Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cotto -VS- Clottey
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Imperius3
On FNF tonight, Atlas mentioned that his sources say a Cotto-Clottey bout might happen in June at MSG. Not only do I think this would be a great fight, but I also think Clottey would win it. Clottey is well schooled and with his physical size and strength, I think he can overpower Cotto.

I know I recently said that Cotto will be champ for a long time, but I forgot all about Clottey who has kinda lurked into the shadows. I'm glad to hear he's getting back into the mix, and a fight with Cotto would be classic.

How do you see it going down?
JD
I lean toward Clottey by decision.
JLUVBABY
Oh i'm pumped about this fight... this will be a good one.. i lean towards clottey as well tho not by much... one things for sure clottey will go through some fire to get this victory if he pulls it off... this will be a f.o.t.y. canidate...
JonnyBlaze
This would be an amazing fight..There are so many FOTY's to choose from already and this one would be another to add to the list..I'd be real pumped if they make a deal for this fight to happen..They are perfect for each other..
kidbazooka1
Clottey is made for Cotto.

Cotto by beat down.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Mar 7 2009, 12:02 AM) [snapback]427293[/snapback]
This would be an amazing fight..There are so many FOTY's to choose from already and this one would be another to add to the list..I'd be real pumped if they make a deal for this fight to happen..They are perfect for each other..

i think it'll get made johnny... i have a good feelin bout this one..
hardhead
This is EXCELLENT news!!!!!!!! Boy, 2009 is shaping up to be one hell of a year so far. WOOOOOOOOO!!! I'm loving this matchup and I have to concur with JD , Imperious and JLUV that I lean towards Clotty by decision but it should be very competitive, Clotty is strong but he does have a tendency to lay back some and let the other fight take control at different moments. I could see Cotto taking control in those moments. Clotty has a good chin so I can see him rallying back too. This is a fight I would definitely think about going to but I'll be at the Boxing HOF that weekend so I'll be watching it from a friend's house. I know it's not official so I'll have my fingers crossed.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Mar 7 2009, 02:37 AM) [snapback]427299[/snapback]
i think it'll get made johnny... i have a good feelin bout this one..

Lets all hope it does get made..2009 is going to be a great year for boxing..After 2 months,it has given the fans back to back to back great fights..I hope the pattern continues..
Lil-lightsout
This would be great fight, and I am not a huge fan of either, so it would make it even better not caring who really wins. Just so it is a great action fight to enjoy with two real fighters, without no emotional attachment. I would slightly favor Cotto in a tough fight.
Vodoo
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Mar 7 2009, 01:36 AM) [snapback]427298[/snapback]

Cotto by beat down.

Could you elaborate on that, or should we just take your word for it?

Anyway, unless Clottey really dominates Cotto I can't see him winning a decision. Cotto will be throwing combos on Clottey's arm defense and the judges will be giving him credit for those as well as any shots that are deemed pretty close to landing. If this fight is close it's going Cotto's way, bottom line.

On the other hand, Arum could be throwing Cotto to the wolves due to Cotto's recent verbal attacks on Arum for sticking up for Margarito and the possible defection everyone expects Cotto to be planning once his contract is up. I mean why else would this fight that most figured Arum wouldn't make has all of a sudden happened? I mean usually Arum would have done his usual double header, Cotto versus bum X & Clottey vs bum X with the 2 of them matching later in the future. This time, he's going straight for Cotto's jugular.
dbdbdb
Good matchup

Clottey is a strong dude and hits soo hard sometimes, he breaks his hands and even tears a bicep. And on the other side of the coin, Cotto hits extremely hard also, but haven't had the injuries Clottey's had in the past.

The main question is whether Cotto has fully recovered mentally from his lost to AM {Jennings wasn't stern enough of a test to find out the answer to that question}. Clottey is alot better than most people give credit and he will be a very, very good test for Cotto's state of mind.

On the fight meter this matchup would rate an (8) with the lean to Clottey in the win column.

Side note: The judges should stay out of the way on this potential matchup ...... really let the best man win.

