Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Home Training Bag Recommendations
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Training Tips
dbdbdb
I'm looking to get a Heavy Bag 70lb. and a Double-End Bag for home training. And would like to get some opinions from those who train at home, about the equiptment you use.

Opinions & Recommendations On - Pros & Cons:

- Bag Brand: TKO vs. Everlast vs. Century

- Material: Leather vs. Nevatear vs. Vinyl vs. Canvas

- Filling: Prefilled Material vs Water Filled Bag

- Bag gloves

Total Budget = Under $200 for everything {Heavy Bag & Double bag}

................... Thanks Guys
Spyder
I got an unfilled synthetic leather bag from Title...went to the car wash to get the rags to fill it...put a 25lbs sand filled carpet roll in the center to add more weight...now it weighs 110lbs.

It's a GREAT bag. No rips or tears. Heavy, and hard as fuck.....just the way I like it! (Sorry I just watched EAST BOUND and DOWN) lol

I had to anchor it down to the floor to stop it from swinging, but luckily the bag came equiped with an anchor ring already attached. I also have the heavy-grade bag spring hanging it up.

Everything totalled was about $60-70.
STEVENSKI
Find a woman (your wife maybe?) around 70lbs & beat on her. Saves money & will make sure you have a hearty meal after training.
dbdbdb
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Mar 4 2009, 08:34 PM) [snapback]427063[/snapback]
Find a woman (your wife maybe?) around 70lbs & beat on her. Saves money & will make sure you have a hearty meal after training.

I don't think the lady could take a beating per day laugh.gif Plus, she's liable to bust me up while I'm sleeping.

Quick story: I had an aunt that was getting a beat-down from my uncle by marriage evey other week {Sorry-ass loser} And she got tired of that shit. So she got some bottles and broke them up into chunks and spread them all around the bed {So that when he got out of bed his feet would get sliced to shreds} And while he was sleeping {After another beat-down} she got a sledge-hammer and busted him in the head, he jumped up bleeding like crazy right onto the broken glass .... He screamed after getting sliced & diced by the glass and got hit in the back with another blow from the sledge-hammer ... he rolled over and got clocked one more time with the sledge in the shoulder.

End-result ... three cracked ribs, a broken arm, a concussion, lost almost a quart of blood.... But he survived because my other aunt stopped the slaughter just in time.

DON'T EVER BE THE TYPE OF SO-CALLED MAN THAT MY IDIOT UNCLE WAS ...... YOU MIGHT NOT LIVE TO TALK ABOT IT.
dbdbdb
QUOTE(Spyder @ Mar 4 2009, 08:26 PM) [snapback]427061[/snapback]
I got an unfilled synthetic leather bag from Title...went to the car wash to get the rags to fill it...put a 25lbs sand filled carpet roll in the center to add more weight...now it weighs 110lbs.

It's a GREAT bag. No rips or tears. Heavy, and hard as fuck.....just the way I like it! (Sorry I just watched EAST BOUND and DOWN) lol

I had to anchor it down to the floor to stop it from swinging, but luckily the bag came equiped with an anchor ring already attached. I also have the heavy-grade bag spring hanging it up.

Everything totalled was about $60-70.

That's what I'm thinking .... get an unfilled bag and fill it with a mixture of sand and cloth.

Thanks
Lil-lightsout
I have bought all my stuff from ringside for over 15 years. There stuff has always been quickly shipped and quality. I prefer water filled bags personally, that is almost exclusively what I hit at home as far as heavybags. There is no way I could go back to hitting the other type of bags, but that is just me. I do know the water bags are probably more expensive than a cheaper regular filled economy type heavy-bag.

Make sure you buy hand wraps, and dont but those tiny cheap ass bag gloves with very little protection. Get a semi decent padded gloves. Ringside has there lower brand called contender that usually has some good deals.

Good luck with your purchase.
JonnyBlaze
I'd suggest you get a bigger bag than 70 lbs..100 is good..

How much do you weigh??If you're a smaller guy,70 would be ok for you but 70's are too light for me..

I'd suggest either a Title or everlast bag..Prefilled bag,leather..
BGv2.0
I have NEVER liked hitting a really huge heavy bag.....it's boring as fuck and it just feels like shit on your hands.

The only thing worse to me is any bag with water....that shit feels like your hitting an elephant's ball sack!

I've always liked a much lighter bag......a 25-50lb or so....then you can hit it and with your suspention cord connected you actually get a really nice movement from the bag that can really get you in a nice groove...but it's a lot heavier than a suspention bag...so you can really put a lot into it.

