Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Watched on TV... Cotto vs Pacquiao next!!!
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
torvix2000
If Pacquiao gets past Hatton, then Arum will pit him against Cotto. This was what Arum said in the interview. I have a tv tuner card. I wasn't able to record the interview, though.
torvix2000
Also, Pacquiao said in a previous interview (about 3 days ago) that he's retiring after two more fights. So, he has 3 more fights left including Hatton.
streetlion1
I like Pacman...and I always want the best to fight the best...BUT...he is setting himself up to get smashed by Cotto. Ive heard Cotto and Mosley....he would get smashed by both!!

At least he has the nuts to fight them though...unlike that other paper p4p gayweather!
Sugar Q
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Mar 4 2009, 08:39 AM) [snapback]426963[/snapback]
I like Pacman...and I always want the best to fight the best...BUT...he is setting himself up to get smashed by Cotto. Ive heard Cotto and Mosley....he would get smashed by both!!

At least he has the nuts to fight them though...unlike that other paper p4p gayweather!

Mayweather didnt fight Cotto for the same reason we're not seeing Cotto/Mosley 2. BOB ARUM! Aint nobody playing games with BA. And we all know PBF challenged Mosley twice and Shane turned him down both times. Im a HUGE Mosley fan but Shane turned him down twice and Cotto turned him down too (remember he wasn't ready according to his camp). So of course we're gonna see the Pacman and Cotto (if and thats a BIG IF he gets past Hatton) because that's a win/win for Bob Arum.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Mar 4 2009, 10:55 AM) [snapback]426967[/snapback]
Mayweather didnt fight Cotto for the same reason we're not seeing Cotto/Mosley 2. BOB ARUM! Aint nobody playing games with BA. And we all know PBF challenged Mosley twice and Shane turned him down both times. Im a HUGE Mosley fan but Shane turned him down twice and Cotto turned him down too (remember he wasn't ready according to his camp). So of course we're gonna see the Pacman and Cotto (if and thats a BIG IF he gets past Hatton) because that's a win/win for Bob Arum.

You keep saying Shane turned Mayweather down twice but I don't see it like that. To me, PBF's challenge in 2006 was fake. Shane had already said he was taking the rest of the year off to be with family. Then Floyd comes in trying to shame him into that November date.

And when is the other time you're talking about?
torvix2000
This "turning down" thing is BS. Look, Hatton has turned down Pacquiao's offer. And Pacquiao turned down Hatton's offer. No matter how many turning downs they did, the fight still got made.

So what if Cotto turned Mayweather down. So what if Mosley turned him down. This is boxing. You get turned down today, then perhaps you could offer some time again in the future and the one who turned down may want to accept. That's gay for Mayweather to say he was turned down.

What the heck, even Marquez turned down Pacquiao's rematch when Pacquiao was already training for that rematch. He went to Indonesia, instead. But look, the rematch got made.

If Mayweather really did want the fight, then it would have gotten made no matter what. LOL! Everybody's turning him down?

Cotto may just beat Pacquiao to death and Mayweather will be there watching... and keep saying "OH how much money did I lose for beating Pacquiao". Ah, of course. He's retired.
JLUVBABY
i doubt this fight ever happens... pac takes a bigger one sided beating vs. cotto then he would vs. mayweather... and he gets more money for the mayweather fight i am sure as well.. money, i mean buisness says if the fight can be made pac fights mayweather... but then again its gonna be a mute point after may 2nd cuzz pacs not gonna get past hatton.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(torvix2000 @ Mar 4 2009, 11:36 AM) [snapback]426972[/snapback]
This "turning down" thing is BS. Look, Hatton has turned down Pacquiao's offer. And Pacquiao turned down Hatton's offer. No matter how many turning downs they did, the fight still got made.

So what if Cotto turned Mayweather down. So what if Mosley turned him down. This is boxing. You get turned down today, then perhaps you could offer some time again in the future and the one who turned down may want to accept. That's gay for Mayweather to say he was turned down.

