Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why no standing 8?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
thisneverworks
The more fights I see that have stoppages that seem premature (Ortiz-Arnaoutis being the most recent example), the more I wonder why the standing 8 count was eliminated in 1998 by the US Association of Boxing Commissions.

Personally, I would much rather have a referee that is quick to give a standing eight count than all these quick stoppages that we see in boxing now.

Let them fight!
D-MARV
I hate the standing 8 count! Thats like cheating.
Jack 1000
I would also favor brining it back on one condition. That it could be used only one per round per fighter. (This is what Pennsylvania's boxing commission used to do.) This way, the new rule (or resurrection of an old rule) would not be abused.) It could help with some of the earlier stoppages that we are seeing. But no fighter should have a second standing 8-count in the same round. If the fighter is in bad enough shape to warrant a second standing 8 count, the match should be stopped.

Jack
thisneverworks
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Mar 8 2009, 02:13 PM) [snapback]427431[/snapback]
I would also favor brining it back on one condition. That it could be used only one per round per fighter. (This is what Pennsylvania's boxing commission used to do.) This way, the new rule (or resurrection of an old rule) would not be abused.) It could help with some of the earlier stoppages that we are seeing. But no fighter should have a second standing 8-count in the same round. If the fighter is in bad enough shape to warrant a second standing 8 count, the match should be stopped.

Jack

That certainly makes sense and I like the idea!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.