Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V. Klitschko vs. Gomez: WBC Heavyweight Title
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Jack 1000
This Saturday on ESPN is the WBC Heavyweight Title between Vitali Klitscko defending against Juan Gomez. My early prediction is Klitschko by KO 9. Gomez might make it interesting, but as a natural Cruiserweght, he's just too small.

The only downside is that this is a WBC title fight and unless the German Boxing Commission nullifies it, open scoring after rounds 4 and 8 will likely be used. This is important because in Vitali's title winning effort against Peter, we saw Peter quit after the 8th round when the open scoring was announced. One can never dismiss the potential for negativity in boxing in which this system is used.

Jack
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Mar 16 2009, 09:27 PM) [snapback]428462[/snapback]
This Saturday on ESPN is the WBC Heavyweight Title between Vitali Klitscko defending against Juan Gomez. My early prediction is Klitschko by KO 9. Gomez might make it interesting, but as a natural Cruiserweght, he's just too small.

The only downside is that this is a WBC title fight and unless the German Boxing Commission nullifies it, open scoring after rounds 4 and 8 will likely be used. This is important because in Vitali's title winning effort against Peter, we saw Peter quit after the 8th round when the open scoring was announced. One can never dismiss the potential for negativity in boxing in which this system is used.

Jack

i hate open scoring!!!
BigG
Wow..ummm...Klitschko...
King Eugene
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Mar 16 2009, 10:27 PM) [snapback]428462[/snapback]

Jack

Exactly what time?
Jack 1000
QUOTE(3King3 @ Mar 17 2009, 12:27 AM) [snapback]428477[/snapback]
Exactly what time?

My TWC cable guide says 4PM (CST)

So this will be LIVE.

Jack
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 17 2009, 03:30 AM) [snapback]428486[/snapback]
Let's cut all the crap and do the fight post fight discussion now.

Wow, Gomez really sucked out there. Vitali smashed him, what's next for Vitali?

laugh.gif You are probably right. You never know though in boxing, we had Wlad-Sanders, Lewis-Rahman, Mcall-Lewis, Tyson-that white scrub that beat him in his last fight that I forgot his freaking name. It is nice to have an upset sometimes.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 17 2009, 02:30 AM) [snapback]428486[/snapback]
Let's cut all the crap and do the fight post fight discussion now.

Wow, Gomez really sucked out there. Vitali smashed him, what's next for Vitali?

Ha ha. Exactly. I'd like to take it a step further if I may. Vitali blasted him but who cares? The only HW fight that matters right now is Vitali vs. Wlad and we'll never get to see it. Man the heavyweight division is garbage. Oh well, at least we have Roy-Shieka tonight to look forward to. (just kidding about that last part).

Then there'll be a David Haye-Chris Arreola debate as far as which one has the better chance to become the division's savior. This will lead Jonny to talk about how much he hates Arreola and start spouting pearls of wisdom his trainer gave him about keeping in shape betwene fights, everyone will gang up on him for a bit and that'll be that.
JLUVBABY
my question is who picked gomez in the vote and why?.. not critisizing the vote just wondering...
Jack 1000
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Mar 17 2009, 12:58 PM) [snapback]428517[/snapback]
my question is who picked gomez in the vote and why?.. not criticizing the vote just wondering...

Not me,

But an upset although unlikely is not out of line. Sure, Klitschko looked great against Peter. But Peter was such a disgrace that night it was sickening. One of, the worst displays I have ever seen for a so-called heavyweight champion. Let's see what happens to Vitali's heart and offense when he starts getting hit and hurt back. We haven't seen that type of two-sided action since Vitali lost on that horrible cut to Lewis. When an opponent starts hitting him back, we will see just how much the layoff affected Vitali and how much his heart is into boxing. Remember all of the mental preparations and injuries that he was proclaiming that stopped a lot of his fights or postponed them? This is a main reason why I included the poll. Because if Vitali's heart isn't in the right place and Gomez starts testing him, it could get very, very interesting.

I still pick Vitali because of the weight issue. But Gomez is no slouch.

Jack
King Eugene
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Mar 17 2009, 12:49 PM) [snapback]428511[/snapback]
Ha ha. Exactly. I'd like to take it a step further if I may. Vitali blasted him but who cares? The only HW fight that matters right now is Vitali vs. Wlad and we'll never get to see it. Man the heavyweight division is garbage. Oh well, at least we have Roy-Shieka tonight to look forward to. (just kidding about that last part).

Then there'll be a David Haye-Chris Arreola debate as far as which one has the better chance to become the division's savior. This will lead Jonny to talk about how much he hates Arreola and start spouting pearls of wisdom his trainer gave him about keeping in shape betwene fights, everyone will gang up on him for a bit and that'll be that.