What the heck, even Marquez turned down Pacquiao's rematch when Pacquiao was already training for that rematch. He went to Indonesia, instead. But look, the rematch got made.

If Mayweather really did want the fight, then it would have gotten made no matter what. LOL! Everybody's turning him down?

Cotto may just beat Pacquiao to death and Mayweather will be there watching... and keep saying "OH how much money did I lose for beating Pacquiao". Ah, of course. He's retired.

Excellent points. Almost every offer gets turned down initially. And these "offers" Shane and Cotto turned down, were they actual dollar amounts in writing? Or just Floyd saying come on let's do this?
Fitz
Pacquiao is a beast and all, but he needs to be smashed back into reality soon.
STEVENSKI
I give him a good chance against Cotto. You are all acting like Cotto is some kind of beast. Pac is far far far quicker & has at least equal skill to Cotto. Cotto may have more power but can he catch Pac?
streetlion1
Cotto is a beast! It took a cheater like margarito to beat him....and this is shoulda-coulda-woulda talk but had Cotto utilized the strategy against Marg that Mosley did..he wouldve K.O.d Marg too.

Pacman is quick and has a little pop but he is still not that technically sound of a fighter...he does NOT match up to Cotto skill wise...and No way does he stand up under Cottos power...also I feel Cottos speed and jab have always been under-rated.

To get back on the Gayweather issue....who turned who down initially has nothing to do with it....the last I heard a while back Mosley was on the internet saying lil floyd was growing feathers....Gayweather has ran and made excuses for not fighting multiple people...and that is indisputable!
Fitz
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Mar 5 2009, 09:16 AM) [snapback]427002[/snapback]
I give him a good chance against Cotto. You are all acting like Cotto is some kind of beast. Pac is far far far quicker & has at least equal skill to Cotto. Cotto may have more power but can he catch Pac?

I don't think the skill is equal at all. No question in my mind that Cotto is a more skilful fighter than Pacquiao. Pacquaio is much quicker though.
STEVENSKI
Some of you guys are acting like Cotto is Ray Robinson. The dude has serious flaws & a guy with the speed & laser like left of Pac can exploit those.

I am not saying that Pac is all that & Cotto can't win but it would be a 50/50 fight unless Cotto resorted to his usual Puto Rican tactics of low blows in abundance.
Fitz
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Mar 5 2009, 09:42 AM) [snapback]427006[/snapback]
Some of you guys are acting like Cotto is Ray Robinson. The dude has serious flaws & a guy with the speed & laser like left of Pac can exploit those.

I am not saying that Pac is all that & Cotto can't win but it would be a 50/50 fight unless Cotto resorted to his usual Puto Rican tactics of low blows in abundance.

No, it's actually that Pacquiao isn't the most skilled fighter, rather than Cotto being Ray Robinson. Pacquiao has come a long way and improved, he does what he does extremely well. Cotto has better defense, has a better punching technique and has a wider range of punches. I don't know where Pacquiao is better than Cotto in the skill department other than speed, but that's more of a gift.
streetlion1
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 4 2009, 04:47 PM) [snapback]427007[/snapback]
No, it's actually that Pacquiao isn't the most skilled fighter, rather than Cotto being Ray Robinson. Pacquiao has come a long way and improved, he does what he does extremely well. Cotto has better defense, has a better punching technique and has a wider range of punches. I don't know where Pacquiao is better than Cotto in the skill department other than speed, but that's more of a gift.

To piggyback on that its not in Pacmans style to use his speed and run which is what he would have to do to have a chance against Cotto. He is an in and out kinda fighter who likes to trade......and no way does he last trading against Cotto.

Cotto has always been under rated...the Mosley fight shouldve shown people something....he isnt just that bull who likes to come forward and hammer the body...he is a very skilled all around fighter who used the wrong strategy and just ran outta gas against Marg.
and the NEW
Yeh agree Stevenski, the Cotto hype train still looks alive and well.