I eat through Leather Everlast....but they are very cheap to replace. But I was getting tired of replacing them so I tried a Canvas TKO bag, and have just ripped it here recently...but I've had it awhile. Nothing good old duct tape won't fix!

But like lightouts said....get you some good gloves and wraps....not those thin BS bag gloves. There is Nothing sweeter than Leather everlast bag gloves (the higher end pair) hitting Everlast leather bags....I love that pop.

BUT...most recently I tried a set of Neoprine gloves, that seem to be holding up pretty well...I think they were Century.

I buy all my crap at Academy, so you can find it all there.

Wraps-$6
Gloves-$20
Bag-$35-50

Try that shit out in the store man....grab one of the sets of gloves....crack it open and smack their displays....that is the best way to feel it out.
Spyder
I second that ringside callout. They have a lot of quality stuff there at great price.

I have two pairs of gloves for bag work...16oz Title, and 20oz Amber...most of the time I use the 16's. The 20's are perfect for when my hands get sore, or if I feel like building some strength.

QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Mar 5 2009, 03:35 AM) [snapback]427114[/snapback]
I have NEVER liked hitting a really huge heavy bag.....it's boring as fuck and it just feels like shit on your hands.

Sounds like someone punches like a girl...lol

And Fitz, 10oz gloves for the heavybag? Man, I'm surrounded by feather fisted ninnies...

laugh.gif

dbdbdb
JonnyBlaze,

I went to using the lighter sand\cloth filled bags in the past because I was starting to have both wrist & elbow pain from a long workout on the heavy bags. Over this winter I've been doing alot of weight training because I just didn't have the time to travel to the gym to workout. With all the weights and strength cords traing I've added 10lbs of muscle and I'm at 207lbs. But I feel stiff as hell ..... So I decided to get a heavy bag & double\double for the home gym.

QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Mar 5 2009, 01:03 AM) [snapback]427104[/snapback]
I have bought all my stuff from ringside for over 15 years. There stuff has always been quickly shipped and quality. I prefer water filled bags personally, that is almost exclusively what I hit at home as far as heavybags. There is no way I could go back to hitting the other type of bags, but that is just me. I do know the water bags are probably more expensive than a cheaper regular filled economy type heavy-bag.

Make sure you buy hand wraps, and dont but those tiny cheap ass bag gloves with very little protection. Get a semi decent padded gloves. Ringside has there lower brand called contender that usually has some good deals.

Good luck with your purchase.

A friend has a heavy water bag and I'm driving over to his house later today. But he has nothing but praise for the water bags {I think he has a Combat sports international}

I agree about the cheapo bag gloves. I think alot of people complain about their hands hurting while they're using those thin gloves. I never did like them.

Ringside has some Gel Shock Super Bag gloves 12oz. for $49, that I think I'm going to try.

QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Mar 5 2009, 03:35 AM) [snapback]427114[/snapback]

The only thing worse to me is any bag with water....that shit feels like your hitting an elephant's ball sack!

I've always liked a much lighter bag......a 25-50lb or so....then you can hit it and with your suspention cord connected you actually get a really nice movement from the bag that can really get you in a nice groove...but it's a lot heavier than a suspention bag...so you can really put a lot into it.

I eat through Leather Everlast....but they are very cheap to replace. But I was getting tired of replacing them so I tried a Canvas TKO bag, and have just ripped it here recently...but I've had it awhile. Nothing good old duct tape won't fix!

But like lightouts said....get you some good gloves and wraps....not those thin BS bag gloves. There is Nothing sweeter than Leather everlast bag gloves (the higher end pair) hitting Everlast leather bags....I love that pop.

BUT...most recently I tried a set of Neoprine gloves, that seem to be holding up pretty well...I think they were Century.

I buy all my crap at Academy, so you can find it all there.

Wraps-$6
Gloves-$20
Bag-$35-50

Try that shit out in the store man....grab one of the sets of gloves....crack it open and smack their displays....that is the best way to feel it out.

I always thought you get a better workout with the lighter bags, you just have alot of spinning if they're not tied down ...... If a heavy water bag would reduce the pain and still give me the resistance of hitting a 100+ lb person then I would gladly try it out.

Like I said I'm going to try out a water bag today and if I like how it feels, its a done deal. I've been looking at the either the Century Hydrocore XL 120lbs. or the Ringside water\foam 130lb.

I wouldn't use a 130lb. sand heavy bag, but if the water responds like many claim, then I'll go for the heavier one.

