Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Canchilla vs. Segura: Azteca TV@ 10PM CST RBR/Postfight
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
According to Box Rec and Max Boxing this fight is scheduled tonight on the Spanish Network Cable/Dish Station, Azteca TV. According to BoxRec, this is a REMATCH of their first fight, which was a war, televised on the Cotto-Margarito undercard and won by Canchilla on a UD:

Read about the first fight here:

http://www.boxrec.com/media/index.php?title=Fight:1327595

Jack
hardhead
This was an EXCELLENT 4 round slugfest and even though Segura had Canchilla down twice and won every round on my score card, Canchilla was game and landing some big shots on Segura, he just couldn't hurt him. I think Canchilla would've done better had he tried to use a little more movement and angles and counter Segura walking in. He stood in front of Segura and traded way too much and he paid for it.

However, I think the ref was grossly incompetent in the final sequence. The bell basically sounded and Segura clearly hit Canchilla after the bell, but no big deal right? It happens, the ref usually jumps in and separates the two fighters and sends them to the corner. Thing is, Segura kept on hitting Canchilla, who at this point looks at the ref while the ref does nothing, another bell sounds, and Segura keeps hitting Canchilla, another bell, the ref does nothing, Segura keeps hitting, then finally after Segura is battering Canchilla on the ropes after the bell has already rung like 3 times, a forth bell sounds and the ref jumps in and stops the fight. Ridiculous!!

Look, Segura was likely to get the stoppage soon and that is fine by me, I've heard people say that the ref should've stopped the fight in the first round because Canchilla was so wobbly and getting beat badly BUT that is a judgement call(plus it's the first round, I mean you give a guy a chance when it's that early), what the ref did in the final round was gross incompetence. When the bell rings it is the referee's job to separate the fighters, but thing is the bell rang like 3 times while he sat there letting Segura pound Canchilla against the ropes. I mean I can understand the ref not hearing the first bell, but the second and third? The guy was either deaf or just daydreaming...

I don't know, Canchilla was taking a beating but stil fighting back hard, but what the refereee did in the final round was ridiculous. It was one of those things that just pissed me off.
kidbazooka1
Damn that was a pretty good fight Segura was doing most of the damage but Canchilla was game and firing back. As for the stoppage Canchilla was definifly hurt and ready to go but the ref was off i don't know if he couldn't hear the bell because of the crowd or what but he was much too late in stepping in.

Good fight though Segura is like a little whirlwind the guy just keeps going that KD in the 2nd rd was f*Cking hilarious aswell.
Jack 1000
I agree about the ref and the bell. That was bullshit! He allowed Canchilla to take about 15-20 seconds of unfair punishment. Yes, Canchilla was hurt very very badly, was down twice, battered and beaten, but I would at least protest to the WBA about the timing of the 4th round, and the ref doing nothing for about 20 seconds AFTER the bell had sounded.

Did the Spanish commentators acknowledge this issue? This was a good although one-sided slugfest. The only other thing. Azteca TV on my cable system (Time Warner) programs the time slot for 2 hours. But Azteca ran ALL preliminary bouts. Tivo or DVR users should be sure to add an extra hour of recording time because this is like the second or third fight from Azteca TV where the timing of the card is much longer than the timing in the guide.

It's 1-1 for both. Bring on a rubber match! (With the understanding by all parties that action stops when the bell ends the round.)

Jack
JLUVBABY
damn i thought i had this channel i guess not.. i have dish network.. imma have to pull out my channel guide list... i looked for it but couldnt find it...
JLUVBABY
damn i thought i had this channel i guess not.. i have dish network.. imma have to pull out my channel guide list... i looked for it but couldnt find it...
hardhead
Here it is on youtube Segura vs Canchilla
Mean Mister Mustard
Segura is a whirlwind and punches very hard. But he fights with a Hamed stance only thing is he has nowehere near the relfexes and speed of The Prince. Plus he seems to be more of a wild Ponce De Leon puncher than a crisp puncher.
Jack 1000
Let the record show that this ref, Julio Alvarado, was the same official that allowed Lloyd Honeyghan to be floored six times by Mark Breland in 3 rounds before the fight was stopped. Sorry that I can't recall more recent instances. Number of knockdowns isn't always significant. Richard Steele who made a mark in the sport with some early stoppages in his reffing career allowed five knockdowns in Tszyu's fight with Jake Rodriguez.

The point isn't the number of knockdowns, but the fact that Mr. Alvarado appeared oblivious to what was going on in some important moments of the fight.

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.