I had Mosley beating him and he just got KTFO. He has looked very shaky in other fights too.

Just looked through a thread in the Classic section - Margarito V Napoles!!!!! ROLFMAO! It's how the hype trains build, beyong belief!

Excellent fighter is Cotto, but far from unbeatable. If Pac could beat Hatton, then he shows he can handle pressure and strength and Cotto may not be out of reach.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Mar 4 2009, 11:06 PM) [snapback]427012[/snapback]
To piggyback on that its not in Pacmans style to use his speed and run which is what he would have to do to have a chance against Cotto. He is an in and out kinda fighter who likes to trade......and no way does he last trading against Cotto.

Cotto has always been under rated...the Mosley fight shouldve shown people something....he isnt just that bull who likes to come forward and hammer the body...he is a very skilled all around fighter who used the wrong strategy and just ran outta gas against Marg.

Pac is very good at getting in & out & his footwork is excellent. Cotto needs to be set to throw & Pac coule use the angles to get in & out. Speed kills & Pac has a hell of a lot more speed than Cotto.
streetlion1
laugh.gif No way Hatton can be compared to Cotto. Sorry but its just a fact Cotto is much more skilled than Hatton and Pacman....not that hes unbeatable but those two just dont have the skill to beat him.

Hatton brings pressure but its not the same kind of pressure...he has great foot-speed and he lkes to get in and maul you but he doesnt possess the technical ability to go along with it.

I think Hatton-Pacman is a war until Hatton eventually gets dropped because their styles and size make it inevitable....but Cotto is a whole different type of animal all together.
streetlion1
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Mar 4 2009, 05:45 PM) [snapback]427025[/snapback]
Pac is very good at getting in & out & his footwork is excellent. Cotto needs to be set to throw & Pac coule use the angles to get in & out. Speed kills & Pac has a hell of a lot more speed than Cotto.

Are we seeing the same Cotto? He isnt a flat foot fighter who needs to be set to throw....speed kills but so does skill and Cottos speed may not be what Pacman has but it isnt bad either. Mosley has some of the fastest hands in he sport and even he said he was definitely surprised by Cottos speed as well as his jab. Pacman has speed but he isnt hard to find in that ring(unless your an old and drained DLH) because of the style he uses it with.

I just dont see Pacman or Hatton for that matter lasting long against a Cotto or a Mosley.
STEVENSKI
Not talking about handspeed (Pac is a lot quicker than Mosley) but overall speed. For Cotto to throw damaging punches he needs to be set & compared to Pac he is flatfooted.

I am not saying that Cotto is not a good fighter by any stretch I am just saying that Pac has the tools to put a whoopin on his head.
Fitz
QUOTE(and the NEW @ Mar 5 2009, 10:29 AM) [snapback]427018[/snapback]
Yeh agree Stevenski, the Cotto hype train still looks alive and well.

I had Mosley beating him and he just got KTFO. He has looked very shaky in other fights too.

Just looked through a thread in the Classic section - Margarito V Napoles!!!!! ROLFMAO! It's how the hype trains build, beyong belief!

Excellent fighter is Cotto, but far from unbeatable. If Pac could beat Hatton, then he shows he can handle pressure and strength and Cotto may not be out of reach.

Cotto hype train? All I said and anyone said that Cotto is a more skilled fighter than Pacquiao. Do you not agree? Do you think Manny punches better (technically), has better defence? Better footwork?
That's all that was said, I don't know how or where Manny os more skilled than Cotto as a fighter.
I had Cotto beating Mosley. I also disagree about Pacquiao beating Hatton meaning he could do the same to Cotto. I think Cotto are vastly different, especially since Hatton can't fight well at 147, and Cotto seems to be a proven and legit welter. Cotto is much bigger and stronger than Hatton.
Fitz
Yeah, gotta admit Stevenski, not sure about Cotto being a flat footed fighter. Also Pacquiao's footwork isn't excellent, to me it's average, just like Hatton. They seem to only be quick moving in and out of the killzone, but moving around the ring laterally, they are not so good. Pacquiao is only quick jumping in and out.
and the NEW
Sorry, was not referring to you in particular Fitz, I am referring to the "Cotto is a beast" part.