Thanks Guys
BGv2.0
QUOTE(Spyder @ Mar 5 2009, 08:43 AM) [snapback]427119[/snapback]
Sounds like someone punches like a girl...lol

A girl hugh?

You know that scene in Rocky where Drago hits that square that measures his power....that was all smoke and mirrors buddy! Lungren had no chance of actully getting that number up....so they recruited a small town country boy from TX....to hit it. I was only 8 years old at the time, but you can clearly see on the dvd how bad ass I was. They filmed him on the far shots...but the close ups were all me!

Also, I have trained under the mystic art of the White Buffalo....Ti Buff Do....my "girl" hands are registered in all 50 states as well as several contries as lethal weapons. Mexico will not even let me back in without plaster casts and chains binding my fists behind my back, with 5 armed guards.
dbdbdb
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Mar 5 2009, 01:07 PM) [snapback]427132[/snapback]
A girl hugh?

You know that scene in Rocky where Drago hits that square that measures his power....that was all smoke and mirrors buddy! Lungren had no chance of actully getting that number up....so they recruited a small town country boy from TX....to hit it. I was only 8 years old at the time, but you can clearly see on the dvd how bad ass I was. They filmed him on the far shots...but the close ups were all me!

Also, I have trained under the mystic art of the White Buffalo....Ti Buff Do....my "girl" hands are registered in all 50 states as well as several contries as lethal weapons. Mexico will not even let me back in without plaster casts and chains binding my fists behind my back, with 5 armed guards.

laugh.gif

Here's My Final Order: $211.73 {Now I hope UPS can get my shuff here fast clapping.gif }

Title Gel World Bag Gloves - Black/White - 59.99
Everlast Professional Double End Bag 9" - Gold\Black - 49.99
Century Hydro-core XL 120lb Bag - 101.75 {With web Coupon saved $49.00}

!
Thanks Again Guys
Spyder
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Mar 5 2009, 01:07 PM) [snapback]427132[/snapback]
A girl hugh?

Oh, you know Ti Buff Do??

Sorry, I didn't know that...please excuse me...sir...

laugh.gif
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 5 2009, 05:49 PM) [snapback]427141[/snapback]
Not feather fisted, I just have kind of weak hands. Plus, I have been to several gyms and I think a small minority actually use bag gloves. I know of about 2 guys at the gym that use bag gloves, plus I use 10 oz for multi purpose. As I used it for sparring as well with head gear, or 16 oz without head gear.
I don't own 16 oz gloves, because the gym has some of those and I use theirs for sparring.

There are work outs and other things you can use to toughen up your hands if you're serious about boxing..Soaking your hands in brine is what guys like Jack Dempsey and a lot of other fighters did back then..

DBD---good choice with the heavier back..There is no possible way I could work a 25-50 lb bag EVER..I'd have to hit extremely light and would not be able to throw combos..I don't know why you'd put a cord around yourself like someone said,I'd just suggest a bigger bag..If your hands start to hurt,you might not be wrapping your hands right..I've always had a lot of power and when I would hit the bag when I first started boxing my hands would get sore..I used to either not wear wraps or lightly wrap my knuckles and now the majority of my wrap is on my knuckles..NEVER hit the bag without wraps on..I'm sure you know this though..I never have problems with my hands anymore..Wrapping your hands is an art just like boxing is..
ROLL DEEP
Shit, I always wear 14-16oz gloves to work pads and bags.

When I have a fight coming up, during the last week, I switch up to 10oz and I feel faster than a mutha! Hitting pads and bags with 10oz all the hurts my hands too much.
Snoop
Yeah I don't understand why bigger gloves means being feather-fisted. I have a bad right hand and use 14oz gloves to prevent them from bruising. Doesn't mean I can't hit though. Also, heavier gloves are harder to train with as they put my strain on keeping your hands up and enhance your speed.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Mar 8 2009, 08:26 PM) [snapback]427440[/snapback]
Yeah I don't understand why bigger gloves means being feather-fisted. I have a bad right hand and use 14oz gloves to prevent them from bruising. Doesn't mean I can't hit though. Also, heavier gloves are harder to train with as they put my strain on keeping your hands up and enhance your speed.

The majority of hand problems are from hard punchers in boxing..There are plenty of guys who have hand problems that don't hit hard though(fragile hands)..Floyd Mayweather has more power than he is given credit for and he has some really bad hand problems..A lot of heavyweights get hand problems at some point..

Like I said though,if ya want to tough your hands up either exercise them(you should be doing hand/wrist/forearm exercises anyway) or the easiest way to is soak them in brine..Brine will make your hands feel rough(downside) and like rocks..Jack Dempsey would use bull piss on his face to toughen his face up..
ROLL DEEP
I'll stick with the 14 oz gloves.

