Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Barrera -VS- Khan
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Imperius3
Haven't heard much talk about this fight.

Judging by how Khan got KTFO by the first power punch Prescott landed, I'm pretty confident Barrera will land a sharp counter and get Khan out of there.

Barrera TKO 8
Mean Mister Mustard
Khan's team are expecting a fat, slow Barerra to show up so Khan can outbox him. But if the Barerra of the JMM and 2nd Pacquiao fight shows up then Khan is in a Khan't Win situation.
ROLL DEEP
To be honest, I have NO IDEA why Khans team took this fight.

He's still young, recently suffered a devestating KO loss, so why put him in with an experienced LEGEND, in Barrera?

It's make or break. I know Barrera is past it, but it's still Barrera. He's forgotten more than Khans ever learned. I see Khan starting well, keeping it at a distance, using his reach and picking up the 10-9 rounds, but as the fight goes on, I see MAB getting a little more comfortable, clipping him with counters and roughing him up before catching Khan with a SWEET counter to end the fight. Khans always had a questionable chin and I'm sure Marco can expose it again.

A lot of UK boxers and promoters are picking Khan to win....national pride or do they know something we don't?
Lil-lightsout
I will take Khan by a clear cut win. I do not think Freddy would throw him in there with Marco if he did not think he could win. Plus all his sparring with Pac has probably benefitted Khan greatly physically and mentally. Khan got caught with some huge punches by Prescott early, I highly doubt Barrera can do the same. After seeing MAB fight the last couple of years, it is obvious he can not pull the trigger anymore(like he used to). He definately has not shown to be as bad as an RJ or Morales, but maybe Khan's youth just might make MAB look like an old man?
dbdbdb
Khan and his team are using the old method of adding credibility to the boxing record. {Fight an Old-Head close to retirement}

BIG MISTAKE!!!!!

If Khan comes out there without the proper respect for who he's fighting ... he will get his hat handed to him. This will be another major setback for him. And his team will have to face reality again {Amir Khan doesn't have a chin} sure he has good talent, but once he gets clipped ... its over.

If Barrera has something to prove and comes into that ring ready ........ Khan is going to have big problems.

Barrera = W
kidbazooka1
If Barrera comes in looking like he did in his last fight Khan might just have a chance but if Barrera is even half as good as he was he stops Khan.
King Eugene
Khan gets embarressed by this old cat. Barrera gets another big time title fight and loses in Jones vs. Calzaghe fashion!
Fitz
Except Barrera would never curl up and close his eyes and hopes everything just goes away, he would take his beating like a man.
Big Slim Sweet
I agree this fight has me scratching my head a bit. I'm definitely intrigued and may even shell out the $25 for it. It does seem like either Khan's team knows something nobody else does, or they're making a huge miscalculation. The last two times I saw Barrera he was losing fairly competitive decisions to the two best p4p fighters in the world. I have no idea what's giving Khan's people the impression that Marco is shot enough for their man to make a name off of.
Fitz
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Mar 11 2009, 03:48 AM) [snapback]427538[/snapback]
I agree this fight has me scratching my head a bit. I'm definitely intrigued and may even shell out the $25 for it. It does seem like either Khan's team knows something nobody else does, or they're making a huge miscalculation. The last two times I saw Barrera he was losing fairly competitive decisions to the two best p4p fighters in the world. I have no idea what's giving Khan's people the impression that Marco is shot enough for their man to make a name off of.

Yeah that's what I was saying earlier. He lost clearly, but was competitive against Pacquiao and Marquez, but for some reason he relegated himself in touring the world like a shot fighter. I don't think there is anything wrong with what Barrera is doing, he really seems to have the 'old school' career. But what a strange fight, I'm not against it at all though, if anything I am for it. Khan is testing himself against a very good, still dangerous experienced veteran and this is also a test to see where Barrera is at. Like I said, not against it, but this is one of the strangest fights I have seen in a while and pretty intrigued by it.
hardhead
I think Khan's people are banking on Barrera being higher then his natural weight and that that is going to be an important factor in Khan's favor. The gameplan for Khan will more than likely be boxing from the outside(use the jab, reach, and physical strength in the clinches over Barrera) and not taking very many chances of getting caught. Of course, even though Barrera is past his prime I believe he has something left and that this is a dangerous fight for Khan, especially coming off a KO loss. It is a very intriguing fight.
Rabbit Punch2
It is career suicide for Khan. Even if he gets by an aged MAB (unlikely) the expectations from such a win will put him in position to be brutally KO'd in a very healthy division. He needs to be handled very delicately, in Europe, to get the most money out of him. He just is not strong enough to hang with the big boys.
and the NEW
This one will be very very hard for Kahn, definately odds in the favour of Marco.

Though he has some supurb boxing ability, that chin has prooven to be a big worry (unfortunately).

JLUVBABY
with the lack of quality fights coming on this weekend for $25 bucks i think imma buy this fight card.. wont be surprised if ol enzo gets clipped in his fight neither...
Jack 1000
Yea,

The more this fight approaches, the more difficult it is to predict. I see one of two things:

Kahn gets blown out within say 5 rounds by the more experienced fighter. OR Barrera is a shadow of his former self and Kahn wins only because Barrera is so shot. Kahn's people have to be banking on the latter.

It won't be easy for Barrera to win a decision in the UK. It also won't be easy to Kahn to KO Barrera. This is certainly a tough fight to call and one that I would not even want to bet on. The closest 50/50 fight in a long time.

Kudos for a reasonable PPV price of $25.

Jack
and the NEW
Yeh, it's all about the whiskers for me, because I think Kahn has the ability to outbox this Marco. Luckily, many fighters get clipped and KOd early in their career, only to see them go the distance with some very big punchers as their career progresses, or perhaps I am just dreaming in this case..........
Fitz
QUOTE(and the NEW @ Mar 12 2009, 09:46 AM) [snapback]427676[/snapback]
Yeh, it's all about the whiskers for me, because I think Kahn has the ability to outbox this Marco. Luckily, many fighters get clipped and KOd early in their career, only to see them go the distance with some very big punchers as their career progresses, or perhaps I am just dreaming in this case..........

Eg- Mundine
PR316
I'm gonna say Kahn via UD. I think Marco is too old and not fast enough at this point in his career to get to the younger man. Barrera will be dangerous early on but as the fight gets to the later rounds, I see Kahn getting into his groove and using his speed and quickness to earn a deserved decision.
Maxy
All it will take is one moment of bravado, one lack of concentration and Khan will find himself on the end of a knock out defeat.

Thing is why have Khans people taken the fight? Obviously they believe Amir will win so perhaps they know more than I do about the current shape, mind state and motivation of Barrera. If MAB hits Khan cleanly, just once, Khan is going to be all over the place. I just can't see how that cannot happen so I'm picking MAB by KO.
D-MARV
Khan will win via UD after some scary moments early on.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(and the NEW @ Mar 11 2009, 05:46 PM) [snapback]427676[/snapback]

lennox lewis is a good example of this.. he was one punched twice yet took the best blows of vitali klitschko and a few other major punchers... weird how the chin works on some fighters...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.