As Stevenski said, lateral movement and speed can cause for HUGE troubles if applied right.

Cotto is a good boxer, but far from great and the kind who would make trouble for Pac from the outside. He has to come in and pressure Pac. Which, his strength would not be overly different to Hatton (not that I even think Pac will beat Hatton, but it's definately a possibility).

I personally, other than heart, power, and some ok skills, don't think Cotto is anything to write home about. He throws his punches technically, but his defence is not great. You don't need to be a textbook boxer to be good either. Many of the best boxers were not and threw all sorts of unconventional punches.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 5 2009, 12:09 AM) [snapback]427030[/snapback]
Cotto hype train? All I said and anyone said that Cotto is a more skilled fighter than Pacquiao. Do you not agree? Do you think Manny punches better (technically), has better defence? Better footwork?
That's all that was said, I don't know how or where Manny os more skilled than Cotto as a fighter.

I had Cotto beating Mosley. I also disagree about Pacquiao beating Hatton meaning he could do the same to Cotto. I think Cotto are vastly different, especially since Hatton can't fight well at 147, and Cotto seems to be a proven and legit welter. Cotto is much bigger and stronger than Hatton.

There is a bit of a hype train behind Cotto right now. I have never said you are a passenger though & I don't think anyone else is saying that either.

IMO Pac does have better footwork than Cotto & his straight left is a better punch than anything Cotto has in his arsenal.
Fitz
QUOTE(and the NEW @ Mar 5 2009, 11:27 AM) [snapback]427035[/snapback]
I personally, other than heart, power, and some ok skills, don't think Cotto is anything to write home about. He throws his punches technically, but his defence is not great. You don't need to be a textbook boxer to be good either. Many of the best boxers were not and threw all sorts of unconventional punches.

I agree completely with the bold part, I have nothing against fighters who are not technically correct, some are great with what they do. I was more arguing that skill wise, Cotto is better than Pacquiao.
I too think Cotto is beatable and thought so before he lost, but I think he is actually a solid fighter that can box and fight. I was critical on Cotto early, but came around to him and began to appreciate him late, especially in the Mosley fight.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 5 2009, 12:25 AM) [snapback]427034[/snapback]
Yeah, gotta admit Stevenski, not sure about Cotto being a flat footed fighter. Also Pacquiao's footwork isn't excellent, to me it's average, just like Hatton. They seem to only be quick moving in and out of the killzone, but moving around the ring laterally, they are not so good. Pacquiao is only quick jumping in and out.

When I say flat footed I mean Cotto is not as fast as Pac on his feet & in order to throw his best punches he must be set & stationary digging his toes in. That means he is imobile for a second & a fighter who is as fast getting in & out of the killzone as Pac is could capitalise on it landing that bazooka like left.

Pac has quite adequate lateral movement & his use of angles is quite impressive. You do not need to move like PBF to use lateral movement you just need to shift 1/2 a step to slip a punch & your angle has changed leading you to landing a counter shot. Pac is very very good at doing that.

Lets not pretend Cotto is remotely as skilled as Marquez who is a master boxer & Pac "beat" him twice.
BigG
Is who is has the better footwork really being discussed? LOL..Pac can move good now. He is used to be sloppy and all over the place but now he moves good as shown in the Diaz and DLH fights. Cotto is a bit more technical than Pac and arguably fights better backing up because he is a better counter puncher. Either way it doesn't matter....

Speed is obviously in Pacquiao's favor but Cotto does NOT have slow hands. See the Quintana fights, Mosley fight, Judah fight, Margarito fight....Cotto also has a great and powerful jab. I'll just say that Cotto is as fast as JMM and Morales at least.

I think Cotto-Pacquiao will be a very competitive fight.