This always happens. Its pretty much garunteed to play out just like this. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Mar 17 2009, 01:22 PM) [snapback]428521[/snapback]
Not me,

But an upset although unlikely is not out of line. Sure, Klitschko looked great against Peter. But Peter was such a disgrace that night it was sickening. One of, the worst displays I have ever seen for a so-called heavyweight champion. Let's see what happens to Vitali's heart and offense when he starts getting hit and hurt back. We haven't seen that type of two-sided action since Vitali lost on that horrible cut to Lewis. When an opponent starts hitting him back, we will see just how much the layoff affected Vitali and how much his heart is into boxing. Remember all of the mental preparations and injuries that he was proclaiming that stopped a lot of his fights or postponed them? This is a main reason why I included the poll. Because if Vitali's heart isn't in the right place and Gomez starts testing him, it could get very, very interesting.

I still pick Vitali because of the weight issue. But Gomez is no slouch.

Jack

i wasnt critisizing the pick.. matter of fact i cant really knock someone for making that pick gomez is a skilled heavyweight... i was just asking who picked him...lol... chances are he wont win but there is someone amongst us that really thinks he will win and i would like them to post a comment as to why they think he has a chance.. it might be valid points... i would just like to know the reason for that vote.
D-MARV
I wonder what Jonny will say when Arreola Knocks out one of the Klits?
Blayde
I voted for Gomez by decision. That being said I do not think he will really win, though biggrin.gif

I just didnt want that vote to become a 100% thing because I believe the impression a lot of people have of Gomez not being a challenge is wrong. I assume he wont be in shape and he will be satisfied with the payday, but even if thats the case, I think he might have the tools to give Vitali some trouble in the early rounds.

I think its not unlikely that Vitali will stop Gomez with the scorecards saying something like 67-66.
D-MARV
I might be alone with this one but I dont see this fight lasting 3 rounds. Give me Vitali KO3.

JLUVBABY
i just havent seen enough of gomez i guess.. i see the size diffrence for starters and i know he has some descent wins and was ko'd in one by all people yanqui diaz.. that dont bode well for him fighting probably the best heavy in the division... i hope for the sake of the division he can pull it off but i just dont see it.. i will be rootin for gomez though... we dont need both brothers at the top.
D-MARV
Maybe the Diaz fight was an off night but I just don't see Gomez posing much of a threat
ROLL DEEP
I'm with Vitali in this fight.

He's an intelligent fighter, always in shape, on a confidence high after smashing Peter up and the much bigger man.

He'll stop Gomez in the later rounds I think. Around 9 or 10.

Both will start off cautious for the first few rounds, before Vitali starts finding his rang with the right hand. He wont be landing as often as in the Peter fight (well, I hope not) and Gomez will do well, but before long, Vitali will hurt Gomez and finish him.
D-MARV
Did you guys know that chris Byrd was fighting on the Undercard? He will be fighting as a Cruiserweight.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Mar 19 2009, 09:47 AM) [snapback]428837[/snapback]
Did you guys know that chris Byrd was fighting on the Undercard? He will be fighting as a Cruiserweight.

Ugh. More bad news.
BGv2.0
I just think Gomez is to small and way too damn old to actually beat Vitali.

People refer to his skill and talent....and there is no doubt he was a skilled fighter in the lighter division. BUT....the guy has literally wasted away for the past 5-6 years at HW....long bouts of inactivity coupled with the occasional HW fight with named but less than steller HW comp....such as Sam, McCall, Diaz.....I just think any skills that may have once helped him in a fight with an opponent this size will be all but gone come Sat.

The guy has literally sat and stagnated at the division. 12 total fights in 7 years. Now....that would be ok if they were all with top notch opp....but 8 of those are total tomato cans. The other 4 being a UGLY KO loss to Diaz, 2 with an ancient Oliver McCall (one of which is a NC due to cocaine use) and a boring UD over Sam.

IMHO that is not going to get you ready for the likes of even an older, slower Vitali.

I have heard he is in extreamly good shape....so that might allow him to go into the later rounds, but I just don't see how he will be able to endure the size disadvantage for 12 rounds. It's not like he packs a huge punch either.

I'd like to see him double and triple up on the jab and then come underneth with a sustained body shot....and I think he has the speed to do so....but his age and his years of mediocracy I believe will catch up with him and allow Vitali to take him out late.

Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Mar 19 2009, 10:47 AM) [snapback]428837[/snapback]

I guess the last ass kicking he got did not sink in. For his sake, maybe he is fighting a scrub.
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Mar 19 2009, 01:02 PM) [snapback]428867[/snapback]
People refer to his skill and talent....and there is no doubt he was a skilled fighter in the lighter division. BUT....the guy has literally wasted away for the past 5-6 years at HW
I have heard he is in extreamly good shape....so that might allow him to go into the later rounds, but I just don't see how he will be able to endure the size disadvantage for 12 rounds. It's not like he packs a huge punch either.

I'd like to see him double and triple up on the jab and then come underneth with a sustained body shot....and I think he has the speed to do so....but his age and his years of mediocracy I believe will catch up with him and allow Vitali to take him out late.

Pretty much what I think.

Gomez's pedigree will help him survive into the later rounds. He'll do well, have some success, but eventually, Vitali will find his range and pick Gomez apart.
ROLL DEEP
Oh, forgot to say....

URRGGH.

Chris Byrd's fighting. Urrgghh.
D-MARV
Yep. Tony Thompspn is fighting too.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I'm surprised that this poll even included the option to vote for Gomez, surely these are comedy votes?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.