Boxing will be served well if that did in fact happen.
JLUVBABY
i'm excited bout this fight cuzz clottey has just the style that gets with cotto at his best but at the same time has the limitations that cotto can also overcome.. to me the recipe for a great fight.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Vodoo @ Mar 7 2009, 10:54 AM) [snapback]427326[/snapback]

Anyway, unless Clottey really dominates Cotto I can't see him winning a decision. Cotto will be throwing combos on Clottey's arm defense and the judges will be giving him credit for those as well as any shots that are deemed pretty close to landing. If this fight is close it's going Cotto's way, bottom line.

On the other hand, Arum could be throwing Cotto to the wolves due to Cotto's recent verbal attacks on Arum for sticking up for Margarito and the possible defection everyone expects Cotto to be planning once his contract is up. I mean why else would this fight that most figured Arum wouldn't make has all of a sudden happened? I mean usually Arum would have done his usual double header, Cotto versus bum X & Clottey vs bum X with the 2 of them matching later in the future. This time, he's going straight for Cotto's jugular.

i think this can be a very hard back and forth fight... i dont see either fighter really dominating the other for at least the first half of he fight or so... this is a good fight to be made... probably one of the more solid fights that can be made...
salvador
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Mar 7 2009, 02:36 AM) [snapback]427298[/snapback]

Cotto by beat down.

Why do you think Clottey is made for Cotto? I actually think that Clottey is going to have an easy time landing short heavy counters all night. Also, Clottey will weigh 170 pounds and he has a great chin and will go the distance.

I think Cotto will win by decision due to his workrate and his name, but it'll be close and I wouldn't be even a little surprised to see Clottey win an 8-4 type of decision.

great fight if it happens
streetlion1
I would like if this fight happened...I would lean towards Cotto because he is more technically sound and would chop up Clotteys body all night long. Dont get me wrong...im not sleep on Clottey but I feel in the end he just wont do enough to win.

They both put a whoopin on Judah and both lost to Margarito as far as common opponents. Cotto was more impressive in his loss over Marg and his win over Zab than Clottey was IMO. They are both also fighters who like to fight in close for the most part. I like Clotteys defense so it wouldnt be an easy night for Cotto but based on pure skill...I give it to Cotto.

Cotto UD or SD
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Vodoo @ Mar 7 2009, 12:54 PM) [snapback]427326[/snapback]

nah just take my word for it bro. LOL

j/k

Clottey will give Cotto some trouble because he's tough and durable but he doesn't have the speed to outbox Cotto nor the power to overwhelm him in my opinion. Cotto could do more things he could choose to box him or stand and trade his harder blows will get to the mark first and begin to wear on Clottey down. Like i said Cotto by mid rd stoppage Clottey will stand there and trade and take a huge beating.
The Original MrFactor
Clottey by SD.

Great matchup. Clottey is another BIG rugged, durable WW. he'll give Cotto hell. he moves pretty good and can throw good combos. He will beat Cotto to the punch occasionally in a tactical boxing match with them occasionally mixing it up.

Clottey may finally be getting his shot. Perhaps he will run the table this year by beating Cotto, Berto leading up to a Mosley match at the end of the year...

Incidentally, Clottey called out Paul Williams a few months back and got no response... Could be a great year for Joshua. He deserves some shine. Good fighter and appears to be a pretty good kid.
Imperius3
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Mar 7 2009, 09:41 PM) [snapback]427374[/snapback]
Cotto was more impressive in his loss over Marg and his win over Zab than Clottey was IMO.

What do you mean? Clottey lasted the distance with Margarito and did enough to earn a draw on my card (with one hand at that). Against Judah, Clottey should've been rewarded a TKO 9 because he cut Judah with a punch, but it was incorrectly ruled an accidental headbutt. Cotto was rocked by Judah and Margarito, but Clottey wasn't stunned once. IMO, Clottey was more impressive against those common opponents.
Jack 1000
Assuming that Margarito used the loaded gloves against Cotto, it may be difficult for him to psychologically come back from the way his face looked after that war with both Cotto and Margarito giving and taking great shots. But Margarito having an unfair advantage like that, who knows how that will play in Cotto's mind the next time he fights.