And ATM,

May I ask just what fight you were watching scoring Cotto-Mosley for Mosley? Is it becuase of Mosley's "late rally" in which he had Cotto backing up in the late rounds? Cotto was actually landing alot of clean punches in rounds 10 and 11 and those were very close rounds. Cotto won most of the middle early and middle rounds.
Fitz
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Mar 5 2009, 11:35 AM) [snapback]427038[/snapback]
There is a bit of a hype train behind Cotto right now. I have never said you are a passenger though & I don't think anyone else is saying that either.

IMO Pac does have better footwork than Cotto & his straight left is a better punch than anything Cotto has in his arsenal.

Yeah I know you weren't implying me, it was more of a hype train period. I didn't think the hype train was all that big after his loss to Margarito, I think Cotto is generally rated pretty fairly and for what he is. Just a pretty good fighter for today.
I don't generally think Pacquiao's footwork is better, I just think it's quicker and like I said Pacquiao seems to move in and out (he has similar footwork to Hatton), but moving side to side, I don't think it's all that great.
You are right about Pacquiao's straight being good, but you are focusing on one thing. What about how Cotto throws his hooks, and his body punching smashes the body work Pacquiao does also.
and the NEW
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Mar 5 2009, 12:44 AM) [snapback]427042[/snapback]
May I ask just what fight you were watching scoring Cotto-Mosley for Mosley? Is it becuase of Mosley's "late rally" in which he had Cotto backing up in the late rounds? Cotto was actually landing alot of clean punches in rounds 10 and 11 and those were very close rounds. Cotto won most of the middle early and middle rounds.

To be honest, I only watched it live, so I could well have it differently watching it closely on replay. One of my most respected boxing friends who scores very unbias also had Mosley winning at the time, and another guy who was cheering Cotto all night had it for Mosley.

Then again BigG, unfortunately, I disagree with nearly 100% of your scoring decisions, Harold is probably the closest thing I have seen to an unbias scorer but even Harold seems to be loosing it a bit lately.

Oh and don't take that personally, I like your breakdown of fights before they happen, we obviously just see a fight unfolding completely differently when it actually does unfold.
and the NEW
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Mar 5 2009, 12:43 AM) [snapback]427041[/snapback]
Pac has quite adequate lateral movement & his use of angles is quite impressive. You do not need to move like PBF to use lateral movement you just need to shift 1/2 a step to slip a punch & your angle has changed leading you to landing a counter shot. Pac is very very good at doing that.

Lets not pretend Cotto is remotely as skilled as Marquez who is a master boxer & Pac "beat" him twice.

Agree completely with this.

Still WAY too early to judge Pac at Welter for me, but Cotto is not exactly the kind of fighter you would call a beast who would be guaranteed to KO Pac or the kind who is a master technician who would pick him apart.
BigG
I don't know Fitz I'd just say they both know how to move around..except Cotto is a bit more techincally sound (IMO) and Pac has the superhuman speed and alot of energy.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 5 2009, 12:45 AM) [snapback]427043[/snapback]
You are right about Pacquiao's straight being good, but you are focusing on one thing. What about how Cotto throws his hooks, and his body punching smashes the body work Pacquiao does also.

Cotto has a better arsenal of punches & throws with quite good technique. It is just none of his punches are nearly as good as Pac's straight left.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 5 2009, 01:40 AM) [snapback]427067[/snapback]
You keep going staright to Pacquiao's straight left and only his straight left. That just doesn't sound like a guy who is more skilled than Cotto. Zab Judah's uppercut is also better than a lot of other fighters punchers also.

I don't recall me saying Pac was more "skilled" than Cotto but I may have said he is a better fighter which is obvious to me at least. His best punch is better than anything Cotto has.

About his straight left the reason it gets talked about is because it is by far his best punch & his most damaging one. He also has a goot jab & hook but they ar eeclipsed by his left because it is his true money punch. Cotto has a money punch too & that is the shot to the balls.

