to me is one punch power. Tyson, Foreman...they had one punch power.

As a matter of fact, I have never seen the Klits as huge power punchers....they are beasts as far as the damage they inflict over a sustained attack...but most decently skilled fighters can go to the later rounds with them.

I know what you are saying and I was going to add that stuff in but didn't because I didn't feel the need to explain that stuff..The built up damage is a factor..Yet,he shows his one punch power later and never early in a fight anymore..Peter has more one punch power than Arreola too..The Klitchkos like to throw light punches early and dominate/perserve energy and than drop the bombs later..I think we do have very similar ideas when it comes to heavyweight boxing in general and even on power but I didn't explain it as much as I should have..
STEVENSKI
This just confirms why I willnot watch the heavyweights anymore. This junk constitutes "quality" fights.
Lil-lightsout
I expect Klit to win by TKO. Have not seen Gomez fight in years, and even then I was not impressed with him at all.

Seen Chambers only once or twice, if Peter comes ready and in shape, he will eventually bomb him out of there.

Povetkin seems pretty solid to me have seeing him fight a few times, and Estrada has been OK so far. Give me Povetkin by decision.

Arreola vs. McCline should be a fun fight to watch. This fight all depends which Jameel shows up, we already know what Arreola is coming to the ring. I guess I will go with Arreola cause he is younger and fresher, Jameel does not like to win the big fights. Just going by past experiences, it is hard to pick McCline.

Bgv2.0- Sorry man, but Toney has accomplished way more at Heavyweight then that farce Gomez. Heck, the Toney that demolished Holyfield would have beat all 8 of these heavyweights. That includes Quitscko, who was embarrassed by Byrd when he quit. A fat Toney argueably beat Peter the first time around. And a really fat out of shape Toney embarrassed Ruiz. I agree Toney did waste alot by being so pathetically fat in his heavyweight fights, but he was not as bad as you make him out to be. Anyways, I know I am not going to change your view, and this topic has been beat to death already.

Oh, atleast we got some heavyweight fights to watch. They seem like they will be decent enough.
D-MARV
The only fight that matters at heavyweight right now is Vitali Klitschko Vs. Wladimir Klitschko!

Chris Arreola Vs David Haye on the undercard.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Mar 3 2009, 08:53 AM) [snapback]426868[/snapback]
The only fight that matters at heavyweight right now is Vitali Klitschko Vs. Wladimir Klitschko!

That fight would be nice to see, but it ain't ever happening!
JLUVBABY
i think its interesting to see that espn is showing most if not all these fights... ESPN... maybe the promoters is starting to catch on...
Spyder
Whatever happened to the David Haye-Vitali fight?
oozemcbuck
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Mar 2 2009, 03:58 PM) [snapback]426757[/snapback]
Before I get any BS responses about how crap the division is......I'll ask that you SAVE YOUR BREATH! We all know how bad it stinks. Despite that March and April both feature a couple of matchups that are pretty revelant to the division.

3/21 Vitali Klitschko/Juan Carlos Gomez

3/27 Peter/Chambers

4/4 Povetkin/Estrada

4/11 Arreola/McCline
You have everything you could ask for in that mix. Huge Champion material like Vitali, young up and comers like Chambers/Povetkin and Arreola, Veterans like Gomez and McCline....power punchers with Arreola and Peter and extreamly skilled guys in Gomez and Estrada and even a defensive wiz in Chambers.

These fights really should give us some very decent answers in an often questionable division.
For example who is the more deserving up and comer in Povetkin and Estrada, how will Arreola deal with a decently skilled extreamly tall fighter in McCline. Will speed and defense be enough to stop a possibly over the hill Vitali?

These are all interesting questions.

This is how I see them playing out.

Klit/Gomez. I have been waiting for YEARS for somebody to hopefully wipe Gomez out of the rankings, the only HW record by former lighter fighter more laughable than Gomez is that of James Toney. Barring a line of coke leading to the ring....I don't see Gomez getting out of this fight without either being KOd or beaten up for 12 long rounds. His speed and pure skill (although at his age I really question all of that) will not be enough to get past the size advantage Vitali has....despite Vitali's age.
In the end I think Vitali wins via late stoppage around 9/10.

Peter/Chambers. An interesting fight....that is really tough to call IMHO. I want to give Chambers the edge because skill for skill and height for height....he should be able to dance circles around Peter.....BUT...then again I'm sure Peter is eager to make people forget his last UGLY outing with Vitali....and I cannot help but think about Byrd/Ibiabutchi from years past. I can't call this fight so I call it a toss up.