Clottey's a very good welterweight. Kind of like a notch below Mosley in terms of experience. (Who I thought just barley beat Cotto by a point.) But Clottey can give you hell especially early with his style and some good punching. Cotto has to be careful early where he may be vulnerable, maybe even dropped.

Unfortunately, Clottey does come up on the short end of bad luck in fights and the judges may want to protect Arum's last big meal ticket by giving Cotto rounds that are close, even marginally close. It would look bad from a promotional standpoint for Cotto to lose. But it will still be a close hard fought fight. I do think Josh will have to score a TKO/KO to win. He won't, so I will say Cotto by UD around 115-113, and 116-112 (twice.)

Jack
streetlion1
QUOTE(Imperius3 @ Mar 8 2009, 05:16 AM) [snapback]427402[/snapback]
What do you mean? Clottey lasted the distance with Margarito and did enough to earn a draw on my card (with one hand at that). Against Judah, Clottey should've been rewarded a TKO 9 because he cut Judah with a punch, but it was incorrectly ruled an accidental headbutt. Cotto was rocked by Judah and Margarito, but Clottey wasn't stunned once. IMO, Clottey was more impressive against those common opponents.

I dunno to me he was more impressive. He destroyed Zab....I do remember Zab stunning Cotto twice with uppercuts early on but that was it....and he was clearly giving Margacheato a boxing lesson before he got tired.

Clottey hurting his hand against Margacheato is an excuse(which Clottey later admitted his hand wasnt broken in that fight...he may have tweaked it)...just like Cotto getting tired is an excuse...either way they both lost.
D-MARV
I'll be pulling for Miguel Cotto 100% of the way!!!!!!!!!!!

I see this as a pick em fight.
Douchebag
Cotto is going to tattoo Joshua's body in June.
dbdbdb
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Mar 8 2009, 02:27 PM) [snapback]427432[/snapback]
Cotto is going to tattoo Joshua's body in June.

One thing of note is that Cotto isn't as destructive a body puncher when his opponent is in the center of the ring and moving. His effectiveness to the body goes through the roof when his opponent is stagnant and leaning against the ropes. Clottey is a very well schooled boxer and doesn't languish on the ropes often. He knows how to box off the ropes and is a very good puncher.

Technically - I see them both as equal {With Cotto having the better footwork}
Powershots - Cotto has the edge ONLY when his opponent is stagnant
Jabs - Another area where Cotto & Clottey are somewhat equal
Defence - Clottey has the edge, because his peek-a-boo style will present little opportunity to rip shots CLEANLY to the body.

A very tough fight for both .......... The Key is, who will want it the most.
Mean Mister Mustard
I don't expect Cotto to KO Clottey. Clottey is like another African that cotto fought, Lovemore N'Dou and he was able to absorb Cotto's bombs. Cloteey is different from N'Dou because he is stronger and has faster hands but he doesn't have the stamina of N'Dou who was able to pressure Cotto in the late rounds. Cotto has really improved since 2004, especially his boxing skills.

I see Cotto moving and throwing combos while Clottey cmoes foward and catches them on his standard African peek a boo defense. I think the fight will be close bit Cotto's combos and bodypunching will carry the day.
BoxingStill#1
Really tough fight for Cotto.....If he can win this fight, Marg's fight (with the possibilty that he cheated) is erased in my mind. Clottey is as tough as they get with a dangerous right hand......

Cotto should win by a tight decision, if he's conditioned to take the punishment.....
Nay_Sayer
A far as stupid fights go, with respect to Cotto's management, this one ranks up there. WTF are they thinking? Why not go after the Mosley rematch? Cotto ain't gonna get past Clottey, and, if you're gonna lose anyway, why not for the most amount of money?