Lets not go with a mental midget like Judah as you have to be able to consistantly LAND a punch for it to be considered great. Judah is more a flail & pray type these days & has been for some time.
and the NEW
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 5 2009, 01:51 AM) [snapback]427072[/snapback]
I agree that Cotto is much more technically sound, Pacquiao moves around like Hatton, jumping around like a little energizer bunny. They hop in and out of the killzone pretty good (though Hatton does it face first which sucks), other than that. The footwork hasn't really impressed me. I just think people are mistaking foot speed and footwork as the same. I think they have good foot speed, not sure I would go on about how great the foot work is though.

I couldn't compare Pac with Hatton. Hatton ties up on the inside, throws far shorter punches and doesn't use any kind of lateral movement to confuse an opponent or make them miss. No comparison.

As far as footwork, what is the point of Cotto having 'technically better' footwork? The entire point of this, is it creates balance. But Pac has balance too, and moves far faster with his feet, both in and out and side to side. No comparison in the movement between the two, Pac has him hands down.

Cottos advantages are strength and power at this weight as well as some good technique on his punches which should allow him to tag Pac at times. Someone mentioned the jab before (which will be a huge weapon considering he is taller than Pac too so it should come down over the top of the Pac jab, which is what you need to do to a southpaw), and his hands are held high which should contain some of the Pac flurries and left hand.

But no real point debating this fight, until we see the Hatton outcome.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Mar 4 2009, 06:16 PM) [snapback]427002[/snapback]

Agreed..I like both guys but I had a feeling people would be pickin Cotto real quick..I think it'd be a great fight..Pac-man is used to seeing really fast guys and he would be able to make Cotto look not as sharp as we're used to seeing..I think Cotto would do a lot of missing..I'd like to see how Pac-man took Cotto's punch though..He wouldn't be anywhere near as hittable as guys Cotto is used to so it'd be a real good matchup..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Mar 4 2009, 07:45 PM) [snapback]427025[/snapback]

His new footwork with more balanced mixed in is good..He definitely still lacks balance..Footwork is based off of balance..If you're balance isn't there,you can't have good footwork..

I think Mosley beat Cotto when they fought but can't complain because it was insanely close..
Lil-lightsout
Arum should worry about Pac beating Hatton first. How many fights have been ruined because another fighter spoils those plans? Mosley just did it to Plasterman, which screwed the rematch with Cotto. I think it adds extra pressure on Pac to try and not look ahead to Cotto and just focus on his fight with Ricky.
streetlion1
I really hope the fight happens after Pacman beats Hatton so everyone can see just what im talking about....Pacman gets smashed inside of 8 rounds against Cotto. He doesnt have the technical skill to beat Cotto..period.

What is all this I hear about Cotto not being able to hit Pacman?! Manny is no defensive genius..and his style invites punishment. It seems like guys are going off Mannys performance against DLH which is a bad mistake!

Speed can only take you so far if you dont have the technical skills to go with it....from the sound of things people think Cotto has Baldomir type speed or something dntknw.gif Cotto has solid speed, a good jab, is still arguably the best body puncher in the sport, and is just a better fighter.

Im not saying Pacman would get totally out-classed but he would get K.O.ed...there is just no way I see him winning a fight against Cotto...
and the NEW
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Mar 5 2009, 05:39 AM) [snapback]427099[/snapback]
His new footwork with more balanced mixed in is good..He definitely still lacks balance..Footwork is based off of balance..If you're balance isn't there,you can't have good footwork..

I think Mosley beat Cotto when they fought but can't complain because it was insanely close..

Yes, thankyou.

Agreed on both points.

But though Pac doesn't have the greatest balanace, he is an unorthadox kind of guy, but still, does not see flash knockdowns as much as many guys, so it's not a problem at all IMO.
and the NEW
No, actually, I would take Cotto over Pac. Infact I think the Hatton fight could be a split-em.