Bull piss? Sitting watching TV with my hands in brine? laugh.gif Nah, I'll pass, hahaha.
happygocampy
I've had a pre-filled leather Everlast 100lb bag for 13 years or so, got it when i was a teen. It was a bitch to break the thing in. My neighbor was big into Martial Arts and told me to throw elbows and knees at it for a few months to break it in faster. It's been a sweet bag ever since.

If i were to do it again nowadays i would definitely fill it myself this time around.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(ROLL DEEP @ Mar 9 2009, 11:35 AM) [snapback]427448[/snapback]
Bull piss? Sitting watching TV with my hands in brine? laugh.gif Nah, I'll pass, hahaha.

hahhahaha..I can just picture that shit..Watching some basketball while soaking my hands in brine..hahaha..A lot of old schoolers did that shit..Bull piss is the extreme..I'd rather use brine if I were to do something like that to my face..My trainer said he used to soak his hands and face in brine and his face would smell like pickle juice!!hahahaha..NASTY SHIT..

If none of you have heard of this Jack Dempsey book I suggest you get it..It's called A Flame of Pure Fire--Jack Dempsey and the roaring 20's...It's about 500 pages long..In that book Dempsey talks about the bull piss thing and the brine..He's a crazy ass dude..
dbdbdb
QUOTE(ROLL DEEP @ Mar 9 2009, 11:35 AM) [snapback]427448[/snapback]

I'm with you ROLL DEEP,

Where in the hell do you get bull piss from? laugh.gif

The lady puts up with alot of sh*t from me, but I think rubbing "Bull Piss" on my face would be the straw that breaks the camels back, for sure.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(dbdbdb @ Mar 9 2009, 11:05 PM) [snapback]427493[/snapback]
I'm with you ROLL DEEP,

Where in the hell do you get bull piss from? laugh.gif

The lady puts up with alot of sh*t from me, but I think rubbing "Bull Piss" on my face would be the straw that breaks the camels back, for sure.

laugh.gif
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 10 2009, 01:41 AM) [snapback]427500[/snapback]
I see that winning championships was a lot more important to him than dignity.

HAHAHAHA..For sure..

Dbdb---that shit you said is hilarious..hahahahahahahha..I can't believe he did it,but he did..I don't know if he did this when he became big but when he was a hobo,he did..Crazy shit!!!I could never do that no matter what..
Snoop
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Mar 9 2009, 08:14 PM) [snapback]427462[/snapback]
hahhahaha..I can just picture that shit..Watching some basketball while soaking my hands in brine..hahaha..A lot of old schoolers did that shit..Bull piss is the extreme..I'd rather use brine if I were to do something like that to my face..My trainer said he used to soak his hands and face in brine and his face would smell like pickle juice!!hahahaha..NASTY SHIT..

If none of you have heard of this Jack Dempsey book I suggest you get it..It's called A Flame of Pure Fire--Jack Dempsey and the roaring 20's...It's about 500 pages long..In that book Dempsey talks about the bull piss thing and the brine..He's a crazy ass dude..

I heard some shit that Dempsey used to chew on tree bark or something to strengthen his jaw. Any of that mentioned in the book?
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Mar 10 2009, 10:25 AM) [snapback]427537[/snapback]
I heard some shit that Dempsey used to chew on tree bark or something to strengthen his jaw. Any of that mentioned in the book?

Yeah, I've heard that too.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Mar 10 2009, 11:25 AM) [snapback]427537[/snapback]

Nope,no mention of that..Right now I'm at a part where it's talking about how he might of been pimping his wife to make money..He knew she was a prostitute before he married her and was ok with it..She was like 15-20 years older than him too..haha..He was 22 at the time..

I'm surprised at how easy it was to take advantage of Dempsey..He got paid NOTHING for the Willard fight..Kearns lost a bet on that Dempsey would KO Willard in the first and took it out of Dempsey's pay even though he never said he would KO Willard,especially since Willard had never been KO'd..Dempsey was real pissed about it but Kearns talked his way out of it..Then Kearns took out traveling expenses and training expenses..Dempsey had a feeling about this but Kearns was also making up for his loses in money he spent on booze,other gambling,and chicks..Kearns,instead of buying a chick roses or something on the first date,would buy them piano's!!!!
JonnyBlaze
I suggest ya guys to get the book..It is kinda rare but worth it if ya feel like you're spending more than you should be..I paid 22 bucks for it..I've heard it can get up to 50+ though..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.