Clottey's jab gives Cotto all kinds of problems, IMO...
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Mar 9 2009, 03:06 PM) [snapback]427460[/snapback]
A far as stupid fights go, with respect to Cotto's management, this one ranks up there. WTF are they thinking? Why not go after the Mosley rematch? Cotto ain't gonna get past Clottey, and, if you're gonna lose anyway, why not for the most amount of money?

Clottey's jab gives Cotto all kinds of problems, IMO...

You think Clottey has a better jab than Cotto??
Sugar Q
I will be shocked if Bob Arum allows this fight to happen. Even though he benefits either way I don't see him taking the risk right now.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Mar 9 2009, 01:19 PM) [snapback]427463[/snapback]
You think Clottey has a better jab than Cotto??

No doubt.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Mar 9 2009, 05:39 PM) [snapback]427477[/snapback]
I will be shocked if Bob Arum allows this fight to happen. Even though he benefits either way I don't see him taking the risk right now.

It doesn't matter if Clottey unifies every belt in that division, he would never generate the money Cotto or any top name would right now.

I would like to see Clottey fight Berto.....

Berto and Cotto would make big bucks, and it would still be a fight for the fans. We would get a glimps of how a fight might be with PBF.
King Eugene
Damnit Judah was bamboozled! Clottey give him a rematch. laugh.gif

I'm sorry but I'm favoring Cotto in this one by just plain out boxing this cat. Clottey is getting a lot of respect from BS.
Douchebag
Cotto's Jab is top 3 P4P. Clottey is going to get handled in June.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Mar 10 2009, 05:18 AM) [snapback]427535[/snapback]
Cotto's Jab is top 3 P4P. Clottey is going to get handled in June.

If Cotto's jab is so good, what happened to it in the Margarito fight?
Thegreatequalizer
i think this will be a good competitive fight. cotto may win, but he definitely won't be knocking out clottey.
Douchebag
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Mar 10 2009, 12:57 PM) [snapback]427541[/snapback]

The Jab was there that night and if you deny that I really don't know what to tell you. What wasn't there was the hold which was the only thing that Cotto needed to pull that fight out. You need more than just a good Jab to beat Tony as evidenced by the Mosley fight.
Douchebag
QUOTE(Thegreatequalizer @ Mar 10 2009, 01:32 PM) [snapback]427546[/snapback]
i think this will be a good competitive fight. cotto may win, but he definitely won't be knocking out clottey.

I won't go as far as to say that Cotto KO's Clottey, but I don't think there is going to be any doubt as to who the better fighter is after the fight.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Mar 10 2009, 01:19 PM) [snapback]427549[/snapback]
The Jab was there that night and if you deny that I really don't know what to tell you. What wasn't there was the hold which was the only thing that Cotto needed to pull that fight out. You need more than just a good Jab to beat Tony as evidenced by the Mosley fight.

What also wasn't there was the body attack, which has always been Cotto's bread and butter.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Mar 10 2009, 11:57 AM) [snapback]427541[/snapback]

The jab wasnt the key to that fight.

Boxing wasnt either,.....a 'fight' was the key to that fight.

Cotto can outbox, and perhaps out-jab Clottey,....
Fitz
QUOTE(BoxingStill#1 @ Mar 11 2009, 11:39 AM) [snapback]427573[/snapback]
Boxing wasnt either,.....a 'fight' was the key to that fight.

No it wasn't, not in Cotto's case. If he were to fight, it would have ended sooner. Would have been a stupid move on Cotto's part.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Mar 10 2009, 12:19 PM) [snapback]427549[/snapback]

I'm watching Cotto Margarito as I type this. Not overly impressed with Cotto's jab. He looks like he's more interested in lead left hooks and lead right hands.
JonnyBlaze
Cotto/Margarito is a bad fight to watch if you're watching Cotto's jab..He should of kept throwing it but Marg. made him submit and not throw it..I think Cotto's jab is better than Clotteys though..They both have good ones but I favor Cotto..After watching Cotto/Mosley,Cotto found confidence in his jab and really showed what he can do with it..Then he killed Alfonzo Gomez with his jab(Gomez ain't shit,but Cotto showed his confidence in it)..
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Mar 10 2009, 11:57 AM) [snapback]427541[/snapback]

handwraps...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(BoxingStill#1 @ Mar 9 2009, 08:13 PM) [snapback]427486[/snapback]
It doesn't matter if Clottey unifies every belt in that division, he would never generate the money Cotto or any top name would right now.