But Pac could no doubt cause some problems if he uses his movement.
torvix2000
I've seen the press pix of Hatton and Pacman side by side. LOL! Hatton was bigger because he's bloated while Pacquiao was almost in shape for 140. Perhaps due to the hard training he did to avoid DLH's punches. Hatton's gonna get his as.s whupped, ironically, by Pac's light but needle-like punches.
JLUVBABY
hatton is gonna put lil manny to sleep. pacs not fighting a drained fighter this time he's fighting a legit p4pder in his prime at his natural weight. pac fans are gonna get a rude awakening in this one...
Douchebag
Cotto would put a molly whopping on Manny. People talk about Manny's speed but Cotto has PROVEN that can deal with speed on two occasions already.

Stevenski- Cotto's left hook to the body is just as good as Manny's straight left. Your hate clouds your judgement and makes you look even dumber than usually do.
streetlion1
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Mar 5 2009, 10:11 AM) [snapback]427124[/snapback]
hatton is gonna put lil manny to sleep. pacs not fighting a drained fighter this time he's fighting a legit p4pder in his prime at his natural weight. pac fans are gonna get a rude awakening in this one...

I dunno about that. Hatton still has little defense...on top of that his chin leaves much to be desired. You cant go off of his fight with a he-she like Malignaggi. Both guys will come forward and it should be a war at the outset but I dont see Hatton standing up to the storm that Manny brings.

If Hatton stays true to his rush in and maul you style he will get caught, take punishment, and it'll be nite-nite time. I dont see that fight going past 6 rounds.

Pacman wins by viscious K.O.
BoxingStill#1

QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 4 2009, 08:51 PM) [snapback]427072[/snapback]
I agree that Cotto is much more technically sound, Pacquiao moves around like Hatton, jumping around like a little energizer bunny. They hop in and out of the killzone pretty good (though Hatton does it face first which sucks), other than that. The footwork hasn't really impressed me. I just think people are mistaking foot speed and footwork as the same. I think they have good foot speed, not sure I would go on about how great the foot work is though.

perfectly said.

This would be a great fight...... Cotto, however is way to wrong for Pacman. In every way a fighter could be wrong.

I actually want this fight to happen, more so cause I'm a Cotto fan and it would be terrific for his legacy however....

On a different note, it seems like were moving towards "who is the best opponent for Mayweather".....Well, It is of the most importants for Pacman to win against Hatton and Cotto if we ever want to see PBF in the ring again. I think he's is the only one he would fight.
lloyd mayflower
I dont think theres the slightest chance pac could beat cotto. correct me if im wrong, but the last top notch fighter he faced was JMM at 130 lbs. i think he lost that fight, altho its not a disgrace that he got the nod. my point is, hes done notihng to prove he could even be the best at 135 or 140, so to try and fight IMO the best 147 in cotto is a bit of a joke. Beating hatton will obviously go some way to maiking it credible, but i dont even see that happening
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 5 2009, 08:18 AM) [snapback]427112[/snapback]
So Pacquiao doesn't get hit against a guy that literally doesn't throw back and now Pacquiao is Pep, Mayweather, Toney, Whitaker etc.

"Will Cotto be able to land on him?"

LMAO. You guys are too much.

Of course Cotto will be able to land shots on Pac. Will he be able to land effective punches is my question. He probably could & he is a much bigger fighter so he would have to be the favourite in a matchbetween the two. Pac would be very live though & I would pick him because I think he is too fast for Cotto.

QUOTE(The Conscience @ Mar 5 2009, 04:41 PM) [snapback]427129[/snapback]
Cotto would put a molly whopping on Manny. People talk about Manny's speed but Cotto has PROVEN that can deal with speed on two occasions already.

Stevenski- Cotto's left hook to the body is just as good as Manny's straight left. Your hate clouds your judgement and makes you look even dumber than usually do.

Not the type of speed that Pac brings.