Povetkin/Estrada. Should be a very interesting fight between two very skilled fighters. I think that Estrada most likely packs a much heavier punch than Chambers...and even though he won the fight, Povetkin suffered some damage due to the contant pitter pats that Chambers put on him...so I think Estrada has the advantage. Kudos to both these guys for fighting one abother. This fight is in Germany so Estrada will have to INSURE he tosses everything but the kitchen sink to get the win...if it's even close, the nod will go to Povetkin. I think it's time for the Povetkin ride to end for the time being....I think Estrada is extreamly hungry and his activity has been spectacular here of late. I see a decesion either UD or SD win for Estrada in Germany.

What are your thoughts?

well, all i see is 3 tune up/stay busy fights( vitali, povetkin, arreola) and 1 bounce back fight (peter).

and estrada IS extremely hungry, he just bought a couple of #2's and a #5 at McD's....
JLUVBABY
peter might lose to chambers... he's not the beast he was a few years ago... he seems to have believed the hype before he actually had it... to me chambers is a poor mans james toney with probably better reflexes because of age and he might give peter fits...

i've posted in another thread that i wouldnt be surprised if estrada gives povetkin problems as well... povetkin is still green and for sure not ready for either klit...

vitali should destroy gomez... if yanqui diaz can get him out of there so will vitali...

aerrola mccline to me will be determined on which jameel mccline shows up... if a determined mccline shows up then i think it will answer questions as to what the deal is with aerrola... mccline at his best is a bigger version of walker and the styles can be similiar... i hope he shows up ready to fight cuzz it will tell if aerrola is indeed the goods.. if he shows up in shape an ready to do his thing and chris looks good i give arreola a shot against wlad... if areola's chin is what i think it is he will give wlad all kinds of hell...
The Original MrFactor
Vitali/Gomez wont happen... If it does, Vitali by 7th rnd KO. He's too big and will keep the smallish, Byrd-like Gomez at bay.

Chambers will stop Peter. He will keep a jab in Peter's face and fustrate the hell out of him. The difference between James Toney and Eddie Chambers is that Chambers is bigger, younger and he fights bigger and better from a distance than Toney. I dont think Peter has a chance here. David Haye's mouth would get shut if he faced Eddie Chambers. Eddie chambers is the BEST american heavyweight right now. I think he's also the best of the "little" heavyweights.

Povetkin/Estrada. Dont really know much about Estrada. I like Povetkins style. He stays in your chest and just keeps punching. he's relentless. Would love to have seen him against the Holyfield that fought Michael Dokes. Honestly, since i dont know much about Estrada, i dont know who to pick here.

In Arreola/McCline.... It depends on which McCline shows up. If its the one that cringes whenever his opponent looks at him, then Arreola will have an easy night because mcCline will be reluctant to engage. If the McCline that showed up against Peter shws up, then Arreola will have a slightly more difficult time. I'm picking Arreola to stop McCline in 9.

Anybody want to see Arreola/Peters?? I'd just love to see these two guys go at it in the ring. Rock 'em Sock 'em robots...
JLUVBABY
[quote name='The Original MrFactor' date='Mar 3 2009, 04:00 PM' post='426907']
Vitali/Gomez wont happen... If it does, Vitali by 7th rnd KO. He's too big and will keep the smallish, Byrd-like Gomez at bay.

what makes you think the fight is not happening?.. its signed and espn will telecast...
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Mar 3 2009, 07:40 PM) [snapback]426915[/snapback]
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Mar 3 2009, 04:00 PM) [snapback]426907[/snapback]

what makes you think the fight is not happening?.. its signed and espn will telecast...

Vitali's history.
BGv2.0
I'm putting this right in the middle of this thread...because I think it's funny as hell and I can hijack my own thread!

streetlion1
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Mar 3 2009, 07:53 AM) [snapback]426868[/snapback]

Chris Arreola Vs David Haye on the undercard.

That sounds really good!

But I'd rather see Arreola fight Peter. and Haye fight Chambers
JLUVBABY
as sorry as the group is right now the heavyweights are finally starting to show some life....lol... they should have been fighting each other like they are triing to do now...
Lil-lightsout
I actually miss seeing decent heavyweight fights, so to be honest I am looking forward to see these fights. Hopefully we get some decent fights out of them. Maybe with all the hard training by Arreola, he will lose his man tits by fight time?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.