I would like to see Clottey fight Berto.....

Berto and Cotto would make big bucks, and it would still be a fight for the fans. We would get a glimps of how a fight might be with PBF.

how is that?... berto is no where in the league of floyd in style or substance...
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Mar 11 2009, 10:58 AM) [snapback]427648[/snapback]
handwraps...

Handwrapps had nothing to do with it...
Sugar Q
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Mar 11 2009, 12:56 AM) [snapback]427610[/snapback]
Cotto/Margarito is a bad fight to watch if you're watching Cotto's jab..He should of kept throwing it but Marg. made him submit and not throw it..I think Cotto's jab is better than Clotteys though..They both have good ones but I favor Cotto..After watching Cotto/Mosley,Cotto found confidence in his jab and really showed what he can do with it..Then he killed Alfonzo Gomez with his jab(Gomez ain't shit,but Cotto showed his confidence in it)..

Clottey's skill is not the question it's his heart and killer instinct. A real champion would've still fought hard and figured out a way to win in the Margarito fight even with the injured hand. Skill wise Clottey has the skills to beat Cotto. It's really gonna come down to what he does if Cotto can take his punches and if Cotto can cause Clottey is a legit 147 pounder. I don't think Cotto will be able to steamroll him.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Mar 11 2009, 12:00 PM) [snapback]427649[/snapback]
how is that?... berto is no where in the league of floyd in style or substance...

You know what I meant,....Berto mimics PBF style without the same amount of talent. Maybe even matched with speed.
PR316
Dangerous fight for Cotto. I slightly favor him but I would honestly prefer he fight somebody like Berto first.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Mar 11 2009, 01:14 PM) [snapback]427654[/snapback]
Handwrapps had nothing to do with it...

how can you be so sure? i can sit here and tell you i dont know the answer to that question.
Sugar Q
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Mar 12 2009, 02:11 PM) [snapback]427763[/snapback]
how can you be so sure? i can sit here and tell you i dont know the answer to that question.

Gotta give credit where it's due. Cotto fought a warrior's fight with a bigger warrior and lost. He got hit waaay too much in that fight. That's not to say Margarito wasn't bricked up but he wore Cotto down and took him out. It wouldn't have mattered what he had in his gloves against Shane cause Shane never let him get into his game plan but Cotto believed his own hype and fought a dumb fight.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Mar 12 2009, 02:31 PM) [snapback]427770[/snapback]
Gotta give credit where it's due. Cotto fought a warrior's fight with a bigger warrior and lost. He got hit waaay too much in that fight. That's not to say Margarito wasn't bricked up but he wore Cotto down and took him out. It wouldn't have mattered what he had in his gloves against Shane cause Shane never let him get into his game plan but Cotto believed his own hype and fought a dumb fight.

thats my point tho... we dont know if margarito was bricked up or not for the cotto fight... if they was brickin him up for mosely (which by the way i thought a rep. from the other corner was supposed to be in the room before the wrapping of hands even get started...) what makes you think he wasnt bricked up for cotto... cotto and mosely have two diffrent styles.. mosely isnt gonna get hit with the shots that cotto will take to bring his pain... lets say margarito is bricked up for that cotto fight.. its very relevant in the outcome of the fight... if margs. bricked up then the damage was done and you cant guage what would have happened in that fight if he wasnt bricked up cuzz we dont know... cotto takes shots to give his thats his style... i dont think margs a better fighter than cotto... that fight has an asterik next to it to me now cuzz the question mark is there... we just dont know if marg was up to his cheats in that fight... only marg knows for sure and you know he's not gonna come clean if he was dirty in that fight so really its a mute point to try to prove...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.