Cotto's left rip to the body is a good punch but not in the league of Manny's straight left. Cotto has a bigger range of technically correct punches but it does not make him a better fighter.
torvix2000
People are saying that Pac should have been tested by getting himself punched at 147. LOL! I've heard the same thing about Mayweather. That Mayweather should be tested by getting himself punched. What type of punch? A clean punch? Well, I'm sure they'll get hurt if they get one of those clean punches from big guys.

Roach's strategy was stated: "We'll use speed to avoid DLH's punches". Why did he say that? Because if Pac gets tagged clean, he's done. They were successful. They met their objective. That's why after 4 rounds of hitting air, DLH quit as they put it "can no longer pull the trigger".

How about Mayweather's objective: "I'm gonna use my defensive wizardry to avoid getting caught clean.". He was successful. He was always close to DLH that's why DLH was punching as they put it "can pull the trigger".

There are a lot of differences between these approaches. But one thing is similar - the objective.

Look, Mayweather can afford to stand in front of anybody because of his defense. Pac could not. So, in his fight against DLH, they said they will use speed. He even came in at 142 for a 147 fight.

These guys - Pacquiao and Marquez were pulverizing opponents because their speed were being overrated. Remember that these guys are so used to fighting at lighter weight classes that they can keep track of very quick hands. Even slight movements that have meaning can be spotted. Those punches that gets through have a high probability of not being haymaker.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 6 2009, 12:16 AM) [snapback]427155[/snapback]
I wasn't really responding to you, it was someone else that said will he be able to land on Pacquiao, due to speed or something. I think if you take a p4p sense, I would have picked Cotto over the version of Morales, and Barrera Pacquiao fought. The Mosley that Cotto beat was better than Morales and Barrera at the time IMO. I think Pacquiao is a beast, but has also been a little fortunate to catch some of the guys when he did.

You must be joking surely Fitz.

The 2003 Barerra that Pac dominated & destroyed was coming off wins against Morales, Hamed, Tapia & Kelley & was in teh absolute prime of his career. Pac could not have fought a better Barerra especially considering how Barerra came back from his loss to flog Ayala & Morales in dominant performances. That win alone is better than every single win in Cotto's career IMO.

When Pac fought Morales he may have been at the end of his prime but he was far from shot or a spent force. He had had several notable fights & quality performances leading up to this including a clear win over Pac.

The Mosley that Cotto won a close fight with had not had a quality win against a real top level opponent since he got a gift against DLH in 03.

I don't know where you are going with this Fitz I really don't as usually you are on the money but not this time IMO.

QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 6 2009, 12:20 AM) [snapback]427156[/snapback]
The difference between Mayweather and Pacquiao is that Mayweather didn't get hit because of remarkable defence, Pacquaio didn't get hit because he had someone that didn't throw and looked drained. It really isn't the same.

The difference is that PBF did not hit DLH hard enough or often enough to make DLH stop punching. Neither PAC or PBF fought close to a prime DLH but the dominance of Pac over DLH was due to his speed & continuous punching as well as getting in & out of the pocket. This drained talk is crap salad. DLH made the weight & made it easy all that happened is that he trained properley for a fight for teh first time in years & he fought a guy who was a lot faster & sharper than he was.
and the NEW
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 6 2009, 12:16 AM) [snapback]427155[/snapback]
I wasn't really responding to you, it was someone else that said will he be able to land on Pacquiao, due to speed or something. I think if you take a p4p sense, I would have picked Cotto over the version of Morales, and Barrera Pacquiao fought. The Mosley that Cotto beat was better than Morales and Barrera at the time IMO. I think Pacquiao is a beast, but has also been a little fortunate to catch some of the guys when he did.

Come on now Fitz.

Mosley fight was as close as they come. People seem to think he blew Mosley away around here. And Mosley was FAR from the fighter he was in his prime (then you go on to talk about Pac being fortunate he caught Morales and Barrera when he did).

Then Cotto got KTFO by Margarito.

Not exactly P4P great kind of status. As I stated, Cotto hype train is still alive and well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.